PDA

View Full Version : Fall of Zarus - IC

THEChanger
2014-07-22, 01:28 AM
"Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory." -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"Anyone can deal with victory. Only the mighty can bear defeat." -Adolf Hitler

You've lost.

Whether or not you actually fought, whether or not you even knew there was a war, you lost. Zarus' armies march across the continent of Ulru, unchecked, and the only places they do not extend their reach are those places they have no desire for. You, the inhumans, have been pushed to the very edges of the world. For some, this is not an issue. They have always lived on those edges, and the only real change is that now things are much more crowded. For others, this is a huge and devastating change. They have lost their homes, their families, all that they were to the scourge which wipes the land.

Somewhere in the Deep Pits, a gong rings, signalling the beginning of a new day. With no sunlight here, it is difficult for the diurnal species to keep to a proper sleep schedule. The dwarves have always used the gongs for this purpose, and with Gahriar's wards keeping sound from traveling outside the boundaries of this strange underground refugee camp, it is still safe to ring the morning and evening gongs. Occasionally, Zarite patrols run through the upper city of Heddwch's Reach, but in roughly fifty years, none have ever bothered to journey into the Deep Pits.

But now, the refugees of the day awake, and begin their work, as those who work in the night take their rest. Forges are lit, crude storefronts are opened, and guards change shifts. The Deep Pits are a twisting series of tunnels, not a city as one would think of one on the surface, but merely spaces carved into the walls as needed. It was never designed for a city, just a mine, and most of the tunnels are sized for dwarves. Over the fifty years it has served as a residence, some of the major tunnels have been widened for the larger denizens, but in most places it is still a tight squeeze.

Each of you has awoken from a dream. Those of you who do not sleep experienced this as a daydream, but dream you did. A summons from your host, Gahriar the Cruel, Lady of the Black Dragonflight, Mistress of the Deep Pits and quite possibly the last surviving Great Wyrm of the old True Dragons. Her majestic frame, lit by green fire, has informed each of you that she requires your presence in her chambers at the noontide gong. There are several hours until then, so each of you are free to conduct any business you may have beforehand - or simply to arrive at Her Ladyship's abode early. Perhaps others will be there.

Silver Night
2014-07-22, 01:44 AM
Reacher

A gnome with short, reddish hair and green eyes picks her way through the twisting passages of the Pits. She has a broad smile and a friendly greeting for those she sees on the way - everything from dwarven guards and elven refugees to a Mind Flayer running an apothecary shop. She has strapped to her back a backpack, a longsword, a bow, and a fiddle - all clearly a bit large for her though they have been wrapped in a bundle which makes carrying them less awkward than it might otherwise be.

She ambles in the general direction of Gahriar, but takes her time - perhaps not entirely keen to stand in front of the great dragon herself. A quick word with a shopkeeper she knows, a stop to pick up a delicious sticky bun, but all too soon she finds herself in the tunnels immediately outside the dragon's lair.

Vertharrad
2014-07-22, 04:13 AM
The sound of the morning gong wakes Gulklyreth from a very vivid summons. The great general Gahriar used her dreams to call her forward for a meeting. Lowering herself out of her web she goes about her morning routine. Washing up in a underground basin nearby, making sure to wash her hair and take care around the spot where her precious orb used to be. Damn Zarites I'm going to make them pay for taking my eye.

She still remebers the journey to get here after hearing from a traveling underground merchant about a possible army being put together in the Deep Pits. Her surprise was massive to see so many different races working together to bring the zarites to their knees. Dwarves, elves, gnomes, duergar, drow, mind flayers; everything rom animal to vermin that was being persecuted by these arrogant humans was gathered here for a chance at payback.

Finishing up Gullyreth dries off and puts her clothes on. She feels a little thrill as the strap for her quiver is drawn across her chest. The sheath for her spear placed across her back as well. When she puts her eyepatch back on Gulklyreth feels complete. she's still getting used to the disoriented feeling of not having 2 eyes. The healing scars from heavy fighting remind her why she's here. The former associates she had.

Not feeling the need to poke around and waste time Gulklyreth heads for Gahriars Lair a little anxious to see why she has summoned her. She might be ready to move already and has started to call forth various teams for tasks/missions. Frowning she still feels cramped as she travels through a few sections of the cave system sized for the little people. Having to take care squeezing thrugh these sections she smiles when coming to the area where it's evident a dragon lives as the passages and caverns are larger than she has need for. When the lair comes into view she sees that theres another person there, a small person.

Lord Bayushi
2014-07-22, 01:21 PM
Under the earth, away from the sun, but no sea to be found. Less alien, but still far from home, if there was even a home any more. Water felt far different to it's stony flesh than it had in the days before what it had come to call the Encasement, where it had used the earth and stone to protect itself from the harsh eternal dreaming. It's rocky skin felt like it's own now, it's cool, smooth, moist skin a distant memory among so many, many other memories that it was hard to call it a memory of it's own at all.

The dwarf-walkers needed help with tunneling for the larger creatures, from their tiny standards. Nevek’Jethixur could now swim through the earth, and, as in the sea, it left a wake, but this wake was in stone, and it could be of use to those that couldn't swim through stone as it could. The dwarf-walkers were very concerned with collapse, they were measuring and writing constantly, using denominations that were unfamiliar to Nevek, though there were distant memories of the Aboleth that had directed dwarf-thralls in building below the seas, and all seemed distantly familiar to the Aboleth, as though another race were recalling a strangely clear dream.

Nevek swam as they directed, wiping away any trail that it made before the dwarf-walkers set in with their lumber and steel to shore up it's wake. It had been like this for some days, Nevek coming here to see it's acquaintance, the bard-worm, and wanting to be of some use. The waking dream had been unusual, Aboleth tend not to fantasize or imagine in the way other races understand it, and it was as if some ancient collective memory had shoved it's way to the surface of Nevek's mind unbidden, forcing all others out of the way. The wyrm-creature directed Nevek to come as bidden, and, while Nevek understood the tunnels of the dwarf-walkers to be the territory of the wyrm-creature, and thus it's obligations as a guest from a twisted Aboleth point of view, it had pangs of pride, as if a wyrm-creature could bid an Aboleth come hither.

The dwarf-walkers would be hard at work for some time. Nevek usually held the beams in place, but occasionally, as it did now, wondered off and left them to it. Forbidden as it was to swim amidst the dwarf-walker tunnels, it dragged itself along through the larger areas of the tunnels, looking for the walker-shape that the bard-worm was wearing, causing as little a stir as possible in the process. The bard-worm knew more about the wyrm-creature and the customs of the walker-tunnels than it did, and it's Aboleth memories screamed caution whenever dealing with a wyrm-creature. More information was needed.

whoiam
2014-07-22, 02:19 PM
Ascent did not sleep often. Nighttime was too busy and there were appearances to be maintained during the day. Besides, there were few worse places to trap a Demon than inside their own head. So the nature of the summons would have annoyed her, even had it not interrupted a verrry interesting talk with a Dwarven Elder. (About Dwarf-Human Relations in ancient times. Ascent was far from chaste, even now, but she still knew better than to give the impression she was feeding on her allies.)

Thanks to her mood she had paid little attention during her walk towards the larger tunnels. A state of mind that had won her little but a muddy smear on the forehead from the times she'd walked into a low ceiling during the journey. Luckily she wasn't nearly a fast enough walker to injure herself...

It was, in fact, not cranial trauma but an Aboleth who finally arrested the Succubus' progress. Mainly by being much larger than her, heavier than her, slower than her... and ahead of her.

Abyssal: "....well, that's not the kind of arse I expected to be staring at down here..."

Aboleth (via Tongues): "Could you hurry, oh giant one? Somehow I doubt I have the strength to push you..."

Just because Ascent could be diplomatic, didn't stop her from being in a bad mood...

Silver Night
2014-07-22, 08:25 PM
Reacher

Gulklyreth might see the small figure dawdle, and as she gets closer she might even hear it idly singing a song in what might be Goblin. For anyone who approaches and speaks Goblin, the song is a humorous one mostly about the increasingly unlikely ways a small group of clever goblins trick a much larger group of hapless, bumbling orcs.

Vertharrad
2014-07-22, 08:52 PM
Dhuuch tuuch'zaan rhaac ghuugaan shagaakloch. Or't huukakec draaraagaal ar.
Fools should've been more careful. Orc's probably deserved it.

Gulklyreth has a predatory grin on her face as she approaches the small creature singing in goblin. She stares at the little one sizing it up.

Haakhec kekhaan okaan. Ghec khralkaan an Hol'dur. Magaan o rhaac tolkuukaal maagaan an daach?
Greetings little one. My name is Gulklyeth. Have you been summoned here as well?

Silver Night
2014-07-22, 11:02 PM
Reacher

The gnome spins, clearly a bit startled, but quickly producing a friendly smile and smoothly transitioning to Common, "Why hello there! Wonderful to meet you, Gulklyreth - love the eyepatch, gives you a certain gravitas."

She produces a graceful bow, "Reacher Wordsmith, at your service. I was indeed summoned - though I'm not sure what help a humble bard might be to the great wyrm. I'm frankly not entirely sure I'm looking forward to finding out."

Vertharrad
2014-07-23, 03:53 AM
Reaching up to stroke the eyepatch a ray of light twinkles in the ruby after her hand passes over it. It is a constant reminder of what happened when I was tested for the second time. I got it the hard way. You notice the scarring around the eyepatch indicating that a blade had passed over the eye socket too close for comfort. For the sake of all of us I hope you find yourself more useful than you think. Failure is not going to be good for any of us, the humans are brutal and relentless. Shall we proceed Reacher? Let's go find out why we were summoned.

Rendel Nep
2014-07-23, 10:55 AM
Gilbert awoke with a start, already curious about his summons. An invasion? a spy? perhaps a mission...or maybe the old dragon hag wants a snack. Nah, that's how 'justice' works in this mixed up bottled realm works. n He dutifully got dressed and left to conduct the morning service to his congregation in the half hour slot between Pelor's and St Cuthbert's since all three religions are privileged enough to time share a single chapel within the Moradin's grand vault. The product of being old allies in wars long forgotten, Gilbert was grateful that the Fist of Valor had temporary accommodation. The Arch-Paladin's half brother's cult had fared much worse and as far as Gilbert knew was working out of an abandoned basement somewhere. Not that the bastards deserved any better.

Remaining apprehensive about his summons, he informed his small congregation at the end of his sermon that he might have to step down due to a military assignment and if that is indeed true then he'll be handing the congregation over to his deputy. Determining succession in advance was necessary in these troubled times as it was all too easy to have a schism with so few followers. After a brief chat with the young cleric, Gilbert having full trust in her, let her know the full details of what he expected with Gahriar which was little admittedly. Now his clerical affairs were in order, Gilbert had breakfast and conducted some target practicing with his bow. The practice was more to stretch his muscle than to perfect his aiming which to be blunt was exceptional but that was expected of a pixie anyway.

After concluding his practice, Gilbert went and purchased stationary supplies and more arrows. He needed the stationary supplies so that if he ever used his amnesiac arrows, his victims would at least be aware of a remedy for their affliction. Whether or not they could get the remedy wasn't Gilbert's concern, it took the enemies out of action and in war that what mattered most. The fact that the actual remedy was hidden deep within a pamphlet exposing the evil of Zarus always amused Gilbert as did the wizard who had first made the suggestion.

At around ten after concluding his errands, Gilbert decided it was time to fly to entrance to the Dragon Queen's lair. He was wondering if any others might have shown up yet. Indeed there they were, one stunning naked woman of a race he couldn't identify and a fish thing that appeared to be made from stone. He'll have to inquire about that later.

Good Morning to you both. Are you here to speak to the Lady as well? He asks as calmly as possible, trying to hide any embarrassment or fear although his body language was quite tense.

Silver Night
2014-07-23, 11:19 AM
Reaching up to stroke the eyepatch a ray of light twinkles in the ruby after her hand passes over it. It is a constant reminder of what happened when I was tested for the second time. I got it the hard way. You notice the scarring around the eyepatch indicating that a blade had passed over the eye socket too close for comfort. For the sake of all of us you I hope you find yourself more useful than you think. Failure is not going to be good for any of us, the humans are brutal and relentless. Shall we proceed Reacher? Let's go find out why we were summoned.

The smile briefly leaves Reacher's eyes, if not her mouth, "Oh, I know of humans, Gulklyreth. Perhaps we should wait and see if there are others - I had assumed I was the only one summoned, but here you are. Anyway, while I may not dare to be fashionable late, I will at the very least not be early. It's a matter of principle!"

Reacher hums the last couple of bars of the goblin song - it's really quite catchy, "We should know each other better, if we are potentially going to end up room-mates in a dragon's stomach. You did not say why it might be that the old wyrm would call you in?"

Lord Bayushi
2014-07-23, 11:48 AM
Abyssal: "....well, that's not the kind of arse I expected to be staring at down here..."

Aboleth (via Tongues): "Could you hurry, oh giant one? Somehow I doubt I have the strength to push you..."

The utterance in Abyssal managed to start the Aboleth, it began to turn it's bulk so it could look behind it when it heard it's own language for the first time in what seemed an eternity. It understood that another Aboleth was not here, but somewhere within in, a feeling of longing and hope, alien concepts to the Aboleth, caused it to turn faster, until it was finally able to see the red-skinned, bat-winged form before it. Disappointment was apparent on it's stony features to those that could identify the expressions of Aboleth (few indeed), and it let out a small wheeze from it's mucus ducts, a sigh among it's kind, once it realized how much the foolishness of hope had taken hold.

It responded to the demoness in her own tongue, deciding that the sentimental notions of it's own were still factors to which it should devote more study before indulging. "I have been forbidden from swimming through the dwarf-walker caves, tanar'ri, but if your need is urgent, I can hasten my travel. Is 'arse' a term of familiarity, contempt, or curiosity among your kind?"

It concentrated as it spoke, and rose from the ground ever so slightly, seeming to swim in mid-air, still confined by the tight space of the cavern, but no longer clumsily dragging itself around. It 'swam' sideways through the corridor, twisting it's form so that it could keep eyes on it's path and the succubus as well. "And have you seen the Reacher Wordsmith? I seek it's guidance."

Taking 10 on the knowledge check (32), activating Psionic Flight, now moving at 60ft.

Vertharrad
2014-07-23, 12:04 PM
Looking bored Gulklyreth mulls over what to say to the diminutive gnome. I don't know why Gahriar requires me, but I will tell you why I'm here.

She stretches a tense minute out while dredging up the recent events up that she wants to forget. "I was surviving on the fringes of underground existence waiting for the tensions between the drow and other driders to either smoothen themselves out or explode. Visiting a nearby enclave of driders I came upon a entrenched battle between them and some of these Zarite humans. You have to realize that for the longest time humans have been slaves to drow down here. I used my magic and steel to try and give my people a chance at getting away.

She strokes the eyepatch again. That's where I got this. There was a point in the battle when I knew it was futile. Running out of spells and blood from the multiple wounds, this insane human male rushes me swinging his long 2-handed blade. I felt the pointy steel skip across my face as I speared him repeatedly. I fled shortly after. I was lucky to get this before they attacked and destroyed the nearby drow city. An underground merchant told me about this place. And that a army was being assembled to strike back. Here I am waiting for an audiance with one of the oldest creatures around...dragons. I just want a chance to revisit some payback for them taking my eye and destroying the closest thing to a family or home I had left.

Silver Night
2014-07-23, 12:21 PM
Reacher

"Never spent much time around the Drow - or Driders - myself, for all that my own people also dwell underground. We tend to not inhabit places quite so deep, though, I suppose." Reacher studies the drider's face a moment, expression more serious, "So it seems that you owe the Zarusites for an eye. And you are a warrior and a magic user? Indicative of why you might be summoned."

Reacher grins broadly again, "Seems to be good news - perhaps we aren't on the menu, even if we are scheduled for a lunch-time meeting. I owe my own debt of unpleasantness to the human fanatics - a common thread between us, and perchance we might be called to repay them."

whoiam
2014-07-23, 12:38 PM
Ascent, for her part, hadn't the faintest idea what an Aboleth was. She'd never felt the need to study aberrations, since they'd typically require specialized Succubi to tempt, assuming they were even vulnerable to such things in the first place...

Aboleth (via tongues): "Reacher's here? Huh, guess it's a small cave system. I haven't seen Reacher in decades... Still, I should have known the humans wouldn't be able to kill them. When it comes to evading humans, the right face and some practice on your mannerisms and they'll never suspect a thing.

Actually, 'arse' is an anatomical term, referring to the padded part of a humanoid's body at the back of the joint between the legs and the torso. This part." Turning to present her rear to the fish-rock-monster, Ascent got her first look at Gilbert while she was indicating the correct region of her body with her tail.

Aboleth (via tongues): "I know it's probably not an accurate description of your anatomy, but it was the closest term I had 'to mind', as it were, for someone's rear end."

So, a Pixie too? Strange group. Still, it was far more likely to work on a mission with her than the giant rock-fish-monster was. She could sneak a pixie into anywhere just by wearing a dress with pockets.

Sylvan (via tongues): "I don't suppose either of you understand when I speak in the other's tongue, do you? To answer your question, I am here to speak to the Dragon, yes. I haven't learned enough about... that..." gesturing again with her tail, this time at Nevek "to know if it is as well."

A quick glance back over her shoulder at that comment revealed that Nevek was now easily outpacing her. She quickly spins back around to face where she's going, because she has to hustle to keep up with him now. Something she'd have found sadly difficult to do while walking backwards...

Vertharrad
2014-07-23, 01:18 PM
A curious look comes across her face. What can you do? Certainly theres something other than being a meal that would bring you to the attention of a old dragon. Theres others around here that can probably be a better bigger meal. What do you do?

