PDA

View Full Version : Cleric lost...

m149307
2014-07-20, 08:00 PM
is there a spell that can tell me where the nearest civilization is? Or what general direction to go in to get to more people?

atomicwaffle
2014-07-20, 08:08 PM
as a rule of thumb, look for bodies of water (lakes rivers oceans). Follow one and you'll find SOMEONE EVENTUALLY. Other than that, you have tremorsense and Know direction.

As a cleric though, use that augury! "Will heading east get me closer to a community?"

Red Fel
2014-07-20, 08:10 PM
The good news: The spell Locate City (from Races of Destiny) is a first-level spell that does exactly what you're describing.

The bad news: It's an arcane (and Ranger) spell.

The good news: There is another spell, Find the Path (PHB), a sixth-level that can guide you to your goal.

The bad news: You need to know where you're going. Admittedly, "the nearest city" might work as a destination.

Happy hunting.

holywhippet
2014-07-20, 08:42 PM
As a cleric though, use that augury! "Will heading east get me closer to a community?"

Augury might not work due to it involving dice rolls and it can only see about 1/2 an hour into the future. You'd want to use the stronger version, divination.

You could also try the spell helping hand and hope someone who can help is within range.

JusticeZero
2014-07-20, 08:45 PM
Beyond that, the Elan Technique should apply, or a generic request to the gods. That is, if you can't pray to the DM for a hint, then traveling as fortune would take you and asking every random encounter should work.

paperarmor
2014-07-20, 09:14 PM
could also summon up a flying critter to take you scouting just be sure to track the duration.

atomicwaffle
2014-07-20, 09:15 PM
Augury might not work due to it involving dice rolls and it can only see about 1/2 an hour into the future. You'd want to use the stronger version, divination.

You could also try the spell helping hand and hope someone who can help is within range.

yes, but if you walk for half an hour it can tell you if you are closer to civilization or not. Notice the wording (have cast a few auguries in my day). Because some clerics aren't high enough level to have divination:smallwink:

Arbane
2014-07-20, 10:01 PM
Locate Object might help. Look for 'roads'.

holywhippet
2014-07-20, 10:05 PM
yes, but if you walk for half an hour it can tell you if you are closer to civilization or not. Notice the wording (have cast a few auguries in my day). Because some clerics aren't high enough level to have divination:smallwink:

That could be misleading though. Odds are there is a population centre in every direction so if I walk east for half an hour I might be closer to a city. But that city might be 1000 miles away while there is a town to the west just 50 miles away.

Yeah, I knew it was a level 4 spell but the OP didn't specify their level. I'm not sure what level I'd expect a DM to allow the PCs to be lost in the wilderness.

m149307
2014-07-21, 02:34 AM
Sorry, shoulda specified that I am a level 8. And am CL 6

Sith_Happens
2014-07-21, 03:59 AM
1. Cast Create Lantern Archon (Champions of Valor).

2. Get in the bag.

3. Request to the Lantern Archon that it Greater Teleport the bag (containing you) to the locale of your choice.
1. Cast Create Lantern Archon (Champions of Valor).

2. Request to the Lantern Archon that it Greater Teleport to "the nearest humanoid settlement" and then to "the closest spot from which I could fire a Light Ray at my creator."

3. Start walking in the direction of the archon.

4. Use Divine Insight (Spell Compendium) to pass all future Survival checks to avoid getting lost.

nedz
2014-07-21, 04:08 AM
Can you not just use Divination ?

Sith_Happens
2014-07-21, 04:23 AM
Can you not just use Divination ?

Not high enough level (or rather, would be, but multiclassed).

nedz
2014-07-21, 05:23 AM
You might be able to do this with Circle Dance (SpC), but you would need to know a specific creature to search for.

You can do it with Augury, though patience may be required as you can get a new bearing every day. Some will be wrong so you could end up going around in circles for a while.

Lore of the Gods (Complete Champion p124) will allow you to make a Knowledge Geography check at +5, even if untrained. Wieldskill (Magic of Faerūn p134) might help also — if available.

Firest Kathon
2014-07-21, 06:19 AM
The spell compendium also has the spell "Find Temple", which points you to the nearest place of worship of your god. Unfortunately it's for Paladins only, but maybe you have a way to access it.

Fitz10019
2014-07-21, 01:10 PM
Cast Helping Hand: Elf (or merchant, or musician, or 'humanoid carrying a bow')

Locate Object might help. Look for 'roads'.

That's a good idea, or signpost, as a tweak. Other Locate Object targets: elf-made bow (or merchant scales, or musical instrument, or sheet music)