PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creating new spells

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-18, 07:46 PM
I have a couple of spell ideas but if you guys want to toss some ideas at me that would be great. Now i am the only person in the party who is willing to play a major caster that isnt just heal bitch so i can keep this going for our entire campaign (which is the ravenloft campaign 6-10 and The Shackled City campaign 1-20) I have a couple of Spell Ideas currently and i want to run them by the community to see what they think Give me your thoughts on each spell and what i should change to make the spell work.

Trial Spell 1
Eye of Flame
Spell lvl 3 Evocation/Conjuration
Duration 1rnd/lvl
Range 25ft
Casting Time 1 Standard Action
Saving Throw Reflex Partial
Effect Magical Eye

You create a visibile orb that creates the ray effect of ray of flame spell. This orb cannot move and it can only fire at a range of 25ft. The orb has 18 hp and an ac of 20. You can make the orb fire the ray of flame spell as a swift action using your caster level to determine damage only (dc of added effect remains 15 ref).

Spell Trial 3
Lights Embrace
Lvl 4 Spell
Evocation
Casting Time 1 Standard
Range Self
Area 30ft radius
Duration 1 min/lvl
Saving Throw Will
Spell Resist yes

You begin to emit light from your body that extends to 30ft. this light acts as regular light at 30ft and low light at an additional 30ft.
if an undead or evil outsider is within the regular light created by the spell they take 1d6/2 caster levels in damage every round.

Trial Spell 4
Lightining shield
Spell level 3
Evocation
casting time 1 min
Range close
Area See text
Duration 24 hours (D)
Saving throw Ref See Text
Spell Resistance yes

Create a sphere around a 5ft sqr/lvl using daggers as the points. You place 3 daggers per 5ft sqr surrounding the area that you wish to cover leaving no two areas unconnected to each other. Each time a creature attempts to enter the area they make a reflex save or take 1d12/lvl in Electric damage as the barrier shocks them, prevents their movement, and destroys one dagger in the circle. After all the daggers have been destroyed or the duration has elapsed the spell ends.

to let you know Yes you do have to carry around a dagger for each charge that you have to use and you do have to use 3 daggers per 5 ft square that you wish to envelope but all the squares must be conjoined in order for the spell to work, tho you can cover a single square in all the daggers that you wish to give the spell more charges in a smaller area if you don't want to protect anyone but yourself.

I know this seems like a lot of daggers for a single spell but you are getting 1d12 damage per level out of each dagger. the spell components are high cost in weight allowing me reason to keep the spell level lower because carrying around 30 daggers is annoying at level 10 and if i didnt do something then i would have to bump this spell up to around a 5th level spell and right now im trying to keep the spells between levels 1-3.

Trial spell 5
Draining Protection Greater
Necromancy
Level 5 Spell
Standard action
Ray
Fortitude Negates
Range close
Spell Resistance yes

Fire a ray out of your finger into an enemy and deal 1d4 points of constitution damage. what ever health was lost from this constitution damage is gained as temporary hit points that last 1 minute/level.
If this spell would to be prepared in a higher spell slot for any reason (metamagic ect.) then it instead deals 1d4 points of con damage per 2 spell levels minus 3 of the slot this spell was prepared in (or cast from if a sorcerer spell)

Trial Spell 6
Internal Cascade Greater
Necromancy
Level 5 Spell
Ray
Range Close
Fortitude Negates
Area 30ft burst
Spell Resistance yes

You fire a ray of death at a target dealing 4 points of constitution damage (fort negate) if the target fails his save then everything that person considers an ally within 30ft burst also makes a fortitude save or take 2 points of constitution damage.

If this spell were to be prepared in a spell slot higher than 5th for any reason then it instead deals damage equivalent to its spell level minus 1 to the initial creature and half that con damage to surrounding creatures.

So this spell might seem more appropriate for its level simply because it is a level 5 spell and the scaling is a lot better because it has a cap of 8 con damage as a level 9 spell which isn't that good all things considered. The damage to the initial creature is really detrimental but will not destroy all surrounding creatures in the same manner meaning you can't simply use the spell to walk in and down an encounter. I know preparing the spell multiple times will make the spell more effective, but it is high enough level that you can't just put it in a wand and repeat use.

Trial spell 7
Lesser Draining Protection
Necromancy
Level 2
Standard action
Ray
Close
Fortitude negates
Spell resistance yes

Fire a ray out of your hand at a creature forcing them to make a fortitude save or take 1d4 points of constitution damage. When the damage is dealt the caster gains 5 temporary hitpoints per point of constitution damage dealt lasting 1 minute per level.

I feel like this spell is appropriate for a caster of 3rd to 8th level and stays within the confines of second level spells simply because of aiming and save along with small amount of ability damage. level 3 this spell will be powerful as i expect your level 3 wizard to have around 17 hit points and on a max roll gain 20 hp from this spell. The average cr 3 encounter is going to deal around 2d6 damage if a single creature and more if multiple creatures. now on a max roll 2d6 plus effects or extra damage ranging from 1-7 (ankheg is 2d6+7 plus 1d4 acid) will down that 17 hp wizard in a single shot but if you take this spell then you can take 2 hits before going down making your wizard a little more durable, but not giving him so much that he can simply take the place of the fighter for more than a single round without having to back off to reapply spells.