Silver Night
2014-07-23, 01:33 PM
Reacher

A curious look comes across her face. What can you do? Certainly theres something other than being a meal that would bring you to the attention of a old dragon. Theres others around here that can probably be a better bigger meal. What do you do?

"A fair enough question. I am a bard, and so while I carry a sword my true weapons are words. Truth and lies; songs and whispers. And with those weapons (if very few others) I am a skilled enough warrior. I have traveled extensively in the human controlled lands, I know many people, and if we are to be sent against the humans then we will probably need to traverse the areas they control without having to fight an army at every step: I may be some assistance with that. I have some few magical tricks. I suppose those are reasons, though who knows what's in the mind of the old Wyrm." Reacher shrugs, "As for others being a bigger meal, I don't doubt it - but perhaps I'm bigger on the inside than I look on the outside."

Rendel Nep
2014-07-23, 10:39 PM
Gilbert looks back from the momentary distraction and shakes his head while keeping up effortlessly.
(Thickly accented Sylvan) No, it sounds like a cacophony of wind instruments all going off at once. Sylvan's a second language for me, I learnt it through an elf tutor paid by the orphanage that raised me. He replies.

Lord Bayushi
2014-07-23, 10:49 PM
The Aboleth took notice of the tiny new-comer, a fey of some description, but could make not sense of the language they were using. Deciding to attempt to speak in the common walker-speak, it hoped to overcome the problem in a more meaningful way.

"Your strange sounds seem to be a language, perhaps I can help find a way where we could all understand one another more clearly."

Nevek reached out with it's mind, weaving a psionic lattice that would allow them all to think to one another clearly.

Activate psi-like ability Involuntary Mindlink, targeting both of my 'companions', make DC 18 Will saves (or just choose to fail) to be part of the fun.

Rendel Nep
2014-07-23, 11:55 PM
Gilbert willingly allows the Aboleth to make contact mostly to be polite he supposes.
As a gesture of trust feel free to come in but please leave the furniture as you left it. Past experience has assured me it's really quite difficult to pin a spell on me if I don't want it to. So I just think like this right? he thinks

whoiam
2014-07-24, 02:33 AM
[roll0]

Taking Nevek's lead, Ascent switches to common. Honestly, she'd have tried that earlier if she'd realised that Nevek spoke it.

Common: "How rude! Did I try forcing my way into your mind? Then why are you pushing into mine?! My mind is not some library for you to stroll into at your leisure, you know."

Oddly enough, she was thinking along similar lines to Nevek's resentment of being summoned. Strangers intruding into your mind was what Succubi did to mortals, to have this fish monster do it to her was... distasteful, to say the least. It was especially galling down in the Deep Piits, where Ascent wasn't getting to prey on anyone, since they were all 'allies' now... yet another factor contributing to her less-than-sunny demeanor...

Lord Bayushi
2014-07-24, 01:40 PM
Mental tether in place, Nevek began to communicate with the fey in a way that seemed far more natural to it than modulating sounds. "Furniture? I have no desire for anything more than the transfer of information, have no fear of re-arrangement. I am Nevek’Jethixur, former Savant of my kind, the Aboleth of the deep seas." As it thought, images of it's strange home and life before it's exile were transferred, some quite disturbing, as what is natural and everyday to Aboleth seems quite horrifying to most other races. Pangs of longing for the waters of it's former life, for it's soft, moist skin and for it's position of authority and acceptance all came along with the images, making the entire visage seem quite sad. "Now an exile to the walker-lands, Encased and homeless, wandering eternal." Less a feeling of depression or anger, but simply of acceptance followed the images of Nevek as it was now, and the few flashes of places that it had been on the surface world. "I greet you."

At the same time, continuing to communicate in the common walker-tongue, Nevek expressed confusion. "Expediting communication in a more meaningful way is rude? Tanar'ri culture must be different than I imagine. No rudeness was intended, only deeper and quicker means by which to exchange information."

As the tunnel began to widen, ahead, it's roof was also extended, so that Nevek could gain a bit of altitude. It looked out among the creatures in the larger area, but could not be certain what walker-form the Reacher Wordsmith would be wearing. "Do you think that one of these is the Reacher Wordsmith?"

whoiam
2014-07-24, 02:07 PM
Common, angry: "Actually, going into another's head uninvited is one of the cornerstones of Tanar'ri culture. But if you think Demons are a good model for the sorts of behaviour that allows disparate groups to co-exist peacefully then you really don't know us very well, do you? Around here, it's best to think of Telepathy as like mortal mating. It's typically done between people who know and trust each other, or by people whose judgement is in some respect impaired, or between the strong and those too weak or fearful to resist them. That last category tends to be frowned upon, incidentally. Usually from a safe distance, behind a line of the local guard. But frowned upon all the same. Now let's just agree that the two of us don't currently fall under any of those categories, and stick to using our mouths, shall we?"

As she caught up with Nevek again, Ascent had the chance to look around the chamber. She could see a Drider - who looked sort of familiar? But Ascent didn't know, or work with, Driders... so she shrugged that one off. There was also a halfling, who she did not immediately recognise.

Common, calm: "As to Reacher, I do not know. But as with so many other social situations, being a loudmouth has it's advantages."

Common, shouting through cupped hands at Reacher and Gulkyreth: "Oi! Is Reacher Wordsmith hiding inside either of you two?"

Vertharrad
2014-07-24, 02:27 PM
Looking up at someone being so crass as to shout out such a implication Gulklyreth stops with a surprised look on her face. Her mind races as she mentaly harkens back to a very impressionable time in her life. She involuntarily holds her breath as she lays eyes on one of her teachers who initiated her into the wonderment of the arcane arts. Finally coming to herself she adopts a annoyed look. And speaking loud enough to carry unobtrusively she replies. My palate does not include the pale cousins of svirfneblin I'll have you know. But what are you doing here Pasha? Were you summoned from the planes for a specific purpose this time?

Silver Night
2014-07-24, 03:57 PM
Reacher (all in common)

Reacher spreads her arms wide in greeting, projecting her voice without shouting, "Pasha!" She grins and holds her arms up as if linked at the wrist by invisible shackles, "You caught me! I'm am indeed 'in here'. It sounds as though you and Gulklyreth here have already met as well? I hope you aren't here to stop us - I know all the humans turning evil must be doing wonders for business. I don't expect they would let you walk around if that was the case, though. Regardless, its nice to see you, I hope you have been well? Lots of 'customers'? Still better than me at dancing? - though I maintain that being a Succubus is cheating!"

Reacher squints, "And is that Nevek? The old lady gave you a call too, did she? My what an interesting group." She indicates the Pixie, "And who is your tiny friend?"

whoiam
2014-07-24, 05:47 PM
Common, quietly: "See? There's usually a simple answer to these sorts of questions. I'll admit, I didn't expect it to be *that* simple..."

Grinning, Ascent crosses the open cave to join the two who recognised her. She was staring at Gulkyreth the entire way across. Even when she reaches them and responds to Reacher, she's still staring at the Drider. "The Pixie never introduced himself. Neither did 'Nevek', but then that might have been what he was trying to do telepathically on the way over. The downside to blocking telepathic content is you never really know what they wanted. Aaanyway... I haven't been going by Passion-by-Moonlight for a while, now."

She switches into a singsong tone to recite "The naming of Demons is a serious matter, it isn't just one of your holiday games...".

And back to conversational. "We take names for a reason - and not always the one people would guess! - but when the reason changes, so does the name.

Zaurus is a disaster for the Abyss. And for the Nine Hells. And the Upper Planes. About the only reason you can't look outside to see armies of Angels competing against Legions of Devils to see who can sack the most human towns in the shortest time period is that Zaurus hasn't been ascendant long enough to make us desperate. Yet. The problems for me and mine are two-fold. One, Demons aren't great on teamwork, so there's a good chance we'd be the big losers if this world became an open battlefield. Two, even if we won, no free humans means no need for Succubi anymore. Protecting my privileged position in the afterlife requires fighting the worship of Zaurus... quietly, so that the other planes don't get involved. So, here I am. With the name 'Ascent-of-Man'. Feel free to draw your own conclusions about why I picked it."

Finally, Ascent cuts out the creepy stare, and offers Gulkyreth a hand. "Honestly, I liked your old legs better."

Rendel Nep
2014-07-25, 07:32 AM
After the deluge of images being revealed to him, Gilbert's face goes pale and tears swell around his eyes. He flies up and gives one of the Aboleth's fins or tentacles a hug.
I don't fully comprehend it but I feel so sorry for you. I would welcome you you as a friend at least to ease the loneliness.

Memories flash by of acceptance among the humans then the gradual prosecution he faced as a pixie and heathen. All the times he barely escaped Zarite zealots, the storming of Heironeian temples and the constant retreats he made leading culminating in his role as a minister and inquisitor here in the Deep pits flash by with undertones of hopelessness and anger.

I guess our circumstances aren't too different. I hope to one day become accepted again. A image of human worshipers of Heironeous praying in secret pops into Gilberts head for Nevek to see.

(Common)Ladies, I am Gilbert Founderson, Knight Gallant and Inquisitor of the Fists of Valor and serve faithfully the Arch Paladin. As you could imagine, the church of Heironeous has become a bit short staffed lately. Gilbert introduces himself, the last line said with all seriousness.

Vertharrad
2014-07-25, 07:42 AM
As Pasha approaches Gulklyreth smiles smugly waiting patiently for the succubus to make the connection. She feels hurt that it's taking so long, she hasn't changed that much has she? She takes Pashas hand in greetibng after being offered it. Such is the price of failure. The spider queen doesn't reward failure and is a capricous bitch. I miss my old legs too.

Zarus is a problem for all of us. If he got his way we'd all be either wiped out or enslaved. Which offends my drow pride, no slave race is going to do something like this without consequences.

Giving Ascent of Man a serious look. Do I really look so different?

Turning to address the other newcomers. Greetings my name is Gulklyreth, your estemed Drider acquantance. I'm assuming you've been summoned to an audiance with Gahriar as well? And it sounds like each of us has a vested interest in destroying these upstart interlopers.

Lord Bayushi
2014-07-25, 01:45 PM
Nevek was about to comment to the succubus' statement, but was suddenly taken aback by the 'hug' of the fey. This kind of physical contact between a surface creature and an Aboleth was quite unheard of, and it didn't know how to respond. Like many facets of the surface world, there was no equivalent in Aboleth culture, and Nevek searched his extended memories for a moment, coming to an ancestor that had many helpful symbiotic fish clinging to it's dermis for much of it's life. Deciding this was the best equation, Nevek ignored the harmless gesture, and reinserted itself into the more clumsy sonic conversation with the other walker-creatures.

It met the Reacher Wordsmith's glance, and gave off a slight shrug, continuing to converse in the walker common language. "It is I, Nevek’Jethixur, and I did try to extend communication to the tanar'ri Pasha, but she took unwarranted offense, and has had an overall attitude thus far in our encounter that suggests she fits one of the walker-colloquialisms that you tried to get me to understand. Pasha is a bitch, if I understand the term properly."

Adjusting it's position to take in the group as a whole, it continued, "As for those that do not know me, I am former Savant of the Aboleth, exile and wanderer of the walker-lands. Any acquaintance of the Reacher Wordsmith has nothing to fear from me so long as they are not aggressive against the Reacher Wordsmith or myself."

Turning back to Reacher, it added, "I am glad to have found you, I have been summoned by the wyrm-creature that claims dominion over these walker-tunnels. The memories of my ancestors urge caution when dealing with the old wyrm-creatures, I seek your advice. Should I go to the wyrm-creature, or move on from this place?"

whoiam
2014-07-25, 02:18 PM
Sticking to common now: "A Paladin? Really? Gahriar has business that's best solved by making a Paladin work together with a Demon? Well, little fey, I'm willing to try it if you are. If nothing else it'll make a nice anecdote for parties in a century or two..."

Shifting her attention back to Gulkyreth, Ascent replies with "Well, the limb count has changed. You're much larger. The face has had some work done, too, and I'm not sure I approve of the artist's technique... But apart from that, no, no change at all! Still, I'm not overly fond of the whole having-my-life-destroyed-by-humanity bit, either. It's their fault I ended up in the Abyss in the first place, the least they could do is damn themselves to make my afterlife comfortable!"

And finally, Nevek needed a response, as well. Finally turning away from Gulkyreth, she fixed a stare on what she was reasonably confident was his face... well, he was moving bits of it when he talked, and that had to be close enough, right?. "No, Ascent-of-Man is a Bitch. Or 'Demon', as we typically call ourselves. Pasha was worse. Not to my friends, of course, but there would be a surprising number of soulless husks wandering around these tunnels if I had come here as Passion-by-Moonlight..."

Vertharrad
2014-07-25, 03:04 PM
Letting Ascent of Man get her say in Gulklyreth waits with hard glinting eyes before saying. If your talking about the eye...that artist is no longer among the living. And I have no need to confront Lolth about my transformation. All us drow know the risks.

Giving Ascent a odd look. I thought demons were born in the Abyss. How can humans be the reason you were in the Abyss? And with all the fighting being done wouldn't the soldiers be more susceptible to your charms? Wouldn't they want to f**k as much as possible since they might die in battle and never have the chance again?

Turning to Gilbert the small fey. I have heard and seen what happens between paladins and Drow/Driders. One tried attacking my city once with a "adventuring" group. They were defeated, from what I heard the paladin held out the longest under torture. They said he kept ranting about how the righteous wraith of the good will destroy our evil and corrupt society. I hope for your sake we can put aside our differences and work together. If not I'll have you know I sleep with one eye open Knight Founderson. You can detect no malice in her words, they are delivered in a matter of fact tone of voice.

Addressing Nevek. Although I have heard rumors and hearsay about Aboleth I have no quarrel with you or Reacher Wordsmith. You shouldn't have any problems with me.

Silver Night
2014-07-25, 04:39 PM
Reacher

(Common)Ladies, I am Gilbert Founderson, Knight Gallant and Inquisitor of the Fists of Valor and serve faithfully the Arch Paladin. As you could imagine, the church of Heironeous has become a bit short staffed lately. Gilbert introduces himself, the last line said with all seriousness.

Reacher observes the pixie accosting the aboleth and smiles, "Well, that's something you don't see every day. A pleasure to meet you, Gilbert. You go by Gilbert or Gil? Or Sir Gil? I'll admit to not always getting along with Paladins, and Inquisitors in particular - but I've never had any trouble with Heironeous. I'm Reacher Wordsmith, not much in the way of titles, just a humble bard." She gives him a wink, "I do hope we'll be friends."

Turning back to Reacher, it added, "I am glad to have found you, I have been summoned by the wyrm-creature that claims dominion over these walker-tunnels. The memories of my ancestors urge caution when dealing with the old wyrm-creatures, I seek your advice. Should I go to the wyrm-creature, or move on from this place?"

"You and Ascent-of-Man just got off on the wrong foot, I'm sure. Cultural differences. Like that time we were in that village in - was it Faldaria? - and there was that thing with the goat, remember? Talk about awkward. Anyway, since we will be working together (or taking the old draconic acid bath together) I hope the two of you can put it behind you?

"As to your question: I've been summoned also. I'd say that we should see what the old lizard has to say." Reacher shakes her head, "What's the worst that can happen? She kills us now instead of some human scum killing us later when they finally get around to clearing out places like this? And if - and I think and hope this is more likely - she has something for us to do against the humans, I think its worth the risk. After all, it seems to be the one thing all of us have in common."

Sticking to common now: "
And finally, Nevek needed a response, as well. Finally turning away from Gulkyreth, she fixed a stare on what she was reasonably confident was his face... well, he was moving bits of it when he talked, and that had to be close enough, right?. "[COLOR="#B22222"]No, Ascent-of-Man is a Bitch. Or 'Demon', as we typically call ourselves. Pasha was worse. Not to my friends, of course, but there would be a surprising number of soulless husks wandering around these tunnels if I had come here as Passion-by-Moonlight..."

"Does that mean you're off the soul-sauce? I do know I get a bit cranky myself if I don't have a zombie or two every now and then.I hope you'll tell me about the name change, sometime soon." She gives Ascent a quick, less showy smile, "I still remember your lessons, and they've served me well."

Rendel Nep
2014-07-26, 12:38 AM
"A Paladin? Really? Gahriar has business that's best solved by making a Paladin work together with a Demon? Well, little fey, I'm willing to try it if you are. If nothing else it'll make a nice anecdote for parties in a century or two..."

Gilbert nods.
"I agree, it does seem an odd pairing. I got this nagging feeling she's holding some grudge from ages past because of Heironeous' history with dragons. Yes I'm willing try because as you've said it's been a disaster. I can restrain myself. It's not like the old order is relevant anyway. We fight the same cause and any retribution right now is counter productive..."
He says and hastily adds "and I'm outnumbered four to one."

I have heard and seen what happens between paladins and Drow/Driders. One tried attacking my city once with a "adventuring" group. They were defeated, from what I heard the paladin held out the longest under torture. They said he kept ranting about how the righteous wraith of the good will destroy our evil and corrupt society. I hope for your sake we can put aside our differences and work together. If not I'll have you know I sleep with one eye open Knight Founderson

At Gulklyreth's threat he shakes his head, dismissing any notion of violence.
"I've put all differences aside since my religion was condemned as a pagan cult and everyone was forced to flee or was forcibly converted. Fear not and sleep soundly." He promises

"Well, that's something you don't see every day. A pleasure to meet you, Gilbert. You go by Gilbert or Gil? Or Sir Gil? I'll admit to not always getting along with Paladins, and Inquisitors in particular - but I've never had any trouble with Heironeous. I'm Reacher Wordsmith, not much in the way of titles, just a humble bard." She gives him a wink, "I do hope we'll be friends."

"I normally go by Bert, Brother Gilbert or 'Medic!'. I'm sure you'll have countless tales to tell if we're venturing to together, I look forward to them." he says grandly, trying to but Nevek's memories behind him for now.

Does that mean you're off the soul-sauce? I do know I get a bit cranky myself if I don't have a zombie or two every now and then.I hope you'll tell me about the name change, sometime soon." She gives Ascent a quick, less showy smile, "I still remember your lessons, and they've served me well."

"Wait.. what?"

Silver Night
2014-07-26, 02:07 AM
Reacher

At Gilbert's question, Reacher turns upon him a green-eyed gaze, wide and innocent, "What what?"

Rendel Nep
2014-07-26, 02:35 AM
You say 'have a zombie or two' like you either eat them or you know...either way that's not natural for a gnome. Gilbert says with some concern.

Silver Night
2014-07-26, 02:52 AM
Reacher

"Oooh, that. It would be rather unnatural for a gnome - not to mention unhealthy." Reacher gestures to the various monsters already present, "Also, I would be rather the odd woman out, were I a real gnome, wouldn't I? This form is just very useful for getting around in these caves. That and I'm rather fond of it. I am an Avolakia, and for us eating the undead is both natural and healthy, so have no worries about my snacking habits. I do appreciate the concern, though!"

Lord Bayushi
2014-07-26, 12:18 PM
Nevek added telepathically, deadpan, "Fear not, fey-creature Gilbert Founderson, you would not make much of a meal." No emotions of any kind punctuated the transmitted words.

Continuing verbally with the others, "If we have all been summoned by the wyrm-creature, it stands to reason that we all have more in common, though perhaps it was because of past associations alone. Could the wyrm-creature be seeking to do harm to all of the tanar-ri Ascent-of-Man's and Reacher Wordsmith's past associates as well as themselves? Have the two of you caused the wyrm-creature reason for ire?"

Silver Night
2014-07-26, 01:39 PM
Reacher

"I don't believe I've done anything to give offense - not so much as a dirty limerick. It would leave Brother Gilbert to be explained as well, as I don't know him and I don't think Ascent-of-Man does either. I think it best to proceed on the assumption that we are not going to be murdered, as if we are on the bad side of the Dragon it's probably too late to run, and she probably wouldn't bother summoning all of us."

whoiam
2014-07-26, 02:10 PM
Drow via Tongues, to Gulkyreth: "I became a Demon in the Abyss. My memories go back further than that. Not all Demons started off as such. And that's about as much as I care to get into that particular subject." Switching straight back into common, she continues with "It's not quite as simple as sleep with a Succubus and be damned to the Abyss. For some of the more... 'righteous'... deities, sleeping with a Succubus is sin enough. The particulars change between religions, but the goal is always to tempt the mortal into doing something their deity cannot or will not forgive them for. That's what damns them. The problem we have with Zaurus is that he's perfectly happy to forgive 'salacious contact with evil outsiders'. Believe me, I slept with like a dozen of his priests before I worked that one out! ...Admittedly, Pasha was the summoned entertainment for a party - I think one of them had gotten promoted, or maybe it was a military victory? I had other things on my mind than politics at the time..."

Succubus Intelligence Gathering was fun!

Still common, quietly, to Reacher: "Of course! I wouldn't have taught anything that wasn't useful in some way. Not to you, anyway. I've taught rubbish to plenty of mortals. That's what they get for asking for knowledge from a Demon, really. As for souls, I'm keeping my kisses to myself while I'm in the Deep Pits. Up on the surface strangers are fair game. They're just not priority number one right now..."

Back up to normal volume, Ascent picks up with the story of the Goat. "No-one likes seeing dinner re-animate itself, even if it does add 'texture' to the meat. Still, if they'd thrown a more interesting festival I might have tried to stop you... or resisted the urge to tell the Butcher it must be after revenge... You know, I went back there a century later? Half the village was still strict vegetarian, utterly terrified of the thought of eating meat..."

To Nevek, Ascent replied with "Honestly, if I had somehow managed to offend a Dragon by my studious, centuries long practice of not targetting dragons, I doubt her response would be to summon me into her presence at the same time as several people more likely to cover my escape than aid her vengeance. I'm pretty sure that if she had murder on her mind - well, our murder, anyway - she'd have summoned us separately so there was no chance of us aiding one another."

Rendel Nep
2014-07-27, 11:29 AM
Thanks, I think... I would hope that my righteousness would sour the experience. He thinks a quick retort.

I'm probably just being paranoid but I know that the fist of valor and all the various evil dragons have a bad history. They burn down a village, we sponsor an adventurer party or two out to kill the offfender, and so forth and so forth but it wasn't all out genocide. I'm just wouldn't be surprised if a millennial black dragon bared a grudge. He points out verbally via common.

Prehysterical
2014-07-27, 12:51 PM
Things are way different underground. There is no sun or moon to tell you what time of day it is. Why bother having a set schedule?

Shifting from the rocky patch he slept in, Nigel the troll lifts himself up and yawns. The sound is more akin to a growl than someone waking up. Scratching his neck, he raises his armorclad body up from his makeshift bed. The softly shining mithral plate that covers him seems at odds with his bestial appearance. Smacking his lips, he reaches for his magical provisions box. First things first.

After downing a breakfast that could feed two squads of Zarite soldiers, Nigel grabs his special club, Crusher. Or would Gatecrasher be a better name? The troll could never make up his mind on that. All he knew was that if he kept the weapon's original name, "Dwarfcrusher", his new hosts might take offense.

Nigel had come to this underground kingdom after hearing that non-humans had actually set up something similar to a commune. It had taken a great deal of negotiating on his part, but the pressure of these desperate times finally got the bearded folk to let the giantkin in. His strength had come in handy during cave-ins and demolishing old sections to cover the resistance's tracks. After a hard day's work, the troll finally relaxed by cooking great feasts from the mushrooms, giant gecko, and roots that some brought him. While the other residents were all smiles while he was handing out the grub, they would once again be on edge the next morning when they were around him.

Recalling the dream that had awoken him, he couldn't help but shudder. The one thing a troll fears is a dragon that can breathe fire or acid, and Big Boss Dragon Lady definitely fit the bill. What have I done to twist her knackers, he couldn't help but wonder. He had tried to be a model citizen, but the dwarves still found it difficult to forget old hatreds. Throwing his club over his shoulder, Nigel began making his way through the tunnels. Might as well find out what this is about.

Moving through the tunnels, he finally reaches a larger chamber. There he sees a large floating stone... thing, a little gnome, a little flying fairy, a drider lady with a slight sight problem, and a winged red-skinned... He does a double-take. Blimey, she is naked! Freaks and weirdos, that's all there is down 'ere if you ain't a dwarf. Realizing that he can't squeeze past them, especially the big unidentifiable Thing, Nigel speaks up. While his voice is just as deep and gravelly as anyone would expect, the intelligence behind is clear.

"'Cuse me, you lot, but I need to get through 'ere. Big Boss Dragon Lady wants to have a word with me."

Silver Night
2014-07-27, 01:11 PM
Reacher

Back up to normal volume, Ascent picks up with the story of the Goat. "No-one likes seeing dinner re-animate itself, even if it does add 'texture' to the meat. Still, if they'd thrown a more interesting festival I might have tried to stop you... or resisted the urge to tell the Butcher it must be after revenge... You know, I went back there a century later? Half the village was still strict vegetarian, utterly terrified of the thought of eating meat..."

Reacher laughs uproariously "Oh, well, who can expect a civilized Avolakia to eat dead meat. An' you're right about their festivals - I expect it's the most excitement they had in years when that goat up and started chasing people around."

"'Cuse me, you lot, but I need to get through 'ere. Big Boss Dragon Lady wants to have a word with me."

"In that you are not alone, my friend. Everyone here seems to have received a summons. We are all just out here getting acquainted (or reacquainted) and girding our loins (or equivalent anatomy) for the encounter with the great and terrible lizard. We all seem to have an ax to grind with the humans." Reacher smiles and executes a courtly bow, "I am Reacher Wordsmith, and I am a bard. This is also not my natural form - I am an Avolakia. This is just more useful for getting around."

I'm probably just being paranoid but I know that the fist of valor and all the various evil dragons have a bad history. They burn down a village, we sponsor an adventurer party or two out to kill the offfender, and so forth and so forth but it wasn't all out genocide. I'm just wouldn't be surprised if a millennial black dragon bared a grudge. He points out verbally via common.

"Take heart that whatever her grudge against you, what the Zarusites have been doing is all out genocide."

Vertharrad
2014-07-27, 01:58 PM
Looking the new addition up and down, sizing him up. We have all been summoned by Madam General Gahriar. For what purpose we don't know...yet.

Turning to Gilbert. Everyone of us for whatever other reason happens to be here because we also have a common enemy. I'm sure that the Madam General wouldn't waste what precious resources she has gathered by killing us. If she wanted to do that why not send us on a suicide mission where we might at least take out a few more Zarites?

Lord Bayushi
2014-07-27, 11:25 PM
Nevek rotates, taking in the newly arrived troll for a few seconds before turning back around. "Perhaps the wyrm-creature simply wants to clear the tunnels of anything that is not a dwarf-walker? There is little that we all share in common, aside from our summons. As we are all unaware of what is on the wyrm-creature's mind, further discussion on that matter would seem to be pointless. What remains is what we are to do about it."

It began to circle slowly, looking at each one in the tunnel in turn. "It would seem that most of you are of the opinion that the wyrm-creature should be given a chance to explain it's intentions. While my own insights urge caution, I will not flee while the rest of you confront the wyrm-creature. As such, it would seem that we follow whatever protocol appropriate for an audience with the ruler of this society. Would any of you have any information to share on that matter?"

Rendel Nep
2014-07-28, 02:45 AM
Lets see. Typically you bow or curtsy depending on your gender upon introduction but that really depends on how formal the occasion is. I'm not not sure how you're supposed to perform ssuch a gesture. though. If it's a full blown, trumpets blaring with heralds affair, I think we're supposed to take or do a curtsey as we enter a room and remain so until we're formally addressed. If it's not, a quick gesture should be acceptable and Oh and we're supposed to address her as 'Lady' unless she advises us else wise. I think that covers most of it. Oh and she offer her front paw, you're supposed to give it a quick kiss. Gilbert explains.

Do you want a demonstration? Perhaps one of the ladies would willing to assist? He asks, gesturing to Ascent of Man, Gulklyreth and Reacher.

whoiam
2014-07-28, 07:19 AM
Ascent's response to Gilbert was very flat. Even without any kind of mindlink, you could probably tell that she was biting back the desire to give a rather more colorful reply. "...You are aware there's a difference between meeting an Elder Dragon in her cave and meeting some human Princess in her Castle, yes?"

Slowly transitioning to a more welcoming tone, Ascent goes on to provide a correction to the group. "The protocol for meeting a Dragon is much simpler. Bow, act respectful - and yes, I'm aware of the irony involved in me telling someone to act respectful - do not show off your magical or psionic powers unless asked to do so, do not touch her hoard, and try not to suggest the sacrifice of Virgins because we might need our Pixie later. Also it might annoy her. Useful as stereotypes are for joke-telling purposes, no-one really likes being the 'victim'."

After a moment's thought, she finishes with "Since you don't really have a waist like the rest of us, Nevek, I'd suggest orienting yourself so that your front is pointing down at the floor in front of her. 'Kneel or Lay on the floor, looking down' is how most surface cultures train their quadrupeds to show obeisance. It's probably not perfect, but it should be workable... and let's be honest, Dragon-Abeloth social protocols aren't exactly my specialist area."

Vertharrad
2014-07-28, 08:27 AM
Seeing as how we've covered protocols for this audiance, how about we announce ourselves already? Waiting out here speculating isn't going to get us anywhere. I'm curious to find out what Gahriar requires of us.

Prehysterical
2014-07-28, 12:38 PM
Standing around as the others debate the particulars of dragon visiting protocol, the troll nods at the drider's words. "Too right. Dragons 'ave got surprisin'ly little patience for somethin' that can get so damn old. Let's get on with it, if we are all for the stewpot. Maybe I should have brought 'er somethin' to nibble on, keep 'er occupied..." The troll pauses and scratches his chin as he considers what sort of item a black dragon might find appealing. Rotisserie giant scorpion, maybe?

Silver Night
2014-07-28, 04:23 PM
Reacher

"We are, by my guess, a bit early still. Shouldn't hurt to head in that general direction. Excuse me while I change into something a bit more roomy, since the tunnels around here are a bit larger." Reacher carefully sets down her pack and adjusts some of her clothing, and changes into a (short) female elf with bronzed skin and pale hair - but still the same green eyes. She picks the pack back up, "I'll have to pick up a bigger wardrobe if I'm going to be going human."

She turns toward the way into the dragon's lair, "Shall we?"

Lord Bayushi
2014-07-29, 05:05 PM
Nevek simply begins to float in the direction indicated, while keeping it's orientation pointed at the group. "It would seem that your advice on protocol amounts to supplication to the wyrm-creature, a dangerous behavior when dealing with predators. The most common form of association with such creatures among Aboleth is handled via proxy, which is an option I find less appealing than other Aboleth. I no longer keep thralls for extended periods, though I suppose that, in this case, one might be warranted, where the wyrm-creature not to have specifically requested a meeting in person."

It seems to ponder the idea for a moment longer, then continues. "No, a thrall could be construed as an insult under the circumstances. None the less, supplication would seem ill-advised based on my extended knowledge of the nature of wyrm-creatures, respect can be shown without astutely showing weakness and timidity." It raises a tentacle to punctuate a thought. "The troll-walker has a good idea, perhaps an offering would be in order, a show of thanks for hospitality. A bauble for the wyrm-creature's hoard, perhaps? Are there any within the tunnels familiar enough with the wyrm-Gahriar's tastes so that an appropriate one might be identified?"

whoiam
2014-07-29, 05:56 PM
"I... you... that's...." There's a brief pause before Ascent continues with her reply. Those looking closely at her (well, at her lips) would notice that the brief pause involves several very rude words being mouthed in Infernal. When she continues, it's in a very precise, even clipped tone, that speaks pretty clearly to how much she still wants to be swearing. "When dealing with Dragons, the most dangerous behaviour of all is any behaviour that the Dragon might consider to be either a threat or a challenge to that Dragon's position of dominance. Incidentally, any Dragon physically larger than you are will assume itself to be in a position of dominance, until proven otherwise, because that's how draconic society works. And by 'proven otherwise', I of course mean you need to be able to win a fight against them. So, unless you really want to inadvertently challenge her to a fight, showing supplication is actually a really good idea.

But if you would rather act in a manner suitable for boosting your own ego rather than one appropriate to hers, you go right ahead. Specifically, you go 50 or so meters ahead, so that whatever she throws at you if she decides you're being disrespectful doesn't hit any of the rest of us."

As she turns back to addressing the others, Ascent's tone quickly moves back towards being friendly. "I've got a few spare sets of human-sized clothing, dear. You can borrow one of mine until we can find an excuse to get you booked in with a tailor...

Bringing Gahriar a gift would have been a good idea, but I think it's a little late to act on it now, sadly. I don't think she'll appreciate us keeping her waiting longer just so we can go shopping..."

Silver Night
2014-07-29, 10:09 PM
Reacher

As she turns back to addressing the others, Ascent's tone quickly moves back towards being friendly. "I've got a few spare sets of human-sized clothing, dear. You can borrow one of mine until we can find an excuse to get you booked in with a tailor...

Bringing Gahriar a gift would have been a good idea, but I think it's a little late to act on it now, sadly. I don't think she'll appreciate us keeping her waiting longer just so we can go shopping..."

"My policy is that being polite never hurts, even to predators, and especially if those predators can drown me in acid with an ill-timed sneeze. Embarrassing way to go, that. Anyway, if she ate everyone that cowered in front of her, there'd be hardly anyone left in the caves, so I suppose it must not be an instant ticket to doom." Reacher idly whistles a few bars of a popular tavern song, the lyrics to which cannot be reproduced here, "Thank you, Ascent, that would be lovely. I am in your debt once again it seems. I don't think I have more than perhaps one outfit that would be a suitable size. Do you still have the same taste in clothes, or has your style changed along with your name?"

Prehysterical
2014-07-30, 02:16 PM
As the troll tags along at the back of the group, fully realizing the diverse group in front of him, a thought occurs to him as he listens to the pixie.

"Oi, Fairyboy, you're a knight, right? Do you know a fairy princess by the name of Cierrah? Blue hair, one of them winter fairies?"

Rendel Nep
2014-07-30, 04:50 PM
Gilbert flies to the back of the group and answers immediately.

"Can't say I do. My parents left me on the steps of the Heironeousian mission in Dawnguard. Apparently they did it to make me a hero. Of course I had to be the one to find them and tell them to flee their forest because the Zarites were coming. Guess they were right. Regardless, I can't say I know anything about the Courts. Why? Is she a friend of yours?"

Prehysterical
2014-07-30, 11:20 PM
Nigel's face contorts briefly as he debates how much to actually reveal.

"...Yeah. We got separated a while back when some of those damned Zarites bushwhacked us. Haven't seen a hair or heard a whisper of her since. Was hopin' that if she really was a princess, the fairyfolk would all be lookin' for 'er, wot?"

His brows descend lower into a scowl as Gilbert's earlier words finally register properly. "Wait, yer mum left you on the doorstep so you could be some 'hero'? Wot the hell kinda sense does that make? That's like those orcs leavin' their babes with wolves and 'opin' that they grow up stronger. Bloody hell, what stopped 'em from just lettin' yew go to church or somewot and doin' it that way?" He shakes his head disapprovingly.

Vertharrad
2014-07-31, 12:25 AM
Gulklyreth smiles mischievously at what Nigel said about orc babies and wolves. I'd say if those orclings made it past childhood much less being a snack it would be a miracle. I'm also curious why a fairie would leave their offspring at a church to a human god. Aren't you fairies also persecuted by human adventurers? They tend to hate anything different from them.

