PDA

View Full Version : [Week 3] Which is the Playground's favorite monster? - Obey the Law(ful)!

Yael
2014-07-17, 11:03 PM
Here is the point: We all put here our favorite creature/monster, and then at the end of each day "this" post will be updated with a table containing which creature has been selected and how many people do love it. At the end of the week we will see which monster is your favorite of the selected type or subtype. Every type and subtype will be randomly selected (by me, or at the forum dice, taking suggestions from you, fellow playgrounders,) or it could be in order, we'll see if this gets crowded enough. Remember that this isn't a competition, it is just a little game, so don't try to convince others to change their choices as they have their favorite monsters as you have yours. I'm not planning to show every nickname, so I want to order it from books/sources where they are found, also I will make a top 5 if we reach enough votes.

This week type/subtype is:

Lawful Subtype!
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG18.jpg

My vote: My only vote (I only have one favorite this week,) goes to the Marut. First of all, I love that plane where they come from (The Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus.) Secondly, I got to play one when my character (a chosen one of Nyarlathotep) got imbued with the essence of chaos itself, polymorphing myself without asking and converting me into 9 different creatures (separated by alignment,) one of them was a Marut (of course, Lawful Neutral.)

The date to finish the count will be Thursday, July the 24th; from that point on, no vote will be added to the popularity table, but feel free to keep commenting your favorites.

The sources you can use to pick your favorite are on the list below, also if you have more than one favorite, don't hesitate to show it to us! No creature whose entry wasn't originally of the selected type is allowed (for example: if the week's monster type is: Dragon, no Dragonwrought Kobold is available, just creatures with the Dragon type as their base creature are allowed, in this case; DW Kobold got it fom a feat.) At the same time, no creatures that obtained their subtype are allowed to be chosen (for example, Dragonblood subtype week, no dragonborn human is allowed, because human wasn't originally intended to have dragonblood subtype, but its subtype is "dragonblood" because of the Dragonborn template; however Silverbrow human is allowed because its original subtype IS dragonblood.)

Creature
Source

Votes

Archon, Lantern
Monster Manual, p16

Archon, Word
Tome of Magic, p264

Asmodeus, Lord of the Ninth
Fiendish Codex II - Tyrants of the Nine Hells, p55

Formian
Monster Manual, p108

Hell Hound
Monster Manual, p151

Imp
Monster Manual, p56

Inevitable, Kolyarut
Monster Manual, p159

Inevitable, Marut
Monster Manual, p158

Inevitable, Quarut
Fiend Folio, p102

Modrons
Dragon Magazine #354, p35
Manual of the Planes's Web Enhancement

1st Inevitable, Marut.
http://www.cranialherbs.com/srd/doc/SRD/img/MonstersH-I.Inevitable.jpg
• Any 3.0 Edition sourcebook.
• Any 3.5 Edition corebook & sourcebook.
• Any Dragon Magazine (add issue number.)
• Official online material allowed (include your link.)
• DragonLance Campaign.
• Eberron Campaign.
• Forgotten Realms Campaign.
• Kingdoms of Kalmar Campaign.
• Legend of the Five Rings Campaign.
• World of Warcraft RPG Edition.
• No Pathfinder.
• No homebrewed material.

[Week 1] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359801-Week-1-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster&p=17712990#post17712990) Aberration Type.
[Week 2] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361173-Week-2-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Dungeons-and-_______&p=17748761#post17748761) Dragon Type.
[Week 3] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362428-Week-3-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Obey-the-Law(ful)!&p=17787914#post17787914) Lawful Subtype.

nyjastul69
2014-07-17, 11:26 PM
Lantern Archon. (Pew, pew)

Thurbane
2014-07-18, 02:58 AM
Imp - best Improved Familiar money can buy.

Inevitability
2014-07-18, 04:23 AM
Hm... Tough, but I'm voting for Imps.

Teh_das
2014-07-18, 04:35 AM
Modrons, the embodiment of lawful neutral. Because all I know is that my gut says maybe.

Twilightwyrm
2014-07-18, 05:07 AM
I think I'll second Maruts. Lumbering giant with fists or thunder and lightning bringing death to those that flat out defy it.

Eldan
2014-07-18, 05:18 AM
Modrons. I love them, ever since reading The Great Modron March/Dead Gods. If that is not specific enough (it probably isn't, since otherwise "Baatezu" as a whole would be a strong contender too), I'll vote "Quadrone", for being the most iconic and the one people probably think of. The four-armed or winged cube on legs.

Socksy
2014-07-18, 06:29 AM
I don't often use Lawful subtyped monsters... I think I'd have to go for imps!

Brookshw
2014-07-18, 06:43 AM
Going with inevitables, Quarut specifically.

Yael
2014-07-18, 07:02 AM
Modrons, the embodiment of lawful neutral. Because all I know is that my gut says maybe.

Modrons. I love them, ever since reading The Great Modron March/Dead Gods. If that is not specific enough (it probably isn't, since otherwise "Baatezu" as a whole would be a strong contender too), I'll vote "Quadrone", for being the most iconic and the one people probably think of. The four-armed or winged cube on legs.

I would love to know the source of Modrons (if 3.Xe), my google-fu skills aren't that good.
If they aren't 3e, I also apreciate the fact of another creatures coming into the show!

Forrestfire
2014-07-18, 07:24 AM
I really like Modrons, myself. Always thought they were really cool (Dragon Magazine #354).

After that, probably Maruts. Modrons are all kinds of awesome, though.

