PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a Faust!

Tellah
2007-03-01, 03:51 PM
I want to build a Lawful Evil sorcerer who summons devils, consorts with devils, and sells his soul to a devil. The only catch is that he'll do his damnedest to use his Profession: Lawyer ranks to get an excellent deal. His theme song will be "Dance of the Knights" from Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet.

What kinds of feats and prestige classes should I look into?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-01, 03:52 PM
There's the Malconvoker out of CScoundrel that may be what you're looking for. Alternatively, the Binder, with a change in Vestiges, may be *exactly* what you're looking for.

Fawsto
2007-03-01, 03:58 PM
Hmmm... The most obvious thing: Leadership.

I know you knew about it, I am just naming the feat. :smalltongue:

Annarrkkii
2007-03-01, 04:16 PM
Thaumaturgist. I know it's so... ugh... core, but I think it's applicable.

Telonius
2007-03-01, 04:22 PM
There may be some PrCs for this in the Book of Vile Darkness, but I don't have a copy and my online source doesn't list them.

Miles Invictus
2007-03-01, 04:58 PM
What sort of "excellent deal" would he be getting? The object lesson of those kinds of stories is that you inevitably get screwed -- even if the deal works out to be everything you expected, you're still going to die eventually, and your soul is still going to be bound to an unholy creature for all eternity.

Stormcrow
2007-03-01, 06:06 PM
Heh, maybe he'll infect his soul with some... devil eating soul virus. Thereby tricking the devil in his dying moment and winning in the face of all adversity?

Khantalas
2007-03-01, 06:08 PM
I don't think Faust would be LE. Though Faustian deal reeks of Binder and Faust himself reeks of Archivist.

JaronK
2007-03-01, 06:08 PM
Nar Daemonbinder from Unapproachable East can be quite useful for this sort of character...

JaronK

darkzucchini
2007-03-01, 06:30 PM
The Diabolist, for BoVD p.56, is someone who deals with devils to gain power and has to sell her soul to a dark power. The class abilities aren't very interesting though. The Disciple of Asmodeus as abilities somewhat more in line of what you are looking for but is more of a worshipper of Asmodeus then someone seaking power for theirself.

Fawsto
2007-03-01, 10:50 PM
I don't think Faust would be LE. Though Faustian deal reeks of Binder and Faust himself reeks of Archivist.

I am Loving this thread XD

kellandros
2007-03-02, 12:12 AM
Of course, the classic trick to pull of is for him to sell his soul to at least 3 different, rival powers. Tricky, especially considering wizards summon outsiders to find out interesting facts for them in the first place...

When dies, they are going to have to fight over which one gets to keep him(shamelessly stolen from John Constantine).

Toliudar
2007-03-02, 12:45 AM
Warlock would also be completely in keeping. Acolyte of the skin?

I love the idea of a Thaumaturgist who keeps selling the same soul over and over and over...

Thomas
2007-03-02, 01:11 AM
Not very surprisingly, Faustian Pacts (with the appropriate game mechanics) are in Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells.

Behold_the_Void
2007-03-02, 01:14 AM
Warlock would also be completely in keeping. Acolyte of the skin?

I love the idea of a Thaumaturgist who keeps selling the same soul over and over and over...

It's like The Producers with more damnation!

I'm not completely familiar with it, but the Binder class from Tome of Magic, I believe it was, sounds right up your alley.

Stevenson
2007-03-02, 06:29 AM
Faust is definitely LN. If I recall, he didn't go out looking for Satan. Not the first time, leastways.

If think, personally, that Faust does indeed reek of Archivist.

Krill
2007-03-02, 07:10 AM
Mongoose put out a Demonologist class for 3.0 in their Encyclopedia Arcane. It was perversely complicated and almost impossible to work for PC's, but still very good fun, and you might pick up some interesting tidbits from it.

Slightly different, but what was the demon-tainted bard-like base class that they reprinted in Best of Dragon? Starts with an 'M' and always looked great fun to play.

Leon
2007-03-02, 08:53 AM
Just make sure to not summon a Wizzard

Tellah
2007-03-02, 01:17 PM
Great responses, guys! Thanks!

The point that Faust himself was more an Archivist is a good one, and getting access to the planar ally spells would get him into Thaumaturgist pretty nicely. Unfortunately, that does away with the fun of using a CHA-based character, and I really want this guy to bluff his way to victory. So I don't think I'll re-create THE Faust - I just want to play with the new rules in the Fiend Folio II.

I think I'll try to rework the Demonologist from BoVD to work with devils, replacing the quasit familiar with an imp, etc. Any thoughts on how to make the most of being a lawyer? For those of you who have played "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney", I'm thinking Edgeworth by day, devil worshipper by night. He'll be an NPC, and I want to make a truly loathsome BBEG out of this guy. Threatening jurors, making key witnesses disappear...

Fax Celestis
2007-03-02, 01:20 PM
It's like The Producers with more damnation!

Woo! Uma Thurman as a Succubus. Mmmmmmmmmm....