Lord Bayushi
2014-07-31, 12:45 PM
At her stuttering, Nevek made a suggestion, "You seem to be having trouble with this form of verbal communication, tanar-ri Ascent-of-Man. Are you certain you wouldn't prefer another method of communications?"

It continued to drift beside the others as long as the space in the caverns allowed. "I have had a great deal of experience with predators of all descriptions in my time in exile, and the one thing that they all have in common is that they look upon anything that supplicates itself to it as a meal, or a potential meal, rather than anything to be considered more carefully. It isn't a matter of ego, so much as one of safety, but I shall be sure to place myself as far away from the others as space shall allow, should you prefer supplication."

Silver Night
2014-07-31, 01:11 PM
Reacher

Gilbert flies to the back of the group and answers immediately.

"Can't say I do. My parents left me on the steps of the Heironeousian mission in Dawnguard. Apparently they did it to make me a hero. Of course I had to be the one to find them and tell them to flee their forest because the Zarites were coming. Guess they were right. Regardless, I can't say I know anything about the Courts. Why? Is she a friend of yours?"

"The foundling hero is a rather ancient story - though I can't say that a pixie protagonist is the usual. Legends generally have the fey more in the habit of obtaining infants rather than donating them." Reacher gives Gilbert a serious look, "It must have been rather difficult, though, growing up that way?"

Nigel's face contorts briefly as he debates how much to actually reveal.

"...Yeah. We got separated a while back when some of those damned Zarites bushwhacked us. Haven't seen a hair or heard a whisper of her since. Was hopin' that if she really was a princess, the fairyfolk would all be lookin' for 'er, wot?"

"Perhaps we will run across her, if we are sent out there. Fey are nothing if not clever about hiding."

It continued to drift beside the others as long as the space in the caverns allowed. "I have had a great deal of experience with predators of all descriptions in my time in exile, and the one thing that they all have in common is that they look upon anything that supplicates itself to it as a meal, or a potential meal, rather than anything to be considered more carefully. It isn't a matter of ego, so much as one of safety, but I shall be sure to place myself as far away from the others as space shall allow, should you prefer supplication."

Reacher winks at Nevek, "I expect that will be fine with us as well - an experiment to see who, if anyone, gets eaten. How exciting!"

Rendel Nep
2014-08-01, 11:19 AM
I was born 30 years before the Zarusian Crusade, back then the majority of humans weren't crazed zealots. Nominally humanoid races didn't face universal prosecution back then so I was relatively safe and apparently adorable up until the Zarites and their empire rose up. But yeah, having what you thought of as your own people turn on you was not pleasant. You know their reasoning? my ancestors must have "consorted with insects" because of these. Gilbert answers point to his wings.

As to why my parents thought it was a good idea, I don't really understand myself. I sort of got the impression they might have done it for the sake of my health of all things. I have to admit I'm actually relatively frail and weak even for a pixie. Maybe they knew something about the future but regardless of what it was, I harbor no grudge toward them. They gave me up as a sacrifice to Heironeous and I gladly serve in my role. He continues.

THEChanger
2014-08-03, 12:08 AM
As the six of you walk down the steadily widening tunnels which lead towards Lady Gahriar's chambers, the reverberations of the noontide gong slowly filter down through the rock to your various auditory sensors. As the group rounds a corner, you come face to face with a pair of massive stone double doors. They have been carved, relatively recently it seems, with the curling image of a great black dragon circled around a mountain, two massive emerald eyes gleaming in the torchlight, and each of you have the slightly disquieting sensation that the green stones, despite being mineral rather than biological, are indeed watching your movement.

A more practical concern are the two dwarves standing guard in front of the doors. Each bear the distinctive black scales and curling horns which mark them as being descendant of your host's line - though Gahriar herself likely did not lower herself to mating with the dwarves, leaving that task to some of her younger sons and daughters. Dressed in full plate made of stone, and each carrying large spears made from a massive fang, they glower at you from beneath their scaly brow-ridges. Or, perhaps that is simply what their faces look like. One approaches, and gruffly addresses you all in Dwarven. "The Mistress is expecting you. All weapons must be placed in our care while within Her Ladyship's chamber, and all active enchantments dismissed. The Aboleth may continue floating, for ease of movement."

Silver Night
2014-08-03, 12:55 AM
Reacher

Reacher complies, handing over her bow, sword, and quite a few daggers. She smiles winningly, "I hope it is permissible for me to keep this form? I have trouble speaking with anyone who isn't another Avolakia in my natural shape."

Vertharrad
2014-08-03, 02:11 AM
Gulklyreth suffers the indignity in solemn silence as she hands over her quiver and large longspear. She has this bored look like she's had to do this before and it's novelty has worn off a long time ago. In dwarven I have no enchantments active currently.

whoiam
2014-08-03, 06:54 AM
As of the last time they'd met, Reacher hadn't been able to speak Dwarven. While Ascent didn't know if that was still the case or not, she provided the translation anyway.

Common: "Hand them your weapons and dismiss any active magic. Except for Nevek's flight. I guess even the Dwarves think he's pretty slow when he's not using it..."

Ascent was quite happy to hand over her Rapier. She only owned one because it was useful when pretending to be human - it was more of a prop than an actual weapon. Dismissing her active Superior Resistance, however? She wasn't happy about that. Still, she'd meant what she'd said earlier (about 'challenging' their host being the best way to start a fight), so she did obey.

Abyssal: "Day-long duration and I have to dismiss it 20 minutes after I cast it. How wonderful..."

By this point Reacher had finished stripping herself of daggers, and the reply was in common as well... so it looked like she still hadn't learned Dwarven. Ah, well.

Dwarven: "My Avolakia friend requests that she be permitted to keep the enchantment holding her in her current shape. Would this be acceptable?"

Common: "If any of you need a translator inside, let me know."

Rendel Nep
2014-08-03, 07:28 AM
Gilbert looked a liitle bit unsure before Ascent-of-man spoke up.

Common: "I was about to ask. Please, Translate away."

He then hands over his bow, quiver and his two sheathed blades.

This probably means you have to dismiss the mind-link. If we end up working together, I wouldn't mind using it more often. It's quite potent tactically.

Lord Bayushi
2014-08-03, 12:02 PM
Recognizing the guttural tones only as those the other dwarf-walkers used among themselves, Nevek stared blankly, about to extend a Mind Link before the tanar-ri's translation. It replied to her in common. "The methods by which I normally travel would have the capacity to collapse the walker-tunnels, so this is a courtesy I understand."

Nevek mused quietly as the others disarmed themselves, wondering what a great wyrm-creature would possibly have to fear from such small metal trinkets, when it's own hide turned most away without any difficulty. In Aboleth society, a Savant meeting openly with others would never show such weakness as to imply it had anything to fear from the lesser creatures (or lesser Aboleth) or whatever items they may have acquired. It wondered how this was different in the tunnel-dweller society, but, not knowing the lingual skills of the guards, decided to keep the thought to itself for the time being.

It waited patiently for the others to comply with the demands of the guards, renewing it's ability to levitate as needed, and maintaining his mental tether with the fey knight until the last moment possible. "Indeed. It is as most Aboleth prefer to communicate when it is possible, more efficient in every way than verbal methods."

Prehysterical
2014-08-03, 02:38 PM
Glowering at the half-dragon dwarves, Nigel drums his fingers on the handle of Crusher. Reluctantly, he hands the club over and replies in Common,

"Did you hear that, lads and lasses? Big Boss Dragon Lady is worried that someone might try to off 'er in 'er own home. She sounds a little sen-si-tive to me."

whoiam
2014-08-03, 03:21 PM
Common, rather patiently: "Alternately, it's more to protect us than to protect her. I doubt there are many down here that could challenge her in a fight - however, there are plenty who would be tempted to try. There's a chance, you see, that any one group down here could save themselves from Humanity by sacrificing the rest of us. Gahriar would have to die for that to work, so even if the plan is impractical, many beings here who still have kin or lives left to lose would be tempted to try striking her. Take it from an expert - if you dangle a valuable enough prize in front of someone's eyes they'll go for it, however stupid they would be to try. The best way to avoid such incidents is to ensure no-one feels themselves in a position to make the attempt. Remove the temptation, or sooner or later, someone will succumb."

Ascent didn't really know what to make of Nigel, which is why he'd drawn a rather pleasant response from her. Also a completely honest one - stabbing allies in the back to serve one's own purposes was basically demonic nature. She wasn't tempted to try now because... well, more or less everyone she'd be tempted to fight a dragon to protect would be in the firing line if she started a fight. And humanity couldn't give her what she wanted anyway, so why make life easy for them?

Rendel Nep
2014-08-04, 08:29 AM
Also she's an ancient dragon Anything other than a natural death now would just be embarrassing.

THEChanger
2014-08-05, 12:53 AM
As each of the six surrenders their weapons and magic in turn, the dwarves carefully set the weapons into a series of notches cut into the stone of the wall. Once they are satisfied, they push open the twin doors, a slight wind blowing past you into the yawning darkness beyond.

Passing through the doorway, you step out onto a stone platform overlooking a massive pit. Only a small amount of light flickers in from the torches in the tunnels, but it is just enough to make out a fair amount of your surroundings. The walls of the cavern have strange ripples and waves, as though the rock had been melted into its current shape, rather than carved. Far, far beneath you, massive piles of gold, jewels, brilliantly crafted weapons and exquisite paintings and sculptures glitter and gleam, a shinning desert of gilded dunes. And far, far above you, amidst the stalactites of black rock, cling the sleeping forms of a might dragonic host. Black dragons, hanging like bats, perhaps one or two hundred of varying sizes. The largest of the sleeping dragons might be as big as Nevek, with most being smaller. Certainly, none of those are grand enough to be your-

From below, you hear the sound of shifting metal. Slowly, a large portion of treasure sifts away, as a massive loop of black-scaled neck begins to pull itself from under the horde. Yard upon yard of muscle slowly unveils itself, until finally the great horned head of Lady Gahriar the Cruel rises from her jewel-covered sleeping place. You can tell that she is a massive creature, her body likely filling the whole bottom of this cavern. The head brings itself to eye level with the six of you, and Gahriar opens her massive lids, the solid orbs of green gazing not so much at you as through you. She speaks, far more softly than her mighty frame would suggest, barely a whisper to your ears Despite the language obviously being Dragonic, each of you understand precisely what the great wyrm is saying.

"Nevek'Jethixur, Aboleth Exile. Gulklyreth, Forsaken of the Drow. Reacher Wordsmith, Avolakia Tale-Bearer. Nigel, Troll. Ascent-Of-Man, Temptress. Gilbert Founderson, Pixie Knight. We welcome each of you to Our chambers. Normally, We would lay a proper feast for such distinguished guests, but the business We must discuss with you is most pressing. Still, for those who desire it, please have a seat, and refreshments." The stone beneath your feet rumbles, and five chairs, each sized and shaped appropriately for the five who sit, rise from below you. For Nevek, a resting post of sorts, shaped to support its tail and tentacles, also appears. A younger dragon, about the size of a dwarf, flits down from the ceiling to the horde below, and fetches each of you a goblet, filling it with wine.

Silver Night
2014-08-05, 01:01 AM
Reacher

"You are most kind, Milady." Reacher sips her wine, "Thank you for honoring us with your invitation."

Vertharrad
2014-08-05, 08:29 AM
Although it galls her to show obeisance to anyone Gulklyreth bows as respectfully as possible with 8 legs. I appreciate your consideration Lady Gahriar. Even though the ring provides her enough sustenance she gets some refreshments to show her respect and appreciation, then takes a seat nearby and waits for the great dragon to get to the point of why they're here.

Prehysterical
2014-08-05, 12:26 PM
Nigel sits in the chair, armor clanking, and takes his goblet from the young dragon. Looking at it for a moment to appraise the color, he takes a whiff of the aroma. The sound is more akin to working bellows in a forge. For once, his troll heritage aids him as his powerful sense of smell allows him pick up finer hints of the flavor. While his primary obsession is with food, Nigel recognizes that a good drink can make or break a dinner.

"Wot's this then? Some of that 'oney wine those elves used to make? Or did yew actually get yer claws on a vineyard?"

Rendel Nep
2014-08-05, 07:50 PM
Gilbert lands on his seat and tries be as dignified as one can manage with their legs dangling over the side of the chair.

"Thank you mi'lady. I must admit I could do with some lunch and admit I am eager to find out why we were summoned" He says eyeing the size of the goblet.

whoiam
2014-08-06, 06:58 AM
Draconic: "We are at your service, Elder Gahriar."

Ascent ignored the offer of wine - she didn't need it, and right now she didn't feel much like indulging, either - but accepted the offered chair. She sat oddly - cross-legged on top of her own feet, wings hung over the back, and her tail curved around her right side with the tip in her lap. She appeared to be fidgeting with her tail as she waited for the others to quiet down and the instructions to begin.

As she'd explained in the past, sitting normally in a chair was less comfortable when you had wings and a tail. She sat normally on stools, but always either shapeshifted or perched on chairs with backs. Today appeared to be a perching day.

Refusing drink was an odd behaviour for her. Ascent usually used her poison resistance to enjoy rather more alcohol than her size and build would suggest possible. Usually, when she refused, it meant she was thinking about something... hard.

Playing with her tail usually means Ascent is nervous. Although considering the size of the Dragon they're speaking with, that's fairly understandable.

Lord Bayushi
2014-08-06, 04:06 PM
Nevek looked at the odd support that had been created for it for a moment, then floated over beside it, staying at about the height that it would have been at had it decided to 'sit.' It wasn't sure exactly why walker-creatures preferred to incline themselves in furniture, but it wasn't in Aboleth nature, and seemed that it wouldn't be very comfortable when compared with floating on it's own psionic cushion.

"Thank you for your greeting, wyrm-creature Gahriar. Please, tell us of the urgent business of which you speak."

THEChanger
2014-08-07, 01:19 AM
Once everyone appears seated comfortably, Gahriar nods to Nigel. "It is, indeed, elven wine. But, onto the matter at hand. Each of you knows, of course, of the sudden rise to power Zarus' forces some three hundred years ago. What you do not know is why."

Before you, the wyrm creates the image of a glowing orb of solid gold, carved with the image of a curling dragon. "This is the Golden Orb of Dragonkind. There are nine others like it, one for each of the major colors of dragon. In ancient times, when the Dragonflights and the High Elves were at war, a cabal of elven mages created these weapons, using the imprisoned souls of ten of the most ancient dragons. Each orb can call upon the power of those ancient dragons, but their most fearsome power is their ability to bend dragons of the same color to the wielder's will." Gahriar growls a little at the memory, but continues. "We were only able to succeed by stealing the Golden Orb, which has the power to control the other wielders. A ceasefire was called, which turned into a lasting peace. We sealed the Orbs away, for we did not know how to destroy them, and at the time the elves would not help us."

Now the image changes, showing a group of humans swimming to an underwater temple. "Three hundred and fifty years ago, a group of humans loyal to Zarus entered the temple where the Golden Orb was kept. They succeeded in recovering it, and before anyone could stop them, they had taken complete control of the Golden Dragonflight. With that added power, the other nine Orbs were taken." The image changes once again, to show the Grand Temple of Zarus in the capital city of Rhodan. "The bastard priest D'Camillo conducted some kind of ritual, here, using the orbs. What, we do not know, only that this was the catalyst for their sudden power."

The illusion fades. "Most of the dragonflights are now under the control of the Zarites. Most of Our family was able to escape capture, hiding here. The White Dragonflight fled north, and the Brass Dragonflight hides even now within the Blackwood, though we have spoken to neither in some time. The Red Dragonflight, rather than subject itself to the horror of being controlled again, flew to a dragon into the ocean. Unfortunately, this did not stop D'Camillo from recovering-" Gahriar has been speaking faster and faster, and realizes she is losing her composure. She takes a deep breath, and continues, calm again. "From recovering Lord Balthazar's corpse. The other six Dragonflights are, for the most part, under Zarite command."

Now Gahriar smiles a little. "Recently, our allies in Ash uncovered the old rituals which made the Orbs, and now know how to destroy them. Which is where you six come in. The Black Orb is being kept in the city of Blackstone, only a few days from here. We require your aid in this matter. We cannot retrieve the Orb ourselves, for it would be used upon us. Therefore, we ask that you six secure the Orb, preferably attracting as little attention as possible, and bring it to the mage Brukket, who is currently leading the elves in the city of Ash. There, he can destroy it, allowing Our family to once more take to the skies."

Prehysterical
2014-08-07, 01:44 AM
Nigel had never been fond of dragons. They had a bad tendency to ruin the neighborhood and control the lives of those around them. These "orbs", however, sounded like the worst fate a race could suffer.

Putting a grim face on, the troll knocks back his goblet of wine like a shot of liquor and stands tall before his host.

"Don't yew worry, Big Boss. We'll get that orb back. But two questions first:

One: Wot kind of a name is 'Brukket' fer an elf?

And two: wot about tarjit... tarbit..."

The troll stops counting points off of his claws. He mumbles for a bit, looking upward, before snapping them in realization.

"Targets! Targets of oppertunity! Any chance we can do a little extra smashin' on their supply lines or officers?"

whoiam
2014-08-07, 02:13 AM
Quietly: "...Who wants to offer me odds on the outcome of the ritual with the Orbs of Dragonkind being an Orb of Humankind? In all it's existence, Humanity has never fully agreed on anything before. If they made a means of controlling the minds of the rest of humanity en masse..."

So wish I'd thought of that a millennium ago...

