PDA

View Full Version : Belkar, Durkula, and Durkon and character reform

Quartz
2014-07-19, 06:32 AM
Durkon is seeing and hearing Belkar's rant at Durkula, right? So he now knows that Belkar is truly changing, right? So does this mean that Belkar will die before Durkula is defeated?

Or will we have the situation where Durkula is defeated, Belkar dies, and Durkon resurrects him to the surprise of the others, only for Belkar to die permanently later?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-19, 08:05 AM
I see two alternative options here.

1) Durkon is either unaware that Belkar is truly changing, or doesn't see his change as all that different; certainly not enough to resurrect him. In this scenario, regardless of when Belkar dies in relation to the High Priest of Hel, Durkon doesn't bring him back.

2) The High Priest of Hel is defeated, but then Belkar is killed permanently, giving Durkon no chance to resurrect him.

Keltest
2014-07-19, 11:58 AM
I think its a bit of an assumption that Durkon can tell that Belkar is changing, and certainly a big assumption that Durkon would be unwilling to resurrect him without that growth.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-19, 12:44 PM
I think its a bit of an assumption that Durkon can tell that Belkar is changing, and certainly a big assumption that Durkon would be unwilling to resurrect him without that growth.

I don't think it is a big assumption. Durkon doesn't really have much of a reason to resurrect Belkar were he to die; it would just be a waste of resources, especially considering the much better candidates out there. If Belkar showed that he is becoming a team player, Durkon may have a better reason to resurrect him.

The first one is an a fairly large assumption, though.

Keltest
2014-07-19, 02:43 PM
I don't think it is a big assumption. Durkon doesn't really have much of a reason to resurrect Belkar were he to die; it would just be a waste of resources, especially considering the much better candidates out there. If Belkar showed that he is becoming a team player, Durkon may have a better reason to resurrect him.

The first one is an a fairly large assumption, though.

Regardless of whether or not it was intentional, Belkar has always been enough of an asset to the order for them to not want to get rid of him. I mean maybe if there are 2 people to resurrect and he has to choose, but theres no reason not to resurrect him if the resources are available.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-19, 02:52 PM
Regardless of whether or not it was intentional, Belkar has always been enough of an asset to the order for them to not want to get rid of him. I mean maybe if there are 2 people to resurrect and he has to choose, but theres no reason not to resurrect him if the resources are available.

Not true. Haley abandoned Belkar precisely because he was no longer useful to her.

It may be that once Belkar is dead, Roy will just be relieved that someone finally took that problem off his hands and will leave that way.

Keltest
2014-07-19, 02:58 PM
Not true. Haley abandoned Belkar precisely because he was no longer useful to her.

It may be that once Belkar is dead, Roy will just be relieved that someone finally took that problem off his hands and will leave that way.

Perhaps fortunately, Haley is not Durkon. Or Roy for that matter. Roy has shown a willingness to stand up for Belkar even when it would be easier (and arguably better) to just leave him to die.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-19, 03:02 PM
Perhaps fortunately, Haley is not Durkon. Or Roy for that matter. Roy has shown a willingness to stand up for Belkar even when it would be easier (and arguably better) to just leave him to die.

I still would say it's not all that big an assumption that Durkon would be willing to leave him dead, although I will admit that it is definitely possible he resurrects him. I can easily see events playing out where Durkon has no wish to resurrect him, or is told not to.

Reddish Mage
2014-07-19, 03:08 PM
The order already stood up for Belkar against Miko, convincing Miko that the order is evil and indirectly leading to her death (as the Oracle said). The Giant in his commentary to the relevant book said he intended to make it about whose team and who isn't rather than strictly good vs. evil. If Belkar was nevertheless "one of us" prior to his reform, it would not at all be consistent with the plot for the order to just leave him dead and for the story to just move on. Not recognizing Belkar's growth and understanding the true reasons behind Belkar's assault on the HPOH is going to cause massive problems when said vampire starts to cause mischief but it will not lead to Belkar dying an unrecognized heroic death.

