PDA

View Full Version : Good 1-2 level dips for Wizard?

omniknight
2014-07-18, 09:07 PM
I want to get an idea of what might be good dip for a Wizard by looking over the Alpha PHB and Basic Rules PDF. The best I can come up with is 2 Fighter/18 Wizard:

Pros:

Action Surge
All armor/shields proficiency
STR/CON saving throws
Fighting Style: Defense
Second Wind (1d10+2)
+6 HP

Cons:

Delay spellcasting progression by two levels
-1 Ability Score Improvement
-1 6th level spell slot
-1 7th level spell slot
No Signature Spells capstone
-4 wizard spells in spellbook

Action Surge seems like it is the best first or second level dippable ability in the game. Two spells on one turn can be brutally effective. Combine that with 21 AC normally (full plate, shield, FS: Defense) and then 26 AC at level 18 (free Shield spell), plus proficiency on STR/CON saving throws, and two early levels in Fighter look very attractive. The AC provided by armor is really nice as, in theory, it seems like it would free up some prepared spells for offensive/utility rather than defensive ones. If played as a Dwarf, this would make STR/DEX/WIS/CHA freely dumpable ability scores.

The worst negatives are the delay on spellcasting progression and minus one ASI, but I feel the spell slots, known spells, and lackluster capstone are definitely worth giving up for what you get.

Other dips I've considered:

1 Cleric: uninterrupted spellcasting progression, no -1 ASI, Cure Wounds/Bless+2 L1 spells+some cantrips, Heavy Armor/Shield Proficiency, CHA STs, Divine Domain: Life
2 Paladin: only one level spellcasting progression delay, 2 L1 spells, Heavy Armor/Shield Proficiency, Fighting Style: Defense, CHA STs, LoH (10 hp)
1 Barbarian: only one level spellcasting progression delay, no -1 ASI, Rage (resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, slashing), Medium Armor/Shield Proficiency OR Unarmored Defense, STR/CON STs

Any thoughts on this?

Human Paragon 3
2014-07-18, 10:10 PM
I kind of expect Action Surge won't be a freebie to fighter dippers. Just a guess though.

Secret Bard
2014-07-19, 12:15 AM
Yeah, we don't have the complete rules for multiclassing yet, so its hard to give an opinion on the subject. I am excited to see what kinds of builds people will make once the PHB comes out though.

Tholomyes
2014-07-19, 01:50 AM
Of all I've heard about multiclassing, the only things you don't get from multiclassing, even just dipping classes, is you don't get full proficiencies and certain features don't stack. Otherwise, you get everything on the chart for your class. Which means, yes, we'll see Fighter 2/Wizard 18 builds, and I can guarantee every DM will be sick of them by the end of the year.

Jeff W
2014-07-19, 04:58 AM
Which means, yes, we'll see Fighter 2/Wizard 18 builds, and I can guarantee every DM will be sick of them by the end of the year.

Most games never reach level 20 so this shouldn't be a problem for spellcasters. Delaying spellcaster progression is the cardinal sin of optimization.

Madfellow
2014-07-19, 09:19 AM
I question whether action surge would be worth the two levels lost to take it. Sure you can cast two spells in one turn, but only once per rest (so it refreshes when the party stops for lunch), and the spells you cast are weaker. If you want a physically strong wizard, I think mountain dwarf would be the way to go.

TheOOB
2014-07-19, 02:19 PM
We know almost for a fact you will not gain all the proficiencies from your second+ class. We also know that your going to require a high ability score in your second+ class that may not be a huge benefit for your primary.

We also know that some abilities will be changed for secondary classes, and abilities like Action Surge sound like strong candidates for such a change(I have no evidence to support it, but I'd like to think action surge will change to refresh on a long rest instead of a short rest).

Jon D
2014-07-20, 11:57 AM
We know almost for a fact you will not gain all the proficiencies from your second+ class. We also know that your going to require a high ability score in your second+ class that may not be a huge benefit for your primary.