At a more normal volume: "We should probably try and keep ourselves under control. Staging attacks on secondary targets might lower the guard around the primary - briefly - but it's more likely to just put them on high alert and get them calling for reinforcements. Once the orbs are out of Zaurus' reach you can go hit whatever you like... but until then, we need to be a little more careful."

Silver Night
2014-08-07, 02:39 AM
Reacher

Reacher carefully conceals her discomfort at being eye to eye with an ancient black dragon at the edge of her composure, "I cannot speak for the others, my Lady, but for myself, I'm in. Is there any information about who and what guards the orb?" she nods toward Ascent, "Indeed, it might draw attention if we were to smash everything on the way in. Of course, once they know the orb is missing, the situation might change. And once we see the situation on the ground, we may need to factor such distractions in to make a workable plan for retrieving it."

Vertharrad
2014-08-07, 03:16 AM
Leisurely sipping the wine from the goblet, Gulklyreth digests what Lady Gahriar has emparted to them. She looks around and takes note of the moods and stance that the others are taking before proceeding. Milady you couldn't keep me away from this, any chance to make these humans look the fools would be more than welcome to me. So much better if it aids our own efforts as well. I agree with Ascent and the others stealth and guile would avail us better when we approach the target, there will be enough time for destruction once they know their efforts have been in vain. I would rather they not know we we're ever there at all. Do you know what awaits us in Blackstone?

Rendel Nep
2014-08-07, 08:22 AM
Gilbert's excitement is almost tangible. He swallows deeply and turns away from the table.

A quiet Yes! comes from the pixie before he turns back around and with a grin on his mouth he asks

Did the possibly of me refusing ever enter you mind because I literally can't entertain any thought of saying no. I do have a few questions of my own, though.

Lord Bayushi
2014-08-07, 02:06 PM
The floating Aboleth considered for a moment while the others spoke, finally voicing it's own thoughts. "Strange that you would trust those that you hardly know or trust with an object capable of bending you and your brood to our will, Wyrm-creature. The memories of my kind warn me that your kind is not known for being so trusting. What prompts such desperation, or is there more that we are not being told?"

"Also, some of us are far less subtle than others, it is unlikely that we could all infiltrate the guarded areas of a walker-metropolis without raising an alarm of some kind. Most of us seem ill-suited for this kind of an undertaking."

It crossed it's tendrils before it, bringing the points together in a steeple. "As the walker-creatures say, the pieces do not fit."

whoiam
2014-08-07, 02:37 PM
For once, Ascent's response to Nevek isn't hostile in the least. From her tone of voice, it would seem that her mind's mostly elsewhere. Presumably considering what they're about to do...

"Dragons won't go for the orbs while the orb of their own color is still in enemy hands. It's too dangerous, especially as their hold gets stronger the closer the Dragon is to them.

They also won't want to attack too openly while humanity still has access to any of the orbs because there are probably more than enough controlled Dragons to put down the 'free' Dragons. Gold Dragons were always the strongest breed, wyrm-for-wyrm, followed by Red and Silver. In a fight between Dragonflights, those three would always be the big winners. One of them committed mass suicide, and Zaurus controls the other two.... Black, White and Brass wouldn't survive long in a pitched battle. So there's no head-on assaults in the cards unless we can free at least one of the Gold and Silver Dragons, preferably both.

As to getting in, it's not as hopeless as you think. I've got a spell that would make all of us appear to be humans for... 10, 11 hours a casting. I could probably stretch to two castings a day, which should be enough to let us move around in a human city for as long as it takes us to plan our actions. As an alternative, I could... Baleful Polymorph you and Gulkyreth so we could smuggle you inside as pets. Shove Gilbert into a pocket, dress ...uh, was it Nigel? ... up as our slave labour-troll, then Reacher and I just put on our Bard outfits and stroll right in the gates. ...It's probably more comfortable for the rest of you if we just use the illusion spell, but you'll have to be able to act human if you don't want to arouse suspicion. We can teach you, don't worry."

Rendel Nep
2014-08-07, 09:57 PM
Shove me in your pocket? I'm not sure if it's the setup to some crude joke where the guard asks you "Is that dead infant you're trying to smuggle or..." well, whatever but I doubt I could conceal myself among your person even if I wanted to. Besides I can turn invisible at will. I'd much prefer to avoid your pockets, Ascent-of-Man. Or for that matter hiding beneath your dress.

Prehysterical
2014-08-07, 10:16 PM
Nigel looks uncomfortably at Ascent-of-Man. "Does that mean I have to wear a collar? And what about me armor?"

Vertharrad
2014-08-08, 04:46 PM
Gulklyreth arches the eyebrow above her surviving eye at Ascent of Man. I know what baleful polymorph does...and I'm not going to become someones pet should the spell go wrong. I have access to illusion magic I can use myself. The only problem might be masking the clicking sounds made by my feet. If I step carefully that can probably be doable without needing magic.

whoiam
2014-08-08, 06:08 PM
Of the three respondents, Gulkyreth gets the first reply. A rather subdued "....Did you really think I would propose doing something to you I could not reverse? Or that I would turn you into an animal and leave you that way?"

She quickly drops the hurt tone as she transitions back to addressing the group. "...I did say, did I not, that I have an illusion spell that can make the entire group of us appear to be human for around 10 hours per casting? The tradeoff between the two approaches is quite simple. The Illusion is easier to pierce, because a particularly suspicious mind can do so even without the ability to detect or dispel magic. This is why it requires us all to act human. Reacher and I have experience with that, the rest of you... Well, we can give you some basic lessons, but that's about all we'll have time for.

Approaches that don't require illusions are generally safer in such situations. Although, as I previously admitted, it's a much less pleasant means of entry.

And for the record, no, I was not attempting to make a dirty joke. Well, not very hard, anyway. I was referring to the central pocket of my pack, not the pockets on my clothes."

Vertharrad
2014-08-08, 06:26 PM
Smiling amiably at Ascent. I didn't mean to imply what your intent was. I just happen to know enough that especially with spells like that intent and result can be very different. The other problem with that option is that I won't have the means to protect myself should things go wrong and we're surprised. I'm more willing to take lessons on how to act around humans than be balefuly polymorphed.

Silver Night
2014-08-08, 09:55 PM
Reacher

"Illusions also don't change your actual size, which may become an issue. However, we can nail down details once we see what we will be dealing with, and what other information we might get."

Rendel Nep
2014-08-10, 12:18 AM
I apologize for my misunderstanding. Perhaps I should be more hasty in making my accusations

THEChanger
2014-08-10, 11:33 AM
The great wyrm smiles a toothy smile at the outpouring of support - but then turns to Nevek. "I am unsurprised that you, Aboleth, are the one to voice doubts. Skepticism, lateral thinking. Valuable traits. But the reason I have chosen the six of you is very simple. Out of all the creatures who have made their home within the Deep Pits who are not my kin, you six are, by far, the strongest. In truth, I wished to include a seventh in your number, but the good almost-king Madoc Morris will not risk his line on such a venture. Though I am mighty, he is still sovereign, and I may not order him to go." Here, Gahriar pauses, and pulls her head back from the ledge. "Nor, in truth, may I order you to go, Nevek'Jethixur. You are not of my flight, and are at least as old as I. If you feel that this venture is not in your best interests, then you may go, with no bad blood between us. But to try and answer your questions further, the reason I would trust you with the Black Orb is that, should you attempt to use it against me, your own mind would quickly be consumed by the Golden Orb. For its power is far greater, and it was crafted to control not just the Gold Dragonflight, but the wielders of the other orbs as well. Indeed, it was necessary to prepare a special vessel for the Black Orb, one that will sever it from that connection." Her great tail lifts up, and presents Nigel with a backpack, sized for a troll. It appears, to each of you, to be a simple, finely crafted backpack made of leather, with a silver clasp. "It is only with this completed that this mission has any chance of victory. Anything which is stored within this pack will be placed within a nondimensional space. A very specific not-space, where divinations cannot see, and the Golden Orb's enchantments cannot touch. So long as the Black Orb is stored in this pack, you will be safe. As for infiltrating, as Ascent-Of-Man as vouched, you have a master of deception among you, and I suspect her pupils Gulklyreth and Reacher Wordsmith are quite proficient in the art as well. But you will also need your raw strength."

Another illusion rises before you, depicting a castle of jet black stone. "This is the keep of Blackstone. It is the central command for Zarite presence in what were once the dwarven lands. As best as we can tell, the Black Orb is here, kept under careful guard in the tallest tower. Perhaps a thousand of Zarus' elite troops are stationed here at any given time, along with several hundred magic-wielders. They will be a threat, but are prepared to fight against dragons. Yet another reason my kin will not be attempting this mission. But your greatest threat will be these two." The illusion now shows two humans, a woman dressed in fullplate armor, and a man in deep purple robes. "Generals Marvyn and Terra Smith. Twins, raised from birth by the church to battle together. Terra draws on some divine magic, but she is primarily a warrior, and a highly skilled one. Marvyn is a diviner, and though his frame would suggest he is frail, he is supernaturally quick. One or the other will likely be in possession of the Orb. More than this, our spies and magic have not been able to discern. Marvyn is very skilled at countering his preferred school of magic." The massive head moves to look over each of you in turn. "I cannot stress the importance of this mission enough. While they hold the Orbs, the forces of Zarus have too great an advantage. But if the other Dragonflights can be freed, then there is a fighting chance this world."

Lord Bayushi
2014-08-10, 12:39 PM
The floating creature turned it's head sidewise slightly, considering. It found it amusing, in a way, that the wyrm-creature would pride it on linear thinking, where as it's own people gauged it's thinking to be wildly chaotic and dangerous. "The Zarusites seek to enthrall their own kind with this venture, even Aboleth, despised and feared by most, would not consider performing such an act. I have no wish to see all of the human-walkers under such a yoke, nor should your kind, wyrm-creature, fear control at all times. The practice of enthrallment has it's uses, but should not be inflicted when it is not necessary, and those willing to enthrall entire peoples should be stopped. I will pledge myself to such a venture."

Nevek turned slightly, taking it's attention from the dragon for the first time. "I am too large and too foreign to the surface to be disguised effectively by illusions, nor do I intend to allow you to alter my form through magics unless it should prove impossible to proceed otherwise. I can swim through the earth and stone below the walker-settlement, maintaining a mental link with those that allow it. If needed, I can enthrall Zarusite human-walkers to act in my stead, and, if the situation proves urgent, can teleport to your side from my tunnels. I can also shorten our journey considerably, be it traveling to the walker-settlement, or traveling back."

Silver Night
2014-08-10, 12:50 PM
Reacher

"Excellent. Though I would be cautious - if they are defending against dragons, well, there are dragons that can burrow also. Perhaps the defenses will be thinner, but they will do doubt exist." She turns back to the dragon, "Do we have any information on approaches and entrances to the keep? And what about nearby towns or villages?"

Vertharrad
2014-08-10, 09:08 PM
Gulklyreth perks up her ears at the mention of being ready for dragons. I hope your joking about them being prepared for dragons...I have some dragon blood myself. Hhhmmm a tower. I think some recon of the site before we come up with a solid plan would be advisable. The more troops we can sneak past the better.

Silver Night
2014-08-10, 09:17 PM
Reacher

"Myself, I hope we can sneak past all of them, and stroll back out again with the orb. But realistically, if we can limit the fighting as much as possible and not involve overwhelming numbers, that may be all we can hope for."

Prehysterical
2014-08-10, 09:26 PM
Gingerly lifting the backpack from the dragon's tail as if it were a venomous stinger, Nigel looks at the backpack. She actually trusts me to carry somethin' so important? Wow.

As he regards the special package, listening to talk of disguises and infiltration, Nigel has a troubling thought.

"Uh, magic isn't me thing, really, but how big is this orb supposed to be? If they shrink this backpack, will we be able to fit it in? If it has to be this big, then I can't really use a human disguise with this thing on."

Rendel Nep
2014-08-13, 04:54 AM
I'm pretty sure that magic items such as the bag adjust themselves to match the scale of their intended owner and considering the Dragon Orbs were made by elves, I doubt it is going to be that unwieldy. I don't believe it'll be an issue. Anyway, You only need to lose two or three feet to appear convincingly human. Might have to trade ya. Gilbert explains reassuringly.

whoiam
2014-08-14, 02:36 AM
"How about this, then... You all seem set on using the Illusion, so we have to pick disguises you're all about the right sizes for. So, there's three of you that won't fit inside an illusion of a human. I suggest what we do, is make two of you - Nigel and Gulkyreth - out to be Horses. Nigel is shown to be holding double packs, and Gulkyreth carries one of me or Reacher. That's because one of us fine ladies is about to become a new mother, aww... Such a shame none of the humans will quite be able to see that our new baby is actually a fully grown Pixie. Anyway, we'll keep Gulkyreth and Nigel out of the regular stables once we're inside by insisting they have to stay together with our trained Elephant, played by Nevek. Just float a consistent height off the ground, and try not to 'walk' into too many arches, they may charge us for the damage.

So, Reacher, do you want to be a mother, or should I?"

Vertharrad
2014-08-14, 03:20 AM
With a look of concentration Gulklyreth replies. I was thinking of using an illusion of a horse for me as well. I'm fine with your idea and would be honored to carry you into the village. I don't know Reacher enough to allow such a thing.

Rendel Nep
2014-08-14, 09:59 AM
I agree that your plan a great deal of merit to it but while I'd willingly sacrifice my dignity for the sake of the greater good, I have a hard time reconciling myself to a plan that requires such deception. You have to understand that Heironious forbids such trickery, unless proceeding otherwise would be foolish. If i fall foul of the Arch-paladin's displeasure then I'm of use to no one and should not be sitting at this table but If fulfilling the role as an infant is essential to our mission then I will accept your plan but I can't see why I can't follow alongside invisibly at the party's side. It's not that I wouldn't necessarily want to sleep in either of your laps, it's just that pretending to be a baby counts as an dishonorable act. Remaining hidden as a tactic ensure my survival in the face of uneven odds isn't, however. Gilbert says earnestly.

Silver Night
2014-08-14, 11:55 AM
Reacher

Reacher laughs, "A sound strategy, though I think the Pixie can just be invisible? And Nevek might be better off underground, if they aren't looking there - though the elephant makes a good backup plan. The rest of it sounds like a likely plan though. And I certainly don't mind any of it."

Vertharrad
2014-08-14, 02:51 PM
Eyeing Gilbert critically. If you have a problem with deception, your going to have a problem with most of our plans. Decpetion gives us a possible battlefield advantage if they don't know they're on a battlefield yet. It also will get us into more objectives in one piece and not multiple pieces. They have the advantage with numbers and power so we take that advantage away by showing them something they wouldn't expect. Don't let your merciful nature get us killed Knight Founderson. You know what happened to the paladin that had such mercy and 'honor' in my story. But if you want go ahead and become invisible.

whoiam
2014-08-15, 05:47 AM
"For that matter, I doubt anyone in your hierarchy is serious going to say "Allying with a Demon to fight Humanity? Go right ahead, it's just what I would have done! Dressing up like a human child? SINNER!"

But if it will put your heart at ease, I'll explain my thinking a little further. Weaving you into the illusion is more for the sake of my and Reacher's cover stories than for yours. See, I'm going to be a new mother, and we're taking rooms in town to put me and my new baby up for a couple of weeks while I recover from the 'ordeal'. Reacher is my performing partner who'll be poking around the town by day - Bards going after gossip isn't unusual behaviour, and she'll have the excuse of being 'bored' while trapped in town by the two of us. Then we're the night-time scout party. I change face, you turn invisible, and noone has an excuse to examine us too closely.

First order of business will be working out how to get the others moving around the city without attracting suspicion. We'll probably be able to get away with slapping an invisibility spell on each of you and moving you around at night, but we need to get inside first to find out for sure..."

(8)I'm gonna dress him up like he's a little girl, he's a little girl, he's a little girl! I'm gonna dress him up like he's a little girl, he's gonna look *so* *cute*!(8)

Vertharrad
2014-08-15, 06:54 PM
Gulklyreth smirks at the message with a cheshire grin on her face. Theres real mirth in her eye.

Silver Night
2014-08-16, 12:50 AM
Reacher

Reacher suppresses a dragon-audience-inappropriate giggle. "I'm liking this plan more and more, and I hope we get to use it. We could go as husband and wife, if that might work better - might be less suspicious than a woman alone with a baby. Then again, I've found that sometimes humans find females less threatening - I will trust your judgement in that arena."

whoiam
2014-08-16, 03:49 AM
"No, it's best for us to be two women. If we go as husband and wife, people will expect you to be looking after me and 'little baby Gilbert'. If we're just performing partners then you have a better reason to be wandering around the town while I play mother. After all, he's not your baby..."

Rendel Nep
2014-08-16, 09:56 AM
Alright, I'm not sure about the private joke you three seemed to share just then but seeing as it's for your sake's I'll consult with Heironeous. Considering I don't fall under the purview of a traditional paladin with all their headlong sword waving and what's at stake, it might be acceptable.

Prehysterical
2014-08-16, 07:19 PM
Nigel's relief at hearing of the magic bag's size-changing properties sours into a scowl as he listens to the pixie's concerns. Leaning in his chair, the troll says,

"Listen, mate, let's get something straight. All the old rules don' apply no more. World's gone and changed in a big 'urry, and not for the better. These Zarites will do anythin' to roll us over. They fight dirty, they fight 'ard, and they don't give a toss whether you're a good little fairy or a big bad old dragon. We gotta team up if we're gonna beat these gits, and if your god can't forgive putting a baby bonnet on your 'ead to help somebody out, then I don't know wot the hell he's thinkin'."

