PDA

View Full Version : [3.5E] Paladin in Need of Armor/Weapon Upgrade. Suggestions?

JbstormburstADV
2014-07-20, 11:08 AM
Hello,

I am currently playing a session of 3.5e with some people I know from my video game club in college, and the day after our second session, the DM advised that we should upgrade our armor, and f possible, our weapons, due to a lofty threat in the next scenario. Before we go on, this is currently a mostly urban campaign within Eberron, though we'll likely be wandering outside the city at some point. This so far is my current build:

Hervor of the Iron Will (yes, I stole part of the name from the viking "liitle miss badass," but I found it endearing)
Male Human, 2nd Level Paladin

Ability Scores
STR: 14 (+2)
DEX: 12 (+1)
CON: 15 (+2)
INT: 14 (+2)
WIS: 13 (+1)
CHA: 17 (+3) [18 (+4) with a Necklace of Charisma +1]

Hit Points: 22

Saving Throws
FORT: 9 (+2 CON, +3 Base, +4 Divine Grace)
RFLX: 5 (+1 DEX, +4 Divine Grace)
WILL: 5 (+1 WIS, +4 Divine Grace)

Init: 1 (+1 DEX)
Speed: 30 ft base
Base Attack Bonus: +2
Melee +4, Range +3, Grapple +4

Weapons
Morningstar (AB +4, Damage 1d8, Crit x2, Bludgeoning/Piercing, Medium)
Masterwork Longsword (AB +5, Damage 1d8, Crit 19-20/x2, Slashing, Medium)
Heavy Crossbow (AB +3, Damage 1d10, Crit 19-20/x2, Piercing, 120 ft, Medium)
Masterwork Greatsword (AB +5, Damage 1d10, Crit x2, Slashing, Medium)

Armor
AC: 18
Armor: Chainmail (AC +5, Max DEX +2, CP -5, ASF 30%, 20 ft speed)
Shield: Heavy Steel Shield (AC +2, CP -1, ASF 15%, Hardness 10, HP 10)

Skills (Ranks)
Appraise: +2
Balance: +1
Bluff: +4
Climb: +2
Concentration: +4 (+2)
Craft (Unknown Discipline): +2
Diplomacy: +11 (+5) [+2 Sense Motive Synergy]
Disguise: +4
Escape Artist: +1
Forgery: +2
Gather Information: +4
Handle Animal: +5 (+1)
Heal: +5 (+4)
Hide: +1
Heal: +4
Intimidate: +4
Jump: +2
Knowledge (Nobility/Royalty): +4 (+2)
Knowledge (Religion): +5 (+3)
Listen: +1
Move Silently: +1
Perform (Discipline Unknown): +4
Ride: +4 (+3)
Search: +2
Sense Motive: +6 (+5)
Spot: +1
Survival: +1
Swim: +2
Use Rope: +1

Languages
Common, Draconic (Bonus), Elven (Bonus)

Available Class Features
Aura of Good
Detect Evil
Smite Evil 1/day
Divine Grace
Lay on Hands

Feats
Power Attack
Quick Draw

Inventory
Necklace of Charisma +1, Weapons/Armor/Shield, Crossbow Bolts (10) x7 [9/10], Antidote, Backpack, Caltrops, Crowbar, Flasks x5, Flint and Steel, Grappling Hook, Ink vial, Ink pen, Lamp (common), Lock (average), Manacle, Potion; cure minor wounds x4, Potion; cure moderate wounds, Rope; silk (50 ft), Signet Ring, Torches x5, Vial x2

161 Pp, 9 Gp, 5 Sp

Total Weight: 119 lbs

I should also add that we have a base of operations in the city we're going to be in (we managed to take control of a Church of the Silver Flame from a member of the Emerald Claw who controlled a pyromantic Avariel; don't ask). I've got all non-essentials stored there, and we also have in neutral possession 6 heavy repeating crossbows, five more masterwork longswords,and one more masterwork greatsword.

Now, as the relative tank in the group (we've got a ninja, a rogue, a bard, a cleric, and a beguiler), I'm probably am gonna need to extend my tanking abilities, and I'm not sure whether I should buy new armor, or go for potions. If you have any suggestions regarding that, or deciding what discipline to take in Craft/Perform, your advice would be highly regarded.