We also know that some abilities will be changed for secondary classes, and abilities like Action Surge sound like strong candidates for such a change(I have no evidence to support it, but I'd like to think action surge will change to refresh on a long rest instead of a short rest).

That hoses Fighters though. Just make action surge not compatible with spell casting.

TheOOB
2014-07-20, 01:45 PM
That hoses Fighters though. Just make action surge not compatible with spell casting.

If you're a primary fighter(ie the class you took at level 1 is a fighter), you get all the fighter abilities as listed. We just know that there are some abilities/proficiencies that you won't get or will get a different form of later.

Also, making an ability like action surge have restrictions upon it's use is exactly the kind of finicky rules they seem to be trying to avoid.

Tholomyes
2014-07-20, 01:48 PM
That hoses Fighters though. Just make action surge not compatible with spell casting.Personally, I think the better option would be to say "unless an effect directly states it, or is implied based on the class (i.e. if a wizard gets an option within a wizard subclass, that lets them get an extra action, and it isn't restricted to cantrips or otherwise, we can assume it allows for spells) you cannot cast more than one non-cantrip spell per turn". This way, it gets around any cases where an Eldritch Knight or other class or subclass could potentially otherwise get hosed by defining action surge as non-spell action.

omniknight
2014-07-20, 02:20 PM
Thanks all for the responses and suggestions. Note that in our campaign our DM expects us to go from 1-20, so end-game considerations do matter.

I have heard that when mutliclassing you might not get all of the proficiencies and/or abilities of the second class, but without more specific information I cannot factor that in. And I agree that Action Surge is likely on the list for some kind of adjustment or straight nerf that would make dipping Fighter as a Wizard pointless. Assuming that is the case, what do you think about a one level Cleric dip?

Pros:

Race: Hill Dwarf
Stats (27 PB): 10 STR, 10 DEX, 17 CON, 15 INT, 14 WIS, 8 CHA

Divine Domain: Life (for Heavy Armor Prof)
Free Cure Wounds & Bless spells
2 L1 Cleric spell slots
3 Cleric cantrips
Shield proficiency
CHA saving throws
+2+SL HP on healing spells
+2 HP

1st ASI: +1 CON, +1 INT
2nd ASI: +2 INT
3rd ASI: +2 INT (20 INT)

OR

Race: High-Elf
Stats (27 PB): 9 STR, 14 DEX, 15 CON, 16 INT, 12 WIS, 8 CHA

Divine Domain: Light
Free Burning Hands & Faerie Fire spells
Free Light and Sacred Flame cantrips
2 L1 Cleric spell slots
3 Cleric cantrips
Shield proficiency
CHA saving throws
Warding Flare (x1/long rest)
+2 HP

2nd ASI: Feat that gives +1 INT and other stuff

This includes uninterrupted spellcasting progression in terms of spellslots, and no minus one ASI.

Cons:

One level delay for Wizard spells/Features
-1 prepared Wizard spell
-2 auto-learned Wizard spells in spellbook

It trades a slight amount of late-game power for lots of lower level power, defense, and utility that probably stays useful the entire campaign, especially the 19 or 20 base AC. Currently torn between the Hill Dwarf and High-Elf builds though.

Fwiffo86
2014-07-20, 03:58 PM
Thanks all for the responses and suggestions. Note that in our campaign our DM expects us to go from 1-20, so end-game considerations do matter.

I have heard that when mutliclassing you might not get all of the proficiencies and/or abilities of the second class, but without more specific information I cannot factor that in. And I agree that Action Surge is likely on the list for some kind of adjustment or straight nerf that would make dipping Fighter as a Wizard pointless. Assuming that is the case, what do you think about a one level Cleric dip?

