PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help Advancing A Fox Companion?

Palanan
2014-07-18, 01:54 PM
I'm trying to advance my animal companion in my first-ever Pathfinder game. I'm following Table 3-8 in the CRB, and not sure about a couple points:

1. Since I have three druid levels, I understand my fox should have 3 HD, or 3d8+3 hp. Do I roll for these, or take the average? And would the average be 4+5+4?

2. Should my fox's saves now work out to Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2? (That's including the +1 increase to Dex.)

3. Does my fox have two feats total, or two feats in addition to what he started with? (I'm guessing the former, but wanted to be sure.) And what would be a good extra feat to take?

Spore
2014-07-18, 02:55 PM
1. 5+4+5. If you roll or not is up to your group and DM. It follows the same lines as your character.

2. Idk which animal companion are you choosing. Fox is a familiar not an animal companion but a familiar. The "dog" companion would be refluffed as fox in my games. Base saves are 3/3/1 though. Add attribute mods and be done with it.

3. Two feats overall.

Palanan
2014-07-18, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Sporeegg
Fox is a familiar not an animal companion but a familiar.

Our DM approved the fox as an animal companion--I'm using the stats from Bestiary 3.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I think that clears everything up.

Urpriest
2014-07-18, 06:31 PM
Our DM approved the fox as an animal companion--I'm using the stats from Bestiary 3.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I think that clears everything up.

The bestiary stats don't tell you anything about how it works as an animal companion. Remember, PF animal companions have different base stats from their stats in the wild, there isn't necessarily any clean way of deriving one from the other.

Palanan
2014-07-18, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Urpriest
Remember, PF animal companions have different base stats from their stats in the wild, there isn't necessarily any clean way of deriving one from the other.

Interesting. And new to me.

He's not exactly an attack fox, so I'll just wing it for now.

Urpriest
2014-07-18, 11:25 PM
Interesting. And new to me.

He's not exactly an attack fox, so I'll just wing it for now.

If you base it on the dog or wolf or the like it will probably work out fine.

Palanan
2014-07-19, 06:36 PM
Well, as it happened the fox was hit by a drow sleep dart and spent most of the session conked out. So it goes.

: /

facelessminion
2014-07-19, 07:04 PM
Agreeing with the sentiment to use the dog or wolf as the base chassis. Wolf also means you would have one big honkin' fox at level 7, which could be nice.

You could ride your fox into battle!

Sagitta
2014-07-21, 08:37 PM
Some foxes do grow to the size of wolves ... or they did until about 150 years ago. See the warrah (http://messybeast.com/extinct/warrah.htm) or 'loup-renard' of the Falkland Islands.