THEChanger
2014-08-16, 11:32 PM
"Nigel speaks wisely, Founderson. You face a force which is far greater than you, and which is without honor. In the face of such a threat, We am sure the Lightning Bearer will be somewhat more lenient with the code. Certainly there is no shame to seek to take on your foes on an even footing." The sound of a thousand gold coins shifting fills the cavern as Gahriar moves her massive bulk from beneath her horde. "You all, of course, will be provided with what plans and schematics of Blackstone and its keep we have been able to assemble before your departure. But We are afraid We must ask you to leave as soon as you can. We have other arrangements We must attend to."

Silver Night
2014-08-16, 11:55 PM
Reacher

"Sounds like we'd best be going. We will see you upon our triumphant return, your Particular Magnificence." Reacher gives the dragon an elaborate bow, "Nevek, do you suppose you can use a map to get us someplace suitably close?"

Vertharrad
2014-08-17, 12:49 AM
Certainly Mi'lady, I was getting bored with all the talking. Action is more appropriate now. Let's go recon our target fellow compatriots. Getting up Gulklyreth bows respectfully to Gahriar and get's ready to follow the group out of the cavern.

Rendel Nep
2014-08-19, 03:27 AM
I apologise for my conduct m'lady. It's hard trying to avoid getting stuck in your own little world sometimes. I won't let you down. Gilbert says before leaving the table.

whoiam
2014-08-22, 02:29 PM
Ascent also stood, bowed once to Lady Gahriar, and turned to head for the exit. She continued talking as she walked out of the chamber full of Dragons. "So, we've got things to gather. We should all get our own things together, and meet up... in the clothiers' section of the merchant tunnels. Reacher needs clothes, Gilbert needs clothes, and we should ideally find some way to get Gulkyreth and Nigel some horseshoes that doesn't involve a blacksmith getting eaten for trying to hammer them into Gulkyreth's feet. Attached to some kind of boots, perhaps. We need to chat with a tailor... and a blacksmith... about that one." It was only reaching the door - and the guards that had their weapons - that caused her to stop.

Dwarven: "May we have our equipment back, now?"

Vertharrad
2014-08-22, 03:49 PM
While departing the cavern Gulklyreth arches an eyebrow at Ascents comment. I tend to be a picky eater these days Ascent...getting certain tastes out of your mouth can be almost impossible. She says this with a dead pan expression.

Silver Night
2014-08-22, 10:59 PM
Reacher

"I do believe I've everything I need with me. I'll get into something that the humans will be more comfortable with, body-wise, when we go to see the tailor, so everything will fit properly." Reacher smiles, "Just two simple performers, that'll be us."

Prehysterical
2014-08-24, 03:20 PM
Nigel looks crossly at the succubus after her remark.

"So it's no big deal if they hammer those shoes into my feet, is it? Pfft, typical, that."

whoiam
2014-08-24, 04:25 PM
"So sensitive... Anyway, that's only one way to interpret what I said. The other is that I didn't think you'd eat someone just for having made the attempt. Although the truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't honestly think either of you would eat a Blacksmith for attempting to attach horseshoes if we'd gone to the blacksmith with the aim of getting exactly that done. Gulkyreth just happens to be an old friend I enjoy making fun of."

Rendel Nep
2014-08-25, 10:32 AM
I need to restock my quiver and pick up some rations. Is anyone good with forgery? I got this hunch that the Empire has committed to the sort of oppressive climate where you have to keep identity papers on you at all times.

Vertharrad
2014-08-25, 12:39 PM
Smiling slightly at Ascent-of-Man. Well when you've been having to fight tooth and nail for survival so long you do tend to loose your sense of humor...sometimes. I'm not kidding though sometimes getting certain creatures taste out of your mouth can almost be impossible.

A quizzical look comes over Gulklyreth. You surface dwellers need paper to identify yourself? How odd. Next thing you know you'll be telling me that Mushrooms fly up there on the surface...

Prehysterical
2014-08-25, 12:51 PM
"Don't ye worry about those stale old rations, mate. Ol' Nigel 'ere will be cooking supper for us on the way out. No crusty bread and over-salted meat for you lot, heh heh."

Silver Night
2014-08-25, 04:16 PM
"Don't ye worry about those stale old rations, mate. Ol' Nigel 'ere will be cooking supper for us on the way out. No crusty bread and over-salted meat for you lot, heh heh."

"Are you able to accommodate a... specialty diet. I have a ring which can sustain me without food, but that is hardly living, is it?"

Prehysterical
2014-08-25, 04:41 PM
Turning to regard the drider, Nigel asks, "Specialty diet? Wot, you got an allergy or somethin'?"

Vertharrad
2014-08-25, 05:02 PM
Gives Nigel a scathing look. I don't get allergies. Besides it was Reacher that asked about special diets... she points him in the right direction.

Looking at Reacher. I have the same ring. But I haven't always had it.

Silver Night
2014-08-25, 07:42 PM
Reacher

"No, not an allergy per se. It's more along the lines of being vegetarian. In a pinch I can eat live flesh, or dead flesh. However, given any choice in the matter I eat the flesh of the undead. I can provide fresh zombies, of course.

THEChanger
2014-08-25, 11:30 PM
The guards swiftly hand the group's gear back, and salute the party as they head off down the tunnels.

As the newly formed group reconvenes in the merchant's district, trade is in full swing. Even in these dark times, there is gold to be made, and the dwarven people are nothing if not industrious. Shops and stalls line the streets, with various shouts in Dwarven, Common, Undercommon ringing out wares and prices through the musty cavern air.

"I've got three iron sword for a steal! Willing to barter!"

"Full ration kits, forty days for twenty gold! Coin or food only!"

"Fortunes told! Get your daily casting of Augury right here folks! Just four hundred gold!"

Looking around, there are any number of tailors and blacksmiths, though the specific items you are looking for might need some special work.

Silver Night
2014-08-26, 01:34 AM
Reacher

Reacher wanders a bit, trying to make sure and find the perfect tailor.

Gather Information: [roll0]

Someone with experience making human clothes, maybe with some nifty pockets and things, and with even some knowledge of recent style for traveling musicians if possible.

Perhaps also a forger who could fake up some papers for them.

Prehysterical
2014-08-26, 05:18 PM
Zombies?! What kind of sick git...

It is a good thing that Reacher turned away to shop, for the blanching look on his face would have been very undiplomatic.

Looking through the bag at his belt, he realizes that he has almost nothing to cook with for the first night.

Can't hunt, trap, and pluck vegetables every night. Le'see wot we can scrounge up 'round 'ere.

Nigel walks through the crowd, seeking some fresh ingredients for their dinner.
Nigel is looking for a butcher, baker, gardener, or, if there is any, some kind of alchemist with exotic ingredients.

Vertharrad
2014-08-26, 08:38 PM
Having collected her weapons from the guards and followed the group to the market Gulklyreth starts looking for a way to get those specialty 'boots' made. Looking for a tailor that works with specialty orders like they're looking for.

THEChanger
2014-08-29, 11:21 PM
Reacher

Wandering through the underground streets, you quickly find yourself in front of a small hole-in-the-wall shop(in this case, the phrase being both figurative and literal), whose sign indicates is called Burges' Costuming. Stepping inside, you are greeted by swaths of colorful cloth hanging from the walls, as well as several mirrors, larges spools of thread, and a few whimsical hats. Behind a small counter stands an elderly dwarven woman, with massive horn-rimmed glasses and long graying hair. "Ah, welcome youngling, welcome. And what can old Gwyn do for you today?"

Nigel

Sellers of food are common on these streets, but purveyors of raw ingredients are harder to find. You do, however, find a butcher's shop which simply has a large red goat on its sign. The smell of raw and bloody meat hits your nostrils as you enter the surprisingly clean shop. A dwarven man, in the middle of sweeping the floor, nods curtly to you. Various cuts of meat are displayed, hanging from the ceiling or drying on racks.

Gulklyreth

Your frame gets you many odd glances as you stride down the cobblestone streets, perhaps even more than the troll. Dwarves have long memories, and many times the sturdy miners have come into conflict with the cunning drow. Still, there is no trouble, and you do eventually find Timothy's Armorers, an open air forge which seems to also produce cloth-based armors. It may be that this Timothy has the combination of skills you seek.

Silver Night
2014-08-30, 02:08 AM
Reacher

Reacher gives Gwyn a brilliant smile, "You shop kept coming up when I asked around - I've heard you do excellent work, of the sort I'm looking for. I'm going to be spending some time on the surface, I need a few versatile outfits for a travelling performer - and perhaps items appropriate to blending in with the peasantry or crashing a high end party or two. Being able to hide a surprise or two about my person wouldn't be a downside either." She gestures to herself, "I'll be a bit bigger in the bust and shoulders, and wider in the hips, I expect. And, er, more generally humanish. If you have a changing room, I'll go ahead and change so you can get proper measurements, if it helps? While we're at it, we might as well see about something for a male human, and perhaps a child as well. I never do know what I'll want to look like in the morning."

Diplomacy: [roll0] - doesn't hurt to make friends!

Rendel Nep
2014-08-30, 12:10 PM
Gilbert, having recieved his prized bow and his two blades returns to his quarters to retrieve his fortune and then goes shopping for various sundries.

Gilbert is going shopping for:
some arrows to fill up his quiver,
a suitable bedroll
extra ration in case of an emergency
stationary supplies
a book written in common
another book that's aimed at infants
a cuddly toy that's no more than half his height
a casket of wine,
Silver dust worth 500 gp
Diamond dust worth 1000 gp

Vertharrad
2014-08-30, 11:40 PM
Gulklyreth ignores the glances for the most part. If she's willing to give up old grudges to survive this she's sure they will too. But there is a part of her still looking around to make sure someone doesn't have too much of a grudge to pass up the chance to fell a drider.

Finding Timothy's Armorer she approaches Timothy or the nearest looking employee. Greetings my name is Gulkyreth and I have a odd specialty job for you...if your upto the challange that is. I need 8 horseshoes attached to 8 sturdy walking boots. As quickly as possible.

Prehysterical
2014-09-01, 03:49 PM
Nigel looks around at the selection on immediate display before turning his attention to the shopkeep.

"Wot kind of cuts ya got today?"

whoiam
2014-09-02, 03:29 PM
With the rest of the party splitting up, Ascent had to decide what she was doing, too. She didn't need personal supplies - she had her 'human' clothing already. There was no-one here she wanted to eat (badly enough to risk her allies over). So all there was left was... well, to follow one of the others, probably.

Gulkyreth and Reacher she ....trusted. Odd thought, that. But she did. They knew what they'd need for her plan, and they were both grown up enough to find them themselves. So she would have to 'help' one of the 'new' people. Whale-thing was probably going to be alright. She didn't like him/her/it much, but her/it/his mind seemed capable enough and it/he/she didn't have much to buy, anyway. So that brought the list down to Nigel and Gilbert. They were probably good enough at what they did, probably... but they'd yet to inspire the level of confidence that the other three had.

Although, come to think of it, it could be less that she had confidence in Nevek, and more that she simply didn't like it much. But that was an issue she could sort out at a later date. For now, she was going to follow Nigel on Heads, Gilbert on Tails...

[roll0]

THEChanger
2014-09-03, 01:56 AM
Reacher

Gywn looks you up and down, and nods, waddling out from behind her counter. "Shapechanger, eh? We get you types from time to time. Always difficult to cut for, but always pay well." She chuckles a little, and indicates a door in the back right corner of the shop. "Head right in there, dearie, and let's see what we'll be working with." She continues to waddle past you, and flips the shop's open sign to closed, and starts to pull the shades on the windows.

Gilbert and Ascent

As many odd looks as Gulklyreth received, the pair of the Archpaladin and the succubus somehow receives more. Not because either of them are particularly surprising - Gilbert was, at this point, a well-established member of the community, and Ascent was fairly open about her nature. Rather, the sight of a paragon of goodness walking down the street with a demon is one that many might find somewhat...odd. In any case, most of Gilbert's list can be rather easily acquired, as it is basic necessities. Arrows, rations, stationary supply, a bedroll, wine, and even two books written in Common (The first A Beginner's Guide to Fletching, and the second a rather worn copy of Tales and Travels of Polo the Bard, a collection of stories about a rather eccentric looking human performer written for children) can be procured at one of many general stores at market price, and the diamond and silver dust are both sold in bulk at a mage's shop run by a rather deaf Duskling. The child's toy, on the other hand, is more difficult to find in this place, as much of the economy has been turned to war. A lone toy shop at the edge of the market looks promising, however, with a hand-painted, though fading, sign proclaiming it to be Mr. Marigrave's Toys, Games, and Puzzles.

I'm not going to be keeping track of ammunition or food. I find them to be unnecessary portions of the game, unless one is running an adventure with a greater focus on wilderness survival situations. This game, if all goes according to plan(which of course it won't), will not be focused on that.

Gulklyreth

The dwarf you address looks up from his coal shoveling, and shakes his head a little. "Blimey. I thought I'd seen it all when them dragons moved in." Smoothing out his smock a little, the dwarf nods. "Boots what have horseshoes affixed to them, eh? Not quite sure what you'd need em for, but I think the boys and I can manage. Timothy's the name, owner and proprietor. I'll, ah, need to take some measurements, if'n that's alright?"

Nigel

The heavyset dwarf carefully sets his broom against the wall. "Well, we've got the usual. Boar, whole or trimmed, various flanks. Some cave bear, though the Forger knows you never get enough meat off them. Chickens out back, live or dead, though plucking'll cost you extra. Recently got a whole Frost Worm in from the Dragon's Spine, if you're in the market for something a bit more exotic. Cattle prices are going up, unfortunately. Can't get em much anywhere except human farmland, and raids are getting even more dangerous than they used to be. I've got a sale on goat though. A gold a pound, and you won't find a better price in the Pit."

Silver Night
2014-09-03, 03:10 AM
Reacher

"I knew I'd come to the right place!" Reacher saunters to the back and gets changed into a human female of average build, with attractive enough but not particularly memorable features. Hazel-green eyes, black hair, and olive skin that might pass without remark among a wide range of humans. "Of course, if you can accommodate a need for sudden, modest changes in body type, that would be quite handy."

Vertharrad
2014-09-03, 04:02 AM
Gulklyreth smiles mischievously at the dawarces comment, she begins to respond when a look of consternation comes over her. She counts her legs and adds Nigels. Okay I made a mistake, make that ten...eight for me and two for a troll. After you take my measurements I'll go track down the troll and bring him back here. She allows the dwarf to do his job. Once the measurements are taken she goes to track down Nigel.

Prehysterical
2014-09-03, 06:34 PM
Frost worm, eh? Never 'ad that before. Still, if goat's a gold a pound, wot's this gotta cost?

Nigel rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"Ya got me interested in this frost worm of yours. How much per pound for that? Money's a li'l tight right now, so gotta be sure I can afford it."

Rendel Nep
2014-09-06, 01:15 AM
Gilbert takes no heed of the comments coming his way. He's rather set on the task at hand. However one thing that's not on his list that bugs him and he'll have to bring up before the party sets off on the journey. Now, standing outside of the toy-shop, Gilbert turns to Ascent of man and (assuming she's there) asks So I'm thinking about buying a soft toy to go with the costume, that won't interfere with your plan in any way, right?

whoiam
2014-09-09, 09:28 AM
"Not at all. Try and get an old and worn one. That way I can pass it off as a hand-me-down. And make sure it's not of anything humanity's currently busy fighting. The last thing we want is some over-zealous fanatic thinking I'm giving out little dryad toys to protect their burning down Fey enclaves or anything stupid... See if you can find a dog, horse or bear or something, those should be pretty safe."

Rendel Nep
2014-09-09, 10:50 AM
Old animals and nothing that can be construed as propaganda, gotcha. Speaking of over-zealous, we might need to come up with some code words when I call forth the fist of Heironous to deliver his holy wrath upon those who perpetuate the tyranny of Zarus. Smiting one's allies in the cross fire isn't very honorable or tactically sound. Gilbert say before entering the toyshop in search of his prize.

THEChanger
2014-09-10, 12:24 AM
Reacher
When you exit the changing room, you are greeted not by the elderly dwarven woman, but a tall, bone white creature, with wispy white hair and an almost translucent face, with only milky white eyes, thin slits for a nose, and barely perceptible lips. You've heard about these people. Changlings. "Quick change. Very good. I like your style, too. Good choice of color. But, let's see what we can find you." Gwyn opens up a closet, and pulls out what looks at first glance like a light dress in lavender purple. Upon closer examination, you can see that there are hidden zippers, hooks, and buttons, allowing the dress to quickly become shirt, pants, apron, and almost any conceivable set of clothing for a human-sized person very quickly. "Quickshift Garb. Our folk find them useful, for obvious reasons. Completely non-magical too, so no illusion to tip off more perceptive guards. One hundred gold for the dress, in whatever colors you like. We have regular clothes of course, but I thought someone of your talents might appreciate this."

Mechanically, the Quickshift Garb is a Masterwork Item of Disguise, and allows you to change to a new disguise without rerolling the Disguise check, as long as you have a means to change your physical form.

Gulklyreth
Timothy nods, kneeling and quickly taking the measurements. "A troll and a spider-drow, pretending to be horses...strange times, these are." Getting back to his feet, he smiles at Gulklyreth. "But. Times like these, we all have to help each other, right? You bring your friend back, and it won't be but a couple hours afore the boots is done. One hundred for the set sound reasonable?"

Nigel
"Going for twenty, but if you're making a large purchase, we could work out a deal." The dwarf heads behind the counter, washing his hands with a small pump in the back. "Funny though. Wouldn't have picked a troll for a provisioner. You serve one of the lords herebouts? Or maybe you work with adventurers?"

At some point in the conversation, Gulklyreth enters the butcher's shop. I will leave it up to Vertharrad exactly when.

Gilbert and Ascent
Mr. Marigrave's is a dimly lit shop, with row upon row of shelves with a variety of toys, puzzles, and what seem like board games. It is slightly dusty, and there is no sign of the proprietor. You both, however, do spy a shelf full of stuffed animals, ranging from lizards and birds to dogs, cats, and what looks vaguely like a pig.