Vhaidara
2014-07-18, 07:24 AM
I believe Modrons are either Manual of the Planes or Planar Handbook.

Inevitables as a whole, if that's a legal vote. Otherwise a tie between the Kolyarut (I just think they look badass), and the Marut (one of my fellow players actually has a Marut mini, so we use it for Enlarge Person).

I still want to play a monstrous campaign as an inevitable whose programming got borked.

ddude987
2014-07-18, 07:36 AM
Quarut inevitable because those things are terrifying. I never want to fight one again... but it would be cool to see one fight Dr. Who (unless that was done somewhere in the 100 seasons or however many)

Eldan
2014-07-18, 08:30 AM
I would love to know the source of Modrons (if 3.Xe), my google-fu skills aren't that good.
If they aren't 3e, I also apreciate the fact of another creatures coming into the show!

Planescape, originally, so AD&D. The original Exemplars oft law unser Primus, before Orcus killed him and the Formians invaded Mechanus from Arcadia.

afroakuma
2014-07-18, 08:58 AM
My vote goes to modrons. There was a web enhancement to the Manual of the Planes for 3.0 that had them, and a Dragon magazine article that updated the worker castes for 3.5 as well as a tertian in Dungeon.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-18, 09:02 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Word Archons. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060302b&page=3)

Red-headed stepchild or not, Truenaming is still rad as a concept, and Word Archons have a mission and background that I find a fair bit more compelling than what you get with other Archons. :smallcool:

dysprosium
2014-07-18, 09:06 AM
Put me down for the modrons as well!

I remember being really excited when I first saw the web enhancement for them.

Leviting
2014-07-18, 09:44 AM
Kolyarut. Mostly because of Obligatum VII.

FidgetySquirrel
2014-07-18, 11:41 AM
I like Formians, but I have no clue why.

The Viscount
2014-07-18, 12:03 PM
My favorite are the Inevitables. I love their concept, and to me they are the best embodiment of law, more so than the formians. If I have to be specific, I would choose the Kolyarut (could you guess) as he seems to have the best defined "portfolio" and is well equipped to deal with oathbreakers. Enervation at 200 feet is no joke.

heavyfuel
2014-07-18, 12:54 PM
My vote goes to the Kolyarut as well. Really great guy to throw against the Chaotic lowish level party. Not to mention the fact that it looks as cool as cool can be, and that it's the most iconic of the inevitables.

Kalmageddon
2014-07-18, 01:09 PM
What's the name of that race of floaty headed monsters from the Positive Energy Plane? I think they may be called Lumi but I'm not sure...
Anyway, I really like their fluff, the idea that these guys are pure Law and therefore see even the mildes deception as an unforgivable offense and I also like the idea that they go around the multiverse invading other planes to have their crusades against Chaos, which are obviously unwelcome from even the most lawful mortal communities.

Svata
2014-07-18, 01:19 PM
Top 3.
1. Modrons
2. Asmodeus
3. Maruts

Amphetryon
2014-07-18, 01:41 PM
I like Formians, but I have no clue why.

This right here. I agree.

Yael
2014-07-21, 01:07 AM
People sure don't like Lawful creatures that much D:

erok0809
2014-07-21, 01:25 AM
Lantern Archon for the pew pew lasers

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-21, 01:58 AM
Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060302b&page=3)For completeness's sake, Word Archons are originally from Tome of Magic, p264. I just figured I'd give the link since it existed. :smallsmile:

Dr. Clich้
2014-07-21, 02:57 AM
1) Purple Dragon (if I'm remembering his alignment correctly)
2) Blue Dragon
3) Imp

Yael
2014-07-21, 03:53 AM
For completeness's sake, Word Archons are originally from Tome of Magic, p264. I just figured I'd give the link since it existed. :smallsmile:

Woa, well that helps even more, thanks for completing it :D

1) Purple Dragon (if I'm remembering his alignment correctly)
2) Blue Dragon
3) Imp

I love how dragons get love even when their week is over, Purple Dragons are Lawful, but they do not have the Lawful Subtype (as Imps do,) nor Blue Dragons; but it is nice to see some draconic-love outside of its week.

About next week, what would you like to see? After leaving your favorite Lawful (subtype) creature, tell me, would you like living dead (undead type)? Or the humanoid?

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Chibi-Adventurers.jpg

Dr. Clich้
2014-07-21, 06:03 AM
I love how dragons get love even when their week is over, Purple Dragons are Lawful, but they do not have the Lawful Subtype (as Imps do,) nor Blue Dragons; but it is nice to see some draconic-love outside of its week.

Ah, apologies, I missed the 'subtype' part. I thought we could just choose anything with a Lawful alignment.

(If I'm honest, I forgot 'lawful' was even a subtype. :smalltongue:)

About next week, what would you like to see? After leaving your favorite Lawful (subtype) creature, tell me, would you like living dead (undead type)? Or the humanoid?

I'll place a vote for the mortally-challenged individuals.

Threadnaught
2014-07-21, 06:16 AM
Undead.
Eeeeee! :smallbiggrin:

As for my vote, it have got to go to an Inevitable, but which one?

Kolyarut, Quarut or Varakhut?

I'll vote Quarut.

Obligatum VII may be badass, but Quarut have just the right amount of humanity and clockwork tin man for me. Varakhut look like upside down Daleks. Though it would be fun to see Varakhuts fight the Obligatum line.

It is Inevitable for the true champion of Law to win.

Raezeman
2014-07-22, 05:07 AM
always had a soft spot for the hell hound!