My bet is that Belkar will die towards the very climax of the story in the last book and the order will want to resurrect Belkar but will be unable to.

Keltest
2014-07-19, 03:19 PM
The order already stood up for Belkar against Miko, convincing Miko that the order is evil and indirectly leading to her death (as the Oracle said). The Giant in his commentary to the relevant book said he intended to make it about whose team and who isn't rather than strictly good vs. evil. If Belkar was nevertheless "one of us" prior to his reform, it would not at all be consistent with the plot for the order to just leave him dead and for the story to just move on. Not recognizing Belkar's growth and understanding the true reasons behind Belkar's assault on the HPOH is going to cause massive problems when said vampire starts to cause mischief but it will not lead to Belkar dying an unrecognized heroic death.

My bet is that Belkar will die towards the very climax of the story in the last book and the order will want to resurrect Belkar but will be unable to.

Those are my thoughts as well. Furthermore, when V pointed out flaws in Belkar's plan to make Miko fall by having her kill him, "Durkon might not be willing to resurrect you." was not one of them.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-19, 03:21 PM
Those are my thoughts as well. Furthermore, when V pointed out flaws in Belkar's plan to make Miko fall by having her kill him, "Durkon might not be willing to resurrect you." was not one of them.

All right, I suppose that is a good point. I will concede that Durkon would probably be willing yo revive Belkar regardless of how much he has changed.

ReaderAt2046
2014-07-19, 05:02 PM
Durkon is seeing and hearing Belkar's rant at Durkula, right? So he now knows that Belkar is truly changing, right? So does this mean that Belkar will die before Durkula is defeated?

Or will we have the situation where Durkula is defeated, Belkar dies, and Durkon resurrects him to the surprise of the others, only for Belkar to die permanently later?

This presumes that it's possible for Durkula to be defeated without destroying Durkon, which seems highly unlikely.

LadyEowyn
2014-07-19, 05:42 PM

No, Haley abandoned Belkar because he was deliberately and knowingly counterproductive to her by murdering the Oracle when she badly needed to ask him for information. That goes far beyond merely not being useful.

In the first part of Book 5 he continued being so (e.g., annoying Roy into attacking him after Roy had just said they needed to keep a low profile, thus causing Roy to have to fight Thog and nearly die). Belkar didn't actually stop actively hindering the Order's goals until after Durkon's death.

And I expect, based on Durkon's character, that he would still be entirely willing to raise Belkar unless Belkar died doing something that was directly harmful to the Order.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-19, 08:52 PM
No, Haley abandoned Belkar because he was deliberately and knowingly counterproductive to her by murdering the Oracle when she badly needed to ask him for information. That goes far beyond merely not being useful.

In the first part of Book 5 he continued being so (e.g., annoying Roy into attacking him after Roy had just said they needed to keep a low profile, thus causing Roy to have to fight Thog and nearly die). Belkar didn't actually stop actively hindering the Order's goals until after Durkon's death.

And I expect, based on Durkon's character, that he would still be entirely willing to raise Belkar unless Belkar died doing something that was directly harmful to the Order.

Haley says that she was only keeping him around because he was useful and not a liability. It doesn't matter how unhelpful he was being, the point still remains that she said that was her reason for kicking him out.

Keltest
2014-07-20, 07:10 AM
Haley says that she was only keeping him around because he was useful and not a liability. It doesn't matter how unhelpful he was being, the point still remains that she said that was her reason for kicking him out.

