PDA

View Full Version : Help with a dwarven contract

Abzalon
2014-07-18, 05:16 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for help right nowto write a dwarven contract for a 2 years enslavement (to make it quick). One of my players who didn't choose to sign it but was nonetheless forced into it want to check the contract in detail to find a loophole. I have no problem for that, the only thing is, for the purpose of immersion, I do want a "real" contrat, and I'm no lawyer :D

So could you please help me write it?

Some informations on the game:
It's a 2-man game, set in the great rift in the forgotten realms, my party is : a paladin of freedom of Sune, human, and a thri-kreen -lots of classes- hunter (kinda). Last game the paladin found his death by the axe of a madman and the thri-kreen loyal to the death himself chose to bring him back from the dead. But the thri-kreen didn't want to bring him back maimed (or without a level), so he went to see the head of one of the 3 families that "reign" over Eartheart (the capital) and bargain a true resurrection. He didn't have the money, nor the time to make a good bargain so he just accepted the 2 years contract the head asked him for.
where it gets tricky is that the thri kreen doesn't know how to read, so he faked the reading and signed with a mark of some sorts as his signature. When the paladin of freedom woke up and found out that he was basically a slave for the next 2 years he was not that happy about it, and wants to check the contract for any loophole that could get him out of the deal.

about the content of the contract, I don't have much information, I just want something vague enough that can be used to force them into doing whatever the family wants. Be it assassination, robery, discovery, mining, whatever... BTW if you have any idea of interresting things to do, I'll take it :D

thanks in advance for your help, and I hope I'll read from you soon :)

Hazrond
2014-07-18, 05:18 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for help right nowto write a dwarven contract for a 2 years enslavement (to make it quick). One of my players who didn't choose to sign it but was nonetheless forced into it want to check the contract in detail to find a loophole. I have no problem for that, the only thing is, for the purpose of immersion, I do want a "real" contrat, and I'm no lawyer :D

So could you please help me write it?

Some informations on the game:
It's a 2-man game, set in the great rift in the forgotten realms, my party is : a paladin of freedom of Sune, human, and a thri-kreen -lots of classes- hunter (kinda). Last game the paladin found his death by the axe of a madman and the thri-kreen loyal to the death himself chose to bring him back from the dead. But the thri-kreen didn't want to bring him back maimed (or without a level), so he went to see the head of one of the 3 families that "reign" over Eartheart (the capital) and bargain a true resurrection. He didn't have the money, nor the time to make a good bargain so he just accepted the 2 years contract the head asked him for.
where it gets tricky is that the thri kreen doesn't know how to read, so he faked the reading and signed with a mark of some sorts as his signature. When the paladin of freedom woke up and found out that he was basically a slave for the next 2 years he was not that happy about it, and wants to check the contract for any loophole that could get him out of the deal.

about the content of the contract, I don't have much information, I just want something vague enough that can be used to force them into doing whatever the family wants. Be it assassination, robery, discovery, mining, whatever... BTW if you have any idea of interresting things to do, I'll take it :D

thanks in advance for your help, and I hope I'll read from you soon :)

The Thri-keen has no legal authority for the paladin and therefore no right to bargain him, therefore you should free the paladin and make a story arc about the paladin trying to free the thri-keen

Abzalon
2014-07-18, 05:23 PM
Actually you're right now that I think about it, but it could be the first loophole, if the paladin doesn't think about it that way he will be "enslaved" for 2 years, even if he shouldn't be. That could be pointed out by a dwarven lawyer if they don't think about it themselves. But I'll still need a contract.

Toliudar
2014-07-18, 07:23 PM
Maybe you don't need a contract. The paladin wants a 'real' contract so that he can find a way out of it. The contract is a means to get out of the agreement. What if you told the paladin that he's found a loophole in the contract and let them go on their merry way? Roll dice, make knowledge checks, do whatever you want. The players feel like they've scooped the DM, and you get out of a plot device that was clearly going to piss off one, if not both, of the players. Everybody wins!