PDA

View Full Version : So What IS It With Monks, UMD, and Wands?

CrazyYanmega
2014-07-20, 09:22 PM
I've heard talk about it, but I just can't seem to find anything. Do you flurry with wand activations or something? Or do you punch things with the wands?

Also, Happy Monk Day, everyone.

eggynack
2014-07-20, 09:30 PM
Generally, when wands, especially partially charged wands, are discussed in reference to monks, it is a reference to Sir Giacomo's monk handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?80704-Beating-Batman-Sir-Giacomo-s-Guide-to-Monks), and it is usually being referred to in order to be derisive towards whatever idea is being put forth. Usually, this is because the optimization idea being proposed doesn't make use of any of the abilities of the class, and instead is using only resources that any commoner could make use of.

Curmudgeon
2014-07-20, 09:57 PM
Usually, this is because the optimization idea being proposed doesn't make use of any of the abilities of the class, and instead is using only resources that any commoner could make use of.
To be fair, a Commoner has only 2 + INT mod skill points/level, and a Monk has 4 + INT mod. So there's at least a smidgen of value in the idea because of those extra skill points. (And, of course, taking Apprentice (spellcaster) will make UMD a class skill for anybody.) But yeah, apart from that smidgen of rationale, it's not synergistic with class features.

Vhaidara
2014-07-20, 10:03 PM
Let me put it this way...you spend your WBL pretending to be a wizard. Semi-reliably, depending on your level. And at much greater cost.

Kaeso
2014-07-21, 03:04 AM
UMD is probably the best thing about being a monk, and other classes still do it better.

Lans
2014-07-21, 03:27 AM
Generally, when wands, especially partially charged wands, are discussed in reference to monks, it is a reference to Sir Giacomo's monk handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?80704-Beating-Batman-Sir-Giacomo-s-Guide-to-Monks), and it is usually being referred to in order to be derisive towards whatever idea is being put forth. Usually, this is because the optimization idea being proposed doesn't make use of any of the abilities of the class, and instead is using only resources that any commoner could make use of.

Rarely there is a set of ACFs that gives the monk skill focus UMD, +1/2 level to UMD, and something else