PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bones. Shaman Build.

AlisiTyranith
2014-07-19, 05:56 PM
Oh dear playground, I am in need of assistance when it comes to coming up with a character build.

I am looking to make a shaman like character, but don't want to do the typical "start as druid" type of build because I already played two different druids. All offical books, please. No dragon magazine.

The character concept so far is a little vague. I have been picturing the kind of shaman that curses people and reads bone shards and such. That kind of character that's sitting in the corner of the bar tapping little bird heads on the table. Weird and mysterious. (Seems a little cliche) But I guess that's it really.

Maybe divine savage bard?
Possibly spirit shaman?

I want a unique kind of build, so I can have a lot of fun with it. Thanks.

DMVerdandi
2014-07-19, 10:21 PM
Oh dear playground, I am in need of assistance when it comes to coming up with a character build.

I am looking to make a shaman like character, but don't want to do the typical "start as druid" type of build because I already played two different druids. All offical books, please. No dragon magazine.

The character concept so far is a little vague. I have been picturing the kind of shaman that curses people and reads bone shards and such. That kind of character that's sitting in the corner of the bar tapping little bird heads on the table. Weird and mysterious. (Seems a little cliche) But I guess that's it really.

Maybe divine savage bard?
Possibly spirit shaman?

I want a unique kind of build, so I can have a lot of fun with it. Thanks.

I would say, cleric actually. As a spirit shaman, you are still going to be playing with the druid list, which is mainly elemental spells, Animal spells, and plant spells.

Cleric actually has a lot of necromantic spells, spells for divination and summoning the aid and assistance of spirits. You can still instill a tribal feeling to it by simply fluffing it as so. Pick some cool domains, and you are done. Get a monk's belt. Wear a finger bone necklace.

If you had the time and patience, the 3.0 Shaman class was pretty sick. It was a great mix of druid,cleric, and monk, but it wasn't overpowered at all.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-19, 10:35 PM
Id second cleric, you can feel VERY shamany as a cleric.

Also Sorcerers can feel very shaman-eque

Coidzor
2014-07-20, 01:13 AM
The Shaman class from Oriental Adventures doesn't take much to update, and what fiddly parts there are for the class itself are covered in the handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?248262-Shaman-Handbook-Oriental-Adventures)for it, IIRC. The biggest problem it really runs into is the spell list and adjudicating a couple of 3.0>3.5 spells.

But it can mostly just get by with what it already has from Core, even without going through and adding any spells from expansions like Spell Compendium to it. Though I believe it is thrown a bone in terms of Spell Compendium Domains.

Pluto!
2014-07-20, 11:48 AM
OA Shaman is sweet. Definitely worth looking at.

I played a character like the one described in the OP in an Oriental Adventures game once, but instead of Shaman or Druid, I went with a Nezumi Necromancer Wizard, using etched bones as an alternate spellbook. I banned Conjuration and Evocation, as they seemed like the flashiest and least creepy/subtle things magic could do, but if I were going for more power, I'd probably drop Abjuration instead of Conjuration (I figure Necromancy, Illusion and Enchantment are essentially necessary for the concept).

Vaz
2014-07-20, 11:57 AM
Self imposed limitation from spells which you find druidi on a Spirit Shaman is still allowed. You don't have an animal companion, no Wild Shape, and no Spontaneous SNA for prepared spells (you can still take SNA, however, and qualify for Feat purposes, however).

If being undead is what you are about, you can turn undead via Bone Talisman, and do it more effectively than clerics thanks to CL boosters (although Clerics do have the best ones, like consumptive field).

Synar
2014-07-20, 01:02 PM
OA Shaman is sweet. Definitely worth looking at.

I played a character like the one described in the OP in an Oriental Adventures game once, but instead of Shaman or Druid, I went with a Nezumi Necromancer Wizard, using etched bones as an alternate spellbook. I banned Conjuration and Evocation, as they seemed like the flashiest and least creepy/subtle things magic could do, but if I were going for more power, I'd probably drop Abjuration instead of Conjuration (I figure Necromancy, Illusion and Enchantment are essentially necessary for the concept).

Well, abjuration is probably the most shamany school, what with protecting against evil spirits and mysterious magic (and all those protection charm and good-luck trinkets suddenly take new meanings), and acting in very subtle ways. More than illusion, I would say, but I guess it depends on the kind of shaman.

PraxisVetli
2014-07-23, 02:32 PM
Hello Alisi.
The ritual feats in Exemplars of Evil may be of use, they certainly have a Shamanistic feel about them. The book also contains a few nifty spells.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-23, 02:56 PM
Binder might be something to look at as well. Depending on the vestiges you traffic with, you can get a very shaman-y feel.

Dread Necromancer might also work, possibly with a dip in Binder or an investment in the feats which allow you to make deals with vestiges.

nedz
2014-07-23, 03:37 PM
Beguiler might work for you. Lots of Enchantments and Illusions for fooling the simple minded, pick up Arcane Disciple a few times to customise your spell list. You don't have to play a rogue type character and you have plenty of skill points for other things.