With trial spell number 5 added ability we will just have it add damage per spell level at "1d4 damage per 2 spell levels minus 3" this doesn't fix any balancing issues with casters that use other resources to cast metamagics onto spells such as the ultimate magus ability to burn sorcerer slots to apply metamagics to a spell. the reason i make this point is because the ultimate magus could apply a +2-4 metamagic to this allowing them to gain the benefits of the spell but also apply more metamagics making the spell really work the 9th level slot that you would spend. So if you have this spell and apply quicken to it to make it a 9th level spell you deal 3d4 con damage. Then you can maximize empower with your ultimate magus ability so you deal 18 points of con damage and gain tons of hp that you can use to shield yourself. there really is no way for me to fix this spell for classes like that, but what you can try is simply making it a higher level spell to disallow things like this to affect your game.

Trial spell 8
Lesser Internal Cascade
Necromancy
Level 3
Close
Area 5ft/lvl burst
Ray
Fortitude Negate
Spell resistance yes

You fire a ray at your target forcing them to make a fortitude save or take 2 points of constitution damage. On a failed save all allies of the target within a 5ft/lvl burst take health lost from con damage.

This spell seems to be more specd to its level because you can target the large enemy in the room and make large amounts of hd to your advantage, but its no so much damage that if you do fight a boss monster that is a cr 12 retard hd creature you take out anything that is equivalent to its hd. You deal similar damage to all creatures but only initial creature actually takes the added affects of con loss. The spell might not be as powerful as a good ol fireball at level 5-6, but it will scale better in the late game and have a nice usage when fighting high hd creatures that are surrounded by low hd minions like a dragon with a goblin horde. i don't know if i want to lower the level of the spell to level 2 so I'll just stay safe and leave this as a level 3 spell for now.

Trial Spell 9
Rough Passage
Transmutation
Level 1 spell
Range Close
Area 10ft + 5ft/2lvl square
1Rnd/lvl
No save
No spell resist

Create rough terrain from natural terrain or worked stone within a 30ft square for 1 minute per level

i enjoy this spell, but i don't really know what level to make it. My dm brought up a decent point that rough terrain sucks, but if i make this a level 2 spell then it's just a meh web spell. So a friend suggested that i lower the effective range and area to make it a level 1 spell and i think it works the way that he suggested. It is good enough that someone early levels can jump over it with a good check, but it isn't web.

Trial spell 10
Fire Grenade
Conjuration (Fire)
Level 2
Range Close
Area 10ft + 5ft/lvl burst
Save Reflex partial
Spell Resistance yes

Throw a fire grenade into a square dealing 1d6 + 1/2 lvl points of fire damage forcing all within the square to make a reflex save or catch fire taking 1d6 damage per round for 1rnd/lvl

This spell is decent for its level because of the factor of swarms. The spell does well against high enemy number encounters but I don't believe that it is to much more powerful than a burning hands.

Trial spell 11
Superior Daze
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Range Medium
Area 25ft + 5ft/2 lvl Burst
Duration 1 Round
Saving Throw Will Negate
Spell Resist yes

Daze all creatures within a 25ft +5ft/2lvl burst for 1 round of 3 HD/ lvl max of 15 hd

This doesn't seem more powerful than sleep, but because daze makes you drop all weapons it's still good to have if you go for compulsion caster. Daze is a 0 level spell that only affects 4hd of creatures and i really don't like Daze Monster just because it doesn't allow daze to scale much beyond its level making this kind of compulsion fall off quickly. The spell is more powerful than its counterparts, but I don't think that it quite makes mid 3rd level spells.

Jedipotter trial spell 1
Bright Sphere
Level 2 Spell
Evocation (light)
Range Touch
Area 30ft
Duration 1min/lvl
Save Will Negate
Spell Resist yes

Touch something and it emanates a sphere of light that extends to 30ft and creates 30ft low light beyond its limits. All undead and Evil outsiders take 1d12 points of damage per round within the sphere. At 5th caster level As a move action the caster can focus the light to a specific point or on a specific undead or evil outsider dealing 1d6 positive energy damage per level per round to that specific creature only. Doing this negates damage per round that would be dealt to surrounding creatures but does not lower vision within the sphere or the surrounding lowlight. The caster can only focus the light once per 5 levels for one round each focus while the spell is active.

so here is a slightly modified version of JediPotter's version of the light spell i created. I made some changes to it allowing lowlight outside of the sphere and adding no cap to the spell. The reason i added the lowlight is just because I'm in a campaign right now were not having darkvision at level 1 hurts so much that it means you can't see in any dungeon. This made me realize that dungeons arn't going to be lit normally and shouldn't be lit unless a creature that requires light is within the dungeon making low light and regular vision races less effective as a whole simply because they didn't possess darkvision. The reason that i uncapped the number of focuses is because if you are a 25th level caster and you cast a spell there shouldn't be a limit to you at all. because the number of focuses are so small i can get away with not caping it and because the number doesn't exceed 1/5th your level it only makes it slightly more effective than other spells of its level at epic levels.