Um, a liability is something that directly impedes your goals to some degree; something that hinders you. She gave him the boot because he became a liability to have around, not because he was no longer an asset, as evidenced by the fact that when she forgot what had made him a liability, she kept him on even though he was no longer helping them.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-20, 08:21 AM
Um, a liability is something that directly impedes your goals to some degree; something that hinders you. She gave him the boot because he became a liability to have around, not because he was no longer an asset, as evidenced by the fact that when she forgot what had made him a liability, she kept him on even though he was no longer helping them.
Her exact words are "I already told you I was only keeping you around because you were useful, and now your usefulness is as lost as your lunch." She then tells him that she views him as useless because "you killed someone we needed! You've been on the fence between asset and liability for a while, and you just dove headfirst down the liability side." So, Haley kicks him out because he was useless.

evileeyore
2014-07-20, 08:37 AM
I find it funny that people believe Belkar is actually changing.

Clue: Just because he's found something to care about does not make him a better character. He's still faking the teamwork thing. He's still a bloodthirsty psychopath. He'll still betray the whole team if it's in his best interest.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-20, 08:44 AM
I find it funny that people believe Belkar is actually changing.

Clue: Just because he's found something to care about does not make him a better character. He's still faking the teamwork thing. He's still a bloodthirsty psychopath. He'll still betray the whole team if it's in his best interest.

I think that many people are saying not that he's becoming a better person, but that he is growing and developing as a character. Also, Word of God says that he is going through real character growth as a result of his connection with Mr. Scruffy.

Bundin
2014-07-20, 10:13 AM
I think he'd be ressed, because he's their psychotic little cat loving murderer. And while Belkar may have started out faking it, I'd not be surprised at all if he falls into the same trap as undercover spies/agents: losing connection with 'home base' and identifying with the ones you're been living with for quite some time. You know.. "I've grown accustomed to his goody two-shoes face, and at least he leads me to nice battles on a regular basis / heals me / is a flanking buddy / saved my bacon so I could stab some more."

Kish
2014-07-20, 10:23 AM
Clue: Just because he's found something to care about does not make him a better character.
Yeah, it does. Even if he had never shown any sign of feeling anything for Gannji or Enor, Bloodfeast...or Durkon.

One is more than zero. Three is more than one. Four is more than three. Five is the number of non-Belkar entities to whom he has shown at least a trace of empathy, which would have been unthinkable to Belkar 700 strips ago. That doesn't mean he has any loyalty to the Order as a group or to any member of it except possibly Durkon, or that he isn't evil, that it would be in any way morally wrong if Solt Lorkyurg's sister cut his throat in the next strip, or that it would be morally right if the story ended with Belkar still a living adventurer. But it does mean he's a better person than he was when it made sense to theorize that he could only process two emotions, Hate and Lust.

warrl
2014-07-20, 02:49 PM
"Better" can mean "slightly less bad".

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Belkar has become a wonderful caring person. Or Good (and not many people arguing that he's made it even to Neutral). Just that he's slightly less bad/Evil.

Loreweaver15
2014-07-20, 07:54 PM
Yeah, it does. Even if he had never shown any sign of feeling anything for Gannji or Enor, Bloodfeast...or Durkon.

One is more than zero. Three is more than one. Four is more than three. Five is the number of non-Belkar entities to whom he has shown at least a trace of empathy, which would have been unthinkable to Belkar 700 strips ago. That doesn't mean he has any loyalty to the Order as a group or to any member of it except possibly Durkon, or that he isn't evil, that it would be in any way morally wrong if Solt Lorkyurg's sister cut his throat in the next strip, or that it would be morally right if the story ended with Belkar still a living adventurer. But it does mean he's a better person than he was when it made sense to theorize that he could only process two emotions, Hate and Lust.

That is quite an eloquent summation of the position, Kish. Thank you.

Keltest
2014-07-20, 08:00 PM
That doesn't mean that it would be in any way morally wrong if Solt Lorkyurg's sister cut his throat in the next strip

I take exception to that, but agree with everything else you said Kish. If Belkar is to be punished, it should be in a lawful enough manner that it can be distinguished from him simply falling prey to some other random psychopathic adventurer, or HPoH, or his own stupidity. Otherwise it isn't justice, its just Belkar getting killed ironically.

veti
2014-07-20, 10:04 PM

Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html) has (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html) always (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html) been (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0166.html) a (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html) team (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0383.html) player (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html), even before his hippie vision quest. Not perfect, of course - but then nor was anyone else. He went off the rails somewhat post-Miko, but I would extend some understanding to someone who was being coerced (by the Mark of Justice) to do something (play along with the party) that he would have done anyway. For instance, in the Battle for Azure City, he's the only one of the released convicts (that we see) who doesn't defect.

