PDA

View Full Version : Can (Greater) Arcane Fusion be Twinned/Repeated?

AnonymousPepper
2014-07-17, 08:27 PM
I'm doing some theoretical crunching for my Mailman as to how hard he could nova if he had to, and I realized, can't you Twin Arcane Fusion to - with the effects of Arcane Spellsurge - fire off six spells in a round (or eight, with Rapid Metamagic)?

Why yes, that will be one Avasculate+Assay SR and three Disintegrate+Enervations please!

A_S
2014-07-17, 09:04 PM
Yes.

You can also cast Celerity with one/both of the spells granted, allowing way more than 8 spells/round.

You can also use Sanctum Spell to lower the spell level of (Greater) Arcane Fusion, allowing you to use the spell to cast itself, giving you NI number of spells, unlimited by actions/spellslots.

These spells can be kind of broken sometimes.

AnonymousPepper
2014-07-18, 01:03 AM
I... I hadn't thought of this before....

Sanctum Spell Arcane Fusion: My God, it's full of stars!

Vogonjeltz
2014-07-19, 01:16 AM
Yes.

You can also cast Celerity with one/both of the spells granted, allowing way more than 8 spells/round.

You can also use Sanctum Spell to lower the spell level of (Greater) Arcane Fusion, allowing you to use the spell to cast itself, giving you NI number of spells, unlimited by actions/spellslots.

These spells can be kind of broken sometimes.

Sanctum spell doesn't make the underlying spell a different level. Fireball is still 3rd level regardless.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-07-19, 02:07 AM
All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level.
If applying a metamagic feat to a spell, use the adjusted spell level and casting time for purposes of determining eligibility for arcane fusion.Emphasis mine. The trick works. It's TO and should never see the light of a table, but it works.

Vogonjeltz
2014-07-19, 09:13 AM
Effects of Metamagic Feats on a Spell
In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original spell level, even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell. Saving throw modifications are not changed unless stated otherwise in the feat description.

I see your spell description, and raise you a core rule.

*it makes more sense if I had remembered to include this line:

A sanctum spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-07-19, 12:13 PM
Specific trumps general. Normally, metamagic only changes the spell slot and not the effective level of the spell. But Sanctum Spell does the opposite.

A_S
2014-07-19, 01:45 PM
There's a RAI argument to be made that "adjusted spell level" means "the level of the spell slot you prepare it in," since that's clearly what it's supposed to mean in the case of, say, an Empowered Fireball. But Sanctum Spell's "all effects dependent on spell level" is pretty clear as far as RAW goes. By my reading it does work.

Jack_Simth
2014-07-19, 01:54 PM

More like "cheese", but yes, 2001 makes for some great quotes.

Basically, unless they're immune, they die to your infinite barrage of low-level spells. Because you can use the Sanctum Spell on the other spell, too, this means Arcane Fusion + Sanctum Spell lets you spam nearly all of your 2nd and 1st level spells infinitely the first time your turn comes up. Note, however, that a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability on your target will ruin your day... until you realize your scorching rays can bring the house down simply by burning away all of the supports for the surrounding stone. Drop a nice 10 foot cube of dungeon material on them.

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-19, 02:12 PM

Yup when you stare at the Sanctum Spell Arcane Fusion, the Sanctum Spell Arcane Fusion stares back at you.

AnonymousPepper
2014-07-19, 07:43 PM
Yup when you stare at the Sanctum Spell Arcane Fusion, the Sanctum Spell Arcane Fusion stares back at you.

...Can I sig this