Trial spell 12
Muscle Jolt
Evocation (electric)
Spell level 3
Range Close
Ray
Save no save
Spell resistance yes

Make a ranged touch attack as an immediate action against an enemy if successful you deal 1 point of electric damage per level and tense all the muscles in the casters body forcing them to make a concentration check of 10 + Damage dealt. Max Concentration check of 20

I read this spell in a book apart of the night angel series where a guy shot out a jolt of electricity to make a spell caster flinch and fail his casting. I thought it was a cool looking spell and thematically it sounds cool to shoot lightning out of our finger deal a small amount of damage and make someone flinch while casting ill have a higher level version of this as a level 5 spell just because wands can get stupid if given to much.

Trial Spell 13
Greater Muscle Jolt
Evocation (Electric)
Spell Level 5
Range Medium
Ray
Save No Save
Spell Resistance yes

As an immediate action make a ranged touch attack and if successful deal 1d6/2lvl in damage. If a caster attempts to cast a spell within 1 rnd/2lvl after being hit by this spell they must make a concentration check of 10 + damage dealt no greater than 10 + lvl or fail to cast the spell.

This might be a level 6 spell but no greater than that. it makes for a good level 5 spell simply because celerity is also at level 5 and you could use celerity to do something like this anyway if it is prepared. With the celerity spell you could do a lot more than what is shown but this has the added benefit of not having to worry about that silly daze on next round.

Flashy
2014-07-18, 10:07 PM
Trial Spell 2
Intertwine wards
Spell Level 2 Abjuration
Duration See Text
Range Self Only
Casting Time See Text
Saving Throw Will (Harmless)
Effect Combine two Wards

So it's a 2nd level spell to vastly extend your buffs, and its only weakness is that it makes you more slightly more susceptible to the ever uncommon dispel magic (at low levels you're taking one or two points off the dispel DC), which is itself a 3rd level spell?

Eye of flame seems basically fine to me. It's a massive damage boost, but only so long as your enemies are within around twenty five feet of you, and it's the same basic principle as the druid spell call lightning but with range traded for action speed. Maybe make it a swift action instead of free though.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-19, 04:53 PM
Actually dispelling wards is a 1st lvl spell according to spell compendium

Lightlawbliss
2014-07-19, 08:30 PM
Trial spell 2 is just too good. Any situation where it is worth using, it is better then extend spell and could be better then persist spell. I would not allow this as a 6th.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-20, 09:37 AM
ok when also the trial number 1 spell is a version of Prismatic eye where the orb that is summoned can fire a ray of flame out of its eye dealing xd6 damage and having a dc 15 reflex save. I thought the spell was pretty good for battle.

Also
Spell Trial 3
Lights Embrace
Lvl 2 Spell
Evocation
Casting Time 1 Standard
Range Self
Area 60ft radius
Duration 1 min/lvl
Saving Throw None
Spell Resist yes

You touch your form and begin to emit light in a radius of 60ft around you, This light extends only to 60ft and provides no low light beyond. All undead and evil outsiders within the area take 1d6/lvl damage every round. If this spell would damage more than two undead creatures it instead deals 1d6 damage every round.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-20, 09:39 AM
The reason i want to make a spell like this is that there is very little undead fighting spells for someone who is below level 4 spells and fights more than a two undead. I'm visiting Strahds castle in a few sessions and i need something that is going to fight teh literal hordes that i come up against that isn't life bolt: fire 1 ray/lvl dealing 1 point of damage to yourself and having the ray deal 1d12 points of damage to an undead.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-24, 12:21 AM
Trial spell 5
Draining Protection
Necromancy
Level 2 Spell
Standard action
Ray
Fortitude Negates
Range close
Spell Resistance yes

Fire a ray out of your finger into an enemy and deal 1d4 points of constitution damage. what ever health was lost from this constitution damage is gained as temporary hit points that last 1 minute/level.
If this spell would to be prepared in a higher spell slot for any reason (metamagic ect.) then it instead deals 1d4 points of con damage per 2 spell levels of the slot this spell was prepared in (or cast from if a sorcerer spell)

Example:
Prepare Draining protection with Maxmize and empower metamagic making the spell a 7th level spell. This spell would then deal 3d4 points of constitution damage rather than 1d4 points of consitution damage before applying meta magics.

Trial Spell 6
Internal Cascade
Necromancy
Level 2 Spell
Ray
Range Close
Fortitude Negates
Area 30ft
Spell Resistance yes

You fire a ray of death at a target dealing 2 points of constitution damage (fort negate) if the target fails his save then everything that person considers an ally within 30ft also makes a fortitude save or take 2 points of constitution damage.

If this spell were to be prepared in a spell slot higher than 2nd for any reason then it instead deals damage equivalent to its spell level.

