PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the Samurai class?

Dr. Cliché
2014-07-20, 01:31 PM
I saw someone mention in a different thread (which I didn't want to derail) that the samurai is even worse than a fighter.

Basically, I'm just curious as to what makes them so bad?

Ehcks
2014-07-20, 01:37 PM
Imagine a fighter, except instead of bonus fighter feats, he gets a set of specific feats he can't change. And a bonus to intimidate checks.

And nothing else.

AMFV
2014-07-20, 01:37 PM
Imagine a fighter, except instead of bonus fighter feats, he gets a set of specific feats he can't change. And a bonus to intimidate checks.

And nothing else.

And he has a code of conduct...

And his feats are several levels after they could be acquired...

Pluto!
2014-07-20, 01:40 PM
Like most nonmagical classes, it doesn't have features that do anything.

Eldan
2014-07-20, 01:42 PM
You get a set of bonus feats, that aren't very good, later than the earliest time you could get them and fewer of them.

awa
2014-07-20, 01:53 PM
also they are bad feats, two weapon fighting is not a good fighting style for a class with no way to boost it.

AnonymousPepper
2014-07-20, 01:55 PM
Don't forget, you get a free masterwork weapon! Oooooo!

AMFV
2014-07-20, 01:57 PM

I forgot that, that should definitely make them able to compete for at least 1 level... If the Barbarian couldn't get better bonuses by raging.

AnonymousPepper
2014-07-20, 02:00 PM
I forgot that, that should definitely make them able to compete for at least 1 level... If the Barbarian couldn't get better bonuses by raging.

Reminder that at this level an Artificer is busy applying Bane to his crossbow for ludicrous gibs.

Karnith
2014-07-20, 02:01 PM
I thought only OA Samurai started with them, and CW Samurai just get the free proficiency?

Regardless, CW Samurai is regarded as a joke for good reason; its semi-unique shtick (Mass-Staredown-fueled Intimidation lockdown) doesn't come online until level 10 and can get shut down by screwing up with your Code of Conduct, it gives TWF feats (several levels after you could get them normally) with no other supporting abilities, Kiai Smite is based on a tertiary stat and has laughably few uses per day (and Breaking Stare is pretty bad, too), the capstone is insulting, and its skill is only mildly better than a Fighter's.

It's better than a Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/npcClasses/warrior.htm), I guess, and it makes Ronin cool, but as far as the martial classes go it's at the bottom of the barrel.

AMFV
2014-07-20, 02:07 PM
Reminder that at this level an Artificer is busy applying Bane to his crossbow for ludicrous gibs.

True, but I didn't want to compare it to tier 1 classes... Just the lower tier ones. Since all the martial classes are in general less optimal than the caster classes. Why the Samurai sucks is that it's less optimal still when compared to the other martial classes.