PDA

View Full Version : Heavy armor only special abilities

Nicktacular
2014-07-19, 03:30 PM
I was wondering if there were any heavy armor on.y special abilities. I'm only asking because I know there are light armor only ones and it would make sense for there to be heavy armor ones

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-19, 03:39 PM
Races of Stone has the feats Heavy Armor Optimization, Greater Heavy Armor Optimization, and Deflective Armor. The first two combined increase your armor bonus by two and reduce your armor check penalty by three. The last one adds your armor bonus to your touch AC when psionically focused and wearing heavy armor.

Nicktacular
2014-07-19, 03:45 PM
While that's all well and good, I was wanting to know about special abilities like for magic armor not feats.

jiriku
2014-07-19, 03:48 PM
By houserule we restrict heavy fortification and magic immunity (a homebrewed special enchantment) to heavy armor and tower shields. However, I don't think there's any official enchantment that's restricted to heavy armor. Heavy armor doesn't get much love from the rules.

JusticeZero
2014-07-19, 04:12 PM
It's actually medium that needs the help, i'd think. Does anyone who has the ability to wear heavy armor wear medium armor? No. Does anyone with the ability to wear up to medium armor wear light armor instead? Yes, lots of them.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-19, 04:47 PM
While that's all well and good, I was wanting to know about special abilities like for magic armor not feats.

I thought you meant character abilities, like class features.

There are specific magic armors that are always certain types of heavy armor, but generally magical properties can go on any type of armor.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-19, 04:49 PM
It's actually medium that needs the help, i'd think. Does anyone who has the ability to wear heavy armor wear medium armor? No. Does anyone with the ability to wear up to medium armor wear light armor instead? Yes, lots of them.

Actually i do, usually im wearing a Mithral Breastplate, yes technically its Light but thats not the point.

JusticeZero
2014-07-20, 02:59 PM
Actually i do, usually im wearing a Mithral Breastplate, yes technically its Light but thats not the point.
If it's Light then it kind've is the point. I'm talking about people wearing actual Medium armor that has the functions and limits inherent to Medium armor, not Light armor that would have been medium if it hadn't been modded.

sideswipe
2014-07-20, 03:04 PM
If it's Light then it kind've is the point. I'm talking about people wearing actual Medium armor that has the functions and limits inherent to Medium armor, not Light armor that would have been medium if it hadn't been modded.

i wear mithril heavy plate. thats a medium armour :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-20, 03:19 PM

I hear Mithral Full Plate is quite popular. That has the functions and limits of medium armor, but requires proficiency in heavy armor to use.

Red Fel
2014-07-20, 03:21 PM
The big "special ability" of heavy armor is higher AC. At lower levels, that comes at the cost of ACP, ASF and Dex penalties; at higher levels, players are better able to mitigate that cost. In an ideal world, PCs use light armor kitted out with enough enhancements to make a set of Full Plate hang its helmet in shame.

That's the point. If you're optimizing enhancements on armor, part of the goal generally is to reproduce the effect of wearing highly protecting armor (i.e. heavy armor) without the sacrifice. There's not much sense in putting special abilities on heavy armor when the special ability the players will want most is "Treat this suit of armor as Light Armor for pretty much every purpose."