And the reason? He's a freakin' PC, sticking together is what they do.

As against that, can you give me an example of Belkar betraying anyone else in the party? The only case I can think of is the infamous "chases Elan around the room" incident, which is a one-off played so much for laughs that I can't believe anyone takes it seriously. Heck, within +/-20 strips each way of that one, we have: Durkon being wilfully dumb about curing his teammate, Elan destroying an entire dungeon, Vaarsuvius using magic in PvP, Haley tricking her partners out of their share of loot, Roy lying through his teeth to trick them into an entirely selfish sidequest.

Yes, he's evil. But if "being a team player" is the real test, he meets it far more often than not. That's why the party sticks with him when the chips are down. Does anyone seriously think that Miko would have been half as much an asset, if she'd taken his slot? She'd have wasted countless strips arguing, lecturing, hectoring and generally trying to derail the party in a dozen different ways.

Aedilred
2014-07-21, 12:07 AM
Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html) has (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0058.html) always (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html) been (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0166.html) a (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html) team (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0383.html) player (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html), even before his hippie vision quest. Not perfect, of course - but then nor was anyone else. He went off the rails somewhat post-Miko, but I would extend some understanding to someone who was being coerced (by the Mark of Justice) to do something (play along with the party) that he would have done anyway. For instance, in the Battle for Azure City, he's the only one of the released convicts (that we see) who doesn't defect.

And the reason? He's a freakin' PC, sticking together is what they do.

As against that, can you give me an example of Belkar betraying anyone else in the party? The only case I can think of is the infamous "chases Elan around the room" incident, which is a one-off played so much for laughs that I can't believe anyone takes it seriously.
I'm not really sure those examples prove the point you're trying to make. I mean, one of them even has the whole "Belkar wouldn't object to murdering his team-mates, so long as he gets to keep their loot" thing. By his own admission he nearly betrayed Haley to Tsukiko. He has directly attacked and injured Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html), for fun, to say nothing of pushing Vaarsuvius down an owlbear's throat. He abandoned V and Durkon to a horde of ghasts because he was bored. And so on.

I think you're confusing "Belkar is a team player" with "Belkar's objectives sometimes overlap with those of the team". Usually when sticking with the OotS is going to give him the opportunity to kill something, or when it would be directly detrimental to him not to cooperate (e.g. helping retrieve Roy's body).

Kish
2014-07-21, 08:08 AM
Durkon being wilfully dumb about curing his teammate
What are you referring to?

Keltest
2014-07-21, 08:21 AM
What are you referring to?

The only time I can think of was when he didn't protect Belkar from a sunburn because of that head wound thing.

John DiFool
2014-07-21, 11:39 AM
[Been lurking here for a number of months, and have been following the strip for several years now]

Right now, Belkar is Durkon's best buddy, seeing as he is the only one fighting for his autonomy/spirit, and thus represents his best chance of regaining control of his body-given the chance, darn right he'd definitely resurrect Belkar if he dies (assuming the prophecies are true about that).

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-21, 02:46 PM
[Been lurking here for a number of months, and have been following the strip for several years now]

Right now, Belkar is Durkon's best buddy, seeing as he is the only one fighting for his autonomy/spirit, and thus represents his best chance of regaining control of his body-given the chance, darn right he'd definitely resurrect Belkar if he dies (assuming the prophecies are true about that).

If Durkon had the freedom to resurrect Belkar, then he wouldn't need anyone to fight for his autonomy.

