PDA

View Full Version : basic feat and racial bonus question

dehro
2014-07-19, 02:39 AM
So... I died... again. This time I was reincarnated into an elf. He gets a natural +2 bonus against enchantment spells and abilities. He also has fey heritage which gives +3 on the same.
Do they stack?

eggynack
2014-07-19, 02:50 AM
Yes. Fey heritage is an unnamed bonus, so it stacks with everything. The elf ability is a racial bonus, which means that it only fails to stack with other racial bonuses. I'm not sure about the extent to which you can run up against that rule, because you can only have one race, and failure to stack would likely thus be up to the racial bonuses of templates or something, but that's a bit besides the point.

Curmudgeon
2014-07-19, 03:32 AM
Yes. Fey heritage is an unnamed bonus, so it stacks with everything. The elf ability is a racial bonus, which means that it only fails to stack with other racial bonuses.
I'm afraid you're mistaken about that. Racial bonuses are one of the three types of stacking exceptions. From page 171 of Player's Handbook:
The important aspect of bonus types is that two bonuses of the same type don’t generally stack. With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus works (see Combining Magical Effects, below). The same principle applies to penalties—a character taking two or more penalties of the same type applies only the worst one. A multi-racial character's racial bonuses all stack.

Your confusion likely stems from the Glossary definition and its list of two examples of stacking exceptions, which many people mistake for a complete list.
stack

Combine for a cumulative effect. In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack if they come from different sources and have different descriptors (or no descriptors at all), but do not stack if they have the same descriptors or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus or worst penalty applies. Dodge bonuses and circumstance bonuses however, do stack with one another unless otherwise specified. Spell effects that do not stack may overlap, coexist independently, or render one another irrelevant, depending on their exact effects.

dehro
2014-07-19, 04:06 AM
Are you contesting his reasons for saying they stack or are you saying they don't stack?

Curmudgeon
2014-07-19, 04:36 AM
I'm not contesting the stacking; I'm contesting eggynack's claim that another race's bonuses wouldn't stack with Elf bonuses, because all racial bonuses stack with everything (including other racial bonuses).

eggynack
2014-07-19, 04:46 AM
I'm not contesting the stacking; I'm contesting eggynack's claim that another race's bonuses wouldn't stack with Elf bonuses, because all racial bonuses stack with everything (including other racial bonuses).
Indeed. The answer was a correct one, but the commentary afterwards was incorrect.

dehro
2014-07-19, 05:06 AM
Gotcha.
Thank you both