Pros:

Race: Hill Dwarf
Stats (27 PB): 10 STR, 10 DEX, 17 CON, 15 INT, 14 WIS, 8 CHA

Divine Domain: Life (for Heavy Armor Prof)
Free Cure Wounds & Bless spells
+2 L1 Cleric spells
+3 Cleric cantrips
Shields proficiency
CHA saving throws
+2+SL HP on healing spells
+2 HP

2nd ASI: +2 INT

OR

Race: High-Elf
Stats (27 PB): 9 STR, 14 DEX, 15 CON, 16 INT, 12 WIS, 8 CHA

Divine Domain: Light
Free Burning Hands & Faerie Fire spells
Free Light and Sacred Flame cantrips
+2 L1 Cleric spells
+3 Cleric cantrips
Shields proficiency
CHA saving throws
Warding Flare (x1/long rest)
+2 HP

2nd ASI: Feat that gives +1 INT and other stuff

This includes uninterrupted spellcasting progression in terms of spellslots, and no minus one ASI.

Cons:

One level delay for Wizard spells/Features
-1 7th level spell slot
-2 known Wizard spells in spellbook

It trades a little bit of late-game power for lots of lower level power, defense, and utility that would probably stay useful the entire campaign, especially the 19 or 20 base AC. Currently torn between the Hill Dwarf and High-Elf builds though.

Honestly, I expect multiclassing to deny paths on the secondary classes. So dipping cleric only gets you modified basics somewhat. That's just my expectation

omniknight
2014-07-20, 04:40 PM
Honestly, I expect multiclassing to deny paths on the secondary classes. So dipping cleric only gets you modified basics somewhat. That's just my expectation

Like I said above, I can't factor in any new conditions into this multiclassing theorycrafting without knowing for sure what they are. At the moment I am assuming multiclassing works as is written in the Alpha PHB.

That said, I highly doubt they would deny such fundamental class mechanics to a secondary class. Outside of dipping, I assume they still want something like 10 Fighter / 10 Thief to be a viable (but not necessarily optimal) option. Denying access to Paths for a secondary class would basically kill multiclassing beyond dips completely.

A Stray Cat
2014-07-20, 07:19 PM
I'm coming from a 2e perspective. Is a level dip where a character would adopt another class for one or two levels? When would this happen? Early, late, middle of the road? My group never multiclassed or dual classed. Why would a player do this? And what rationalization or fluff surrounds the character's change?

Fwiffo86
2014-07-20, 08:02 PM
Like I said above, I can't factor in any new conditions into this multiclassing theorycrafting without knowing for sure what they are. At the moment I am assuming multiclassing works as is written in the Alpha PHB.

That said, I highly doubt they would deny such fundamental class mechanics to a secondary class. Outside of dipping, I assume they still want something like 10 Fighter / 10 Thief to be a viable (but necessarily optimal) option. Denying access to Paths for a secondary class would basically kill multiclassing beyond dips completely.

I can see that. But assuming you don't have access to a path, you still have the cleric spell-casting, the channel divinity, etc. It could be argued that that makes perfect sense since it is not the Class you started with, thus you never officially completed full training in it. But I do see your point.

My opinion... Dipping classes should be discouraged. Especially if they are dipping for Class options meant to distinguish the classes from each other, such as Action Surge.

A Stray Cat
2014-07-20, 08:33 PM
My opinion... Dipping classes should be discouraged. Especially if they are dipping for Class options meant to distinguish the classes from each other, such as Action Surge.

I'm thinking that that is my opinion as well. It seems meta-gamey to me.

da_chicken
2014-07-20, 09:09 PM

Agreed. I'm not going to be interested in 5e as a replacement for 3.x if you can still do stuff like Obryn's infamous Battle Sorcerer 4/Paladin of Slaughter 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 8.

omniknight
2014-07-20, 10:04 PM
Not to be rude, but if you do not like dipping why are you responding to this thread? I specifically asked for people's opinions on viable class dips for the Wizard. It should be apparent from my posts that I enjoy theorycrafting and creating optimized builds that utilize the game rules as written to their fullest extent. Ultimately my DM will decide if something is discourged or disallowed but that is not relevant to the original post.

But, I want to respond anyway. If you read the 5e Basic Rules it states:

Level
Typically, a character starts at 1st level and advances in
level by adventuring and gaining experience points (XP).
A 1st-level character is inexperienced in the adventuring world,
although he or she might have been a soldier or a pirate and done
dangerous things before.

