PDA

View Full Version : Power-to-Spell wizard?

With a box
2014-07-20, 03:05 AM
there is a spell to power erudite so i wonder is there a reversed version of that.
how they handle the useagement of addtional power point?

AnonymousPepper
2014-07-20, 03:11 AM
There is none, but ironically it'd probably be a lot less broken than S2PE.

I assume it would work like or be converted using UA's Spell Point system (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm), which is basically Psionic power points being used for arcane/divine magic.

In Spell Points, it's

0 = 0
1 = 1
2 = 3
3 = 5
4 = 7...
9 = 17

Nettlekid
2014-07-20, 10:48 AM
Yeah, it would probably work out like "You now know this power as a spell, divide the normal power point cost by 2 (rounding up, minimum 1). A spell slot of this level is required to prepare this power as a spell." You'd run into some trouble with augmentable powers, since there's no real Wizard equivalent to that. The closest thing would be some auto-Heighten feature, "You may prepare this spell in a higher spell slot than normal to get the additional effects", but that wouldn't necessarily work for all of them.

ShurikVch
2014-07-20, 04:49 PM
Chameleon Crafting (feat from Dragon #349) allow to "place any spell or power that you know into any items you create."
So, if wizard-cerebromancer take it, he can write any of his powers on scrolls, and from those scrolls any other wizard can learn them.
And powers will work! Dunno how, but they will

FreakyCheeseMan
2014-07-20, 05:22 PM
My guess is, much less versatility. Power Points are the best casting mechanic in the game, more flexible than sorcerer. Getting to use powers as spells isn't nearly so great.

Really, I think that Wizards want Psion's casting mechanic, and Psions want Wizard's spells.

There are also, as has been pointed out, a lot of issues with augmentation - many powers don't make any sense, unaugmented. You could do something like "You can cast this power from a higher spell slot, getting 2 free points for augmentation for each spell level." Personally, I think that's a bit harsh - fairer might be "You get 3 points for each spell level, but you cannot exceed your caster level in point cost."

Might be better for a sorcerer, really.

Story
2014-07-20, 06:43 PM
Power Points are the best casting mechanic in the game, more flexible than sorcerer. Getting to use powers as spells isn't nearly so great.

It's more flexible, but far less powerful. Mainly because the lack of auto scaling with CL.

Nettlekid
2014-07-20, 06:51 PM
Power Points are the best casting mechanic in the game, more flexible than sorcerer. Getting to use powers as spells isn't nearly so great.

It's more flexible, but far less powerful. Mainly because the lack of auto scaling with CL.

I disagree. It's pretty much only damage and/or area of effect that doesn't autoscale, but duration and range still scale as normal. And honestly, those are the important things. If you really need the high damage then you can pay for it in PP, bumping up Fireball to Delayed Blast Fireball and the like, with no cap. But you'll be going with SoDs and utility powers mostly, and those work no matter what, and even have a built-in Heighten function with regard to paying extra PP for a boost in DC.

khadgar567
2014-07-23, 09:19 AM
guys in dnd wikia I found this article http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Bone_Shape_(3.5e_Spell)

Rubik
2014-07-23, 10:09 AM
guys in dnd wikia I found this article http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Bone_Shape_(3.5e_Spell)...I think you might be in the wrong thread.

Dalebert
2014-07-23, 01:21 PM
I have the power to spell "wizard".

Wizard. W-I-Z-A-R-D. Wizard.

PraxisVetli
2014-07-23, 01:59 PM

This guy gets it.

Aegis013
2014-07-23, 02:01 PM

Genius.
I chuckled.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-07-23, 04:18 PM
Dreamscarred Press has the Psychic Mage wizard archetype in ultimate psionics; If you're not using PF then it backports to 3.5 just fine. Strangely the archetype doesn't seem to be on the srd yet, so I'll just post it here (it's open content so it should be fine):

Psychic Mage (Wizard)

To some, the line between arcane magic and psionic power is a diffuse and confusing line. To others, it is a line that becomes easier to cross as their minds expand with the options magic allows for. Either way, these psychics can weave magic into psionics and powers into their spells to create effects that are unparalleled.