Example:
Internal Cascade is prepared with the empower metamagic making it a 4th level spell. Then spell instead deals 4 points of constitution damage instead of 2 before applying metamagics.

Lightlawbliss
2014-07-24, 01:08 AM
Trial spell 5
Draining Protection
Necromancy
Level 2 Spell
Standard action
Ray
Fortitude Negates
Range close
Spell Resistance yes

If this spell would to be prepared in a higher spell slot for any reason (metamagic ect.) then it instead deals 1d4 points of con damage per 2 spell levels of the slot this spell was prepared in (or cast from if a sorcerer spell)

Example:
Prepare Draining protection with Maxmize and empower metamagic making the spell a 7th level spell. This spell would then deal 3d4 points of constitution damage rather than 1d4 points of consitution damage before applying meta magics.

Trial Spell 6
Internal Cascade
Necromancy
Level 2 Spell
Ray
Range Close
Fortitude Negates
Area 30ft
Spell Resistance yes

You fire a ray of death at a target dealing 2 points of constitution damage (fort negate) if the target fails his save then everything that person considers an ally within 30ft also makes a fortitude save or take 2 points of constitution damage.

If this spell were to be prepared in a spell slot higher than 2nd for any reason then it instead deals damage equivalent to its spell level.

Example:
Internal Cascade is prepared with the empower metamagic making it a 4th level spell. Then spell instead deals 4 points of constitution damage instead of 2 before applying metamagics.

first off: your wording is confusing, if something I say seems to not match what you think the spell is: it is likely the wording.

second: trial spell 5, you do realize many monsters are nothing but strength and hit dice and this could quickly result in a caster with absurd amounts of health being gained by a very harmful spell. ex: the Big T has 48 HD, in an 8th level slot you average 10 points of con damage (+5 mod) with 16 points max (+8 mod). That means 240 hp on average, 384 max. Oh yes, and that is assuming you don't crit. I know Fighter's aren't the greatest, but do we need the wizard to be able to out hp him for the entire dungeon with one spell?

Third: trial spell 6: second level spell with upgraded built in chain spell (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/chain-spell--314/). Your looking 5th +-1 level spell there assuming you modify the damage to something like "deals damage equivalent to its spell level after __" and add an attack roll on secondary attacks.

Flashy
2014-07-24, 01:20 AM
trial spell 5, you do realize many monsters are nothing but strength and hit dice and this could quickly result in a caster with absurd amounts of health being gained by a very harmful spell. ex: the Big T has 48 HD, in an 8th level slot you average 10 points of con damage (+5 mod) with 16 points max (+8 mod). That means 240 hp on average, 384 max. Oh yes, and that is assuming you don't crit. I know Fighter's aren't the greatest, but do we need the wizard to be able to out hp him for the entire dungeon with one spell?

I think it'd also be worth adding a ray of enfeeblement style target's stat cannot fall below one caveat, just for enemies that do have con scores.

For trial spell 3, a 60 foot radius is enormous especially considering the tremendous duration. That spell with expeditious retreat makes the average mid to low level undead encounter positively laughable. Doubly so with fly.

For trial spell 4, you'd have to carry a ludicrous quantity of daggers to make it useful. I'm not sure if you mean that it's three daggers per square or three daggers per linear five foot segment but either way this spell is clogging up your carrying capacity to an alarming degree. Fencing off a 2x3 rectangle would require 18, 20 or 30 pounds of daggers depending on exactly how you're calculating the number required.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-24, 03:10 PM
spell trials number 5 and 6 i believe are appropriate simply because of the second level spell blood snow from the Frostburn book http://dndtools.eu/spells/frostburn--68/blood-snow--1280/ which deals 1d2 points of consitution drain per round with fortitude save. this is a level 3 spell but then again it targets a 20ft sqr/lvl and its con drain which can make the dm cringe when he wants the creature that you're fighting to come back for another brawl.

Even tho these spells seem powerful and many creatures are just strength and HD the average high hd creature also has very good scaling fortitude saves making these spells less effective against the very high hd creatures a spell caster is likely to target,
Example:
the average 48 hd creature has a fortitude save averaging +16-24 fortitude meaning on a roll of a 10 the caster must come up with a save that beats 26-34 or risk using up this high level spell slot. 26-34 is a high save even for a level 15-16 caster to come up with unless they specialize in this type of casting. So the average caster of level 15-16 should have less than a 50% chance of these spell succeeding on high hd creatuers.
Also dealing 4d4 points of constitution damage is the equivalent of a level 8 spell and having 240 hp for a wizard isnt much when the creatures they are fighting when the wizard has access to level 8 spells relies more upon death attacks or deals about 200 damage a round.
Trial spell number 6 seems appropriate because it can be ignored if the initial creature succeeds in a fortitude save. Meaning that in a perfect world where all my spells automagically work, yes they are broken, but because of targeting issues such as should i target the high hd creature when they are likely to also have a high fortitude save vs targeting the low hd creature and being more likely to make the spell succeed. You have to choose your targets well in these spells because you can easily fire at the fighter of the enemy group and the fighter with a favored fortitude laughs at you for targeting his favorite save.
Another note to make is that these spells will fall off in the later game when more creatures have immunities to ability damage.