I submit that this and other official flavor text can justify a character that, during his pre-adventuring days, could have learned enough from basic training, life experiences, and/or mere innate talent to at least be fundamentally proficient in two different classes. It seems you guys want to limit the depth of multiclassing to the point that flavorful possibilities like a reformed low-level thief (Rogue) turned law enforcer (Paladin) are not viable mechanically. I disagree that such discouragements on player choice for class branching are good for the health of the game.

By the way, I never suggested that per the rules something like "Battle Sorcerer 4/Paladin of Slaughter 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 8" should be possible or desirable. In fact, I think that would be undesirable and that the current Alpha RAW (plus some slight tweaks from the latest playtest materials) sufficiently prevents or discourages it.

da_chicken
2014-07-20, 10:40 PM
Not to be rude, but if you do not like dipping why are you responding to this thread? I specifically asked for people's opinions on viable class dips for the Wizard.

Because the only thing we know about the multiclass rules is that every version available in either the playtest or leaked documents is wrong. Therefore, the only people who can accurately answer you your original question are unable to answer due to non-disclosure agreements. Most people here do not have or will not discuss the "Alpha PHB" because a) possession of the document is illegal in most nations and b) multiple people covered by NDA have said that it's both out-of-date and wrong. Therefore discussing it on an open forum is both unwise and pointless.

At this point, "theorycrafting" includes speculation about what we think the system will be, how it will work, and how we think it should work. A significant portion of the D&D community does not want 3.x style multiclassing in 5e. Many stopped playing 3.x D&D because of 3.x style multiclassing. Until we have the final rules, I'm afraid a lot of speculation is going to include derision for 3.x multiclassing because they (and myself) believe it harmed the game.

The Wizards Play Network stores will have the PHB on August 8. It will be generally available on Aug 19. It's 20-30 days to find out. Then we can answer the question.

omniknight
2014-07-20, 10:55 PM
Because the only thing we know about the multiclass rules is that every version available in either the playtest or leaked documents is wrong. Therefore, the only people who can accurately answer you your original question are unable to answer due to non-disclosure agreements. Most people here do not have or will not discuss the "Alpha PHB" because a) possession of the document is illegal in most nations and b) multiple people covered by NDA have said that it's both out-of-date and wrong. Therefore discussing it on an open forum is both unwise and pointless.

At this point, "theorycrafting" includes speculation about what we think the system will be, how it will work, and how we think it should work. A significant portion of the D&D community does not want 3.x style multiclassing in 5e. Many stopped playing 3.x D&D because of 3.x style multiclassing. Until we have the final rules, I'm afraid a lot of speculation is going to include derision for 3.x multiclassing because they (and myself) believe it harmed the game.

The Wizards Play Network stores will have the PHB on August 8. It will be generally available on Aug 19. It's 20-30 days to find out. Then we can answer the question.

Well, da_chicken, you are flat wrong. Here are two threads on this very forum where people are talking about the Alpha and closed-Beta rules and mechanics:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359814-5E-Power-Curve
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?360422-Now-that-5E-basic-is-out-how-do-we-break-it

These are why I bothered to post this thread here in the first place. Plus you can't possibly think that the Alpha multiclass information is entirely worthless. I doubt they rewrote and changed the entire section on multiclassing such that any theorycrafting with it is completely futile.

Regardless, again you are missing my point. I don't care you think theorycrafting with the Alpha and Basic Rules materials is pointless. Thread topics exist for a reason and derailing this one by basically saying my chosen topic is pointless is just concern trolling. Go away.

Sartharina
2014-07-23, 01:38 AM
Not to be rude, but if you do not like dipping why are you responding to this thread?Because our answer to "What is the Best Dip for a Wizard that wants to dip into other classes for powerful abilities?" is "A can of gasoline, then place it next to an open spark." And hope the system's answer is "The two levels of Wizard you're trying to give up," or "Invalid Input"

Yuukale
2014-07-23, 02:29 AM
I don't know if this is the best thread to ask this but it ain't worth it opening a new one just to ask: what's your opinion on the wizard schools? Any of them strike out as particularly enhancing? I'd vote for enchantment as perhaps the best one and transmutation for the most meh (the healing/reviving is nothing to scoff at but... I expected something more along self-transformation lines).

