PDA

View Full Version : Best tricks for a Wizard, a StP Erudite, or an Int-based Divine Caster to be a sensor

aleucard
2014-07-20, 10:00 PM
Exactly what it says in the title. Rules are as follows;

1) Everything must be Official material for 3.5, save for Tome of Battle. Dragon Magazine is allowed, but regional/clan feats aren't unless Changelings can qualify (see below)

2) If it's not available to a Changeling by some method, it's not available.

3) This will be a Monk Gish (2 level dip, Able Learner so I can make use of some monk class skills) with a focus on being able to complete any mission put in front of him (though being the party tank isn't in the cards without massive buffs in place); if your suggestion helps for this aside from that, then I'll appreciate even more.

4) He WILL be LG, maybe NG at most depending on if my DM would let me continue getting benefit from things like Carmendine Monk and the various Tashalatora clone feats, which means things normally locked to other alignments may or may not be allowed. I'll have to talk to my DM if some of them can be ignored (like Mindbender when the only thing I'm going there for is alignment-neutral and doesn't need me to put any iffy abilities on my sheet to get it), but I'm not holding my breath.

5) Unless if it progresses whichever casting that I am using, nothing from Incarnum appeals. I'd rather minimize the amount of complexity that involves my character, and including yet another system of doing things to my character doesn't appeal unless if I get things that I'd want regardless.

6) The earlier that your suggestion comes online, the better.

7) ANY method of improving my sensory capabilities would be appreciated, but the more comprehensive the better (especially if it can be used in place of vision for everything but reading and painting).

Thanks for the assistance!

EDIT: Forgot one.

8) The race IS Changeling. If you got something that'll let me register as another race for taking Feats or Prestige Classes (or something lesser for things like items and spell effects), I'm all ears.

heavyfuel
2014-07-20, 10:10 PM
You can become a master of sensory by dipping Mindbender and getting the Mindsight feat. Very few things are immune to Mindsight, not even Darkstalker is immune to it. Pretty muh all you need is have 5 caster/manifester levels.

aleucard
2014-07-20, 10:13 PM
You can become a master of sensory by dipping Mindbender and getting the Mindsight feat. Very few things are immune to Mindsight, not even Darkstalker is immune to it. Pretty muh all you need is have 5 caster/manifester levels.

If you read #4, you'd know that I already know about this one. Got anything that isn't alignment-locked from a LG/NG character?

dextercorvia
2014-07-20, 10:27 PM
Re #8: Racial Emulation (Races of Eberron) -- This will let you count as the race you are disguising as. So, feel free to take the Halfling Monk level 1, and the Elven Generalist Wizard 1, etc.

heavyfuel
2014-07-20, 10:33 PM
If you read #4, you'd know that I already know about this one. Got anything that isn't alignment-locked from a LG/NG character?

Yeah, I didn't understand #4 correctly. If that's a problem, there are divinations that help with your sensory abilities. You can check a comprehensive list of them here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1152481

aleucard
2014-07-21, 03:53 PM
Re #8: Racial Emulation (Races of Eberron) -- This will let you count as the race you are disguising as. So, feel free to take the Halfling Monk level 1, and the Elven Generalist Wizard 1, etc.

While VERY interesting, I'd like to see some things that directly relate to this that can be done with that.

If I go Wizard, I'll probably get Spontaneous Divination. I may go Unseen Seer if I go with the Halfling Monk Substitution, too. I'm defaulting to Decisive Strike if I don't find anything else that appeals, though.

At the moment, one of my main thoughts is getting Mindsight without Mindbender. Tremorsense has a feat that can go to 10' or 20' on soft surfaces, Blindsight has that 30k weapon upgrade, Blindsense has the Glaring Eye graft (and I'll be looking for other grafts that may be useful), but straight-up Telepathy to get Mindsight seems to be no dice outside of Incarnum, and I don't have that book. If there were listings for the relevant items somewhere, I'd use those. Crystal Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d) might work, but that's Psionic-exclusive and I want as many bases covered as possible. It'll help if I can convince my DM to drop the Non-Good Alignment restriction on Mindbender since I'm not even going to put anything morally-questionable from that class on my sheet, but I won't hold my breath.