INoKnowNames
2014-07-21, 09:49 PM

Best Buddy my butt; if the shipping threads were still allowed, I'd -genuinely- support the Belkar/Durkon ship at this point. Vaarsuvius xixself said that Belkar pretty much just hates someone or loves someone, hence why drunken Belkar would make out with Vaarsuvius, simply because he doesn't know how better to subconsciously respond when Vaarsuvius stood up for him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html) Durkon just -DIED- for Belkar. That's Bromance fuel if I've ever seen it.

If Durkon had the freedom to resurrect Belkar, then he wouldn't need anyone to fight for his autonomy.

I think it was that, assuming Durkon gets freed before Belkar dies, or Durkon gains the capacity to resurrect Belkar after he's been freed, not reviving him while he's stuck in vampire form. But I'm not that poster's thoughts, so I don't know what he meant for sure.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-21, 10:02 PM
I think it was that, assuming Durkon gets freed before Belkar dies, or Durkon gains the capacity to resurrect Belkar after he's been freed, not reviving him while he's stuck in vampire form. But I'm not that poster's thoughts, so I don't know what he meant for sure.
My point was that once Durkon is freed, he wouldn't need Belkar to fight for his autonomy, so it's not a terribly compelling reason to resurrect him. Unless the poster was saying that Durkon would be grateful to Belkar for sticking up for him, but I didn't get that from his post.

INoKnowNames
2014-07-21, 10:09 PM
My point was that once Durkon is freed, he wouldn't need Belkar to fight for his autonomy, so it's not a terribly compelling reason to resurrect him. Unless the poster was saying that Durkon would be grateful to Belkar for sticking up for him, but I didn't get that from his post.

That's exactly what I was trying to say that he was trying to say (even if I may have been reading too much into his post). When you have a member of your party who knows you enough to know that the person masquerading as you isn't you, and you're loyal enough to want to sacrifice your life for him, you'd think the two of you would be friends. And friends look out for each other. And if one friend can easily bring back the dead for a few thousand gp, well, that seems like a trivial sacrifice, and the kind of thing a friend would do.

Darth Paul
2014-07-21, 10:43 PM
That doesn't mean ...that it would be in any way morally wrong if Solt Lorkyurg's sister cut his throat in the next strip, or that it would be morally right if the story ended with Belkar still a living adventurer.

Actually, there's NO circumstance in which it is morally right to cut someone's throat in revenge for their past deeds, even if it's disguised as a legal system. And if Belkar figured out some way to work out his own character's redemption, "Humphrey-Bogart-in-Casablanca" style, I for one would be delighted to see him join the ranks of "actual" heroes, rather than just "defaults to hero because he's a PC," and end the story walking off into the sunset with the rest of the Order. But it's not happening, due to the prophecy.

(Incidentally, can you picture Belkar in a trenchcoat and fedora?)

If Belkar is to be punished, it should be in a lawful enough manner that it can be distinguished from him simply falling prey to some other random psychopathic adventurer, or HPoH, or his own stupidity. Otherwise it isn't justice, its just Belkar getting killed ironically.

Yup.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-22, 05:41 AM
That's exactly what I was trying to say that he was trying to say (even if I may have been reading too much into his post). When you have a member of your party who knows you enough to know that the person masquerading as you isn't you, and you're loyal enough to want to sacrifice your life for him, you'd think the two of you would be friends. And friends look out for each other. And if one friend can easily bring back the dead for a few thousand gp, well, that seems like a trivial sacrifice, and the kind of thing a friend would do.

If that was what he was trying to say, then it makes more sense. What I got from it was that Belkar was his best friend only while he was helping him regain his autonomy.

r2d2go
2014-09-01, 07:21 PM
Actually, there's NO circumstance in which it is morally right to cut someone's throat in revenge for their past deeds, even if it's disguised as a legal system.