Tholomyes
2014-07-23, 04:27 AM
I don't know if this is the best thread to ask this but it ain't worth it opening a new one just to ask: what's your opinion on the wizard schools? Any of them strike out as particularly enhancing? I'd vote for enchantment as perhaps the best one and transmutation for the most meh (the healing/reviving is nothing to scoff at but... I expected something more along self-transformation lines).Honestly I'm a bit disappointed. Perhaps they will play out differently than what I've seen spoken of them, but from all I've heard, they don't seem to provide much of a playstyle change for wizards of different subclasses. It sounds to me like the schools will just be minor boons for when you use the specific school, as opposed to other classes' subclasses, where they can define the character so much more. Perhaps we'll see more from future supplements that are more distinct than "Wizard with minor situational boons"

Fwiffo86
2014-07-23, 09:23 AM
Not to be rude, but if you do not like dipping why are you responding to this thread? I specifically asked for people's opinions on viable class dips for the Wizard. It should be apparent from my posts that I enjoy theorycrafting and creating optimized builds that utilize the game rules as written to their fullest extent. Ultimately my DM will decide if something is discourged or disallowed but that is not relevant to the original post.

Without my own personal opinions getting in the way....

Dip rogue for Wizard. It is classic example of two classes that work functionally well together in virtually EVERY scenario. You pick up double prof, thieves tools (which saves knock slots), and you get several toys to escape/delay/etc when you do occasionally get caught.

This however is not based on numbers. As raw numbers are often completely misleading when it comes time to roll the dice.

Lycoris
2014-07-23, 11:44 AM
I know cross-classing with other caster classes usually isn't worth it (unless you're doing some kind of theurge character), but the Warlock from the PHB might have its uses from the looks of it. Depending on how the multiclass system (especially with regards to casters) ends up working, you could potentially add:

-Light Armor Proficiency (not much, but better than nothing)
-Simple Weapon Proficiency (fills out the wizard's options)
-Otherworldly Patron & Pact Boons (Boon requires level 3, but depending on what's available, there could be some reasonable options)
-Invocations & Pact Magic (More resources, and a small pool of additional level 1-2 spells to work with, potentially for each encounter)
-D8 Hit-Die (extra hit points are always a nice bonus)
-Skill/Stat Proficiencies (Likely to have Charisma as a proficiency, since they're a charisma caster)

That said, I'm not sold on level-dipping characters in 5e until I see the multiclass system. Less for whatever restrictions it gives for starting a multiclass, but more for the fact that everything I've seen so far points to the fact that Ability Score Improvements/Feats are tied to class level, and not character level. If that's the case, level dips that don't offer you the most number of Improvements/Feats have to account for that as well. I mean, any 2-level dip might add a lot to a class, but losing those 2 levels (which looks to be a couple mid-level spells/day + Spell Mastery for Wizard) and a +2/Feat might not be worth it once all is said and done.

omniknight
2014-07-24, 11:18 PM
Because our answer to "What is the Best Dip for a Wizard that wants to dip into other classes for powerful abilities?" is "A can of gasoline, then place it next to an open spark." And hope the system's answer is "The two levels of Wizard you're trying to give up," or "Invalid Input"

No, that is your best answer and it is as unhelpful as it is off-topic.

omniknight
2014-07-24, 11:31 PM
I don't know if this is the best thread to ask this but it ain't worth it opening a new one just to ask: what's your opinion on the wizard schools? Any of them strike out as particularly enhancing? I'd vote for enchantment as perhaps the best one and transmutation for the most meh (the healing/reviving is nothing to scoff at but... I expected something more along self-transformation lines).

Personally I am most interested in the Evocation and Transmutation Wizard schools.