I do apologize for not being able to word my spells properly and i will rewrite most of these spells and repost for you all to see. in fact i have some of the first spells reworked right now and will have them in my next post.

jedipotter
2014-07-24, 03:45 PM
Trial Spell 4
Lightining shield
Spell level 3
Evocation
casting time 1 min
Range close
Area See text
Duration 24 hours (D)
Saving throw Ref Half
Spell Resistance yes

Create a Circle around a 5ft sqr/lvl using daggers as teh points. You place 3 daggers per 5ft sqr surrounding the area that you wish to cover leaving no two areas unconnected to each other. Each time a creature attempts to enter the area they take 1d12/lvl in Electric damage as the barrier shocks them and destroys one dagger in the circle. After all the daggers have been destroyed or the duration has elapsed the spell ends.

Maybe.....''Stabbing Lightning''? This spell causes several daggers to be charged with lightning and hang around an area. Any time a creature enters the area, a single dagger flies at them and discharges doing 1d12/level electric damage and destroys one dagger. I also like this twist: the dagger makes a ranged attack at the target, using the casters BaB, to do more damage. A magical dagger can be used, but it is still destroyed by the spell.

It gives a nice little ''perk'' to a caster with an extra magical dagger or two, though it destroys them. It would not work out so well for a normal wizard, but fighter/wizard types would get some use from it.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-24, 03:51 PM
I honestly didn't know about that spell. But thank you for bringing it up tho I do enjoy this version better as a nonfighter wizard. Could you post where that spell is from?

jedipotter
2014-07-24, 03:59 PM
I honestly didn't know about that spell. But thank you for bringing it up tho I do enjoy this version better as a nonfighter wizard. Could you post where that spell is from?

I just made it up a couple of minutes ago......

Sounds like a Greenwood spell...he has a thing for balded weapons and weird effects.

jedipotter
2014-07-24, 04:10 PM
Also
Spell Trial 3
Lights Embrace
Lvl 2 Spell
Evocation
Casting Time 1 Standard
Range Self
Area 60ft radius
Duration 1 min/lvl
Saving Throw None
Spell Resist yes

You touch your form and begin to emit light in a radius of 60ft around you, This light extends only to 60ft and provides no low light beyond. All undead and evil outsiders within the area take 1d6/lvl damage every round. If this spell would damage more than two undead creatures it instead deals 1d6 damage every round.

Maybe ''Bright sphere''. This spell makes a sphere of bight light around the caster out to a range of 30 feet. Any undead in this area take 1d12 positive energy damage (save-neg., SR-Yes). Once a round, as a move action you can focus brightness on a single undead creature. This reduces the area damage of the sphere to 1d6 for that round, but does 1d6/level damage to a single undead target (Save-half, SR-Yes). You can focus the sphere once per casting at 5th level, and then one more time for every five levels(so 4 max at 20th level). The bright sphere does not effect any other types of creatures other then undead.

Lightlawbliss
2014-07-24, 05:01 PM
Trial Spell 1
Eye of Flame
Spell lvl 3 Evocation/Conjuration
Duration 1rnd/lvl
Range 25ft
Casting Time 1 Standard Action
Saving Throw Reflex Partial
Effect Magical Eye

You create a visibile orb that creates the ray effect of ray of flame spell. This orb cannot move and it can only fire at a range of 25ft. The orb has 18 hp and an ac of 20. You can make the orb fire the ray of flame spell as a swift action using your caster level to determine damage only (dc of added effect remains 15 ref).

Spell Trial 3
Lights Embrace
Lvl 2 Spell
Evocation
Casting Time 1 Standard
Range Self
Area 30ft radius
Duration 1 min/lvl
Saving Throw Will
Spell Resist yes

You begin to emit light from your body that extends to 30ft. this light acts as regular light at 30ft and low light at an additional 30ft.
if an undead or evil outsider is within the regular light created by the spell they take 1d6/2 caster levels in damage every round.

Trial Spell 4
Lightining shield
Spell level 3
Evocation
casting time 1 min
Range close
Area See text
Duration 24 hours (D)
Saving throw Ref Half
Spell Resistance yes

Create a Circle around a 5ft sqr/lvl using daggers as teh points. You place 3 daggers per 5ft sqr surrounding the area that you wish to cover leaving no two areas unconnected to each other. Each time a creature attempts to enter the area they take 1d12/lvl in Electric damage as the barrier shocks them, prevents their entrance on a failed reflex save, and destroys one dagger in the circle. After all the daggers have been destroyed or the duration has elapsed the spell ends.

to let you know Yes you do have to carry around a dagger for each charge that you have to use and you do have to use 3 daggers per 5 ft square that you wish to envelope but all the squares must be conjoined in order for the spell to work, tho you can cover a single square in all the daggers that you wish to give the spell more charges in a smaller area if you don't want to protect anyone but yourself.