Arcane Bond: The psychic mage can choose Psicrystal Affinity as a bonus feat instead of choosing a familiar or item. If he does, count his wizard levels as psionic class levels for the purposes of his psicrystal’s abilities.

Psionic Infusion: The psychic mage chooses two opposition schools, but gains no additional spell slots. He instead gains Wild Talent as a bonus feat. This ability replaces arcane school.

Formulaic Powers: A psychic mage can scribe a psionic power into his spell book at first level and when he gains a new level instead of a spell. The power is chosen from the psion/wilder power list. He may also scribe powers from power stones as a wizard does from scrolls. He can also learn them from a psionic character that has that power. The time and cost is identical to adding spells to his spell book.

These powers can then be prepared as spells, taking up a spell slot for that power’s level and can be manifested by spending the spell slot. The power is treated as if the minimum number of power points needed to manifest a power of that level were spent on the power, but instead of spending power points, the psychic mage spends the spell slot. The psychic mage can spend power points to manifest a power he has prepared. The prepared power is not spent when the psychic mage manifests powers in this way.

Alternately, the psychic mage can expend a higher level unprepared spell slot to manifest a power he has prepared and treat the power as if the number of power points needed to manifest that higher level spell had been spent on the power. The prepared power is not spent when the psychic mage manifests powers in this way. For example, if the psychic mage has prepared energy ray in a 1st level spell slot, he could spend a 2nd level spell slot to treat the power as if 3 power points had been spent. The 2nd level spell slot would be spent, but energy ray would still be prepared as a 1st level power.

The psychic mage’s manifester level for these prepared powers is equal to his caster level.

The psychic mage must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the power’s level to manifest it and uses his Intelligence modifier to calculate save DCs for his powers.

Bonus Feats: The psychic mage can select Expanded Knowledge, Extra Power Known, or a metapsionic feat when selecting one of his bonus feats from gaining levels in wizard.

Arcane Power: Every time the psychic mage takes a psionic feat, his power point pool increases by 1. The psychic mage must get a good night’s sleep each day to regain his power points.

Arcanomorph: A psychic mage blurs the line between powers and spells at 8th level. He can expend his psionic focus to remove a spell component requirement or focus requirement from a spell he casts. Material components costing more than 1 gp cannot be removed in this way. Additionally. he can choose to add both vocal and somatic components to a power he is manifesting to lower its power cost by 1 power point (to a minimum of 1). This ability cannot be used on 0 level powers.

khadgar567
2014-07-24, 07:11 AM
...I think you might be in the wrong thread. yep wrong link from wikia sorry
here is the true link
http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Psychic_Arcana_(3.5e_Power)

nedz
2014-07-24, 07:17 AM
yep wrong link from wikia sorry
here is the true link
http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Psychic_Arcana_(3.5e_Power)

The trouble with dnd-wiki is that it's hard to tell real rules from homebrew — even when it is flagged as homebrew, as in this case — which is why we tend to avoid that site.

khadgar567
2014-07-24, 10:16 AM
The trouble with dnd-wiki is that it's hard to tell real rules from homebrew — even when it is flagged as homebrew, as in this case — which is why we tend to avoid that site.

its your own dance so I can just give some idea. Its you and your DMs choice

Immabozo
2014-07-24, 10:46 AM
There is none, but ironically it'd probably be a lot less broken than S2PE.

It certainly would be less broken. There are a LOT less powers, than there are spells, for starters.

Although, a theurge type with StP Erudite on one side and Power to Spell Wizard on the other would be kinda funny. Spells on another list? Turn it into a power! Once you know it as a power, learn it as a spell!

Certainly less broken, I think you should just use the spell point system from UA and then just let the former powers be augmented like they would have been for a psion. In my opinion, the less house ruling the better