PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Level 9: Need Multitasking

Snowbluff
2014-07-20, 08:10 PM
I have the arms and I can get the natural attacks. I just need to be able to get 2 feats at level 9, since Imp Multiweapons needs 9 BAB? Test of Spite-style arena. Whatcha got? :smallsmile:

Urpriest
2014-07-20, 10:58 PM
Imp Multiweapon substitutes for Imp TWF automatically, so picking up Imp TWF would work. Can you fit in a Fighter level at level 9?

Darrin
2014-07-21, 08:18 AM
Well, I'd argue Gloves of the Balanced Hand gives you Improved MWF if you have TWF/MWF and three or more hands. Likewise, Ranger 2/Ranger 6 should probably give you MWF and Improved MWF.

Fangshield Ranger 2 (Champions of Valor) can give you Multiattack.

Multi-Headed template adds 2 racial HD but gives you Superior Multi-Weapon Fighting (Ex): ignore all penalties on attack rolls with multiple weapons. Due to the wonky way this is worded, this could mean all your manufactured and natural weapons attack as if they were primary weapons (no secondary penalty, full Str bonus on damage).

Two-headed insectile anthropomorphic giant octopus... I shall call him "Cuddles".

Snowbluff
2014-07-21, 12:51 PM
I was considering Anthropomorphic Octopi with my insectile critter. I think people would cry foul, though. :smalltongue:

Multiweapon penalties don't apply in this case, I think.

Imp Multiweapon substitutes for Imp TWF automatically, so picking up Imp TWF would work. Can you fit in a Fighter level at level 9?

Oh, is that how it is supposed to work? Weird, but I had an inkling. The gloves shouldn't work, though.

Right now the buid in my head is Duskblade 4/Crusader5. I might do 3 levels of JPM. I'll activate combination of Strikes and channeled spells for my standard actions. I'll have 6 wand chambers, and I'll combine my Eternal Wand access (Arcane Spellcasting), and wand use (Duskblade list).

Wands are spell trigger, so I think I can still only use 1 at a time. I only have one mouth... for now. :smallwink:

Darrin
2014-07-21, 02:01 PM
Oh, is that how it is supposed to work?

It's... not entirely clear. The relavent text from Savage Species: "Special: This feat replaces the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms."

What I *think* this means is that if you have a creature with three or more arms, and they take TWF/Improved TWF or get it as a bonus feat, then you just replace TWF/Improved TWF with the appropriate MWF feat. That's somewhat problematic because the prereqs for Improved MWF (Dex 15, three arms, BAB +9, Multidexterity, MWF) are substantially different from Improved TWF (Dex 17, TWF, BAB +6).

Savage Species is a 3.25 book, so it has sort of a mix between 3.0 and 3.5 content. The Improved MWF prereqs are more or less identical to the 3.0 version of Improved TWF. In 3.5, Ambidexterity was folded into TWF, so it no longer exists as a feat. Multidexterity is the "I have three or more hands" version, but it likewise doesn't exist in 3.5. This most likely falls under the "minor revisions" clause on page 4 of the 3.5 DMG: Fold Multidexterity into Multi-Weapon Fighting, and update the Improved/Greater MWF prereqs to match the 3.5 Improved/Greater TWF requirements. Based on the "this feat replaces" text, you just swap in the relevant MWF feat whenever a creature with three or more hands acquires one of the TWF feats.

I'm not sure how MWF interracts with other TWF feats, such as Oversize TWF. What I'd recommend is just treat TWF/MWF as a single feat that has two different names based on how many hands the creature has. If a creature with MWF takes Oversize TWF, just treat MWF = TWF for all purposes.

Snowbluff
2014-07-21, 02:12 PM
Were the MWF fighting feats present in the 3.5 books? :smallconfused:

Darrin
2014-07-21, 02:19 PM
Were the MWF fighting feats present in the 3.5 books? :smallconfused:

The 3.5 version of MWF is in the 3.5 Monster Manual. Improved MWF and Greater MWF only appear in Savage Species. Savage Species was printed in January 2003, and the 3.5 PHB was printed in July 2003. So technically Savage Species is a 3.0 book. Any content in there that wasn't specifically updated or replaced by a subsequent book is still legal for 3.5 games with "minor adjustments" as per the 3.5 DMG.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-21, 02:25 PM
Moderate taint (HoH) gets you a bonus feat that can show up at any level.

Improved MWF is in Savage Species, Deities and Demigods, and the Epic Level Handbook. Note that officially, any 3.0 material is still legal in 3.5 games, provided there's not also a 3.5 version of the class/feat/race/item/etc. you're using from 3.0.

Snowbluff
2014-07-21, 03:04 PM
I just wanted to see if Imp MWF was changed. I knew the stuff about 3.0 and 3.5. :smalltongue: