PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Druid (base class)

Baron Corm
2007-03-01, 08:42 PM
Defilers could be seen as the opposite of druids. Their goal is a simple one: to dissolve all life they come in contact with. This is accomplished through their bond with a demented twist on the force of nature that they call anti-nature. Anti-nature is just as real a force as nature, and defilers get their powers from it just as druids get their powers from nature.

Defilers understand that they can't wantonly destroy everything on a whim. They first must venture to a special school, similar to a monk's monastary. There they hone their martial skills as well as develop a bond with anti-nature. Of course, defilers are (usually) living creatures, and they hate themselves just as much as they hate other defilers, just as much as they hate alllife. One does not become a defiler out of a desire for power or even a penchant for evil; he becomes a defiler because he wishes to end all existence. Something terrible likely happened in his childhood that made him turn to the defiler monasteries.

Defilers work rigorously to be the best at what they do, because they are not unleashed upon the world until they pass their final test, in which they must kill every one of their peers and corrode their bodies to nothingness. If the last defiler standing fails to dissolve his peers' bodies, he must consume them in order to show his lack of compassion for sentient life.

Defiler

Table:

Level 1: Corrosive Touch (1)
Level 2: Bonus feat
Level 3: Foul Tactics +1d6
Level 4: Corrosive Touch (1d6), Resist nature's touch +1
Level 5: Dissolve
Level 6: Foul Tactics +2d6
Level 7: Bane of the Living 1/day
Level 8: Corrosive Touch (1d8), Resist nature's touch +2
Level 9: Foul Tactics +3d6, Acidic pain
Level 10: Bane of the Living 2/day
Level 11: Anti-Nature's fury
Level 12: Corrosive Touch (1d10), Resist nature's touch +3, Foul Tactics +4d6
Level 13: Vile Ritual
Level 14: Bane of the Living 3/day, Disintegrate
Level 15: Foul Tactics +5d6
Level 16: Corrosive Touch (2d6), Resist nature's touch +4
Level 17: Greater Dissolve
Level 18: Foul Tactics +6d6
Level 19: Bane of the Living 4/day
Level 20: Anti-Nature's Avatar, Corrosive Touch (2d8), Resist nature's touch +5

Alignment: Any evil
Hit Die: d8
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier
Base Attack Bonus: as fighter
Base Saves: High Fort, High Reflex, High Will
Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Defilers are proficient with no weapons. Defilers are proficient with all types of armor and shields.

Corrosive Touch (Su)

At 1st level, the defiler gains Improved Unarmed Strike and Cleave as bonus feats. His unarmed strike is treated as a monk's for all intents and purposes, but doesn't receive Flurry of Blows and gains advanced unarmed damage in a different way.

At level 1, he does 1 acid damage on striking with an unarmed strike in addition to his normal attack. At level 4, this becomes 1d6 extra damage. At level 8, this becomes 1d8 extra damage. At level 12, this becomes 1d10 extra damage. at level 16, this becomes 2d6 extra damage. At level 20, this becomes 2d8 extra damage. This extra damage is multiplied in a critical hit.

Bonus Feat

At 2nd level, a defiler gains Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat.

Foul Tactics (Su)

At 3rd level the defiler gains the ability to deliver his acid where it will harm his enemy most. This functions as the rogue's sneak attack ability, dealing an extra 1d6 acid damage for every 3 defiler levels.

Resist Nature's Touch (Su)

Starting at 4th level, a defiler becomes resistant to the effects of nature. He receives a +1 bonus to his saving throws against all divine spells and saving throws against non-magical poison and disease for every four class levels.

Dissolve (Su)

Beginning at 5th level, whenever the defiler kills a creature with his Corrosive Touch, that creature must attempt a will save (DC 10 + 1/2 defiler level + WIS mod) and, failing that, a fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 defiler level + WIS mod) or have its remains destroyed as per disintegrate, except that not even a pile of dust is left.

Bane of the Living (Su)

At 7th level, the defiler gains an ability which gives a creature a negative level once per day. This is delivered either through a Foul Tactics attack or a critical hit. He may choose whether or not to bestow the negative level. At levels 10, 14, 19, and 20, he gains an extra use of this per day.

Acidic Pain

Beginning at level 9, Foul Tactics attacks become incredibly painful. Creatures who fail a Fortitude save (DC 10 + defiler level + WIS mod) suffer a -4 penalty on attack rolls, skill checks and ability checks for 1 round per defiler level after being struck by one.

Anti-Nature's Fury (Su)

At 11th level, the defiler may call upon the forces of anti-nature to deal negative energy damage instead of acid damage on his corrosive touches and foul tactics. This can be done once per day as a free action and lasts for 1 minute.

Vile Ritual (Sp)

At 13th level, the defiler may cast Barghest's Feast as a spell-like ability once per day with no material component. He may also cast the spell Diminish Plants once per day, except that it fully destroys the plants and renders the ground infertile for one year. His caster level is equal to his defiler level.