Evocation: As someone planning on lobbing a lot of fireballs Sculpt Spells looks very useful (and it is not even tied to a limited number of uses per rest). Potent Cantrip provides guaranteed damage to Cantrips which is a nice buff to them. Empowered Evocation is a welcome spell damage buff, especially to spells that split their attacks so the bonus damage stacks multiple times (like MM or Scorching Ray). And Overchannel is just a straight-up awesome damage buff. Depending on HP and availability of healing it I could see it being used 3-6 times per long rest.

Transmutation: Per the Alpha RAW this school is overpowered and broken. Infinite gold and all of that. I expect they will rebalance it significantly but I am curious to see what survives. The Philosopher's Stone and Shapechanger features are quite interesting. The whole school adds lots of non-spellcasting versatility to the Wizard which is why I like it a lot, but it needs to not be able to break the game's economy.

IMO, all the other schools either give lackluster benefits to spells compared to Evocation or they do not increase the non-spellcasting versatility of the Wizard to similar a degree that Transmutation does.

omniknight
2014-07-24, 11:53 PM
Without my own personal opinions getting in the way....

Dip rogue for Wizard. It is classic example of two classes that work functionally well together in virtually EVERY scenario. You pick up double prof, thieves tools (which saves knock slots), and you get several toys to escape/delay/etc when you do occasionally get caught.

This however is not based on numbers. As raw numbers are often completely misleading when it comes time to roll the dice.

Rogue is not a bad idea for the reasons you state, but as I have thought about this more I really want to avoid losing spell slots. With a single level dip in Cleric, Wizards get a lot of benefits that would take many ASIs make up for and then still have all spell slots at level 20.

omniknight
2014-07-24, 11:58 PM
I know cross-classing with other caster classes usually isn't worth it (unless you're doing some kind of theurge character), but the Warlock from the PHB might have its uses from the looks of it. Depending on how the multiclass system (especially with regards to casters) ends up working, you could potentially add:

-Light Armor Proficiency (not much, but better than nothing)
-Simple Weapon Proficiency (fills out the wizard's options)
-Otherworldly Patron & Pact Boons (Boon requires level 3, but depending on what's available, there could be some reasonable options)
-Invocations & Pact Magic (More resources, and a small pool of additional level 1-2 spells to work with, potentially for each encounter)
-D8 Hit-Die (extra hit points are always a nice bonus)
-Skill/Stat Proficiencies (Likely to have Charisma as a proficiency, since they're a charisma caster)

That said, I'm not sold on level-dipping characters in 5e until I see the multiclass system. Less for whatever restrictions it gives for starting a multiclass, but more for the fact that everything I've seen so far points to the fact that Ability Score Improvements/Feats are tied to class level, and not character level. If that's the case, level dips that don't offer you the most number of Improvements/Feats have to account for that as well. I mean, any 2-level dip might add a lot to a class, but losing those 2 levels (which looks to be a couple mid-level spells/day + Spell Mastery for Wizard) and a +2/Feat might not be worth it once all is said and done.

The problem with Warlocks is since their spell slots work differently from other full spellcasters you lose your Level 6/7 spell slots for comparatively little benefit. If I was willing to lose those higher-level spell slots I would probably dip Fighter or maybe Rogue. By the way a 1-level dip will not cost any ASIs since classes get their last one at level 19.

Warskull
2014-07-27, 12:50 AM

They fixed half of the dip by mandating that the player meets the stat requirement of the current class before multiclassing.

I suspect the solution they will go with for proficiencies is to simply spread them out so you instead get them over a number of levels in the class.

Personally, I feel Cleric is an amazing dip for the armor and Cure Wounds. You can scale that cure wounds up to any level. While picking up your armor you gain the versatility to throw a heal if needed. Cleric has some of the most universally useful level 1 spells. They are just jam packed with utility and can be upscale to use your higher level spell slots.

omniknight
2014-07-29, 02:47 PM
Personally, I feel Cleric is an amazing dip for the armor and Cure Wounds. You can scale that cure wounds up to any level. While picking up your armor you gain the versatility to throw a heal if needed. Cleric has some of the most universally useful level 1 spells. They are just jam packed with utility and can be upscale to use your higher level spell slots.

