PDA

View Full Version : Undead templates

Garonak
2014-07-18, 04:35 AM
I'm wondering what basic undead templates there are out there.
Specifically, undead templates that allow the creature to retain mental scores, class/race abilities with as low increase in CR/LA as possible.
Necropolitan doesn't really fit in fluff-wise.
Death Knight works, but is perhaps a bit too powerful to have more than one in my plan.

The plan is this:
The PCs have just gone through a dungeon and killed a bunch of creatures. Close by in the tunnels a Kobold Dread Necromancer lives, after the PCs looted the corpses and left to report their findings, the kobold crept in and stole the bodies, planning on using them to create undeads to protect himself and his tribe.

If there are no suiting templates how would you price this:
Genereic Undead Template:
+2 str, no con
All HD are changed to d12
Recalculate BA and saves for racial HD.
LA: +1; CR +0? +1?

HammeredWharf
2014-07-18, 04:55 AM
Here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1117261)'s a pretty good list of templates.

The problem with a generic, easily appliable undead template is that the PCs might want to use it. It may not be a problem, but keep it in mind.

LordErebus12
2014-07-18, 05:05 AM
Libris Mortis or Book of Vile Darkness (cant remember which) has a corpse and bone template that are both amazing.

ShurikVch
2014-07-18, 05:25 AM
1. Gravetouched Ghoul - CR +1, LA +2
2. Cauldron Spawn (Dr #340) - CR +2, LA not mentioned, +4 to Dex & Cha, DR 5/-, SR 11 + ½ HD, Claws, Unnerving Presence, treated as Mindless with regards to Enchantment spells

Vhaidara
2014-07-18, 08:44 AM
If there are no suiting templates how would you price this:
Genereic Undead Template:
+2 str, no con
All HD are changed to d12
Recalculate BA and saves for racial HD.
LA: +1; CR +0? +1?

Honestly, drop that to 0 LA and it's a solid template. I'd also say CR +0. The bonus to Str is only really useful to classes that don't benefit from losing their Con (Fighter with 14 Con loses HP on average), so I feel it's fair as a 0 LA template.