Silver Night
2014-09-10, 01:19 AM
Reacher

"Oooh, wonderful! I love it!" Reacher takes a moment to try reconfiguring the disguise dress, "Could I get something similar for a male human? Of course, I know men's clothes are hardly ever as versatile as a woman's. And a dress, and perhaps some travelling clothes as well?"

Vertharrad
2014-09-10, 02:02 AM
Reasonable enough. I'll be right back.

"You serve one of the lords herebouts? Or maybe you work with adventurers?"

Entering the shop Gulklyreth couldn't help but smile at the innocous questions and they're answers. She walks upto Nigel. When you 're done here we need to go have you fitted for your "shoes". Whispering. I'm going to need help paying for it, going to be 100 gold and I have 75.

whoiam
2014-09-10, 08:33 AM
While it had been Gilbert's idea originally, Ascent couldn't stop herself from going over to examine the animals. The toy dogs, especially. She'd always liked dogs, both real and toy... you didn't get many of them in the Abyss, so that particular facet to her personality hadn't been exercised in a long, long time...

Rendel Nep
2014-09-10, 08:45 AM
Hello! Mr Marigrave? Gilbert calls out.
While he wait's for a response the pixie paladin will browse the variety of soft toys especially the one that sort of looks like a pig assuming there's no obvious signs something is amiss.
Old memories? he asks curiously of the Succubus while they wait.

Prehysterical
2014-09-10, 11:09 AM
Nigel glowers at the dwarven butcher.

"I ain't a provisioner; I'm a goddamn cook. Some mates of mine and I are goin' on a walk-about and I thought they might get sick of eatin' rabbit stew."

As the drider walks in and whispers to him, the troll is slightly concerned. A quick look through his money pouch, however, shows that there is more than enough for both food and pitching in on the shoes.

Returning his attention to the dwarf, he says, "Twenty gold a pound ain't gonna cut it. Wot say I buy five pounds of the frost worm, steaks or somethin', and you get fifty gold?"

whoiam
2014-09-10, 11:11 AM
Ascent couldn't help but stroke one of the stuffed toy dogs as she responded. She sounded oddly wistful as she spoke.

"I remember a time when I loved dogs. Strange how strong those memories are - it was ever such a long time ago... Before the church of Heironous, if you can imagine such a thing. Humans have only been worshipping him a couple of thousand years.

They had other Gods before. Who knows, maybe after Zaurus, they'll find another set again? Humanity is such a fickle bunch, you know. I don't think any of the Gods of my youth are still around anymore, except as memories scattered here and there."

Rendel Nep
2014-09-11, 10:46 AM
Heh, the Archpaladin made it no secret that he fought his brother in his youth. So clearly there was a time before Heironeous but hopefully the time after him will be far off into the future. I do find the notion that I'm going be sitting in the lap of entity that's older than civilization and the gods themselves odd. That's the sort of material that they make parables of. Gilbert muses.

whoiam
2014-09-11, 12:50 PM
"Oh, men have fought over the chance to sit in my lap before, you know. Or have me sit on theirs. It's usually not out of respect for my great age, however...." Ascent laughed briefly at the thought.

"Certainly I am older than some civilizations and some gods. I'm not older than all of them. When I was young, the Elves and the Dwarves were the world's dominant powers, the Dragonflights already a spent and fading force after the losses they incurred fighting the ancient Elves. All three of their pantheons are older than I am. Some of the other racial groups have been around longer, too, although not with the same prominence. Humanity was already around, but they were very primitive - the best of humanity back then was about equivalent to a feral orc tribe today.

The trick, you see, is managing your ambition. Rise too high above the level your talents and power can sustain, and sooner or later something will end you. Plenty of my 'sisters' have found themselves impaled on an Angel's sword or dragged off by a team of Inevitables as a result of overreaching themselves. A few even tried challenging Malcanthet to become Queen of the Succubi. Malcanthet always used to make us all clean her palace by hand after those attempts. Just to reassert who was the boss, I suspect. I didn't go in for any of that. Being a Succubus was enough, and I certainly wasn't going to risk my eternal life just so I could try bossing around my Sisters.

There's only one problem, really. Being a model Demon is all well and good, but there's only one reward for getting it right - the chance to spend another day as a Demon. That's why I liked being a Succubus, you see. We at least get to visit the mortal world a lot. The Afterlife's far more fun if you can spend it outside the Abyss..."

THEChanger
2014-09-15, 09:42 PM
Reacher
Gwyn smiles, and quickly produces a second Quickchange Garb, this one a pair of pants and a shirt which can be turned inside and out in several different ways to produce different patterns and general shapes. She also offers a selection of dresses and traveler's clothes, among which Reacher is sure to find what they are looking for.

Two sets of Quickchange Garb, a dress, and a set of traveling clothes, would come out to 210 gold.

Gulklyreth and Nigel
The dwarf holds up his hand. "Hey, meant no offense. You just don't see many trolls with an inclination for the culinary art." When Nigel makes his offer, the butcher makes a few quick calculations on his fingers. "Fifty five, and it's a deal."

Ascent and Gilbert
"Oh yes. Truer words were never spoken, except perhaps of the Nine Hells." From behind a shelf pops the head of a very aged dwarf, with massive spectacles over his eyes and completely devoid of hair atop his head. He is dressed simply, just a white shirt and pants, and shuffles towards the two of you. "Of course, many would argue none of the afterlives are any better than the other. Simply perspective given form. Then, I am but a humble toy maker, and know little of such matters." He chuckles dryly, and eyes Gilbert. "What can I do for you, High Priest, and you, his demonic companion?"

Rendel Nep
2014-09-15, 10:53 PM
Well, firstly could you please slake my curiosity and tell me what manner of beast this is meant to represent? It sort of looks like a pig to me. Gilbert asks, holding up the toy in question.
Although, we're in need of a toy that looks somewhat worn from use. Something that might have been handed down a generation or two. Um, a human generation. He explains, worrying he might have said too much.

Silver Night
2014-09-16, 12:36 AM
Reacher

"Excellent!" She pays, "I shall recommend you to all of my friends. Though I'm afraid the rest of my species are mostly something of sticks-in-the-mud."

Vertharrad
2014-09-16, 03:56 AM
Gulklyreth thinks on what the dwarf has said. You don't hear much less see any trolls that have overcome their feral nature to entreat with other sentient creatures much less become cooks. She waits till the deal is done and Nigel has concluded his business before taking him to the "boot fitting".

Prehysterical
2014-09-16, 12:10 PM
"Done. Good doin' business with ya."

Nigel empties the appropriate amount of gold onto the desk and takes the frost worm meat.

Turning to the drider, he says, "All right, let's go get those damn shoes. Goin' to look like fools walkin' out of here, the lot of us."

Vertharrad
2014-09-16, 09:36 PM
Right this way. Gulklyreth leads Nigel to the "boot fitting".

THEChanger
2014-09-24, 08:31 PM
Gilbert and Suliva-Er, Ascent
"Ah, yes. That, my good pixie, is a razor boar. You find them in some of the deeper tunnels. Sometimes the boy dwarves fancy a companion that's a little more manly." Mr. Marigrave grins a little, reminiscing. "As to a toy which is slightly worn, I may have something in the back. Let me see..." After a few moments of rummaging, the aged dwarf returns with a rather scuffed up black cat. One of the bead eyes hangs slightly loose, and there is obvious stitching down its right side. "A donation. I hadn't quite gotten to finishing fixing the poor girl up, but somehow I think you'll be taking good care of her. The child it belonged to previously named her Ninbanda. Odd name, but that's children for you. All manner of flights of fancy." The old dwarf eyes you, and for just a moment, there is an almost supernatural brightness and clarity to the gray eyes. "It may be none of my business, but it is not often a person of your standing purchases such frivolities. May I ask what you need this for?"

Gulklyreth and Nigel
Returning to Timothy's Armorer's, the dwarf greets you with a proud smile on his face. "Got your boots done miss, lickity split. Now, if your friend will just put his feet up here, we'll have his ready in no time at all." The eight pairs of boots look remarkably sturdy, and have been slightly altered to fit a drider's much thinner feet.

Reacher
Gwyn bows to you. "If you're ever back in town, come visit! It was a pleasure, new friend."

Now to meet up with the others. Will you head straight to the upper gates, or go to meet up with one of the other pairs?

Vertharrad
2014-09-24, 09:46 PM
They look perfect. Gulklyreth tries them on preening around liking the comfortable, snug fit; but not liking the heavy horseshoes on the end. You have done great work. Gulklyreth hands over seventy five gold pieces my companion here has the rest.

Prehysterical
2014-09-24, 09:56 PM
Not wanting to spend too much time standing around, Nigel complies with the shoemaker's wishes.

The sooner we get on the road, the better.

whoiam
2014-09-25, 02:40 AM
Ascent looked a touch disappointed when the Dwarf fetched a stuffed cat (funny as they could occasionally be, they were no match for dogs!), but the moment the Dwarf mentioned 'Ninbanda' she just went... blank. Her response was delivered in a curt, flat, near-monotonous voice. "Must have had her nose stuck in a history book. That's a very old name. If you must know, I will soon have a child, and preparations must be made for this occurance." Okay, so the child wouldn't be all that young - or technically hers - but as far as the world was concerned, she *was* about to become a new mother! Still, the flat way she delivered the revelation would have made that statement seem very odd - as would the fact that she was quite visibly not in late or even mid term pregnancy...

Rendel Nep
2014-09-25, 09:04 AM
Mr Marigrave, you've somehow left my companion (totally platonic, I promise you) flummoxed and by the glint in your eye I doubt you're as humble as you pretend to be. While Ascent's statement is strictly correct, I could offer a more elaborate explanation if you were to tell me of your true identity. Gilbert (not Sulivan) asks.

He then gives Ascent a very light nudge and a look of concern. {You OK?} he mouths in sylvan.

Silver Night
2014-09-25, 06:09 PM
Reacher

Reacher thanks the shop keeper and goes in search of Ascent's duo. Of course, she looks quite different - though it seems likely the succubus might still recognize her style. And there probably aren't many human-looking types about.

whoiam
2014-09-26, 10:52 AM
Still in her monotone, Ascent cuts in before the 'toy-maker' can reply. "That was as close to being polite as I cared to be under the circumstances - the correct, completely honest answer is that you may ask whatever you like, but we are not especially inclined to provide answers."

As she turns her head towards Gilbert, her voice drops just as quickly from the monotone down into a low, seductive purr - the voice she'd typically used as Pasha, as a matter of fact.

"You're new to this sort of thing, so let me explain. The truth is valuable. It is also dangerous. Hoard it like your life depends on it, because it frequently will. The sad truth of any secret, especially an important one, is this: having it known by just a single mind is a mind too many. Sharing your secret with a group, however small, carries tremendous risk. Telling it to any random shopkeep who asks? That's basically daring your secret to become public.

Now I don't know if this toymaker would prove to be friend or foe were he told. What I do know is that, short of telling him and looking back in hindsight a century from now, there is no way to know if he can be trusted or not. So do not trust him. It is not a risk we need to take and we are facing far too many already."

As she addresses the dwarf again, she's straight back into the monotone. "No offense intended, sir. But we do not know you, and the price of discovering you cannot be trusted with a secret is far too high for us to take chances. However, I think we will take the cat."

THEChanger
2014-09-27, 06:35 PM
Ascent and Gilbert

The dwarf bows, as much as his aged frame would allow. "My apologies. I did not realize the situation was so delicate. Forgive my intrusion. And...please. Take the cat as my gift, a small compensation for my breech of conduct."

Reacher

Wandering around the market, you spy at the edge of the square a small shop called Mr. Marigrave's Toys, Games, and Puzzles. You remember Gilbert saying something about wanting to find a toy for his disguise. Maybe they're at that shop.

Gulklyreth and Nigel

After exiting the smithy, do you head straight for the Upper Gates, or do you try to find your allies first?

Vertharrad
2014-09-27, 09:25 PM
After exiting the smithy with their purchases Gulklyreth looks for the rest of the group before heading for the Upper Gates.

Silver Night
2014-09-27, 10:46 PM
Reacher

Reacher heads for the toy shop, "Ahoy-hoy!"

Rendel Nep
2014-09-30, 07:02 AM
Apology accepted although there's really no need. I would also like to buy this. Gilbert says presenting the stuffed dog toy Ascent of man had petted earlier to the counter.

whoiam
2014-10-07, 12:54 PM
Still in Monotone: "True enough. You've given no offense... we just can't answer those kinds of questions. Not honestly, anyway."

But as Gilbert goes back for the stuffed dog, Ascent 'casually' turns away from them. Mostly to hide the beginning of a grin. This is why she's first to the doorway when Reacher's current body arrives. In response to her greeting, Ascent sniffs, rather theatrically. And back in her normal voice, she replies "Something about you seems verrry familiar..."

Silver Night
2014-10-08, 09:50 PM
Reacher

Reacher gives her a jaunty wink, "Just settling into a new body. Humans do have most of the curves, don't they? How's your shopping going?"

Prehysterical
2014-10-08, 10:14 PM
As he and the drider wander through the crowds, Nigel stops a passing dwarf.

"Oi, excuse me, but 'ave you seen a lil' fairy knight and some kinda demon-looking lass?"

THEChanger
2014-10-12, 08:37 AM
A dwarf, stuttering a little, points towards a small shop at the edge of town. "T-that way, sir."

The old dwarf smiles, and nods. "A mere gold piece for the dog, I should think. It is one of my better works."

Soon after the exchange is made, Nigel and Gulklyreth find their way into Mr. Marigrave's shop. The aged dwarf adjusts his glasses a little, obviously made somewhat nervous by the presence of the troll and drider, but says nothing as our rather eclectic party makes their departure.

The Upper Gates of the Pits are, by necessity, not an imposing affair. Indeed, the Gates proper have long been neglected, to give the illusion that this place is untouched by sentient life. The large iron bars have rusted and twisted, and serve no real protective purpose. That is the domain of the many wards, traps, and hidden guards stationed along the path that leads into the dwarf city of Heddwch’s Reach above, as well as the collapsible ceiling, which would create a far more difficult obstacle for a human invasion. The journey through Heddwch’s Reach is an uneventful, if slightly disturbing one, as your footsteps echo through the burnt out city. Wind moans into the cavern from the outside, through the corpses of buildings, broken, burnt, and utterly devoid of life. Not even the rats stay here for long, and the only things you can hear are your own footsteps, breathing, and the gentle drip of water from the ceiling.

You've been provided with several maps of the surrounding area, and of Blackstone itself. The safest way to get to the city would be to use the old escape route in the back of the city. It's a hidden evacuation tunnel that leads out the back of the mountainous city. After that, it would be a few days before you arrived at Blackstone, travel through the mountains being more difficult than across flat land. Alternatively, you could march right out the front gates of Heddwch's Reach, shorting the travel time to a single day, but making it increasingly more likely you'll run into a human patrol of soldiers. Or, if someone has another method of entering the city (teleportation, tunneling, flight while invisible), that would also potentially be viable.

whoiam
2014-10-14, 01:20 PM
Rising out of the deeper tunnels seemed to have done wonders for Ascent's mood. She was almost smiling as she called the group to a halt in the dwarven ruins.

"So, we a few choices for route. I'd say we should go the over-the-mountain route. I've got excuses for why my pregnant belly and I felt like mountain climbing in the first place, but they're not important to most of you. Except you, Reacher, I'll fill you in later on the details.

Anyway, I could just throw up a Veil and we could go by the direct route, but I don't want to appear to have been aiming for Blackstone, and the extra time on the road will give us a chance to practice our covers. We'll teach you some of the basics of horse-and-baby behaviour as we go - it should be enough to get us into the city. Remember, the illusion does most of the work, all you have to do is behave enough like the thing you're pretending to be so as not to make anyone suspicious.

Any objections, or shall I cast the first Veil so we can get started?"

Vertharrad
2014-10-14, 01:49 PM
Gulklyreths one good red eye regards Ascent as she explains the situation. No objections. The longer route sounds perfect for our puprposes. It'll give us the time to make sure we're ready for this. She puts on the specially prepared horseshoe boots to prepare for the journey.

Prehysterical
2014-10-14, 05:20 PM
Nigel blows his lips disbelievingly at Ascent's mention of acting lessons.

"I got no problem with the long way, but what more is there to pretendin' to be a horse? Other than chewin' hay, neighin', and clippedy-cloppin' on the road?" He clacks his horseshoe-clad boots on the road in emphasis.

Rendel Nep
2014-10-14, 07:51 PM
Because if we allow some competence among the Blackstone guard then they might pick up some unhorse like behavior like the way you walk or if you happen to react to some off colour remark about beasts of burden. You also have to get the neigh right unless you want to sound like some bad pantomime. Gilbert points out while hovering at Nigels chest height.

So when I get to finally see my new outfit? he turns, in order to ask either of Reacher and Ascent of Man.

whoiam
2014-10-14, 08:58 PM
Ascent actually sounds quite amused as she responds to Nigel's question. "What more is there to cake than eggs, butter, milk, sugar, baking powder and your choice of flavoring? If you don't know how they're mixed together - and what must be done to them as it happens - noone is ever going to mistake what you produce for an actual cake. And that's really the point. Knowing - and having - the ingredients is a good start, but does not make you a master chef. And it's the same with acting. Just knowing the actions is not enough - we also have to teach you when to use them, and how."

At this point, the source of her amusement becomes clear with a comment she directs at Gilbert. "Yeah, I know, it's the same point you were making. But I'd picked my analogy out all ahead of time, and I wasn't going to miss my chance to use it!"

