PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [PF] Custom Cavalier Order, too OP?

ArqArturo
2014-07-21, 01:32 PM
I'm probably running a Pathfinder game soon, and a friend wants to use a Cavalier that fights undead. This presents an opportunity to present him with a custom order I did for my campaign world, and I'd like to see if it needs some work.

The Knightly Order of the Blessed Rest

Founded by the prieshthood of Balador (My campaign world's god of the dead), their code to destroy undead has put them at odds with other organizations and individuals, especially with wizards and witches, but they have been witnesses of the horrors of undeath, and such is their drive to destroy them, that they will stop at nothing to achieve this goal. During the Spell-Void, with no undead to fight, the Order focused their attention to fight bandits, cultists and to help communities grow and develop. They still do these functions, but with the reappearance of the undead, their returning enemies take priority.

Edicts: The Cavalier must always fight the undead he encounters, for their presence is an affront to the Silent Lord. Also, the weak must be defended from the strong, and order must prevail where chaos thrives. Lastly, truth must always come out of you, for lies are the tools of the undead.

Challenge: An order of the blessed rest cavalier gains a sacred bonus against spells and abilities from the Necromancy school. This bonus is equal to half his cavalier level (minimum 1).

Skills: An order of the blessed rest cavalier adds Knowledge (Arcane), and Knowledge (Religion) to his class lists.
Order Abilities: A cavalier belonging on the order of the blessed rest gains the following abilities as he increases in level:

And you shall know no fear: At 2nd level, a Knight may reroll a failed Will saving throw once per day; if this is a fear effect, he gains a +2 bonus to this second will save. He must use the second save, even if it’s worse than the first.

Font of Life: At 8th level, the oath gives the cavalier the strength he needs to resist the effects of necromantic magic. The Cavalier cannot be created into an undead, nor can his body be used to create golems, also he gains a +2 on all saves against spells with the Evil description, and spell-like, supernatural, and extraordinary abilities of undead creatures. However, the cavalier cannot be brought to life via spells like Raise Dead or Reincarnate. Only a Wish or Miracle spell can do so.

Fire of Life: At 15th level, the cavalier can meditate and pray to steel himself from the chilling touch of Death. Once per day as a standard action, he is immune to energy drain and any negative energy effects, including channeled negative energy. This ability works as the spell Death Ward, and if the spell is cast on the cavalier, this ability ends immediately. Treat the cavalier’s level as the caster level for all purposes of this ability.

Killer Angel
2014-07-21, 01:44 PM
It's not OP at all, and I'd say it's weaker than other orders.

ArqArturo
2014-07-21, 03:59 PM
Hmm, any thoughts on how to make it more competent?.

grarrrg
2014-07-21, 08:17 PM
Challenge: An order of the blessed rest cavalier gains a sacred bonus against spells and abilities from the Necromancy school. This bonus is equal to half his cavalier level (minimum 1).

"Challenge" abilities only trigger vs. the target of your challenge.

And you shall know no fear: At 2nd level, a Knight may reroll a failed Will saving throw once per day; if this is a fear effect, he gains a +2 bonus to this second will save. He must use the second save, even if it’s worse than the first.

Decent enough.

Font of Life: At 8th level, the oath gives the cavalier the strength he needs to resist the effects of necromantic magic. The Cavalier cannot be created into an undead, nor can his body be used to create golems, also he gains a +2 on all saves against spells with the Evil description, and spell-like, supernatural, and extraordinary abilities of undead creatures. However, the cavalier cannot be brought to life via spells like Raise Dead or Reincarnate. Only a Wish or Miracle spell can do so.

This one seems pretty weak, especially because the "cannot be made into undead" bonus is fairly worthless for most games, and the "cannot be ress'd" could be a huge pain in the behind.
I get the flavor of "It's a death god, when you are dead you are dead" but the "Can use Wish to override" seems like flipping your god the bird. I'd remove the "cannot be ress'd" part.
List the "+2 all saves" part first, as that will be the most useful part of this ability.
Lastly, rename it "Peaceful Rest" or similar, as "Font of Life" implies it cures wounds or something.

Fire of Life: At 15th level, the cavalier can meditate and pray to steel himself from the chilling touch of Death. Once per day as a standard action, he is immune to energy drain and any negative energy effects, including channeled negative energy. This ability works as the spell Death Ward, and if the spell is cast on the cavalier, this ability ends immediately. Treat the cavalier’s level as the caster level for all purposes of this ability.

Much too wordy.
"The Cavalier can cast Death Ward as a Spell-Like ability once per day, using his Cavalier level as his Caster level."
As this is a 15th level ability that only works 1/day I'd even go so far as to add "he may do this as a Swift Action" (or even Immediate Action).

Last thoughts: Too many of the abilities give Save Bonuses: the Challenge, the 2nd, and the 8th.
Possibly switch out the 2nd or 8th and give "Favored Enemy: Undead" instead.

facelessminion
2014-07-21, 08:28 PM
At the very least, you need to get rid of the resurrection penalty. There's not nearly enough power in the archetype you're making to require a penalty.