I'm not convinced. Especially in a D&D world, where some prisons are horrendously incapable of keeping people down. Basically, if your options are "disintegrate the guy and keep him down until someone blows a True Resurrection" or "keep him in jail for 18 seconds (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html)", I think the the choice is obvious. The revenge part might not be morally correct, but doing it for the safety of others, which is what legal systems tend to do? I don't think you can really say no circumstance.

On that note, I think Belkar's doing pretty okay. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure he's not doing this to help the party, but rather to replace the Durkula who sucked his blood with the Durkon who doesn't like him but will only leave him with minor wounds after healing.

Darth Paul
2014-09-01, 11:20 PM
I'm not convinced. Especially in a D&D world, where some prisons are horrendously incapable of keeping people down. Basically, if your options are "disintegrate the guy and keep him down until someone blows a True Resurrection" or "keep him in jail for 18 seconds (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html)", I think the the choice is obvious. The revenge part might not be morally correct, but doing it for the safety of others, which is what legal systems tend to do? I don't think you can really say no circumstance.

A) I think you just resurrected a dead thread.

B) The choice under discussion was the morality of "slitting a throat" specifically, as revenge. Actually, it was if the gnome Solt's sister were to hypothetically show up, and slit Belkar's throat, for his killing her brother. I still disagree on the morality of killing in anything but the immediate defense of life and safety of oneself or others, even if it's society (the justice system) doing it. You aren't allowed to anticipate that one who has committed the crime of murder is likely to do it again, therefore must be preemptively killed- at least not by my standards. In fact, Elan pointed out good D&D-verse reasons not to kill Nale and the Linear Guild, but rather to throw them into Shojo's anti-magic cells (he couldn't know that there was about to be an invasion).

The logic that says "A murderer must be executed to prevent him killing again" is the same logic that says "A thief will have his hand cut off to prevent him stealing again." I'm against that, because it deprives them of the choice to not kill or steal again. I believe people can reform.

Rant over. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Synesthesy
2014-09-06, 11:53 AM
Resurrect thread is on standard cleric spell list? :tongue:

However, I think that some of the Order could handle Belkar's death. Actually, I think at least Roy may want Belkar dead, becouse in "happy ending", the illusion (wich makes the Order see what they really desires becoming true, like the marriage of Elan's parents) shows Belkar death, and neither Roy nor Elan nor Haley wish Belkar resurrected.
A Happy Ending should show a "good aligned" Belkar, or something like that. Instead, it has shown Belkar dead.

Keltest
2014-09-06, 12:17 PM
Resurrect thread is on standard cleric spell list? :tongue:

However, I think that some of the Order could handle Belkar's death. Actually, I think at least Roy may want Belkar dead, becouse in "happy ending", the illusion (wich makes the Order see what they really desires becoming true, like the marriage of Elan's parents) shows Belkar death, and neither Roy nor Elan nor Haley wish Belkar resurrected.
A Happy Ending should show a "good aligned" Belkar, or something like that. Instead, it has shown Belkar dead.

Remember, Roy knew that Belkar was going to die quite soon. Had he survived, it would have undermined the illusion.

Kish
2014-09-06, 12:37 PM
A Happy Ending should show a "good aligned" Belkar, or something like that.
Belkar's not as important to Elan as Nale was, and his becoming good-aligned would be only marginally more plausible than Nale doing so. Besides, Roy knows about the prophecy.

brian 333
2014-09-06, 03:15 PM
Has anyone considered the idea that Belkar dies permanently because Durkula tries to make him a better companion by vampirizing him, then he 'forgets' to cast the protection from sunlight spell?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-09-06, 03:29 PM
Has anyone considered the idea that Belkar dies permanently because Durkula tries to make him a better companion by vampirizing him, then he 'forgets' to cast the protection from sunlight spell?

This isn't quite a permanent death, as the Order could collect his ashes and have Resurrection cast on him. Also, Belkar would probably realize that the spell wasn't cast on him when he steps into the sun.

