PDA

View Full Version : Stats for RKV

m149307
2014-07-21, 02:46 AM
Ok, so I am doing the sterotypical Human Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Rkv (3 in this case). I am wondering which stats I need and which ones can be dumped. I am playing with a 30 point buy (everything below 18 costs 1 point). Any help please?

sideswipe
2014-07-21, 07:01 AM
Ok, so I am doing the sterotypical Human Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Rkv (3 in this case). I am wondering which stats I need and which ones can be dumped. I am playing with a 30 point buy (everything below 18 costs 1 point). Any help please?

since your using a homebrew point buy we need more info. state the start number and i see it is 1 point per spend until 17, what does 18 cost from 17? can you go over 18?

thats a start.

Firechanter
2014-07-21, 07:27 AM
Independent from your homebrew point buy, RKV is a powerful class but also MAD as hell. The only thing you could dump is Int, with the usual implications of not getting to make use of your skills.

Str: as high as you can afford
Dex: you'll probably want at least 14 to get Combat Reflexes and AoOs, at least if you take the best stance you can get, Thicket of Blades
Con: important for everyone
Int: skills
Wis: your primary stat
Cha: this fuels your best class abilities, Divine Recovery and (later) Divine Impetus

Wacky89
2014-07-21, 11:52 AM
Str: 14
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 12

m149307
2014-07-21, 12:46 PM
Ok, so we start at 8. 9-18 costs 1 point. 18+ (meaning every point beyond 18) costs two.

Wacky89
2014-07-21, 01:59 PM
Ok, so we start at 8. 9-18 costs 1 point. 18+ (meaning every point beyond 18) costs two.

so if you used all your points you could start with 28 in a stat? that is crazy.

Wacky89
2014-07-21, 02:05 PM
hmm if you're allowed to take Lost Tradition from Bastards and Bloodlines you could use Charisma for your cleric spells pr day and dc.

Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 18

Race: Magic Blooded Lesser Aasimar
+4 cha total

Cha: 22

m149307
2014-07-21, 02:15 PM
hmm if you're allowed to take Lost Tradition from Bastards and Bloodlines you could use Charisma for your cleric spells pr day and dc.

Cha: 18

Race: Magic Blooded Lesser Aasimar
+4 cha total

Cha: 22

and if I did a Human with Full Plate (max dex +1)? I am going for that extra feat since i need it.

Rebel7284
2014-07-21, 02:47 PM
Is LA buyoff allowed in your game? Something like the draconic template for +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Cha would be super useful for someone reliant on so many stats.

I have to agree with Wacky's distribution regardless of template availability.

m149307
2014-07-21, 04:28 PM
Don't I need wisdom for spells since I am not taking a template? And no LA buyoff, unfortunately.

Aegis013
2014-07-21, 04:36 PM
Don't I need wisdom for spells since I am not taking a template? And no LA buyoff, unfortunately.

That Lost Traditions feat from the third party source mentioned would make your casting based on Charisma instead.
Edit: It'd be reasonable to ask for it, but I wouldn't expect a definite "yes".

Firechanter
2014-07-21, 04:37 PM
He's suggesting a Feat that changes your casting stat to Cha.

Dex 14 might still be worth it; depends on what Stance you want to use. As I said above, the best stance is Thicket of Blades and that one practically requires Combat Reflexes. If you want to go for any other stance, you can reduce Dex.

m149307
2014-07-21, 04:58 PM
Ok, so take Lost traditions to be able to have two dump stats. And should I focus on the casting part of my build, or on the crusader part? (This might be going slightly off topic) I have as of right now 6 feats. For level 1 I will be taking Lost Traditions and Mercantile Background... so 4 open feats left. Fill them with spellcaster feats like Extend/DMM, or go Combat reflexes/ crusader stuff?

Aegis013
2014-07-21, 05:12 PM
Ok, so take Lost traditions to be able to have two dump stats. And should I focus on the casting part of my build, or on the crusader part? (This might be going slightly off topic) I have as of right now 6 feats. For level 1 I will be taking Lost Traditions and Mercantile Background... so 4 open feats left. Fill them with spellcaster feats like Extend/DMM, or go Combat reflexes/ crusader stuff?

I recommend you ask your DM if Lost Traditions would be allowed before simply assuming you can take it.

As far as if you want to be a Spellcaster with martial abilities or a Face-smasher with casting abilities that's a style choice only you can really decide on.
If you want to focus on smashing faces, Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell is one of the most potent approaches, it can make you into an extremely powerful melee combatant.

Otherwise, Divine Metamagic Quicken Spell can be useful, especially in tandem with Divine Impetus. Quicken spell limits you to one quickened spell/round, but you can still get it off and use another swift action for a boost or magic item or otherwise, allowing you to sling spells while being a solid melee combatant.

m149307
2014-07-21, 05:25 PM
My DM approved the feat, so it's cool. Also, I think I would prefer to be a facesmasher lol. I figure DMM Extend Divine Power and Righteous Might for a huge bonus to Str. So should I make my dex higher so that I can get multiple AoO as well as increase my Cha for turns?

Aegis013
2014-07-21, 05:38 PM
Depends on the style of face-smasher you want. With the number of feats you're already investing into other things, taking the lockdown approach is still possible, but it won't come to full fruition until later.

With only two feats left to take, and already having Mercantile Background, Lost Traditions, Extend Spell, and it appears you're taking Divine Metamagic: Extend Spell (which I would advise against unless DMM: Persistent Spell is too powerful for your group) you'll have to decide which style of combatant you'd prefer to be.

For Lock-down style build you're looking at wanting these kinds of feats with a reach weapon (Guisarme is a good choice) and armor spikes to threaten adjacent squares:
Combat Expertise (prereq for Improved Trip)
Improved Trip
Combat Reflexes
Knock-Down
Standstill

For a Face-smasher style build you're looking for these kinds of feats:
Power Attack
Shocktrooper (requires Improved Bullrush)
Leap Attack
Maybe Knowledge Devotion, (especially if you opt to go Cloistered Cleric as you can swap Knowledge Domain for it)

For a unkillable self-healing war machine style build you might consider these feats:
Stone Power
Shards of Granite
maybe Shape Soulmeld: Therapeutic Mantle (ask your DM if maneuver levels would count like spell levels for this), especially if you can get some essentia to invest in it.

You'll probably want to consider these regardless of style:
Extra Granted Maneuver (basically a must-have for Crusaders)
Extra Turning

If you want to use Full Plate and not use a lock-down style build, it's reasonably not to worry about AoOs, keep your Dex at 12 or whatever you'll get benefit from and move the points elsewhere.

Kennisiou
2014-07-21, 05:42 PM
Go with DMM: Persist, not DMM: Extend. Extending a spell is just +1 metamagic, if you want to extend something don't use that feat to make it free: there are better ways to metamagic reduce for small metamagic numbers. A metamagic rod of extend is a solid option.

Persistent Spell, on the other hand... +6 level for a spell that lasts all day. DMM Persist is totally worth it there. 7 turning attempts to persist one spell versus 8 turning attempts to cast divine power four times and extend it each time in four separate encounters.