PDA

View Full Version : Cleric to Druid Multiclassing: how does it work?

Peacefrog
2014-07-21, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure what the rule is in terms of the caster level. Even though the spell lists are different, aren't they both technically divine magic?

Also, what happens in terms of casting spells from one class or the other? I couldn't get a good feel from my books or some posts.
If there's a better way of getting cleric spells with druid spells that would also be helpful

AuraTwilight
2014-07-21, 11:48 PM
Different classes means different caster level for each; that they're arcane or divine or whatever isn't really relevant; their spellcasting remains separate.

This applies to your other question, too. Just because you have access to both doesn't really mean you can cast druid spells with your cleric slots and vice versa. You have two "pools" of spells per day.

eggynack
2014-07-21, 11:49 PM
The two are just completely separate. As far as casting is concerned, a cleric 5/druid 6 is just a level five cleric and a level six druid, without any sort of crossover. As for picking up cleric spells on a druid, what in particular are you looking for? What you want might already be effectively on the list in some obscure fashion. Beyond that, dipping into contemplative from complete divine is one of the best ways to add spells to your list, especially combined with holt warden from complete champion.

TheIronGolem
2014-07-21, 11:52 PM
Doesn't matter that they're both divine. Different caster classes, different caster levels, different spell lists. If you're a Cleric 3/Druid 4, then you cast Cleric spells like a 3rd-level Cleric and Druid spells like a 4th-level Druid.

Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some feats or prestige classes that allowed you to at least partially combine some aspects of casting, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

EDIT: thoroughly, savagely beaten.

Coidzor
2014-07-21, 11:56 PM
It does not work well, as there are no real PrCs that combine druid and cleric casting progression and there are no feats that open the classes up to providing synergy to one another.

I'm not sure what the rule is in terms of the caster level. Even though the spell lists are different, aren't they both technically divine magic?

The rule is that caster levels are separate unless there's something specificly explaining how things work, such as arcane caster level from other classes and how they interact with the caster level of classes such as Ur-Priest and Sublime Chord, which are both Prestige Classes with their own spell casting progression.

Cleric and Druid are both Divine, no technically about it.

Also, what happens in terms of casting spells from one class or the other? I couldn't get a good feel from my books or some posts.

If there's a better way of getting cleric spells with druid spells that would also be helpful

You have your cleric spells and your druid spells and never the twain shall meet. So a Druid 5/cleric 5 has 5th level druid spells per day from the druid spell list and 5th level cleric spells per day from the cleric spell list as separate pools of spellcasting they can draw upon at any given time. In the absence of items and other factors, the caster level for both cleric and druid will be 5, because that's how many levels of each they have. Advancing Cleric up to 6th has no impact on the druid side of the equation.

No, not without bringing homebrew into the mix. There are Prestige Classes and feats(such as the Initiate of X feats) that expand the spell list or give access to Cleric Domains to casters that aren't necessarily clerics, though, so one could take advantage of those as a Druid in order to add a few cleric spells to that character's repertoire.

Peacefrog
2014-07-22, 12:02 AM
As for picking up cleric spells on a druid, what in particular are you looking for?

Well it applies to 2 of my characters in 2 different campaigns.

One is a water based cleric using a variety of water spells, but after going against his god needs to somehow fight back using more natural magic.

Then, the other I was going for a Cleric/Spirit Shaman who is closer to dealing with ghosts than nature.
It's mostly a flavor thing. The character uses mainly death spells (and possibly the death touch ability from either repose,death domain or both) to only kill those who are near death so they can be released to the otherside, while being about to destroy undead/deathless, which are considered offensive or tragic since the character celebrates dying as a gift of sorts in the cycle of life.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-07-22, 12:16 AM
If you want a mix of spells from both lists you can play an Archivist.

One is a water based cleric using a variety of water spells, but after going against his god needs to somehow fight back using more natural magic.
Probably best off switching to being a cleric of a cause or something, otherwise you're just throwing those cleric levels off a cliff.

Then, the other I was going for a Cleric/Spirit Shaman who is closer to dealing with ghosts than nature.
It's mostly a flavor thing. The character uses mainly death spells (and possibly the death touch ability from either repose,death domain or both) to only kill those who are near death so they can be released to the otherside, while being about to destroy undead/deathless, which are considered offensive or tragic since the character celebrates dying as a gift of sorts in the cycle of life.
Ehh, you're probably better off going Cleric/relevant PrC than mixing two unrelated classes like that.

Peacefrog
2014-07-22, 12:34 AM
There are Prestige Classes and feats(such as the Initiate of X feats) that expand the spell list or give access to Cleric Domains to casters that aren't necessarily clerics, though, so one could take advantage of those as a Druid in order to add a few cleric spells to that character's repertoire.

the initiate feats could work, I'll go read into them

If you want a mix of spells from both lists you can play an Archivist.
Probably best off switching to being a cleric of a cause or something, otherwise you're just throwing those cleric levels off a cliff.

That sounds interesting! I actually never thought of just switching to a cause and I'll probably look into archivist some more too.

Thanks for the dope advice guys! :smallcool:

Coidzor
2014-07-22, 01:38 AM

Rebuild (quest) to be a Druid instead? Switch over to being a cleric of a cause/ideal/principle? Rebuild those levels and go Ur-Priest?

I'm not sure there's much to help you there other than homebrew, sorry. :smallconfused:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-22, 01:46 AM

Player's Handbook II, Chapter 8: Rebuilding Your Character has rules/guidelines on rebuilding your character's class levels on pages 197-198. You can probably turn all of your Cleric levels into Druid levels after a bit of in-game effort.

You're usually better off picking a single base class for spellcasting, then taking a prestige class to advance that base class while gaining class features that fit your character concept. There are a few prestige classes that would grant a Spirit Shaman one or more domains or some sort of death magic, and there are a few prestige classes that would give a Cleric a bit more of a spiritual flavor. Again, see if you can rebuild the character into something more efficient, as multiclassing spellcasting classes will end up giving you twice as many low-level spells when you could have had higher level and better spells from just one class.