Yeah, I am settling on a 1-level dip of Cleric for the exact reasons you state. I feel the positives heavily outweigh the negatives for Wizard specifically since they have such a lackluster capstone. I wouldn't do it for Sorcerer or Bard since their capstones are worth getting (and they both technically have light armor proficiency anyway).

They fixed half of the dip by mandating that the player meets the stat requirement of the current class before multiclassing.

Do you mean that if I start as a Cleric at L1, to mutliclass to a Wizard at L2 I have to not only have 15 INT but also 15 WIS? If so, where have you heard/seen this?

Fwiffo86
2014-07-29, 03:39 PM
Rule adopted!

Even if its not really a rule, I'm using it. This is brilliant.

Human Paragon 3
2014-07-29, 03:43 PM
Rule adopted!

Even if its not really a rule, I'm using it. This is brilliant.

That is the case.

Note that many classes share attribute requirements though, such as Dex-based fighter and Rogue (and presumably ranger). Or Barbarian and Fighter, and so on. Sorcerer and bard. Basically, it's pretty easy to multiclass into similar classes, and much harder to multiclass between fundamentally different classes.

Theodoxus
2014-07-29, 03:55 PM
uninterrupted spellcasting progression

I keep seeing this stated, and I haven't seen where in the rules this is shown - is this an Alpha spiel, or did I somehow miss it in the basic pdf?

da_chicken
2014-07-29, 04:28 PM
I keep seeing this stated, and I haven't seen where in the rules this is shown - is this an Alpha spiel, or did I somehow miss it in the basic pdf?

In the final playtest, multiclass spellcasters used a single chart for spell slots per day. You added up all the levels of spellcasters you had (counting half for Paladins and Rangers) and that was the spell slots you used on the chart. This prevents a Wizard/Cleric from having a ton of low level spells. A Wizard 5/Cleric 5 would prepare 5+Int mod Wizard spells from your spellbook (so up to 3rd level), 5+Wis mod+domain divine spells up to 3rd level, and then get spell slots per day roughly equal to what a 10th level spellcaster gets. You'd have 4th and 5th level spell slots, but you wouldn't be able to prepare 4th and 5th level spells. You could only use those slots for lower level spells.

Net result is that you don't get to have gobs of spells per day by multiclassing spellcasters (although you do get to prepare a ton) and you can use higher level slots to enhance your lower level spells when possible, so you're not completely left behind.

Tholomyes
2014-07-29, 04:42 PM
I keep seeing this stated, and I haven't seen where in the rules this is shown - is this an Alpha spiel, or did I somehow miss it in the basic pdf?It's not in basic, due to not having rules for multiclassing, but Mearls has mentioned before (I can't find where he said it, but I remember seeing it) that spellcasting progression would be based off of total caster levels (with classes like Paladin, with decreased casting, providing fractional caster levels).

omniknight
2014-07-29, 09:14 PM

It is in the Alpha PHB and the last playtest materials.

omniknight
2014-07-29, 09:28 PM
That is the case.

Note that many classes share attribute requirements though, such as Dex-based fighter and Rogue (and presumably ranger). Or Barbarian and Fighter, and so on. Sorcerer and bard. Basically, it's pretty easy to multiclass into similar classes, and much harder to multiclass between fundamentally different classes.

Meh, if that ends up being true then I'll just readjust my stat allotment a bit:

Race: Hill Dwarf (+2 CON, +1 WIS)
Stats (27 PB): 8 STR, 10 DEX, 15 CON, 15 INT, 14 WIS, 8 CHA
Total: 8 STR, 10 DEX, 17 CON, 15 INT, 15 WIS, 8 CHA

Or I could take Half-Elf (if it still has the Multitalented trait). Either way, it would help me eliminate High Elf as a possible option, which is a plus for optimization planning.