PDA

View Full Version : Best offensive Conjuration/Divination spells?

Morph Bark
2014-07-20, 09:29 AM
I am playing a homebrew class that specializes in teleportation and has some divination spells. Since my character has few really offensive spells, I wanted to get some. The class happens to have an Advanced Learning class feature, allowing it to get an extra spell from the sor/wiz list at level 3 and every 4 levels thereafter. At level 11, this means I can have another 2nd, 4th and 6th level spell.

Any recommendations? The only really offensive spell I have standard on the list is cometfall.

inertia709
2014-07-20, 10:34 AM
The Orb of X line is great for dealing damage if that's what you mean. I especially like orb of force, since it's 1d6/level force damage as a touch attack without a save or SR, meaning that it's basically guaranteed damage; and orb of fire, since the secondary effect on a failed save is dazing the target for a round.

Outside of direct damage, Core alone has tons of great options for offensive conjurations. Black tentacles can end encounters against spellcasters, and offers great battlefield control against other foes. The Summon Monster line offers tons of options for meatshields, damage dealers and even spellcasters (i.e. Creatures woth SLA's). Glitterdust, stinking cloud, gate, maze and many other spells make conjuration arguably the best offensive school in the game. And that's just core.

Divinations don't tend to be as offensive, so I can't think of any off of the top of my head. I play mostly Pathfinder, so hopefully someone who knows more about non-core spells will comment later.

eggynack
2014-07-20, 04:27 PM
Well, it's only kinda sorta on the wizard/sorc list (it's a sanctified spell, so wizards can cast it), but if you're looking for an offensive divination, I've always been partial to the first level spell vision of punishment from champions of valor. It's a swift action, which is awesome, and it causes an evil creature to make a will save against being nauseated for rounds/3 levels. Also, if they pass, they're still sickened. It's cheap in both action and spell costs, only really having difficulties with the 1d2 strength damage sacrifice component, and the effect is a devastating one.

Riston
2014-07-20, 04:49 PM
For offensive divination I'd recommend Unluck from Spell Compendium. Any time enemy makes ANY die roll (even including damage), they roll twice and take worse result.

atomicwaffle
2014-07-20, 06:54 PM
Evard's Black Tentacles 4th level conjuration. It kills spellcasters DEAD.

Ellowryn
2014-07-20, 07:14 PM
Or there is the ever popular Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0020.html) Angry androgynous elf not included.

Cyrion
2014-07-20, 09:36 PM
If you want to stick with the teleport theme, you might get some good mileage out of baleful transposition. It allows you to rearrange the battlefield by moving your enemies. It's a will save, so you're not going to use it on the opponent caster, but it's definitely got some good potential .

Thurbane
2014-07-20, 10:06 PM
Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but there's a Divination spell that makes a crystal pop out of someone's head. It inflicts damage, and you can read their thoughts from the crystal. Also a swift or immediate spell from memory.

Crystalline Memories was the spell I was thinking of, but it's Transmutation, not Divination.

Darrin
2014-07-20, 10:16 PM
Offensive Divination Spells:

true strike (Core)
arrow mind (Spell Compendium, Rgr/Sor/Wiz 1)
critical strike (Spell Compendium, Asn/Brd/Sor/Wiz 1)
golem strike (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 1)
grave strike (Spell Compendium, Clr/Pal 1)
master's touch (Spell Compendium, Brd/Sor/Wiz 1, say hello to Mr. Orc Shotput!)
sniper's shot (Spell Compendium, Asn/Rgr/Sor/Wiz 1)
targeting ray (Spell Compendium, Brd/Sor/Wiz 1)
vine strike (Spell Compendium, Dru/Rgr 1)
vision of punishment (Champions of Valor, Sanctified 1)

hunter's eye (PHBII, Rgr 2)

altar fortune (PHBII, Brd/Clr/Dru/Sor/Wiz 3)
ferocity of sanguine rage (Dragon Magic, Sor/Wiz 3)
unluck (Spell Compendium, Brd/Sor/Wiz 3)

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-21, 02:06 AM
I'm partial to the 2nd level conjugation spell kelgores grave mist. It automatically fatigues and damages in a huge area at medium range if I recall correctly.

The summon monster spells are pretty righteous as offensive/defensive/utility/healing spells. Levels III and VII are my personal favorites.