PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War game coordination thread

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-01, 08:08 PM
Okay, so I'm getting bored with beating up on the computer in Dawn of War, but hate taking chances playing with the general population of the multiplayer servers; half the time your teammates will drop on you which just isn't any fun at all.

I'm currently using the Dawn of War Expanded (http://hosted.filefront.com/riker2800) mod for Dark Crusade and haven't gotten any others for the new expansion yet, but if anyone wants to just play vanilla DoW or has anything else they'd like to try, I'm up for it. I highly recommend DoWXP; it's one of the best mods out there in my opinion and I've tried a boatload of 'em.

Screen name's Rogue_9. Anyone out there?

Dr._Weird
2007-03-02, 09:33 AM
I would be willing to play, though I'm not very good. Still, I'm not bad with Necrons (Imbalanced I know) and Chaos.

I'll post a user name if I get one.

EDIT: Just remembered, since I only have Dark Crusade, I can only play as Necs or Tau online... and because I suck with Tau, I guess I'd be 'crons.

Everto
2007-03-04, 05:41 AM
EDIT: Just remembered, since I only have Dark Crusade, I can only play as Necs or Tau online... and because I suck with Tau, I guess I'd be 'crons.

Same here.

My screenname is Fredz0r.

blackout
2007-03-04, 10:35 PM
I can no longer access my account, or make a new one...HELP!

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-04, 10:53 PM
I had that problem awhile ago, and then suddenly got access on my old account back for no apparent reason. I don't know what happened or why. Try contacting their tech support.

blackout
2007-03-04, 11:11 PM
K. Well, I'll probably just end up making a new one anyways. >:) GitP DoW clan is in da hizouse!

Vespe Ratavo
2007-03-05, 06:49 PM
Shrapnel42. All three games. Bring it Mon-Keigh. :smallbiggrin: PM or email me if you want to set up a game.

Exachix
2007-03-06, 03:25 PM
I just have vanilla DoW.
Name is Exachix. I play, usually, though the Gates are Vall or whatever they are. Usually because it's quite empty.

Dragor
2007-03-06, 03:43 PM
Warboss_Dumfuk here. I'd need to install everything again, but apart from that, I'll be game... I play as Orks and Space Marines, but Orks primarily.

Artemician
2007-03-08, 03:14 AM
I would try, but for some strange reason whenever i try opening the mod DC crashes.

Selrahc
2007-03-08, 03:31 AM
Need to make an account... but I would definitely be up for playing against some other humans(Only done that over LAN before).

I play, Chaos, Necrons, Space Marines, and Orks.... Or the others, but I don't like them as much. And I'm in GMT.

Everto
2007-03-08, 08:47 AM
So who's up for a game?

Dr._Weird
2007-03-26, 09:09 AM
Kind of thread necromancy, but it hasn't been a month yet and this is only on the third page. (Mods please give me a slap on the wrist if I'm remembering the thread necromancy rules wrong.

Anyhow, I started playing online recently. My username is TheDoctor777. Keep in mind that I'm still learning to play with Necrons and Tau, leaning towards Tau now because they seem more versatile and less sloooooow.

So is anyone willing to game? It would be nice to have a team game (4 on 4) with all GitPers.

Bryn
2007-03-26, 10:28 AM
Count me as willing. SgtZAxis (or was it SgtZ-Axis? I can't remember... :smallamused:) on both 'vanilla' and expansions.

Dr._Weird
2007-03-26, 10:39 AM
Okay, I'll create a game called "GitP 2v2" with the password Z-Axis and we can play. Any maps you prefer?

So, just post when you're ready to game.

BTW try not to own me too hard. ;)

EDIT: In the Lorn V section, since we're both in Europe.

Bryn
2007-03-26, 11:18 AM
(I'll have a hard time owning anyone, especially Necrons...)

Prepared to die for the Emperor, sir!

Whatever you like for maps, etc.

Edit: That is, when I've got the new patch, which might take some time.

Edit2: That's the patch installed.... to WAR!

Dr._Weird
2007-03-26, 11:49 AM
Alright, I'll get the game up. Would've responded sooner, but I was in a 2v2 that lasted longer than I expected. Tier 4 is fun when you're both Tau so you can have Mont'ka and Kauyon.

Bryn
2007-03-26, 01:11 PM
If anyone was interested, here's a battle report. I've taken some liberties for the sake of creating an interesting story.

