PDA

View Full Version : Improved Familiar for Warlock.

Bloodgruve
2014-07-20, 06:42 PM
Hey Playgrounders,

So I have the opportunity to grab an improved familiar for my Warlock (Clawlock with a scouty build).

Alignment is CN.

I was looking at Quasit or Earth Mephit

I'd like something that would be able to follow me into battle and help out with UMD checks.

I've never run a familiar before so I'm not sure which would be more beneficial. I like Mephits for better CHA and what looks to be better combat but I've also heard that Imps are one of the best improved familiars but their Alignment doesn't mesh with mine. Quasit as an Imp substitution.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks much,

Blood~

Crake
2014-07-20, 07:21 PM
Quasits and Imps are pretty much interchangable. Having some neat benefits such as poison that you can harvest to apply to your weapons, invisibility (self only) at will to scout, and the ability to appear as a mundane creature for times when you're in populated areas, they make for some pretty boss familiars. Oh, and of course, dont forget about the commune, 6 questions a week. That one can make your DM cry if he's not ready for it.

Bloodgruve
2014-07-20, 09:51 PM
When a Quasit uses Alternate Form does what does it lose/gain compared to its normal form? Stats, Flight, Attack, etc...?

Rijan_Sai
2014-07-21, 01:30 PM
When a Quasit uses Alternate Form does what does it lose/gain compared to its normal form? Stats, Flight, Attack, etc...?

Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm)

So, it would lose it's claws, bite, poison and it's fly speed, gaining the natural attacks and (Ex) movement modes of the new form; it would keep it's (Sp) and (Su) abilities;

Those are the main ones...the rest you should be able to easily figure out from the AF description.

Bloodgruve
2014-07-21, 01:45 PM
Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm)

So, it would lose it's claws, bite, poison and it's fly speed, gaining the natural attacks and (Ex) movement modes of the new form; it would keep it's (Sp) and (Su) abilities;

Those are the main ones...the rest you should be able to easily figure out from the AF description.

TYVM, I thought I had seen that somewhere.

Blood~

newsman77
2014-07-21, 02:33 PM
Hey Playgrounders,

So I have the opportunity to grab an improved familiar for my Warlock (Clawlock with a scouty build).

Alignment is CN.

What does your build look like? I'm curious because I'm also playing a Clawlock in a game.

Bloodgruve
2014-07-21, 05:55 PM
What does your build look like? I'm curious because I'm also playing a Clawlock in a game.

Human Rogue1/Clawlock7 so far. Setup with a scouty build. Concentrated on Str, Con and Int.

Feats are Eldritch Claws, Able Learner, Intimidating Strike (w/Never Outnumbered) and Improved Natural Attack, 1 Flaw. Gonna switch out Intimidating Strike and grab another flaw for Obtain and Improved Familiar. 9th level will prolly be Extra Invocation.

Invocations are See the Unseen, All Seeing Eyes, Baleful Utterance and Fell Flight. Next Invocation will probably be The Dead Walk for some versatility.

My spot and search are +16ish and will be more with Aleartness and Aid Another with a familiar.

So far I've grabbed an Anklet of Translocation, Wand of Alter Self, Wand of Vigor and Healing Belt among a couple other things.

I really love the build but have gotten no use out of Intimidating Strike so I'm dropping it.

Our group is restricted to books the DM owns so Hellfire is out of the questiong which is OK because most of the others in the group are not terribly optimized.