PDA

View Full Version : How to shape bone

Cenric
2014-07-21, 11:12 AM
So in my current evil campaign I'm looking to pick up Dark Speech from BoVD to have fun with. My DM Says its fine but I have to find a way to RP my way to being able to speak the language. My first thought jumped to a movie I bumped into a while back, Book of Vile Darkness (Super Creative Right? :smallwink:). Anyway the premise was that someone made the book of vile darkness in game using skin for paper, blood for ink and bones for the cover, but I don't really see how you can shape bones into a book cover. Is there a spell for this, or something else?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-21, 11:22 AM
Craft (Bonecarving) should honestly get the job done. You should be able to make flat planks of bone using basic woodworking joints. Also a lot of glues are made from bones, and even here in the real world we can get bones to fuse together, during certain spinal surgeries for example.

Mind you, we do that while the bones' owner is still alive, but... well, considering what the book is I don't think that's a deal-breaker. ._.;

That said, Fabricate could probably make it one smooth piece if you'd prefer something quick. Or look into the Osteomancer class. :smallcool:

Rubik
2014-07-21, 12:36 PM
Fabricate.

Also, leather is "skin," so anything made from leather consists of skin. It's creepy, but only if you actually think about it.

Bullet06320
2014-07-21, 02:47 PM
Fabricate.

Also, leather is "skin," so anything made from leather consists of skin. It's creepy, but only if you actually think about it.

that makes me look at my bambi skin boots in a whole new light now

Rubik
2014-07-21, 02:49 PM
Just stop and think about what could potentially be done with enemy corpses and that spell.

Two words: Meat Trees.

Coidzor
2014-07-21, 03:10 PM
So in my current evil campaign I'm looking to pick up Dark Speech from BoVD to have fun with. My DM Says its fine but I have to find a way to RP my way to being able to speak the language. My first thought jumped to a movie I bumped into a while back, Book of Vile Darkness (Super Creative Right? :smallwink:). Anyway the premise was that someone made the book of vile darkness in game using skin for paper, blood for ink and bones for the cover, but I don't really see how you can shape bones into a book cover. Is there a spell for this, or something else?

Big ol' pelvic bones of some suitably large skeleton'd creature, I'd imagine. Maybe shoulder blades. Or it could be made out of several strips of bone, such as from several femurs. Or, y'know, magically melding the bones into one shape without carving.

There's a process like that if you have Flesh Colossi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/colossus.htm#fleshColossus)(Colossuses?) as a thing.

khadgar567
2014-07-23, 09:01 AM
just small idea from wiki http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Bone_Shape_(3.5e_Spell) so you can basicly shape his/her bone to book shape via spell

atomicwaffle
2014-07-23, 09:31 AM
don't forget shoulder plates and hips. Those can be shaped. Also, depending on the type of animal there are a wide variety of bone shapes available.

Mind you if i were to make a book cover out of bone it would be interlocking fingers.

Talothorn
2014-07-23, 08:53 PM
Real world chemistry:
Soak them in acid (cola works) to dissolve the calcium. Shape, dry, glue, and layer. Soak in a solution of calcium to re harden.