I know this seems like a lot of daggers for a single spell but you are getting 1d12 damage per level out of each dagger. the spell components are high cost in weight allowing me reason to keep the spell level lower because carrying around 30 daggers is annoying at level 10 and if i didnt do something then i would have to bump this spell up to around a 5th level spell and right now im trying to keep the spells between levels 1-3.

I will keep reading your posts and thank you for your input and i hope to hear more in future spells.

1: Not sure if I would use it but not obviously broken.
3: Technically, the spell alters a 60ft radius area and the light goes out to 60 ft. Take a look at Celestial Brilliance (BoED 94), daylight (PH 216), and light (PH 248) if you want help with this one. Leveling to effect isn't terrible for an arcane spell.
4: does the cast time include setup? manually placing that many daggers takes a while, even if your dm lets you pull out 3 daggers with one action and place all 3 with one action. If somebody destroys a dagger in the circle without a creature crossing it, what happens? Are you seeing this as a camping spell or what cause that is a long time to stay in close range of an area. Good job not making Frostburn's mistake of spells that can't use their entire area.

Arkhaic
2014-07-25, 01:11 AM
#4 is a spell with a 1 minute cast time and a 24 hour duration. Probably should count as a magic trap so Rogues can disarm it, since that's what it is.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-25, 09:20 PM
Trial spell number 4 is a camping spell for lower level players who thematically don't prepare things like rope trick. i find rope trick kind of annoying to tell the truth because its another dimension and if used at level 3-6 i find that it can be an easy spell for the dm to prepare an ambush with. The spell can also be used to set up as a trap or bar the way of someone else making the spell more handy to have around giving a caster more reasons to keep it. for simplicity sake i will just make a note that all daggers will be placed within the 1 minute time and i believe that i can make that work just because pulling a spell component is a free action.

i know the eye spell seems like a meh spell compared to something like fireball, but i consulted a couple more people on the spell and these were the best ideas i was given for its changes. Though i might just take the spell out all together to make a spell that does the same thing, but allows you to place any touch spell inside of it for the eyes use. this would make the spell incredible, but it would also make the spell around a 6th-8th level spell

To answer your question i don't think I will make it a trap simply because rogues can do anything in this game and I do enjoy it when you can have something that a rogue has a chance of not simply skilling past without magical assistance. Also a properly high reflex save character can simply make the save as they jump into the middle of the casting allowing them to then destroy each dagger in the spell. the reason i enjoy this idea more is that it takes time and if you use the spell for barring a passage then it makes the spell more useful. the only thing that it also brings up is vertical dimensions.

Jedipotter i think i enjoy where you are going with the light spell and you're right in that your camping spell does sound like a greenwood spell.

I think i like your idea for the light spell more than my own so I will just adjust the spell variables to what you stated.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-25, 10:52 PM
So i decided that i'm going to try and keep this forum alive for as long as possible and will take any submissions for spells created by other people onto this forum. I may modify the spell that are submitted and resubmit those spells as a slightly modified version of their idea like i did with jedipotter. If i get the idea wrong or you want to make changes to anything that i post as a formal spell then copy pasta mah post make your changes and repost. I am recording all spells that are posted on this forum in a book labeled spellbook so if anything gets lost and i've looked at the spell then i can simply repost it here if you message me. I will attempt to create a locked forum of spells that the community and I have agreed upon so that you guys have easy access to final drafts in this forum. Note i look at this forum about once a day so i will get most everything posted by the end of the day. Tell your friends and tell them to tell their friends, but under no circumstances should they tell their friends... those guyz ruin everything.

as always tell me what you guys think of the spells i have created and thank you for posting. I hope to have more spells for your review in the future and i hope to see spell ideas that you guys come up with.

jedipotter
2014-07-25, 11:56 PM
Tell me what you guys think about my spell changes and the new spells that i created out of them and thank you for posting. I hope to hear more from the community and I hope to have more spells to show you as time goes on.

I'm not sure the ray spells are worth it. You need to hit. then you get 5-20 temporary hit points? False Life can get you that. And so can Bear's Endurance. As Constitution damage also does damage, that is a bit powerful for a 2nd level spell.

You might as well just cast one to the above spells, and just stick with a good second level damage spell. Just use Scorching Ray for damage.

Inevitability
2014-07-26, 01:12 AM
I really think this should be moved to the homebrew subforum...

Lightlawbliss
2014-07-26, 09:59 AM
I really think this should be moved to the homebrew subforum...

I second this recommendation.

Arkhaic
2014-07-26, 07:28 PM
Wait, it isn't? Yeah, this is basically a homebrew spell thread. No idea why it's in this section.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-27, 10:27 PM
Trial spell 12
Muscle Jolt
Evocation (electric)
Spell level 3
Range Close
Ray
Save no save
Spell resistance yes

Make a ranged touch attack as an immediate action against an enemy if successful you deal 1 point of electric damage per level and tense all the muscles in the casters body forcing them to make a concentration check of 13 + Damage dealt.

