PDA

View Full Version : What If? What will happen if V failed to save [spoiler]?

With a box
2014-07-19, 08:47 PM
What will happen if V failed to save his family?

It could ABD acts really fast or visit V after kills his family and makes a bluff cheak,
but when V sell soul and teleports to home, his family is already died(unresurrectable)

will V be completly mad?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-19, 09:03 PM
I imagine events would precede in a similar fashion as they did in the comic. Vaarsuvius would hunt down the ABD (something they originally didn't want to have to do), kill them, and cast Familicide. From there, they would keep their hold on Haerta and proceed to challenge Xykon, where they would probably fail anyways. From there, things may be a little different, especially with regards to Vaarsuvius's redemption.

DaggerPen
2014-07-19, 09:23 PM
If V got there before the ABD left, V would be able to smash the soul gems binding vir family's souls and thereby let them be resurrected. If V got there after the ABD left, V would hold onto the splices as long as possible while hunting down the ABD, which would frustrate the IIFC, as they intended for V to go after Xykon, which this could likely interfere with. Familicide would likely still happen, but if V wasn't able to go after Xykon, then Redcloak would likely hold them in Azure City a while longer, while the Order tried to track down Vaarsuvius (before possibly giving up eventually) and eventually made their way towards Girard's Gate. With Familicide still happening, Nale and co. would still be thwarted in trying to narrow down the Gate's location, but probably wouldn't show themselves and would stumble around hopelessly trying to find Girard's Gate until the illusions wore off, at which point Nale would either fall for the "Your Gate is in another pyramid" thing and continue to search fruitlessly or be corrected by Sabine and realize he has no idea what to do now that he has a Gate. O-Chul wouldn't be freed, and the MitD wouldn't have defected yet, lacking the crisis impetus.

Gift Jeraff
2014-07-19, 09:33 PM
[spoiler] would die. :(

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-19, 09:44 PM
[spoiler] would die. :(

Way to get to the essential part. :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2014-07-19, 09:45 PM
The Ancient Black Dragon didn't have a means of actually making Vaarsuvius' family unresurrectable. Just beyond the ability of a sub-epic wizard to resurrect. Soul-Spliced Vaarsuvius, if s/he was somehow delayed in completing the contract for a year or a decade or a century, would locate the ancient black dragon wherever she had gone with epic-level Divination spells, kill her, murder everyone who shares her blood, smash the gem(s) in which she imprisoned the children's souls, and...then it would get problematic. Motivated primarily by ego as s/he was at the time, Vaarsuvius would likely twitch at the idea of handing the actual resurrection off to some mere user of fake magic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0650.html). S/he would collect enough of the remains of her/his spouse and children for them to be resurrected, of course--a finger joint or a few ashes would do as long as s/he could positively confirm the ashes had been part of the dead person's body--but they could wait on actually being resurrected, until a real spellcaster had fixed everything.

Which might well turn out to mean, "They never actually get resurrected."

NerdyKris
2014-07-20, 10:32 AM
What will happen if V failed to save his family?

It could ABD acts really fast or visit V after kills his family and makes a bluff cheak,
but when V sell soul and teleports to home, his family is already died(unresurrectable)

will V be completly mad?

V's family shows up in the strip?!?!

When did this happen?

Seriously, you don't need to spoiler plot points from five years ago.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-20, 11:05 AM
V's family shows up in the strip?!?!

When did this happen?

Seriously, you don't need to spoiler plot points from five years ago.

That seems to be a very popular thing to mark as a spoiler, for some bizarre reason. Two threads in the past few weeks.

Gnome Alone
2014-07-20, 11:10 AM
The Ancient Black Dragon didn't have a means of actually making Vaarsuvius' family unresurrectable. Just beyond the ability of a sub-epic wizard to resurrect. Soul-Spliced Vaarsuvius, if s/he was somehow delayed in completing the contract for a year or a decade or a century, would locate the ancient black dragon wherever she had gone with epic-level Divination spells, kill her, murder everyone who shares her blood, smash the gem(s) in which she imprisoned the children's souls, and...then it would get problematic. Motivated primarily by ego as s/he was at the time, Vaarsuvius would likely twitch at the idea of handing the actual resurrection off to some mere user of fake magic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0650.html). S/he would collect enough of the remains of her/his spouse and children for them to be resurrected, of course--a finger joint or a few ashes would do as long as s/he could positively confirm the ashes had been part of the dead person's body--but they could wait on actually being resurrected, until a real spellcaster had fixed everything.

Which might well turn out to mean, "They never actually get resurrected."

I don't think Vaarsuvius is quite that ego-driven; if she's not too proud to let Durkon heal her, I doubt she'd balk at having a cleric resurrect her children.

Unless we're speculating about a theoretical V driven further down the dark-side and needing more ego-gratification as a result of not even being able to save the kids with her Faustian bargain.

dancrilis
2014-07-20, 11:14 AM
The shock of being to late would likely cause Vaarsuvius to lose Haerta.
Depending on if the two other souls have better divination magic than Vaarsuvius finding the Dragon might be impossible.
However even were it not - without disjunction the anti-magic field of the mother dragon would not be pierced, thereby resulting in Vaarsuvius yet again being reduced to a pointy-eared monkey.
This would likely cause another soul to be lost.
At this point the mother dragon would be able to smack Vaarsuvius around for a bit like a cat playing with a mouse, and result in another soul being lost.

As such Vaarsuvius never reunites with the order (which is itself reunited), Roy gets raised easily enough and the gang move to Girard's gate - which is still guarded by Girard descendants.

However without Vaarsuvius to point out that the trap Girard left said 'us' the order would go with the plan to find Serini using Durkon's magic (and maybe having gotten a different wizard).

Nale would still be moving towards the gate - and that could play out in a lot of ways.
Finding Serini could play out in a lot of ways.
Xykon moving on to Girard's could play out in a lot of ways.

But baseline is that Vaarsuvius is most likely removed from the story by the mother dragon.

Kish
2014-07-20, 12:48 PM
Epic-level spells mostly go right through antimagic fields. In the really unlikely event that Jephton didn't have any destructive self-invented spells and Ganonron didn't have any epic spells except Epic Teleport, Vaarsuvius could, at the very least, flee as long as s/he still had Ganonron.

I don't think Vaarsuvius is quite that ego-driven; if she's not too proud to let Durkon heal her, I doubt she'd balk at having a cleric resurrect her children.
As I said--of course not. Eventually. After the most powerful spellcaster who ever lived fixes everything.

With no one else able to compare to her/his power, what could possibly stop her/him from getting them resurrected when s/he was done with the soul splice?

Gnome Alone
2014-07-20, 02:41 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood what you said - I didn't realize that by "fix everything" you meant more than just resurrecting V's kids.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-20, 03:51 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood what you said - I didn't realize that by "fix everything" you meant more than just resurrecting V's kids.

I think I might have misunderstood too. So, when you say everything you literally mean "everything"?

Kish
2014-07-20, 05:44 PM
I think I might have misunderstood too. So, when you say everything you literally mean "everything"?
I mean the reason Vaarsuvius teleported away from their family (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0642.html) in the existing comic.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-20, 07:51 PM
I mean the reason Vaarsuvius teleported away from their family (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0642.html) in the existing comic.

I apologize; I misremebered the line in the comic. I thought it was "There are still things I have to fix", not "everything". My mistake.