The men of the Ryskan VII ((strictly speaking, I was playing the Verdis 8th, but since there is no possible background reason for them being there, so my Guard were really Ryskan VII)) had spent several days entrenching their position in the ruined city. Hours upon hours carrying sandbags, digging trenches, and setting gun turrets had created an impressive fortress, and to those inside it, it seemed inpregnable. Now, as the men sat around the long tables in the main headquarters building, with aching backs and tired muscles, they nonetheless felt the satisfaction of a good day's work.

The next day, the sun arose over Private Matrikov, who was busily watching the techpriests working to construct another prefabricated building. Servitors crawled over the structure, placing metal panels and girders, as the techpriests walked steadily back and forth, clicking in the strange tongue of the machines. Even though he had seen the process enacted many times in his lifetime, Matrikov still found it more interesting than the empty and forlorn city. The bleak countenances of the buildings were riddled with holes from shells and bullets, yet for all he looked Matrikov could not see a single xenos monstrosity. The only point of interest during the night had been the sighting of a green light somewhere far off across the river, but it quickly vanished.

Shortly, the techpriests finished their work, and began chanting, a low hum that rose in pitch to become eerily high before fading completely. That completed, they moved away to start working on more structures as a long train of servitors carried weapons and ammunition into the newly created armoury. Matrikov looked out over the city, the sunrise glinting off the tops of the ruined buildings spread out in a dramatic vista before him. Over the heads of Squad Cirrif, he thought he could see something that had not been there the morning before. He squinted, but could not make anything out. Probably nothing.

Then, suddenly, the explosions started.

A cloud of green fire burst forwards from the surrounding buildings, and a nearby squad were blasted into bloody rags. Alarms immediately went up around the camp as a towering figure, dressed in rags and apparently clad in metal, strode forwards out of the morning mists. Grenades immediately came bursting in from nearby squads, doing little to harm the creatures as it marched forwards to engage Squad Cirrif in close combat.

Shaking his head, Matrikov raised his lasgun and began firing, hoping he wouldn't hit any other guardsmen amongst the melee. Green fire crackled around the strange figure, and as Matrikov watched it lifted Sergeant Cirrif himself and tore him in two, throwing the bloody mess aside before turning to attack another hapless soldier.

Nonetheless, it seemed the Guardsmen were getting an edge on the creature. It was clearly damaged, and Matrikov hoped they would manage to destroy this creature. He no longer harboured any doubts about the presence of Xenos in the city.

Then, without warning, the figure vanished.

-=][=-

Squad Rimann advanced cautiously through the ruins of a hab block, crouching near the windows and peering out onto the street. They were looking for xenos, and it seemed they had found them. Through the mist ahead they could see a green glow, and the top of an immense pyramid-like structure could just be seen. Rimann signalled to the voxcaster operator. They had found their targets.

Then, a clatter of rocks broke the silence, and the voxcaster operator slid down the slope to land on the street below. Immediately, the green light flared up, and in moments the voxcaster operator had exploded in a burst of green lightning. Knowing they had been found, Rimann gave the signal to charge, and they burst forth from the ruins to meet ranks of metal figures emerging from the fog. Rimann shouted and they opened fire, grenades crashing down among the figures, but they kept coming.

In a burst of green lightning, another appeared, towering over the approaching metal legions. With a single swing of its staff it eviscerated one of the grenadiers, and a second fell trying to strike it with a bayonet. Hating himself for his cowardice, Rimann ordered the retreat.

-=][=-

The departure of the towering Xenos creature left the base in disarray. The defences that had taken so many hours to set proved futile, and now the officers ran back and forth, shouting orders to get the camp back in line. Fortunately, casualties had not been too bad, and it did not take long to muster the troops.

At some point during the confusion, a Chimera had arrived and deposited the troops inside it. Fortunately, Squad Rimann had revealed the location of their foes, and they were just about ready to launch an attack.

As the Guardsmen advanced out into the square, a single voxcaster crackled back in the main camp. The forward base had fallen, and squad Rimann with it. The advancing army paid no heed, however: indeed, if they had known, the commanders would have been happy: it would give them time to attack the enemy structures before they returned. The guardsmen themselves might not have been so happy, but they didn't know...

They encountered no resistance as they approached the enemy. The fog grew thick about them, though: faint green glows could be faintly seen but nothing was revealed. They quickly destroyed the few structures they encountered, when suddenly, out of nowhere, the Necrons appeared.