I read this spell in a book apart of the night angel series where a guy shot out a jolt of electricity to make a spell caster flinch and fail his casting. I thought it was a cool looking spell and thematically it sounds cool to shoot lightning out of our finger deal a small amount of damage and make someone flinch while casting ill have a higher level version of this as a level 5 spell just because wands can get stupid if given to much. this spell works better uncapped than it does capped because you have to make 2 concentration checks against the damage dealt and if you are a caster of same level you need a dice roll of 7 to make the save with ranks alone. This is if you have maxed out your concentration skill. actually im increasing these to 13 + damage dealt because 7 is to low of a number chance for any roll

Trial Spell 13
Greater Muscle Jolt
Evocation (Electric)
Spell Level 5
Range Medium
Ray
Save No Save
Spell Resistance yes

As an immediate action make a ranged touch attack and if successful deal 1d6/2lvl in damage. If a caster attempts to cast a spell within 1 rnd/2lvl after being hit by this spell they must make a concentration check of 10 + damage dealt no greater than 10 + lvl every round he attempts to cast for his first spell that round or fail to cast the spell.

This might be a level 6 spell but no greater than that. it makes for a good level 5 spell simply because celerity is also at level 5 and you could use celerity to do something like this anyway if it is prepared. With the celerity spell you could do a lot more than what is shown but this has the added benefit of not having to worry about that silly daze on next round. the reason that i changed this to every round is that you have to make a dice roll of 7 to make this spells save if you are a caster of equivalent level and have max ranks and add nothing else to the concentration check. Sure the damage makes you make another concentration but it again is 7 if only adding ranks. I'm not increase this spells dc simply because you need to make the save every round and even though the roll is very low you still have to do it repeatedly.

Dalebert
2014-07-28, 12:29 AM
Lights Embrace is highly overpowered. Compare it to Sunburst (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/sunburst--2653/) which is level 8. Sunburst is instantaneous. Lights Embraces turns you into a continuous swath of destruction against undead for a min/lvl for a level 2 spell?

Eye of Flame is letting you cast a 1st level spell repeatedly AND as a swift action so you can be doing other things. That's also way overpowered for a 3rd level spell.

I haven't read all of them but I'm seeing a trend. It's a common mistake to overpower spells when you first start making them. I did it. One thing that is considered VERY valuable is speed. Consider that quicken spell (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-v35--6/quicken-spell--2330/) adds 4 levels to a spell. If you want a spell to be that fast, imagine that it's at least 5th level and that's if the effect is basically a first level spell. (A free action magic missile would be level 5) Most really swift or immediate spells have a very limited effect that's usually not a direct attack (feather fall, nerveskitter). BTW, what I just told you is almost verbatim what was told to me when I made a swift action spell that didn't even do any damage and posted it here. I realized they had a point.

Greater Muscle Jolt--once again an immediate action with a really nice effect, no save, and then it's continuous for what will almost always last the entire combat. Highly overpowered. The 3rd level one doesn't seem so bad though. The trick is to have it as a readied action for when someone starts to cast. For GMJ, maybe just consider some continuous effect that interferes with actions. To make it reasonable, it should have a save resulting in half dmg and no continuous effect, and it should definitely take a standard action to cast. For perspective, just taking the 3rd level effect and making it a fast cast should make it 7th level.

Ipuntmidgets
2014-07-29, 09:43 PM
Dalebert you are being very critical of spells that i don't think you are reading completely or you arn't understanding something about them.
Eye of flame isn't a broken spell simply because quicken is a free action not a swift action and it doesn't burn up your immediate action for the turn. It also has a range of 25ft meaning the average encounter can walk out of it in less than a move action. Also the eye has an ac of 20 and hp of 18 meaning at level 5 when you first have access to this spell it is easy to down with good rolls from an ankheg which is a level 2 encounter that deals 2d6 + 7 + 1d4 acid allowing it to kill the eye in a single shot with good damage rolls. If you put 2 level 2 encounters against a spell like this they could also have the range to simply blast the spell away with any form of range that is as close as a sneak attack. this spell isn't anywhere close to a quicken and even though it is allowing you to cast a spell the range is very very limited and easy to bypass if you have a normal movement. The spell that is in use has a damage cap of 5d6 plus dc 15 or catch fire so the damage isn't high nor are the dc's. The spell is fixed so you can't have much versatility unless used in an enclosed space against an opponent who cannot run or has to melee. The spell has very little health and quite low ac for a spell of the level. It actually isn't much better than a summon monster 3 spell when you think about it simply because the summon monster can move and has more abilities available. In fact the hippogriff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hippogriff.htm) a summon monster 3 creature is more versatile than this spell simply because it can move. It deals less damage per attack, but has the addage that it can A move, B exceed damage with full attack, C fly, D be mounted to allow the caster increased movement, E can be used as a meat shield longer than this spell, ect. and all with use as a move action per round.

