PDA

View Full Version : Keeper PC (Fiend Folio)

Pinkcrusade
2014-07-18, 01:22 AM
Greetings, Playground. I was browsing through the Fiend Folio, and I spotted the Keeper and the concept intrigued me (also a monster having a CR = to their ECL was interesting!), I had a few questions you might be able to assist me with.

First, what would you suggest multi-classic this character into? The mimic ability could offer some interesting possibilities.

Also, do you view the stats and RHD/LA of the creature to be worth it? Mimic, their weak poison, DR, blind sense, Resistances all make an intriguing offer

Thanks (it is on page 111)

AlanBruce
2014-07-18, 02:21 AM
I have browsed through that book and found some really good gems for encounters.

The keeper is indeed very tough for its ECL- a bunch of immunities, blindsight, the ability to mimic any weapon )even large sized ones)…

The book suggests they advance as rogues, being their faviored class, but this book is a transition between 3.0 and 3.5, so substituting rogue for Factotum might help, were it not for that massive intelligence penalty. Later going into Chameleon.

Check with your DM if he'll let you roll or use a higher point buy to get good scores for this guy and hopefully mitigate the intelligence penalty.

The fluff says they are too alien for anyone to hold long conversations with, even when trying to be diplomatic, so maybe a Keeper that sticks to shadows and reports to others of its kind via Hivemind.

Of intersting note is that they have beningn transposition at a very large distance as a supernatural ability, although the FF calls it Greater Teleport (again, this book came out way before PH2).

I'd go for it, whether as an oddball npc or an even stranger PC. Just make sure you are aware of the LA + RHD- this guy will be far behind in the party's power curve. As an npc, he should be fine.