PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for a good character generator

Neli42
2014-07-20, 03:24 AM
I use CharacterForge_v3.2.xls for my D&D 3.5 character generator, and I really like it [find it via a link at the bottom of this page (http://dhs.danville.k12.il.us/academics/library)]. It's very thorough, the file isn't humungous, it allows manual overrides in all the right places, and - as an added bonus - it is free. I am trying to find something similar for Pathfinder RPG that accommodates High and Epic Fantasy numbers. Can anyone help me out with a recommendation?

Neli42
2014-08-01, 01:55 AM
Seriously? No one in 12 days had any suggestions? This bodes not well. Either there simply aren't any good ones to recommend, nobody out there uses character generators for Pathfinder, or nobody out there *PLAYS* Pathfinder. :smalltongue:

Airk
2014-08-01, 09:51 AM
Seriously? No one in 12 days had any suggestions? This bodes not well. Either there simply aren't any good ones to recommend, nobody out there uses character generators for Pathfinder, or nobody out there *PLAYS* Pathfinder. :smalltongue:

Maybe you should... try the PATHFINDER FORUM? :P

Marlowe
2014-08-01, 10:34 AM
The one labled "3.0/3.5/d20"!

And could you please stop shouting?:smallsmile:

EDIT: Condescending Winkysmilie is condescending.

Neli42
2014-08-06, 05:05 PM
The one labled "3.0/3.5/d20"!

And could you please stop shouting?:smallsmile:

EDIT: Condescending Winkysmilie is condescending.

Oh, well, I'm not shouting. If I were, I'd be in all caps. Speaking in blue and a bit larger than normal is just my thing. Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable. :smalleek:

And were you just being snarky when you said to use the one labeled for 3.0/3.5/d20? That's completely generic. Pretty much any online character generator could fit that description. I'm looking for one that has features like the one I linked to in my original post, but tweaked for Pathfinder. I'm not proficient enough with Excel to tweak it myself (I tried, but was missing references all over the place).

Maybe you should... try the PATHFINDER FORUM? :P
Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't realize there was one. Just came here, to the RPG forum, 'cuz, you know...RPG! :smallbiggrin:

SethoMarkus
2014-08-06, 05:47 PM
And were you just being snarky when you said to use the one labeled for 3.0/3.5/d20? That's completely generic. Pretty much any online character generator could fit that description. I'm looking for one that has features like the one I linked to in my original post, but tweaked for Pathfinder. I'm not proficient enough with Excel to tweak it myself (I tried, but was missing references all over the place).

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't realize there was one. Just came here, to the RPG forum, 'cuz, you know...RPG! :smallbiggrin:

The 33/3.5/d20 forum refers to anything using the 3e/3.5 chassis, including Modern d20 (hence the d20 bit). Pathfinder fits comfortably under this heading. The general Roleplaying forum is used for more general stuff, while the 3e/3.5/d20 refers to questions specific to those systems (including Pathfinder).

That being said, perhaps this is what you are looking for: http://www.pathguy.com/PathfinderCore.htm

I use the Pathguy (http://pathguy.com/) generators for a lot of my games, although it does not contain everything, so YMMV.

Also, although the size of your font isn't terrible, blue is generally used for sarcasm on these forums. That isn't a hard rule, and I'm not trying to ask you to stop using it, just letting you know that you probably will come across some resistance if you use it. As long as you are prepared for that, there's no reason not to use it. :)

Neli42
2014-08-06, 06:34 PM
The 33/3.5/d20 forum refers to anything using the 3e/3.5 chassis, including Modern d20 (hence the d20 bit). Pathfinder fits comfortably under this heading. The general Roleplaying forum is used for more general stuff, while the 3e/3.5/d20 refers to questions specific to those systems (including Pathfinder).

That being said, perhaps this is what you are looking for: http://www.pathguy.com/PathfinderCore.htm

I use the Pathguy (http://pathguy.com/) generators for a lot of my games, although it does not contain everything, so YMMV.

Also, although the size of your font isn't terrible, blue is generally used for sarcasm on these forums. That isn't a hard rule, and I'm not trying to ask you to stop using it, just letting you know that you probably will come across some resistance if you use it. As long as you are prepared for that, there's no reason not to use it. :)

Thank you for taking the time to respond so kindly and thoroughly. It wasn't clear that Marlowe was referring to a forum; I thought the reference was in answer to my query about a character generator.

The generator you reference is thorough, but clunky. I'm hoping for something more elegant. *sigh* BTW - That pathguy's page sure looks like a lot of fun. Great way to waste a day and a half or so...

I appreciate the heads up about blue speech (pun intended). I just noticed a reference to it today, and also the Giant's statement that it's not a hard and fast rule, though no one has said anything to me directly about it until Marlowe asked me to stop shouting - and I think that was more about font size.

Thanks again for your thoughtful post.

SethoMarkus
2014-08-06, 09:31 PM
No problem!

I also use the Hero Lab character generator from time to time, but I don't often play Pathfinder so I haven't used that portion. You can download a demo of their program for free, but it restricts some functions (such as saving character sheets).

You can find that one here: http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab

illyahr
2014-08-08, 11:15 AM
I always just use Hero Lab. Ya, it's got a one-time $20 fee for the license. That $20 gets you two different systems (3.5, Pathfinder, M&M, WoD, among others to choose from) that you can tinker with as you please and a relatively easy interface if you want to add anything homebrewed.

Neli42
2014-08-21, 05:06 PM
Thanks, folks. I appreciate the recommendations.
(Sorry about the delayed response. I've been AFK for a week and a half camping)