Immediately, the air was filled with lasgun and grenade fire, and a number of the metal creatures were rapidly cut down. Victory seemed near when a strange pillar of green fire appeared in the sky, reaching up through the fog. Suddenly, weapons ceased working: grenades jammed in their barrels and lasguns failed to operate, the ammunition in the clips inexplicably vanishing. The Necrons cut them down in moments.

-=][=-

Back at the Imperial Guard headquarters, a number of chimeras rolled to a halt, and Guard squads leapt out, weapons at the ready. At the head of them, their commander, one Lieutenant Rofka, spat on the floor.

"The fools! They've already attacked!" he announced.

Moments later, he was flayed alive by a ray of energy from the approaching metal ranks who advanced out of the fog.

The air quickly filled with grenades, but nothing could be done to stop the incessant tide of Necron warriors who advanced out of the mist. Men were slain in dozens, and rapidly the Necrons advanced on the buildings and began to tear them down. Brutal monstrosities, covered in skin and armed with wicked claws, tore apart the remaining resistances. The defences that had taken so long to build did nothing against the Necron legions that approached.

The battle was over, and the Imperial Guard had lost.

Dr._Weird
2007-03-26, 01:41 PM
That was great, Z-Axis. I can only imagine what it would have been like with a closer match. I look forward to our rematch when I play a less overpowered faction. (Read: Tau)

:smallsmile:

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-28, 06:08 AM
I'm up for gaming with anyone. I've been playing since Dawn of War 1.0, but I'm always willing to train in some new players. Just set a time; I usually am not paying enough attention to this forum to be ready at a moment's notice.

Dr._Weird
2007-03-28, 09:35 AM
I always like to play, I'm okay but my micro starts to suck when the action gets heavy. (Builders standing around doing nothing instead of the things they should be doing, floating tons of resources when I could be reinforcing the battle or researching stuff.)

I might be able to today. Might. I'll post later if I can.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-29, 08:49 AM
I'm awake early and have nothing to do all day. Anyone up for a game? Either vanilla or the mod I linked to above; I prefer the mod, but will play either.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-03-29, 11:35 AM
Apelord would like to out himself forward to join this 'club' or whatever, however he only has normal DoW :( So anyone willing to play me will have to do it over original DoW

Dr._Weird
2007-03-31, 09:45 AM
Sorry Apey, I just have DC so I can't play with you, but good luck finding someone who can!

Anywho, I'm itching to crush my pathetic enemies. (For the Greater Good, of course.) Also it's kind of annoying when you're winning and people say "OMFG IMBA!!!", so I figured I'd come to the smart side of the internet.

So, anyone up for a game now? It's Spring Break and I have tons of time...

DarkCorax
2007-04-02, 05:37 AM
I have all three versions, Names DarkCorax, although their seems to be problems with gamespy at the moment...

Dr._Weird
2007-04-02, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I saw that it was down a little while ago. I'll go see if it's up again.

EDIT: Yeah, it's up. ARE YOU ASKING FOR A CHALEEEEENNNNNNNGE?[/stinkoman]

REVENGE OF THE EDIT: Nevermind, it's still acting funky. No game for now I guess.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-02, 04:09 PM
Hmmm... I'd be interested. I'm usually around in Tartarus or one of the other low player count sectors for a botstomping session--gotten to a point where soloing 'Hards' is simple, 'Harders' not so much. I've got all three, beaten every campaign. Took awhile to run each of the races' Dark Crusade campaign--ran them on Normal and am working on Hard for the Tau. I am pretty good with Marines (though, who isn't?), IG, and Tau, with some dabbling in the other races. Haven't tried too many mods for it--I'll take a look at Expanded. Player account's Maldraugedhen , seperated from punctuation for copy-paste convenience.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-16, 04:09 PM
We don't seem to be getting a whole lot of mileage out of this thread...

Anyway, if we do get a regular GitP game group running, I recommend we use Hamachi (http://www.hamachi.cc/) instead of dealing with the GameSpy servers. The program is freeware and emulates a LAN over the Internet, so that we can play without having to deal with GameSpy or with giving each other our IPs for direct connections. The program works for just about anything you can play over a local area network, not just Dawn of War.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-16, 09:34 PM
Tried out that Expanded mod you suggested. That Eldar AI was nasty-sharp.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-17, 02:43 AM
Yes, the mod incorporates the Dawn of Skirmish AI mod that increases the AI's difficulty, as modified to let the computer use the new units. If anyone wants harder AI without dealing with learning new build orders and so forth, Dawn of Skirmish may be found as a stand-alone mod here (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=138032).

