PDA

View Full Version : DM Help New Game, Old Plyers; Headaches

GutterFace
2014-07-21, 08:28 PM
So this is going to be a jumble of a few questions i can't answer and would like some assistance.
ill try and keep it organized and somewhat coherent. I dont have all the books so i cant get concrete answers from memory....
and possibly a little advice may be needed along the way. Again thank you all, in advance.

Symbionts (field folio and magic of eberron): how many can you have? as many as you com in contact with (as long as there is not more than 1 per slot)?
if the back story is good and they want to play a nonsense tier 4+ should i allow this? im talking like they want a bunch.....
examples: breed leech, psionic sinew, living breastplate, storm stalk, tentacle whip......you get the idea....

Someone wants to get to Hellreaver.....i dont know much about them.....it's not cheese filled with nonsense?
do the Holy Fury points reset after every encounter like Inspiration points?

good lord.....would anyone actually let someone play a Soul Eater? is letting one into the party asking for much hair pulling on my part.

as a note, we never get very far.....every campaign we do starts at like level 5 and eventually dies after 8 levels or so....

Naberius save me!

Vendarien
2014-07-22, 01:20 AM
I believe you can have as many as you have places to attach them but each one drains a stat and each one vies for control of the host like an intelligent item dose so it gets pretty weird. a DAELKYR HALF-BLOOD race would help with this a bit.

Hellreaver- never used but yes you get new points at the start of an encounter and they go away at the end of the encounter.

Hazrond
2014-07-22, 01:32 AM
So this is going to be a jumble of a few questions i can't answer and would like some assistance.
ill try and keep it organized and somewhat coherent. I dont have all the books so i cant get concrete answers from memory....
and possibly a little advice may be needed along the way. Again thank you all, in advance.

Symbionts (field folio and magic of eberron): how many can you have? as many as you com in contact with (as long as there is not more than 1 per slot)?
if the back story is good and they want to play a nonsense tier 4+ should i allow this? im talking like they want a bunch.....
examples: breed leech, psionic sinew, living breastplate, storm stalk, tentacle whip......you get the idea....

Someone wants to get to Hellreaver.....i dont know much about them.....it's not cheese filled with nonsense?
do the Holy Fury points reset after every encounter like Inspiration points?

good lord.....would anyone actually let someone play a Soul Eater? is letting one into the party asking for much hair pulling on my part.

as a note, we never get very far.....every campaign we do starts at like level 5 and eventually dies after 8 levels or so....

Naberius save me!

NO! If you value using ANYTHING besides undead then dont allow this.

jiriku
2014-07-22, 02:08 AM
Wow, you've got some D&D scholars for players. I've never even heard of half this stuff.

I can't help much with your questions, but I'd caution you: if you don't have a copy of the book where a particular resource is found, your answer should probably be no. I've seen DMs get into to trouble over and over again because players are using rules the DM is unfamiliar with, and consequently the DM is unable to referee the game effectively. Having part-time access to the book because a player brings it to the game isn't enough; you need to be able to study it at your leisure and reference it when working on the game between sessions.

Likewise, if you can't tell whether something is going to cause hair-pulling for you or not, the answer should probably be no. Some stuff is just beyond your mastery, and there's no shame in restricting the game to the resources that you know and understand. I banned Tome of Battle for a year, psionics for 2 years, and incarnum for 4 years -- not because any of these systems are bad, but because it took me a look time to be comfortable that I really understood the rules and could predict what would happen when something was introduced into the game.

Good luck!