Disintegrate (Sp)

At 14th level, the defiler may cast Disintegrate as a spell-like ability once per day, except that it must be delivered through a melee touch attack instead of a ranged one and has no material component. If a creature is killed with this ability, its remains are fully dissolved instead of leaving behind dust. The defiler's caster level is equal to his class level.

Greater Dissolve

At level 17, creatures the defiler kills are no longer allowed a will save to have their remains dissolved, but they may still attempt a fortitude save.

At level 20, the defiler becomes filled with the power of negalife. He gains an extra use per day of his Bane of the Living and Disintegrate abilities. In addition, he may use his Anti-Nature's Fury ability an additional three times per day and his Barghest's Feast ability twice more per day.

Ex-Defilers

Defilers who are no longer evil lose all class abilities except their bonus feats and armor and shield proficiencies.

Triaxx
2007-03-01, 09:08 PM
Terrifyingly evil. A fantastic villain for a campaign. Could Bane of the Living function under a single use, and bestow all four negative levels?

Baron Corm
2007-03-01, 09:47 PM
hmm i don't think so. i don't know of any ability that can deliver 4 all at once, so that sounds a little overpowering to me. thanks for liking it though that means a lot!

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-02, 12:50 AM
So they get basically as many class abilities as monks, all high saves, and bab as a fighter. This doesn't seem balanced. It does, however, seem like a really cool spin on an evil character. Maybe just nerfed a little.

Icewalker
2007-03-02, 02:17 AM
I think it is extremely awesome, but definitely somewhat overpowered. The only thing that almost evens it out is the entire lack of weapon proficiency, but they do get hand-to-hand combat. It is kind of hard to measure, because they have loads of very powerful special abilities and then no weapon proficiencies, not amazing hand-to-hand bonuses, and no spells....

I say it comes out slightly overpowered, I'd just tone it down, like maybe weaken the disintigration and negative level stuff.

AMAZING idea though, I actually think I'm going to use this for my campaign. Excellent villain. I can see a big focus on diseases through someone in this class as well.

knightsaline
2007-03-02, 05:38 AM
ever heard of an old campaign setting called Dark Sun? Dark sun was a desert world where arcane magicians would defile the world by sapping the worlds lifeforce to work their vile magics. it was a requiste for arcane casters to be able to Defile in order to cast spells. they didn't HAVE to Defile, but they had to know how to. Defiling made the ground the caster was standing on become forever barren, never to support life again, unless someone worded a wish/reality revision/miracle properly. (really silly. you could just say "I wish for all the places that have been Defiled to become fertile again and also remove all power to Defile")

mockingbyrd7
2007-03-03, 09:20 PM
Okay, lemme get this straight.

The lvl 20 Defiler gets...

-Fighter BAB (+20)
-All High Saves with bonuses against divine and disease
-Monk skills and unarmed Attack with 2d8 acid damage multiplied by a crit.
-6d6 Sneak Attack with a massive debuff and potential level-drain attached
-d8 hit dice
-Evasion
-Touch attack disintegrate

...?

I LOVE IT!!!

This is totally awesome. All hail the flying poo!

Vaynor
2007-03-03, 10:44 PM
This reminds me of that one PRC in CD... looks pretty nifty though.

EvilElitest
2007-03-05, 12:41 AM
As a PC, not really much to do.
A a villian, unspeakable evil and scary
Great fluff.
from,
EE

Collin152
2007-03-06, 09:33 PM
This reminds me of that one PRC in CD... looks pretty nifty though.
Yeah, me too... The Blighter, was it? Druid-esque powers but requires you to destroy some nature daily to use it?

Vaynor
2007-03-06, 10:05 PM
Yeah, me too... The Blighter, was it? Druid-esque powers but requires you to destroy some nature daily to use it?

Yah, it gives you an ability that kills nearby plantlife.

Collin152
2007-03-06, 10:09 PM
Yeah, but you can only use it once per day, so it's pretty much something you do to regain spells. :(

Baron Corm
2007-03-07, 07:11 PM
i didn't have complete divine at the time i made this, but looking at it now it does seem like a bit of a rip off..

anyway, just to comment on the balance issues brought up, first of all acid damage is much easier to resist than physical damage in bigger quantities. i just gave him a level 20 capstone ability which increases his Anti-Nature's Fury ability (acid to negative energy damage) to four times per day, though. until level 20 he could have some tough times.

that said, in a campaign where monks get 3/4 BAB, this should also get 3/4 BAB. i just feel both should get 4/4. giving him 3/4 would balance it further, and i took away evasion as well!

about how you could only use this for an NPC villain - it wouldn't be hard to make a lawful evil defiler who sabotages the mission of the PC's without them knowing. for example, you go back and kill the old farmer and destroy his field after the group has collected their reward and left. you could play him just like you play any evil character in a good group, as long as you make sure defilers are not a well known organization. i've seen evil clerics get along fine in a group with good adventurers, this aint much of a stretch.