PDA

View Full Version : Book throwing - did you ever saw that?

With a box
2014-07-21, 08:53 PM
Did you ever saw someone really throw a book to another while play TRPG?

JusticeZero
2014-07-21, 09:01 PM
Throw a book, yes. To another player yes. At another player no. At a wall yes. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the question.

Doc_Maynot
2014-07-21, 09:06 PM
Throw a book, yes. To another player yes. At another player no. At a wall yes. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the question.

I think it has to do with a saying on D&D forums. (Might be in other places, really have only seen it on the forums.)

Forrestfire
2014-07-21, 09:08 PM
"Books being thrown at you" is a hyperbole, I think.

Vhaidara
2014-07-21, 09:12 PM
Classmate in grade school knocked someone out from across the room with a Bible.

We don't throw books in my group more out of respect for groups than out of restraint.

Thurbane
2014-07-21, 09:16 PM
I saw a guy beat another guy bloody at the gaming table, but no book throwing as such.

Not one of our finest moments. :smallfrown:

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-21, 09:23 PM
There are, thankfully, few examples of tried and true book throwing at the game tables.
It's merely an expression.

However, I have chucked my fair share of dice and bags of chips. The dice for when my players are off topic and I need them to roll something. The chips are an informal greeting when they enter my house. They get scared, then say "thank you" while cringing.

Vhaidara
2014-07-21, 09:59 PM
Oh, I almost forgot the banana incident.

We were coming back from the dining hall. One of the players had stayed back for desert. We're about to go inside when we hear him yell "BANANA!". The GM then gets hit in the back of the head with a banana, thrown by the guy who went to get desert. It is now a running joke in the group.

sideswipe
2014-07-22, 06:32 AM
you mean we don't all throw books and beat our players for getting things wrong?

HammeredWharf
2014-07-22, 06:49 AM
I'm not entirely sure if my DMG is a book anymore. It's pimped with all kinds of hidden blades, lead weights and electiroshock weapons to maximize damage whenever a player attempts to resist my authority. I had to rip most of the pages off, but fortunately the DM doesn't have to play by the rules anyway.

DigoDragon
2014-07-22, 07:15 AM
Did you ever saw someone really throw a book to another while play TRPG?

Thankfully no. The GMs I've worked with (myself included) tend to have a standing rule that throwing a book at someone in anger is a sure way of getting kicked out of the group.
We'll totally fund the acquisition of foam dice though.

torrasque666
2014-07-22, 07:30 AM
I had to rip most of the pages off, but fortunately the DM doesn't have to play by the rules anyway.

Whoa there man. Hate leads to anger, anger leads to suffering. Don't go to the Dark Side.

But yeah-no. Its mostly a hyperbole around here for "piss off/frustrate the DM to no end".

jjcrpntr
2014-07-22, 08:20 AM
No, the closest Ive seen/come to is to slam the book on the table.

Vaz
2014-07-22, 08:31 AM
Not so much in Tabletop. Thrown the controller at my mate though on FIFA.

Elderand
2014-07-22, 08:38 AM
I've seen things thrown at peopls, not with rpgs tough, mostly because I play over the internet and not in person.

And throwing the (rule)book at someone is an expression that predates RPGs.

Red Fel
2014-07-22, 08:54 AM
The book's awareness surged. Freefall was not a new experience - it had been dropped on more than one occasion. But this was different. It found itself moving horizontally, and reveled in the novelty.

It became aware of an object in its path. Familiar - it was the face of one of those who had handled it.

Ah, thought the book, I'm visiting a friend!

The book's joy turned into distress, as it realized that its speed was far greater than that by which it was usually delivered to this handler. It quickly began to comprehend the purpose of its newfound flight.

The book's last thoughts before impact were: Oh, no. Not again.

------------------------

The police report would read, "Triple homicide by hardcover publication." The news report would read, "Book of Vile Murder."

Psyren
2014-07-22, 09:12 AM
you mean we don't all throw books and beat our players for getting things wrong?

I thought the common reason was for trying to break the game and be a munchkin, not get things wrong (which would imply a newer or less experienced player.)

Anyway, no, no throwing of hard objects. We do have some large, d20-shaped foam stress balls though.

sideswipe
2014-07-22, 09:24 AM
I thought the common reason was for trying to break the game and be a munchkin, not get things wrong (which would imply a newer or less experienced player.)

Anyway, no, no throwing of hard objects. We do have some large, d20-shaped foam stress balls though.

oh............ well....... i don't throw books obviously......

Jermz
2014-07-22, 09:29 AM
The book's awareness surged. Freefall was not a new experience - it had been dropped on more than one occasion. But this was different. It found itself moving horizontally, and reveled in the novelty.

It became aware of an object in its path. Familiar - it was the face of one of those who had handled it.

Ah, thought the book, I'm visiting a friend!

The book's joy turned into distress, as it realized that its speed was far greater than that by which it was usually delivered to this handler. It quickly began to comprehend the purpose of its newfound flight.

The book's last thoughts before impact were: Oh, no. Not again.

------------------------

The police report would read, "Triple homicide by hardcover publication." The news report would read, "Book of Vile Murder."

Most excellent.

I've thrown a d20 at the DM before, back when I was young and rambunctious. Had something to do with one of my magic weapons getting perma-drained or something. I've seen players fight each other to submission at the table, when we weren't young and rambunctious anymore. I've not seen any flying books, thrown with intent.

Brookshw
2014-07-22, 10:23 AM
Whoa there man. Hate leads to anger, anger leads to suffering. Don't go to the Dark Side.

But yeah-no. Its mostly a hyperbole around here for "piss off/frustrate the DM to no end".

Hey now, I've pointed out a few broken concepts that resulted in my players telling me I should have a book thrown at me :smallbiggrin: