PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Mindsight and spells

Hazrond
2014-07-20, 02:53 PM
I know that you cant cast a spell at something you cant see due to no line of effect, but what if say a human mindbender with the mindsight feat was in total darkness with a kobold 10 feet to his left, would the human be able to cast a spell at the kobold via mindsight-vision?

Segev
2014-07-20, 02:57 PM
I know that you cant cast a spell at something you cant see due to no line of effect, but what if say a human mindbender with the mindsight feat was in total darkness with a kobold 10 feet to his left, would the human be able to cast a spell at the kobold via mindsight-vision?

Mindsight is a special form of blindsense. Blindsense will let you pinpoint the square something is in. Actually attacking it still gives it the benefit of total concealment (a 50% miss chance), but anything that targets a square or area can target that square or area. Nothing about spells that target a creature without an attack roll says you have to see them, to my knowledge, as a general rule. In fact, I think (for example), if you knew (or suspected) a goblin was in range of Charm Person, but was invisible or in the dark so you couldn't see him, I think you can still target him.

I could be mistaken, though, so somebody may wish to double-check me if they know a rules reference.

Psyren
2014-07-20, 03:44 PM
Even if you locate an opponent with mindsight/blindsense, they still have total concealment. "You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies."

This means that you can use an effect that targets a square/grid intersection (e.g. most area effects), but you can't use anything that targets them directly. You can also attempt an attack roll into their square (e.g. a ray) but you are subject to the 50% miss chance unless you have some other way of detecting them.

Segev
2014-07-20, 03:58 PM
There you have it, then. Thanks, Psyren.