ChowGuy
2014-09-06, 03:45 PM
You're forgetting though that Roy remembers the prophecy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html), and has already expressed the fact that he's willing to let Belkar become "someone else' problem" if/when it comes up. Why would we he want to have Belkar raised, just to watch him die again in a week or so? He's an adequate brawler, but he's not going to be that much use against Team Evil.

There's also the consideration that before they can even think about having Durkon raise Belkar, they'll have to get Durkon raised, and that's not going to be easy (look how long it took to bring Roy back). Especially considering that they're have to scrape together all their loot just to get the Arkhane repaired. Durkon bought some dust, but even if he still has it I doubt it will be enough for two resurrections so where are they going to get that much diamond?

Domino Quartz
2014-09-11, 12:22 AM
<snip>...just to get the Arkhane repaired...<snip>

What's the Arkhane?

Amphiox
2014-09-11, 02:19 AM
Durkon died for Belkar. He was willing to give his very life, and risk becoming the thing he most hated (and it in fact happened!) to prevent Belkar from dying.

No way in any of the nine circles do I see Durkon being unwilling to spend the 10 minutes and the diamond to cast a Resurrect on Belkar. In fact, if he was ordered not to resurrect Belkar, I think he would protest it vigorously.

Synesthesy
2014-09-11, 02:55 AM
Durkon died for Belkar. He was willing to give his very life, and risk becoming the thing he most hated (and it in fact happened!) to prevent Belkar from dying.

No way in any of the nine circles do I see Durkon being unwilling to spend the 10 minutes and the diamond to cast a Resurrect on Belkar. In fact, if he was ordered not to resurrect Belkar, I think he would protest it vigorously.

And don't forget that Belkar is the only one who understand Durklula is not Durkon. Roy, Durkon's best friend, doesn't. Belkar now deserves Durkon's friendship, Durkon is LG and Durkon will more like Belkar from this point.

However, we are all thinking how "Durkon, coming back from vampirism, can resurrect Belkar". For this, the first think we need is Durkula dead and a resurrection spell to bring Durkon back! So, either there is a Cleric who is able to resurrect people (and him can resurrect both Durkon and Belkar), or neither Durkon nor Belkar will coming back.

I think that the Giant won't make a cliché story. Belkar won't become a second undead or something, but we are not sure that Belkar will actually die. There is a lot of way to make a profecy untrue we don't even image. I think the Giant will make something like that. And if Belkar will actually die, he will die in the very last part of the story... and maybe, with Belkar's death, the Order will be no more.

evileeyore
2014-09-11, 07:35 AM
What's the Arkhane?
It's a magical Airship that flies powered by wishes and the dreams of children.

No really, just shovel those sleeping kids right into the furnace...

Keltest
2014-09-11, 07:37 AM

no, you put the mages in the furnace, the children are set up with a bowel of onions in order to produce tears for lubrication of all the moving parts.

evileeyore
2014-09-11, 10:00 AM
no, you put the mages in the furnace, the children are set up with a bowel of onions in order to produce tears for lubrication of all the moving parts.
Mine is lubricated by the distilled tears of strippers.

It's more satisfying that way. :smallwink:

And I don't let mages anywhere near the ship. They'd be yoinking all the Wish fuel!

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-09-11, 07:17 PM

Well, at least it runs on a renewable resource. :smallbiggrin:

evileeyore
2014-09-13, 01:09 AM
Well, at least it runs on a renewable resource. :smallbiggrin:
we here at EvilE Inc are all about being a Green Company. :smallwink:

hamishspence
2014-09-13, 07:04 AM
A) I think you just resurrected a dead thread.

Limit is 6 weeks as I recall.

Darth Paul
2014-09-13, 08:09 AM
Limit is 6 weeks as I recall.

Then I was mistaken and it was just on life support.

Eeyore, are you referring to that old Prince song, "When Strippers Cry"? Or did I get that title wrong? (Never a big fan of the artist formerly known as...)

evileeyore
2014-09-15, 01:38 PM
Eeyore, are you referring to that old Prince song, "When Strippers Cry"? Or did I get that title wrong? (Never a big fan of the artist formerly known as...)

