PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Immortality Via Ice Assassin

Kazudo
2014-07-21, 04:48 PM
So this happened in a different thread:

Hide Life + Ice Assassin of self + Order Ice Assassin to cast Kissed by the Ages on you.

Congrats, you are now immune to death. Do it using Soul Crystals from a Psion who has gotten the spells as powers and there is literally no way in the entire game to kill you short of time-traveling to before you use the powers.

Can someone explain to me exactly how this works? I get that you Hide Life yourself into like a finger, hack it off and use it to make an Ice Assassin of yourself, but the rest I don't get. Halp!

Hazrond
2014-07-21, 04:53 PM

Can someone explain to me exactly how this works? I get that you Hide Life yourself into like a finger, hack it off and use it to make an Ice Assassin of yourself, but the rest I don't get. Halp!

Kissed by the Ages makes you immune to aging but if i remember correctly it also requires an XP cost as well as a costly component to be made into a sort of time phylactery for you

Edit: i also believe it can only be cast by another person, the reason for needing a ice assassin besides avoiding XP loss

Emperor Tippy
2014-07-21, 06:30 PM

You can't target yourself with Kissed by the Ages. So just make a copy of yourself and have it target you to get around that little problem.

Kazudo
2014-07-21, 06:36 PM
That makes boatloads of sense.

What's Kissed by Ages do again? It's a Dragon Magazine spell so I naturally am not well versed in it.

Karnith
2014-07-21, 06:46 PM
What's Kissed by Ages do again? It's a Dragon Magazine spell so I naturally am not well versed in it.
It strips a magic item of its normal properties and makes the target creature gain the Endless special quality (essentially, you stop aging) for as long as the character possesses the item.

The full description is in Dragon Magazine #354, on page 54.

icefractal
2014-07-21, 08:15 PM
I feel like I'm still missing something. Ok, so Hide Life means you don't die - unless the finger is destroyed. Using it in an Ice Assassin would seem to either:
A) Destroy it, it's a Material component.
B) Have it be inside the Ice Assassin, so destroyable once that's shattered.

I have a feeling the answer has something to do with Kissed by the Ages providing more than age immortality, but the description mentioned here doesn't really explain it.

Also, why does adding Psion to the equation change anything?

Dalebert
2014-07-21, 08:28 PM
Are you saying 3.5 has horcruxes?

Kazyan
2014-07-21, 08:33 PM

Spell converted to powers via StP Erudite don't have focuses or material components, even if the original spell did; the whole thing just costs more power points. To get rid of someone with Hide Life, you have to destroy the hidden body part...which doesn't actually exist if you got it from the Psion (who got it from the Erudite through Psychic Chirurgery). Similar situation with the Kissed By The Ages focus. Soul Crystal is a sort of psionic scroll that anyone can use, so you can use these powers.

Emperor Tippy
2014-07-21, 08:57 PM
I feel like I'm still missing something. Ok, so Hide Life means you don't die - unless the finger is destroyed. Using it in an Ice Assassin would seem to either:
A) Destroy it, it's a Material component.
B) Have it be inside the Ice Assassin, so destroyable once that's shattered.

I have a feeling the answer has something to do with Kissed by the Ages providing more than age immortality, but the description mentioned here doesn't really explain it.

Step 1: Cast Hide Life on yourself.
Step 2: Cast Ice Assassin on yourself to get a copy.
Step 3: Order your Ice Assassin to cast Kissed by the Ages on you as you can't cast it directly on yourself.

If you do it as psionic powers then there exists absolutely no way in the entire game to kill you without involving time travel to before you became fully immortal.

Cenric
2014-07-21, 10:01 PM
Ah ha! I think I figured it out!

Since you can StP Erudite to remove the component -

Material Component: A small sickle made of the purest silver, which you use to detach the body part to be stored.

you never actually remove a body part so there is no phylactery/horcrux to destroy. Then because of Hide life you gives zero cares when you drop to negative infinity hp. The kissed by the ages seems just so you don't die of age.

But Tippy, i think i found a theoretical problem....
What happens if the wizard gets his con drained to zero? Wouldn't he still die?

Hazrond
2014-07-21, 10:07 PM
Ah ha! I think I figured it out!

Since you can StP Erudite to remove the component -

you never actually remove a body part so there is no phylactery/horcrux to destroy. Then because of Hide life you gives zero cares when you drop to negative infinity hp. The kissed by the ages seems just so you don't die of age.

But Tippy, i think i found a theoretical problem....
What happens if the wizard gets his con drained to zero? Wouldn't he still die?

i think that the spell specifically states you cant die while its in effect, (hide life i mean)

CIDE
2014-07-21, 10:27 PM
There's also a feat that does the exact same thing from the sage issue of Dragon Magazine. Wedded to History.

Leviting
2014-07-21, 10:30 PM
Are you saying 3.5 has horcruxes?

yes, and if you are an erudite, the horcrux is imaginary, so that the non-immortal hero will die of old age before he finds a way to kill you, because there isn't any.

EDIT: mixed up psion and erudite.

Sith_Happens
2014-07-22, 12:41 AM
My problem is, whenever I look at Hide Life, I see the "staggered and unhealable forever" bit and wonder who in their right mind wouldn't use Stasis Clone and/or Contingent Revivify instead.