Rendel Nep
2014-10-14, 09:18 PM
No complaints here. Often I've been in so need of an good analogy for my congregation that I have tried to bargain with the benevolent forces that be for one in trade for having to put up with wearing a ladie's frock. No one has yet to take up the offer.

Silver Night
2014-10-15, 01:44 PM
Reacher

"The mountain route sounds good to me. Maybe we will be attacked by bandits - a good chance to practice our acting. At least until they are too close to get away." She adjusts the fiddle slung on her back like a talisman, "Plus, mountains give us an excuse to 'lead' our 'horses' so we don't have to use you as real beasts of burden so much."

Prehysterical
2014-10-21, 11:34 AM
"All right, all right, I'll bloody practice. But only if I get to see Sir Pixielot here practice being a babe. Now, can we get a move on?"

Vertharrad
2014-10-21, 01:35 PM
I'm as ready as you are guy. Looks at Ascent. Shall we get going? I'm curious as to how different from a lizard a horse is.

Rendel Nep
2014-10-22, 06:57 AM
Sir Pixielot, huh? I like it. Gilbert nods in agreement before having a flash of inspiration.

Sir Pixielot is emboldened by the chance to see scenic mountain vistas and is heartened by the knowledge that he will have ample opportunity to feast from the stew pot of Sargent Biscotti. he says in answer to Gulklyreth's question.

THEChanger
2014-10-24, 08:14 PM
As the party travels, Ascent and Reacher proceed to educate their new charges in the art of deception and acting, to the best of their abilities. Gilbert Founderson does not take to the art very well, but Gulklyreth is already familiar enough with deceit, and Nigel has just the right amount of irreverence to become fairly adept at the horse trot. And all are pleasantly surprised at just how delicious Nigel's cooking is.

About the second day out, you see a pile of rubble and stone cascaded across the dirt road. It looks to be a landslide. Easy enough to clamber over - for a troll and a drider. A horse would have to go around, through the thick trees. Incidentally, those trees would also make for an excellent hiding place.

You see five humans hidden in the forest near the pile of rubble.

You also see an invisible human wielding a staff.

Silver Night
2014-10-25, 01:49 AM
Reacher

Reacher slows a bit at the avalanche, though only perhaps Ascent would be able to spot her wariness as she runs her eyes over the scene. Unfortunately, she doesn't spot anything, but her years on the road have made her suspicious of such coincidences.

Rendel Nep
2014-10-25, 02:06 AM
Gilbert notices an odd boot. He glaces up and sees a face then five. He wrinkles his nose before taking the time to study the other group in the comfort of his 'morher's' lap. He attempts to yawn before pointing out the rockfall.

Look mummy, aval.. He quickly corrects himself,Giant fight, rawrrr!. He might be in a pink frilly dress but that doesn't mean he has to conform to any gender identity yet. Admittedly, he still hadn't figured out his exact age.

Ascent, in the bushes. Hope Reacher is hungry.

Detect evil as a spell like ability. Being optimistic about having two rounds to concentrate as well.

whoiam
2014-10-25, 07:22 PM
We have to kill them first, remember? Still, let's try talking first. Also hush, you're not supposed to be old enough to know words yet. That takes humans a few years, you know.

Ascent glances up in response to Gilbert's audible warning, and quickly lets out a cry of 'surprise', "Bandits!", while reaching out her hand to grab Reacher's arm and pointing at the five men with the other hand, simultaneously nudging her 'horse' with her knees.

Hold still, please!

"Well... uh, you are bandits, aren't you? I think, it's hard to see you through the undergrowth. Not that we have a problem with you if you are - my partner and I offer the Bard's standard bribe (we'll entertain you and your colleagues for the night) for safe passage for ourselves and our things..."

[roll0]

Silver Night
2014-10-25, 10:24 PM
Reacher

"We're simultaneously very poor and very good bards. And I find good entertainment is hard to find out here!"

Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

Rendel Nep
2014-10-26, 12:20 AM
Oops. If they ask you for a troupe name say invisible wizard. I want to see the look on their faces

Vertharrad
2014-10-27, 07:27 PM
Yes matron mother... the mirth is very evident Gulklyreth stops moving as requested.

Prehysterical
2014-10-27, 09:33 PM
After hearing Reacher and Ascent's words, Nigel's first instinct is to reach for Crusher. He stomps his fist back down, however, as he remembers that he is supposed to be a beast of burden. Reluctantly, he waits to see how the situation develops.

THEChanger
2014-11-01, 11:13 PM
As the two "human" "bards" spot the bandits, they start to come out of the underbrush, surrounding the "horse". Most are dressed in simple leather armor, but one in the center wears a breastplate that sparkles in the afternoon sun. He seems to be the group's leader, and he grins, tossing his sword between his hands. "Well boys, look at this. A couple of bards wandering around in the forest. Mighty fortunate for them we're not bandits at all, but his Lord Smith's tax collectors, wouldn't you say?" The other...tax collectors murmur and chuckle in agreement. "Now, fine as your offer would be, us being appointed officials of His Majesty the King, it simply wouldn't be proper for us to accept it as such. But, I'm sure some form of agreement can be reached. The toll is normally one hundred gold pieces a head, and fifty for children and animals. But if you find that a bit steep, I'm sure some time spent in the company of such distinguished performers as yourselves could reduce the price by...say...a horse."

You can't be sure, but they don't seem particularly dangerous to people of your kind, nor particularly intelligent. But if they really ARE working for Lord Marvyn, he could have divinations watching the place.

In any case, here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rVYn_pqzlC-a2W3k_sNyiIP-9C2kPYsXHZA05_v9ZTE/edit?usp=sharing) is a crude map made in Google Docs. Each cell is a 5 foot square. The blue squares are just to mark the general position of the party, so anywhere close to there is valid for placement. You all should be able to edit the map.
You are not currently in Combat.

Vertharrad
2014-11-02, 04:22 AM
Are they aware we're not horses? And although I may not have visited the surface much...they don't act like tax collectors.

Gulklyreth stays still except to make horse sounds as appropriate.

[roll0]

Rendel Nep
2014-11-02, 04:50 AM
Gilbert closely listens in order to determine the veracity of these 'tax collecters'. He also continues to concertrate on detecting any evil in the area.

Sense Motive [roll0]

Vertharrad
2014-11-02, 11:41 AM
Not liking how these humans try to explain themselves Gulklyreth attempts to discern if they're being deceptive. Even being from the underdark something seems wrong in this situation.
[roll0]

Silver Night
2014-11-02, 02:24 PM
Reacher

Sense Motive [roll0] regarding the claim they are working for Lord Smith and if they would let us go for a discounted rate.

Reacher's voice takes on a silky undertone, "Now, surely honorable soldiers of the king such as yourselves could let us by for a more reduced fee - 50 gold? - as we are not the blood-sucking merchants you are truly out here to police? Unless you are worried that Lord Smith is monitoring you - though I can't imagine he wouldn't trust men such as yourselves!"

Reacher using her swift suggestion-like SLA, and he takes -2 on the DC 25 save since he is in eye contact with her.

Bluff [roll1] to make that last part not sound sarcastic.

whoiam
2014-11-02, 02:44 PM
With Gilbert's warning, Ascent was keeping an eye out for the Invisible Wizard, and with the 'tax collectors' approaching her position she had the chance to spot him.

It's a DC20 spot check to use Clarity of Vision, and Ascent's mod is +21, so not bothering to roll.

Probably not. But there's a Wizard with them, invisible, just to our right of Breastplate and about 10' behind. He might be able to recognise we're using magic. If this gets violent, charge right through the gap between Breastplate and the bandit to his right, you'll hit the Wizard head on.

Sadly, glancing around to spot the Wizard (and replying to the person thinking at her) had cost her the opportunity to reply first, her faintly sarcastic reply dying unspoken when Reacher went straight to flattery.

Be careful with your magic. They've got a wizard with them, using invisibility, standing slightly behind their leader. If he spots you using any magic a bard wouldn't, this is going to get ugly...

Vertharrad
2014-11-02, 03:56 PM
If what you say is true I could perferate the wizard with arrows. My longspear has reach, but to get to the wizard would mean risking a attack from Mr. Shiny and the bandit to our right as we pass also the wizard could fly or port out leaving us to be swarmed. I'd rather keep us out of a terrible tactical situation.

Prehysterical
2014-11-02, 04:27 PM
It takes an effort of will for Nigel not to stand up and those gits who the real danger around here is. Instead, he tries to maintain his cover and think horsey thoughts. He fidgets impatiently.

Silver Night
2014-11-02, 09:34 PM
Reacher

Ah, well, a bit late on the magic, but hopefully he won't notice, or will think it is a normal bardy thing. If this goes badly, we should avoid revealing mroe about ourselves than we need to, in case we these men are being monitored remotely - though that would seem to be a lot of effort to keep an eye on them.

THEChanger
2014-11-09, 02:17 AM
You can tell they were indeed hired by Lord Smith, but...there's more to the story. They're not just out here to collect taxes.

There are 6 Evil Auras present in your sight, and the strongest among them is Faint.

The leader's eyes grow a little unfocused as Reacher attempts to influence his mind, but he shakes his head, and his eyes narrow. "Oi, you just try to charm me, boy? Don't you know it's against the law to use Compulsions on an official of the king?" He points his sword directly at the disguised Avolakia. "Y'know, I was just starting to warm up to you two. But for trying to mess with my head, the toll just doubled. And you'd best pay up quick. We're getting impatient, ain't we boys?"

The four other men draw daggers, two each. All of them look ready to pounce upon the poor, defenseless caravan.

Ha.

Silver Night
2014-11-09, 02:39 AM
Reacher

One more try at a non-violent resolution!

I seem to have bungled that, my apologies. Let me try one more thing - unless you have a better idea I will simply try to lie. A somewhat augmented lie.

Assuming Ascent or one of the others doesn't have a better plan:

Using Glibness, "It is good you do not bend, even to compulsion. We know you work for Lord Smith, and that you are not only collecting tolls. We work for another powerful man, an ally of Lord Smith - you know who I mean, I trust?" A knowing nod, that says 'of course you know the way things are, who moves in the circles of power, of course', "Your diligence has put us in an... unfortunate position. Noone was to know of our mission. Yet, your commitment to your duty says you are to be trusted. Can we trust you to let noone know of our passing you here today?"

I'm assuming here that Glibness has a somatic component that isn't, like, super suspicious. Since that would make it kind of tricky to use. :smallbiggrin:

If that's not the case I shall have to reconsider (and probably immediately resort to violence >>)

Bluff: [roll0]

Vertharrad
2014-11-09, 03:37 AM
Reading the situation and expecting violence Gulklyreth as discreetly as possible draws her bow making impatient horse sounds and "fidgeting".
[roll0]

Rendel Nep
2014-11-09, 11:25 AM
Gilbert continues concertrating but has some news for Ascent of Man.

Just confirming but they all register as evil. Any hint that they know our true identity, we need to take them down fast.

Prehysterical
2014-11-12, 07:13 PM
Nigel fidgets impatiently, trying his best to let the talkers do the talking. A part of him wishes they would hurry up and attack, so the smashers can do the smashing.

I suppose Reacher is riding Nigel.
E19-F20

whoiam
2014-11-14, 03:56 AM
Please....stop...helping... Casting spells with a somantic component while being watched by a wizard is a really bad idea. Why do you think I haven't used any? If it was just the thugs I would have just kissed the leader and we'd be on our way already...

"You'll forgive her, I hope. She's near-terminally stupid, but a great singer.

You, on the other hand... you I'm not sure about. You're certainly doing something stupid. You can't charge us extra and let us past, for fear we'll find your superiors and report you as corrupt. Best case scenario, they'll 'confiscate' the extra money you took. More likely, blatant corruption will get the lot of you executed. Not least because I'm more than skilled - and vengeful - enough to dance for someone of high rank to make it happen.

Which means, ultimately, we're in one of three situations here. Either A) you weren't planning to let us leave anyway, in which case... why don't you just attack straight away? Looting money from our corpses isn't that much of a chore, after all. B)You're actual tax collectors who overstepped your authority slightly in response to what I'll freely admit was a bloody stupid action on our part, or C) You're not tax collectors, and we're right back into the 'there will be trouble when we reach town and expose you as fakes' territory again.

Now I'd really love to know which of the above applies here. Not least because, well... frankly, we'd have struggled to pay you the 'reduced' 300. We don't carry anything like 700. With honest servants of the King, an accommodation could be reached. Even if it involves paying off the balance once we reach town and have a chance to earn the remaining money. And if that's not the case.... well, we do both know magic. Quite a lot of it, actually. If we have to fight for our lives, we will. Although I for one would prefer not to. Mountainside skirmishes aren't exactly ideal child-rearing environments, you see..."

Nice to have the confirmation, but honestly, I would have killed them to keep my identity secret, evil or no.

Taking control of the conversation is good, and I'm glad you're remembering your lessons, but try and keep your lies as simple as you can. Glibness won't get you out of everything, especially if the Wizard saw you cast it. Remember, the last thing we want to do is tempt that wizard into trying to dispel magic on us. If he gets the 'veil' spell while aiming for your glibness then this is going to become a fight very quickly...

Silver Night
2014-11-14, 04:16 AM
You have to admit their expressions would probably be pretty priceless, though.

THEChanger
2014-11-20, 05:52 PM
The leader growls, as several different stories reach his ears. His eyes narrow, staring directly at Reacher, who sees them glow blue for a brief moment. Then the leader swears, stepping back into a combat stance. "Alright. First off, the next person to cast a spell, or whatever the hell you've been doing, gets a face full of fire. Second, you're glamered. Charles, put a dispel on them." The other men all drop into a similar stance, watching your caravan carefully.

The wizard, previously obscured by light-bending magic, flickers into view as his hands make the arcane signs of dispelling. You all can feel the magic changing your forms being pulled at, but Ascent's Veil holds. The leader swears again. "Don't make this harder than it has to be. Just drop the glamer."

The wizard's Dispel Check was 20, area version. You all got hit. I don't think that catches any active buffs, but I figured you all should know.

Silver Night
2014-11-20, 10:11 PM
Reacher

To Ascent, "Well, I made a mess of this one, my apologies - I'd promise that it won't happen again, but the best I can do is that I'll try to make sure next time I screw up it won't be a beginners mistake (I'll make sure it's something from the advanced class). Fight, do you think? Or do you have another idea? It looks like he might be able to detect illusions. Maybe we can pretend they are cosmetic."

Vertharrad
2014-11-21, 02:32 AM
Hearing the exchange and momentarily seeing the hand of the mage makes up her mind. Hoping that Ascent and the others can adapt she acts quickly. Raising the bow and sighting on where the hand had appeared Gulklyreth pulls back the string and lets an arrow fly.

standard action - +2 [+3str] large composite greatbow att[roll0] dmg[roll1], crit conf[roll2] (magic) concealment[roll3]
targeting square G13
Initiative[roll4]

Init +3
AC 27, touch 19, flat-footed 24 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +5 Cha, +8 natural, +2 battledancer)
HP 106
SR 22
Fort +10 Ref +10 Will +14
Immune to poison
Grp +14

Hasted: 11 rounds
AC 28, touch 20, flat-footed 24 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +1 dodge, +5 Cha, +8 natural, +2 battledancer)
HP 106
SR 22
Fort +10 Ref +11 Will +14
Speed 80 ft. (16 squares) / climb 55 ft (11 squares); may take 10 on climb checks
Immune to poison
Grp +14
Jump +23

Silver Night
2014-11-21, 03:01 AM
Init: [roll0]

Combat it is! Do we get to act in the surprise round if Vertharrad (via Ascent) provided warning? (Though it seems like that may not have happened).

Rendel Nep
2014-11-21, 08:41 AM
A valiant effort Reacher but the moment is lost. My liege, Oh great Heironeous, Judge these Sinners that stand before me for their crimes. Gilbert calls to the Arch-Paladin giving up his as the baby.

Casting Holy Smite (Will DC 21) centred on the top right corner of Sparkly Bandit's square. [roll0]

Init +7
AC 30, touch 26, flat-footed 23 (+1 size, +7 Dex, + deflection, +1 natural, +8 Monk's belt effect)
HP 50
SR 26
Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +20
DR 10/Cold iron
Grp 4

Prehysterical
2014-11-21, 04:51 PM
Finally, the jig is up. Get wrecked.

Rearing up to his full height, Nigel roars a battle cry. The armored troll unslings Crusha from his back and swings its bulk at the nearest unfortunate "bandit".
Move action to unsheathe weapon, aiming at Bandit 2
Power Attack to fullest extent, -11 BAB, +22 damage
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Init +3
AC 26, Touch AC 12, Flat-footed 23 (+9 armor, +3 Dex, -1 size, 5 nat)
HP 181
Regen 5
DR 4/-
Fort +20, Ref +7, Will +3
Reach 10, Combat Reflexes (3 AoO's per round)
Improved Uncanny Dodge (cannot be flanked)
Large and In Charge (can attempt Str check to push attacker back into starting space)
Grap +25

Silver Night
2014-11-30, 01:32 AM
Reacher

Reacher gives the bandit leader an apologetic shrug,then casually points at the wizard and a ray shoots toward him.

Enervation:
Attack: [roll0]
Negative Levels: [roll1]

whoiam
2014-12-03, 09:07 PM
I'll dismount when I can....

Ascent joins Reacher in the magic-slinger's camp. Although she doesn't go for an offensive spell - having seen the failure of Reacher's earlier attempt, and not wanting to risk her magic being resisted as well. So instead, her moving of hands and her muttered incantation ends in her colleagues feeling rather... faster... than they usually do...

For the surprise round, Ascent is casting Haste (as a Standard Action) on the entire party and Shield (As a free action) on herself. Since she doesn't have enough points in ride to dismount from Gulkyreth quickly, she's going to have to keep riding her until she's got an action available to dismount with. Or the enemy all die, one or the other.