PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Punch Your PC's In The Face!

INDYSTAR188
2014-07-18, 05:39 PM
Hi Playground!

I do not have the starter set nor have I participated in any of the playtests but my group and I are going to run a quick game tomorrow using the Basic ruleset and the 4 monsters the D&D team have released so far (Hobgoblin, Ochre Jelly, Nothic, Ogre). I am struggling to put together fun and engaging encounters however. I want to use this thread as a place to give DM's a chance to display some of their best designed encounters for inspiration and debate. If you have experience designing and running NEXT encounters or you are looking for someone to PEACH yours please feel free to post it here!

Groundrules:

Criticism is okay provided it's constructive and unoffensive
If you are using traps, terrain effects or puzzles please list the mechanics for them
If you are comfortable, please provide some statistics for your monsters if they are outside of the four already released (HP, Challenge Rating/XP Value, Attack Bonus, Damage, Ability Mod's)
Don't hesitate to ask for help or to give advice

Tholomyes
2014-07-18, 05:50 PM
Normally, I'd say just reflavor them to find something that works, but given your selection, I'm not sure how well that will work. Unless you want to say the Jelly is just a rather Amorphous hobgoblin. Given that 3 of your creatures available to you are CR 2, and even the hobgoblin is pretty deadly when it has an ally, I'd say you'll want at least level 2 PCs, though I'd recommend slightly higher.

As for the encounters, I'll have to think on that a bit, but I'll try to get back to you.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-18, 06:08 PM
Legend of the Crystal... Err something has more monsters.

There is a link on one of the threads here in this forum.

Edit:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?360666-Legacy-of-the-Crystal-Shard-Monsters

akaddk
2014-07-18, 06:12 PM
There is an orc and there is a pie and they are both in a 10'x10' room with one door to access it. The PC's start at the front of the closed door.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-18, 06:14 PM

Edit:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?360666-Legacy-of-the-Crystal-Shard-Monsters

I'm going to be 5 and say what we are all thinking.

Lol, Shard Monsters... :smalltongue:

rlc
2014-07-18, 06:29 PM
okay, so the nothic has an ability to figure out facts and secrets about people, right? what you do is exactly that: have the nothic standing on a ledge, or something, use its weird sight to learn the character's flaw, then have it go someplace, letting the party deal with it later. the nothic should use the flaw to its advantage somehow.

INDYSTAR188
2014-07-18, 08:46 PM
So I should start these guys off at level 3? I was going to have everyone begin at level 2 and give them one 16, have them roll the remaining stats (3d6, reroll 1's).

Edit:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Shard-Monsters

This is perfect, thanks very much!

Has anyone put together their own encounters? I'm wondering how accurate the CR's actually are and if the suggested rules for putting together encounters are appropriate?