PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advanced Class Guide Campaign

Genth
2014-07-20, 02:37 AM
Hiya all,

I'm going to be starting a campaign in august, once the ACG has come out, and quite a few of my players plan on using the classes within. We have the pdf of the December 2013 playtest as a starting point, though we'll be using the 'proper' one when it comes out. I've looked through the Paizo forums and there is a lot of information in all kinds of different places. Now obviously we won't know what'll be in there for sure until it comes out, but are there any MAJOR changes to classes that are expected from the Dec2013 playtest? Not talking about extra Arcanist exploits or Slayer talents, but massive game-altering changes?

P.S. one specific change I'm thinking of homeruling in is for the Slayer character, that once he reaches 7th level, he can apply sneak attack damage to his favored target without the target needing to be flat-footed or flanked. Thoughts?

Yanisa
2014-07-20, 04:03 AM
Yeah, a lot of stuff got posted over at paizo, most classes are shaping up to be a bit more unique and not just carbon copy abilities from existing classes.

Did you read the blogs? They are collected in this topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359679-Advanced-Class-Guide-Preview-Blog-posts-Arcanist).
And before that we had some sneak previews, collected here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?349805-Advanced-Class-Playtest&p=17506067&viewfull=1#post17506067).

Besides that I would advice not to consider homebrewing before you have at least read the full version.

Genth
2014-07-20, 05:19 AM
Did you read the blogs? They are collected in this topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359679-Advanced-Class-Guide-Preview-Blog-posts-Arcanist).
And before that we had some sneak previews, collected here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?349805-Advanced-Class-Playtest&p=17506067&viewfull=1#post17506067).

Yep, I read the blogs and the sneak previews, but there seems to be a LOT of info in the forums as well, including the designer popping his head in and saying "Yep, I'll do that" to such a point where there could be a massive change that I didn't catch. But agree with your sentiment, hence why I'm encouraging people to take an Advanced Class.

Besides that I would advice not to consider homebrewing before you have at least read the full version.

Fair call, that was just something that leaped out at me - the Slayer has pretty pitiful SA progression, and my gut tells me it won't be able to lay down as much damage as I'd want.

Yanisa
2014-07-20, 09:46 AM
Yep, I read the blogs and the sneak previews, but there seems to be a LOT of info in the forums as well, including the designer popping his head in and saying "Yep, I'll do that" to such a point where there could be a massive change that I didn't catch. But agree with your sentiment, hence why I'm encouraging people to take an Advanced Class.
Yeah, during the playtest the developers the people did talk a lot, a lot of the changes we saw between the first and second edition of the playtest were a direct result of that, and even now many changes are most likely started from the forums, but good luck finding the individuals developer comments. My guess, from how things look, is that the blogs will reveal the last changes between playtest and releases and I didn't think they will alter anything after those blogs. After all the book is coming out in august, so it is most likely already finished.
In any case I'm pretty sure that there won't be any major class altering changes, even though many classes start to become more their own class, they are still hybrid classes and those core inspiration won't go away.

Fair call, that was just something that leaped out at me - the Slayer has pretty pitiful SA progression, and my gut tells me it won't be able to lay down as much damage as I'd want.
Perhaps, but that is a problem the Rogue suffers as well. Unlike other melee classes, sneak attack classes to need work for that extra damage, often meaning that a bit of bad luck or not the right circumstances drastically kills the combat potential. But unlike Rogues, Slayer do get more options then just sneak attack (from what my memory tells me, I don't got the play-test handy) so that might be less of an issue then the Rogue. But seriously I forgot which other tools the Slayer get so I cant say too much about it. And perhaps the blog reveal a tidbit more over the slayer's other options then just sneak attack, but it sounds like the Slayer worries less about being able to sneak attack then the Rogue.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-20, 12:26 PM

Don't forget that the Slayer will have full BAB compared to a Rogues 3/4 and gets some flat damage bonuses to its favored targets that improve as you level. You can also combo this with the ability to pick Ranger combat style feats as Talents. This would let you go with a Strength based TWF build if you wanted to.

Personally, I'm expecting that the writers probably gave up on their goal not to create custom spell lists for most of the classes. I'm hoping for significant improvements in the options available for the various Hex/Talent types lists. I'm still not expecting much that's exciting to come from the Swashbuckler class though =P.

I can say from personal experience that the Investigator has been a blast to play, especially with the updates presented in the blog. I'm working my way down the Kirin Style path to see how effect it winds up being in combat.

Genth
2014-07-20, 05:23 PM
Dude, the Swashbuckler looks awesome! I love any class that actually does the parry-riposte thing, dances around the enemy, and encourages team playing.

I always tend to look at classes and ponder what homebrew spices I can add to it, and the Swashbuckler looks really fun in that department too. I'm already thinking having some form of Panache Deed that uses a cape to stun someone.

(That, and I'm giving that player's character a trait to give a bonus to diplomacy and intimidation when wearing and flourishing a cape)

-------

Fair do's on the Slayer, I'll hold off for now, see what the player does with it. He's playing a small character with +Dex and -Str, so he may be going for a ranged slayer with high sneak.