The muscle jolt spells are fine simply because of what i stated in the notes. They are spells that require a dice roll of 7 to bypass and that is if the target has a concentration ranks equivalent to your level and is not adding constitution. The greater muscle jolt is good but because I didn't increase its dc the spell isn't broken due to its duration. when you pick up the spell you can use it for a max of 4 rounds and 5 at next level. Seeing as that will average out to a spell a round you will force 4 or 5 concentration checks out of the caster with a 65% chance of success on every save if we aren't adding constitution to the mix at all or are saying the target doesn't have higher concentration. Usually in encounters your level, the encounter has higher skills than the party to make up for the fact that it is a single creature against multiple creatures. so if we add constitution of 14 to this mix up against a same level caster then you have a 75% chance of success when the spell is cast seeing as the spell dc can only be increased by adding meta-magic to them and greater doesn't even allow that this means that the best chance you have is waiting till a much higher level to cast something that isn't really worth a 6th level spell when you can just celerity and be done with it.

Dalebert
2014-07-29, 10:13 PM
No, I fully understand and I think they're overpowered. I don't care enough to spend any time arguing about it though. If your DM let's you have them, more power to you.

jiriku
2014-07-29, 11:58 PM
Recommendation: Rewrite everything with proper grammar and punctuation. It is a kindness to your readers, especially in a long post.

Eye of Flame - A-OK. It compares favorably to similar spells like flaming sphere or stars of arvandor, but those are both pretty marginal spells. The restricted range, mobility, and action requirements balance the effect. Your wording about caster level is odd. Caster level is irrelevant to save DC, and the "catch fire" DC was already static, so the text doesn't change anything.

Lights Embrace - Needs some language cleanup. We use "bright light" and "shadowy illumination" instead of "regular light" and "low light". You allow a Will save, but you must specify whether it's Will negates, Will half, Will partial, etc. Personally, I'd back the radius down to 20 ft, as the spell is effectively daylight + a persistent selective DoT, which is rather better than I'd expect from a spell only one level higher than daylight.

Lightning shield - this one breaks Grod's Law - "Never balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use". I don't even see how it's plausible to position that many daggers as part of a standard action without leaving your square. You're correct that this is a 5th or 6th level spell effect. If you want a 3rd level spell, clean this one up, call it Greater Lightning Shield, and then make a lesser version that you can use in the near term while waiting to level up.

Muscle Jolt - This spell is broken, in that it does not do what you want it to do. The caster makes a Concentration check, but the spell does nothing if the check is failed. If you intended to use this spell to interrupt spellcasting, there's no need to spell out the Concentration check -- taking damage while spellcasting already forces a DC 10 + damage dealt check to retain the spell.

Optimator
2014-07-30, 02:17 AM
Custom spells are mega-fun. Always use them when possible

aleucard
2014-07-30, 02:45 AM
Meh, since this is here, I'll post a few of my own ideas.

Gaia's Nails
Level: ???
Classes: Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, (possible homebrew earth/nature Domain)
Verbal: No
Somatic: Yes (can't be removed entirely, but ASF-vulnerable components can be; see text)
Material: N/A
Focus: N/A
Range: Medium
Area: 1 5' square/Caster Level or 5'xCL Radius or 10'xCL Emanation; see text
Duration: Instantaneous; See Text
Casting Time: 1 Full-Round Action

After casting the spell and striking the ground in some way (stomp, sharp poke with a quarterstaff, anything that could be ruled as able to do damage; this is the part that can't be removed), spikes sprout in the affected area, impaling everything within. Treat this as making 1d4 (Shortspear at >=CL5, Longspear at >=CL10, Greatspear at >=CL15) attacks on the target with an attack of (CL+Casting Stat Bonus+any effect that boosts a spells Attack Bonus) and added damage equal to the caster's Casting Stat Bonus+Any effect that boosts a Spell's damage. If a target takes up multiple spaces that are under attack, they suffer only 1d2 attacks for the 2nd space, and only 1 for every extra. The caster may either pick the squares affected individually, affect a specific area within their range (only squares within the spell's Range may be affected, even if the Area's Radius extends past that), or affect all nearby squares (caster is not attacked by his own casting under any circumstances, though allies don't share this immunity). The caster may choose for the spikes generated by this spell to be left behind (thus causing the affected area to have similar mobility issues to the bottom of a Spike Pit trap) or retract back into the ground instantly. Any stonework or natural earth (gravel, sand, dirt, etc.) surface is a valid target for this spell, though Wood or Metal is not. If put under the effects of Maximize/Empower Spell metamagic or an equivalent applicable effect, the damage from the individual spikes is affected as well as how many attack a given target (for Empower, the spikes generated are 1d4+1d2 for the first square, 1d2+1 for the second, and 1d2 for each additional square). If a target suffers damage from 2 or more spikes, treat them as Entangled until they take a Full-Round Action to remove themselves from the spikes. if the spikes are left behind (the decision to leave them behind is made before this is determined).

I have no idea what level this should be, so I left that blank. If you have any ideas to make this better (I added some rider effects to make this primarily-blasty spell more useful), I'm all ears.