Everto
2007-04-21, 01:15 PM
I find Xfire is very helpful to contact other players if i want a game.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-27, 07:57 AM
I use Xfire myself. My Xfire username is renegadepaladin if anyone wants to look me up for a game. (My display name/nickname is Rogue 9, just so there's no confusion when you actually talk to me.) I always have it on when I'm playing Dawn of War, and will gladly stop a computer skirmish to play with someone else. No deal if I'm already playing with someone else, though if someone's willing to use Hamachi and try out DoWXP, I can get you in on the beta testing for the next version of the mod. The developer's in a hurry to release it, so testing is ramping up, which means loads of play time. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Ah hell, might as well try this out. I'll just stick my mini profile in here; should say when I'm online or not.

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/renegadepaladin.png (http://profile.xfire.com/renegadepaladin)

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-27, 09:28 AM
(My display name/nickname is Rogue 9, just so there's no confusion when you actually talk to me.)

Hahaah, hell yeah. Corran Horn all the way.

I can't remember if I've got an Xfire or not. If I do, it's this username and nickname.

Everto
2007-04-27, 10:39 AM
Mine's Evert0 although everto is my nickname.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-04-27, 02:03 PM
I'm catbarf. I play Guard mostly. I also have the Ork Swarm mod, which makes the AI mostly produce Slugga Boyz in five seconds each that start with full members but have half health. And they swarm you reeeeaaally fast.

lumberofdabeast
2007-04-27, 02:41 PM
Could someone please tell me more about this DoWX mod? I have dial-up, and want to make sure it's worth the three hours it would take to download before I start. EDIT: Never mind, found a changelog.

Mr._Blinky
2007-04-27, 09:00 PM
I got all three, if anyone wants to bring it. I gotta' make a new account first though. I pwn with Space Marines, though I haven't played in quite a while.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-27, 11:26 PM
Hahaah, hell yeah. Corran Horn all the way.
Actually, I've used that handle for a looooong time, long enough that I started with it before the X-wing novels were published. :smalltongue: I also play flight sims, and my "squadron" (clan for all you who prefer generic terms) in the X-Wing games' multiplayer was pretentious enough to claim the moniker of Rogue Squadron. :smallbiggrin: I was Rogue 9. Nothing against Corran Horn, mind; I just didn't take the name in honor of him.

Anyway, I'm going to play for a little bit before going to bed. I've already shut down my regular messengers, but Xfire is on if anyone wants to join me.

Edit: Okay, after playing vanilla Dark Crusade again, I've rediscovered how much the default camera zoom sucks. I recommend the Camera Zoom mod, found here (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=137248). It lets you zoom out farther and does nothing else to any of the game files. According to the creator and everyone I've talked to who uses it, it does not break online play; you can still play with people who aren't using it. The default is just insanely claustrophobic by comparison. I'll be using it with those who aren't playing DoWXP whether any of the rest of you are or not, just to throw that out there.

Lord Herman
2007-06-03, 04:55 PM
(risking thread necromancy here, but I thought it would be a bit silly to start a new thread if this one is still being advertised)

I play vanilla DC (anthology box set, to be precise) - I think my favourite race is the Imperial Guard, although I play most races in equal measure. I normally play skirmish, but playing against my fellow GITPers sounds fun! My handle is Lord_Herman. Just PM me if you're in for a game.

I just played an awesome skirmish game against hard AI - me and a computer as IG, against two Ork AIs. I usually don't bunker much, but this time I was practically forced into my base for most of the game, fighting off wave after wave of orks. I was constantly busy repairing and rebuilding my defences, and whenever possible adding to them. At one point, I was about to surrender - both ork armies were on my doorstep, and my army had suffered massive casualties. But for some reason, I decided to wait a little longer, to see if I could fight off this attack. The green tide almost reached my HQ, but I managed to hold them off. By then, my base was littered with literally hundreds of ork corpses - my defences were all but gone, but I had survived. I quickly built up an army, backed up by chimeras and sentinels, and obliterated one of the ork bases. Meanwhile, the other ork player had his hands full with my ally - I added a pair of leman russes to my already impressive army, and blew the last ork encampment to bits.

I really like the Imperial Guard.