Per Laborem ad Astra,
JbstormburstADV

VoxRationis
2014-07-20, 11:18 AM
You don't seem to have the funds for what most people would immediately say, which is "make something magical." I guess you could get +1 chain, but it'd be easier to just go for full plate, and you'd get more AC out of doing so. As for weapons, I'd say you've already got one of the better weapons in that masterwork greatsword, assuming you're not looking into reach or trip abuse. I need to run the numbers comparing it to the greataxe, but the basic thing with the greatsword is that it does damage more reliably.

toapat
2014-07-20, 11:22 AM
ya, at 1619 GP, you cant do anything worthwhile with your equipment (you are technically a bit overwealthy but paladins need as much wealth as they can get) I say save up for Alloyed fullplate of some sort because a Masterwork adamantine fullplate is more armor then an equivalent expenditure into your chain mail would yield.

Whats the point of quick draw?

Runeclaw
2014-07-20, 11:35 AM
Agreed; get some Full Plate if you can swing it, maybe Half Plate otherwise. Armor is a better investment than potions unless you have a very specific situation to prepare for.

I think you're overdoing it with two masterwork weapons and the shield. What is your fighting style? Two-handed or sword and board? (Hint: the correct answer to this question is: two-handed). Sell the longsword and the shield and use the money on better armor. Pick one style and maximize for it. Do carry a backup weapons, yes, but don't invest so much resources in it at this level.

I agree that quick draws is a wasted feat unless you have a specific plan in mind for it. You can ordinarily draw your weapons as part of a move action while still moving, anyway. If your DM will allow, retrain it to something useful.

JbstormburstADV
2014-07-20, 11:37 AM
I know the masterwork greatsword is a good idea, but what about enhancements, or can I not afford those yet? And then there's the option of potions/oils like Greater Magical Armor +2 or something like that. Also, I'm kinda a rookie too, so you're gonna need to help me a bit with materials and such.

As for toapat's question, I got Quick Draw so I can switch from ranged to melee without causing issues from losing my move action. That normally would not be an issue, true, but heavy crossbow.

Also, the longsword and greatsword were both pickups from my last scenario, so I replaced my ordinary longsword with the masterwork. Also, I do have a base of operations now, so I can store gear there. Any suggestions regarding that?

Subaru Kujo
2014-07-20, 11:52 AM
I know the masterwork greatsword is a good idea, but what about enhancements, or can I not afford those yet? And then there's the option of potions/oils like Greater Magical Armor +2 or something like that. Also, I'm kinda a rookie too, so you're gonna need to help me a bit with materials and such.

As for toapat's question, I got Quick Draw so I can switch from ranged to melee without causing issues from losing my move action. That normally would not be an issue, true, but heavy crossbow.

Also, the longsword and greatsword were both pickups from my last scenario, so I replaced my ordinary longsword with the masterwork. Also, I do have a base of operations now, so I can store gear there. Any suggestions regarding that?

Nah man. A simple +1 greatsword costs 2350gp (and is also the gateway to adding named enhancements (Flaming, Frost, and so on). So it'll be a bit before you can mess with that.

As far as potions go, Haste is pretty nice for a boss encounter, but it's a bit pricey for what you'd get out of it (5 rounds for 750 gp). So up to you on that one. If I had more info, I might be able to help out with that more.

But for the time being, I'm going to have to say (as many others in this thread have) save up for a suit of Full Plate. Can't knock that +8 AC you'd get out of it easily.

BioCharge
2014-07-20, 11:55 AM
If your DM will allow you to do some quests to get level 3 before the battle, and are using Races of the Stone, AND is using Pathfinder's feats at every odd level progression, get Battleplate. It's an exotic Dwarven armor that provides a +9 AC, +1 Max Dex bonus, and only a -7 armor penalty. The only armor that has a better AC than that is mountain plate, but that has too many drawbacks to be worthwhile. The Battle plate costs 2500 Gold + the usual 150 for MWK, making it 1650.

You already seem to have weapons covered, so go with that. If your DM doesn't allow the above things, go with what the others say and go Full-plate.

Edit: I also forgot heavy plate. It also has the +9 armor, but it's Dex bonus is +0 and the check penalty is -8. Useful if you don't want the exotic armor proficiency feat. This is cheaper than Battle plate too, being 2000 + 150 MWK = 2150.

JbstormburstADV
2014-07-20, 12:01 PM
I'm likely going to go full plate since we only meet once a week and the whole party gets together by then. Should I go masterwork, or is it worthless since I have proficiency?