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMGVMtnxXEw

Warning: NSFW (lyrics, not for foul language, but for 'foul' comedy)

Czhorat
2014-09-15, 01:51 PM
Given that the OOTS will have opponents of up to epic level, there are enough ways in which Belkar can not only die, but die in a manner that he'll STAY dead, beyond Durkon's ability to fix him.

brian 333
2014-09-15, 07:51 PM
We are all going with the assumption that Durkon is eventually 'cured' of his vampirism. It may well be that he is now able to return to his old homeland, since the prophecy said, "After you are dead," and he is now (un)dead. And the Mechane is on its way to the dwarven lands.

Perhaps the HPoH has some ideas on where to acquire additional clerics for Hel, starting with the priest who kicked Durkon out of his home in the first place.

Keltest
2014-09-15, 07:57 PM
We are all going with the assumption that Durkon is eventually 'cured' of his vampirism. It may well be that he is now able to return to his old homeland, since the prophecy said, "After you are dead," and he is now (un)dead. And the Mechane is on its way to the dwarven lands.

Perhaps the HPoH has some ideas on where to acquire additional clerics for Hel, starting with the priest who kicked Durkon out of his home in the first place.

As a cleric, Durkon is pretty much vital to the operating power of the team. Unlike Belkar, who brings no unique abilities to the team, he cant be disposed of without replacing him in some capacity, which isn't necessarily something a writer would want to do this late into a character driven story. Since the HPoH isn't likely to cooperate with the Order on a long-term basis, and Durkon wont be in control as long as the spirit is possessing him, that pretty much leaves resurrection.

Atomburster
2014-09-18, 08:53 AM
There are so many options:
D 1) Durkon remains vampirised.
D 2) Durkon will not have the requisite item(Diamond Dust) to resurrect Belkar with.
D 3) Xykon will cast soul bind on Belkar/Durkon after killing them.
D 4) Durkon is imprisoned permanently in some fashion, or cannot be brought back to life.
D 5) V somehow kept the scrolls of soul bind the dragon had, and used them on Belkar/Durkon for some reason, so no Resurrection.
D 6) Belkar will die of old age via an obscure spell or method, or does not want to return.

L 1) Belkar will somehow get the magical ability to not breathe.
L 2) Comic will end before then.
L 3) Belkar will be subject to magical alteration to such an extent that he cannot be considered Belkar. Mind Rape comes to mind, as well as Baleful Polymorph with a subsequent will save fail.
L 4) The Kobold was refering to a highly obscure definition of year, possibly an antiquated one that lasts for 18 months or something. Or that is based on Belkar's lifespan.
L 5) The Kobold was not referring to Belkar the halfling, but Belkar his pet, which he intends to kill in some manner before the year ended.
L 6) The Kobold Roy saw was somehow an illusion created via a wand, along with a greater invisibility on the Kobold himself(again, by a wand), meaning it was a fake.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-09-18, 05:25 PM
There are so many options:
L 4) The Kobold was refering to a highly obscure definition of year, possibly an antiquated one that lasts for 18 months or something. Or that is based on Belkar's lifespan.

Word of Giant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?153099-How-much-time-has-passed-since-the-beginning-of-OotS&p=8569129#post8569129) rules out this one.

Atomburster
2014-09-19, 02:43 AM
OK, so if Belkar gets polymorphed via polymorph any object into an air gnome (Or Air halfling), It'd have a duration of permanent, although not instantaneous.

+5 Same Kingdom (Animal)
+2 Same Size (Both small)
+2 Same or lower intelligence (No racial changes)

I guess we can ditch L4 then, if Word of God kills it.

EDIT: It may be that the in comic world will be utterly destroyed by the Snarl, thereby negating "End of the Year" due to there not being any years anymore.