PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Stylish Telepathy/Telekinesis/Teleportation character

JKTrickster
2014-07-19, 06:21 PM
I need some help creating a Psychic character that uses Telekinesis, Telepathy, and Teleporation.

The problem is that I don't know how to balance a build between all 3 aspects. I'm trying to use the Psion class but it isn't quite fulfilling all 3 bases simultaneously. Should I use something else?

For example, I would really want to build towards the Mindsight feat. But that would need me to grab the Telepath 5th ACF. But aside from Mindsight, I don't really have to go for the whole "Mind Control/Manipulation/Blasts" aspect. I mean it would be cool, but it isn't the crux of the character.

But going Telepath means I have to waste a lot of feats grabbing the Nomad powers that I really like - I want to be able to do both Long and Short distance teleportation. The Nomad has a lot of those Teleportation powers that I really want and I would end up spending 3 - 4 feats at the end of the build on just acquiring those powers. That seems....very inefficient and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

It's also quite harsh when Telekinesis is split into 3 powers for Psions. It makes the whole Telekinesis thing very power consuming and only a mid level tactic. The Psion doesn't seem to have a lot of Force effects either, even if I go into Psychokineticist. I guess I can't just stick to Telekinesis for tactics in combat? But that seems extremely disappointing...

tl;dr: It seems like I can't do all the aspects equally well without delaying one of the aspects to the later levels. Are there any builds that can pull this off efficiently, even if by level 10? I'm even willing to look up homebrew at this point.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-07-19, 08:54 PM
One way to save feats would be to be a Ghostwise Halfling. They've got a racial feat in the Mind's Eye somewhere that requires a ML of 1, but gives them Telepathy (Su). Given that it doesn't specify a range, it defaults to the MM standard of 100ft.

For a higher level power, consider Inconstant Location (Sandstorm, Psion/Wilder 6). Swift action teleport (1/round) for 1 minute? Nice.

JKTrickster
2014-07-20, 01:03 AM
Hmm...I'm a little torn on the Ghostwise Halfling. It's not exactly a good Psion race but it does get the Telepathy.

Perhaps it might be best to go Psion (Telepathy) and just waste all those feats?

Decisions, decision :smallsigh:

Slithery D
2014-07-20, 08:17 AM
If you can use Pathfinder's DSP stuff use the Dual Disciple archetype. You get access to two sets of discipline powers (telepath and nomad for you) at the cost of discipline granted class skills and locking some bonus feats into your second discipline's lesser class abilities. Your DM might allow a modification for 3.5.

Red Fel
2014-07-20, 10:07 AM
You can get two out of the three with a Psion (Telepath) 6/ Elocater 6.

The extra Psion level gives the requisite BAB to enter Elocater. If you take Mobility and Spring Attack at 1 and 3, you can take Mindsight at level 6 and still qualify for the PrC.

That gives you Telepathy and Mindsight, and 6 levels of Elocater adds Psionic Teleport and Psionic Plane Shift to your powers known.

With regard to telekinesis, I note that only a few of the Kineticist Discipline powers are actually control of objects, as opposed to a form of energy attack, so you're not missing out on much. Further, some powers (such as Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Thrust, or Telekinetic Maneuver) are available to any Psion, regardless of discipline. So you can cover that comfortably.

Note also, however, that even without Elocater, the Psion general list includes Psionic Dimension Door and Psionic Greater Teleport. Elocater just gives you more out of your teleport effects. Also floating.

Emperor Tippy
2014-07-20, 10:25 AM
You can get two out of the three with a Psion (Telepath) 6/ Elocater 6.

The extra Psion level gives the requisite BAB to enter Elocater. If you take Mobility and Spring Attack at 1 and 3, you can take Mindsight at level 6 and still qualify for the PrC.

That gives you Telepathy and Mindsight, and 6 levels of Elocater adds Psionic Teleport and Psionic Plane Shift to your powers known.

With regard to telekinesis, I note that only a few of the Kineticist Discipline powers are actually control of objects, as opposed to a form of energy attack, so you're not missing out on much. Further, some powers (such as Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Thrust, or Telekinetic Maneuver) are available to any Psion, regardless of discipline. So you can cover that comfortably.

Note also, however, that even without Elocater, the Psion general list includes Psionic Dimension Door and Psionic Greater Teleport. Elocater just gives you more out of your teleport effects. Also floating.

Decisive Strike Invisible Fist Martial Monk 2/ Psion 4/ Elocater 6 is generally better for that route. Take Kung Fu Genius and use Martial Monk for Mobility and Spring Attack. That gets you better skill points, a number of minor benefits and Int to AC at the cost of one level of powers.

Elocater is generally never a good idea power wise but if you are doing it for flavor, the Monk entrance path tends to be more well rounded.

To the OP: I would personally just use Psychic Chiguery to pick up all of the relevant powers and spells as powers and then either go straight Psion (Telepath) to whatever level or Factotum 1/ Decisive Strike Martial Monk 1/ Psion (Telepath) 11/ Factotum 7 for a less powerful but more well rounded character that can still do what you want but tends to play more gish like.

Nettlekid
2014-07-20, 10:44 AM
Perhaps Ardent, taking appropriate Mantles and using the Substitute Power ACF to cherry-pick the ideal powers for your Mantles? I'd start out with the Freedom, Force, and Communication Mantles as the basis for your trifecta. Those three actually have a lot of the powers you'd want right out of the bag, so very little substitution would be needed. If you can persuade your DM, and it shouldn't be hard to do so, you could use the suggested adaptation of Mindbender to turn it into a Psionic PrC to get Telepathy and then Mindsight. That might make a good starting point, since Ardents have an odd, freer power selection method that can be inflated with Practiced Manifester to pick up high-level powers despite cross classing/dropping ML, so that frees up some of the Psionic PrCs like Psion Uncarnate or Elocator if you were interested in exploring those while still having access to your high level powers.

Vaz
2014-07-20, 11:05 AM
I used a similar build recently.

Spell to Power Erudite makes arcane spells count as powers, and for +2pp you can make them ignore material components.

Teleport Through Time is a spell.
Normally you cannot get it as Expanded Knowledge only allows powers up to 1 less than your maximum, and PsiChirurgeory requires an epic level Erudite to learn and then voluntarily give it to you. However Ardent Mantles do not work that way. If it exists as a power (so Epic StP Erudites are actually a part of the setting), then you can include it on a relevant mantle - time being the obvious one.

The ghostwise hafling fits in here as it provides telepathy. However, with metamorphosis and metamorphic transfer, you have the ability to take the form of a spellweaver for 1000mile telepathy. Due to its odd wording it is not clear if mindsight works on it, but its there. You can pick up telekinetic maneuvres (conflict? Possibly)

Segev
2014-07-20, 11:33 AM
Sorcerer could ironically be a good choice. Mage ahnd and unseen servant make your low-level telekinesis spells. Pick up the first level of Mindbender for telepathy. As you have noted, the sor/wiz version of telekinesis is a combo package. It is higher- level, though.

And, obviously, there are fly overland flight, and various teleport spells.