BioCharge
2014-07-20, 12:11 PM
I'm likely going to go full plate since we only meet once a week and the whole party gets together by then. Should I go masterwork, or is it worthless since I have proficiency?

Always Masterwork. Always. Can't enchant it or make it magical without it being so. Plus, the -1 to the armor check penalty isn't bad either.

toapat
2014-07-20, 12:12 PM

dont aim for masterwork, you want to upgrade to either mithril or adamantine for it. You also want a gem of heavy fortification shoved in your chest in place of actually upgrading and enchanting the armor because the gem costs as much as +6 armor but doesnt require potentially expensive resale of the fullplate when you need a new metal.

and as has been said, you are a bit poor.

If you can get it, get SotAO and then get Acidic Splatter or another arcane reserve feat for ranged combat.

JbstormburstADV
2014-07-20, 01:29 PM
OK, so I bought a non-Masterwork full plate, sold my Chainmail, Heavy Steel Shield, and my regular longsword (I put it in the church we've set up in), so I have 18 Pp, 2 Gp, and 5 Sp. I figure that's all I can do to prepare. Also, I talked with the DM, and he told me I can retrain at a cost just a bit higher than 5,000 Gp, so by the time Sword of the Arcane Order becomes relevant, I'll likely have enough Gp to replace Quick Draw.

toapat
2014-07-20, 01:43 PM
OK, so I bought a non-Masterwork full plate, sold my Chainmail, Heavy Steel Shield, and my regular longsword (I put it in the church we've set up in), so I have 18 Pp, 2 Gp, and 5 Sp. I figure that's all I can do to prepare. Also, I talked with the DM, and he told me I can retrain at a cost just a bit higher than 5,000 Gp, so by the time Sword of the Arcane Order becomes relevant, I'll likely have enough Gp to replace Quick Draw.

you probably want to get Dynamic Priest (Paladin). Preparation and bonus spells with that feat are based off of Charisma instead of Wisdom. its not the strongest but its pretty good. Paladins can only take SotAO at minimum of 6th level, and its also a Faerun feat so you need to ask your DM about it. same with dynamic but i dont really expect a reasonable DM to deny a paladin easier attributes

A significant problem is alot of the really good paladin options are tied to settings other then eberron

JbstormburstADV
2014-07-20, 07:50 PM
Well I already have permission to join the Knights of the Mystic Flame and retrain Quick Draw into Sword of the Arcane Order, so I think I can get out of setting in terms of feats. If so, how do my options expand? And besides that, you can only take Dynamic Priest as a first level character. Or do I retrain Quick Draw into Dynamic Priest?

toapat
2014-07-20, 08:27 PM
Well I already have permission to join the Knights of the Mystic Flame and retrain Quick Draw into Sword of the Arcane Order, so I think I can get out of setting in terms of feats. If so, how do my options expand? And besides that, you can only take Dynamic Priest as a first level character. Or do I retrain Quick Draw into Dynamic Priest?

you are retraining quickdraw into Dynamic Priest, you cant take SotAO until lvl 6.

Fist of Raziel (Planescape but hes not imbedded really in any setting) and Ruby Knight Vindicator (Greyhawk) are the best PrCs available to paladin, You also could get the Underdark Knight ACF which is cool.

You already have half the feats needed to get into FoR, where as RKV is a pretty difficult to get into class for paladin

I assume you are taking all 3 levels of Mystic Fire Knight? if so the first sub level removes access to RKV, but i dont think the loss is exactly terrible. you can do alot with paladin without turn undead as it is, even if turn can push you into pretty crazy tricks

JbstormburstADV
2014-07-20, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I apparently have someone else for that (I think they're neutral or evil, though, seeing as they took control of the skeleton instead of paralyzing it), so Turn Undead is really unnecessary for me. I'll plan on this then.

toapat
2014-07-20, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I apparently have someone else for that (I think they're neutral or evil, though, seeing as they took control of the skeleton instead of paralyzing it), so Turn Undead is really unnecessary for me. I'll plan on this then.

Turn undead is for powering divine and domain feats, not Turn/Destroy/Rebuke/Command/Bolster undead

at MFK 1 (paladin lvl 4): you trade Turn undead for +1 spellslot at each level

toapat
2014-07-21, 12:19 PM
Here is the paladin's handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/paladins-handbook.html). its useful and most of the advice i could give you not involving homebrew comes from it