PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Musical Alternate Rule

prufock
2014-07-22, 08:58 AM
I'm planning an all bard campaign to take place later in the year. Details in the spoiler.

The PCs are all bards that have formed a troupe in hopes of making it big. Each bard should focus on a different instrument as well as different "bardic focus," such as a primary spellcaster bard, face bard, healer bard, melee, ranged, etc. They start at level 1 trying to secure their first big gig (a local tavern, whoopieee!) eventually gaining levels (probably to 6) and hoping to make the big time... playing at the castle for the royals. In between they have to deal with all the pitfalls of a musician's life (shady bookers, no money for rent, in-fighting, lead singer disease) as well as more fantasy-type adventures and Scooby Doo-esque mysteries!
I would like to introduce some sort of variant add-on rule - like action points, force points, conviction. As an example with a different theme, I have a "weird west" setting in which each player gets 2 poker chips, which they can cash in to draw a card from a standard deck (plus 2 jokers). Each card does something different, from adding the number on the card to auto-success or auto-failure.

I would like something similar, but with a musical theme. It should require no actual musical talent, but relate to musical theory or terminology in some way. All suggestions are welcome. The more creative the better!

(I'm also considering using a tweak on the Event-Based Reputation variant whereby the PCs earn rep but have to spend it to use it - ie it is a consumable resource).

Thanks in advance.

prufock
2014-07-23, 06:58 AM
No ideas on this? I guess not a lot of musicians here :smalltongue:

PraxisVetli
2014-07-23, 02:20 PM
I think part of the lack of response is that you don't seem to have any definitive questions.

IAmTehDave
2014-07-23, 04:50 PM
Fantasy Craft has, as a core mechanic, Reputation; it's a currency that you earn from adventures that you can use to buy renown, (reputation levels with various factions) magic items, (They don't have a Silver price attached) a house, (or lodge, or permanent room at an inn, etc.) or Contacts. I think that a system like that would go well with the "build your rep to play bigger and better shows" and such. You can also spend Reputation to buy temporary training in skills or feats.

And I really like how FC does action points. They add an amount to every roll based on your level, you get a number based on your level + any feats that add, OR you can spend them to "activate" crits or certain feats and abilities.

Cruiser1
2014-07-23, 05:22 PM
I would like to introduce some sort of variant add-on rule - like action points, force points, conviction. Each card does something different, from adding the number on the card to auto-success or auto-failure. I would like something similar, but with a musical theme. It should require no actual musical talent, but relate to musical theory or terminology in some way.
So you're looking for ideas for cards in an "action point" deck, which have a musical theme? Here are some random ideas:

Just "beat" it: You and all allies may immediately take an extra move action.
Taking "notes": The DM will tell you one piece of information you're not aware of that helps your current situation, but that you could have been aware of if you had been looking/listening in the right manner.
"Band" together: You and all allies get a +4 awesomeness bonus to AC, for this turn only.
C Sharp: You gain true seeing for the remainder of the encounter.
Higher octave: Add 7 to a die roll of your choice. Natural 1 isn't a failure.
Satyr's pipes: One enemy has their relation to you improved by one step or to friendly (whichever is better) for this turn only.
One hit wonder: Select any other card of your choice in the deck, and use its effects.
The show must go on: You gain the effects of Delay Death and Beastland Ferocity for the encounter, and can't die or fall unconscious due to lack of hp.

prufock
2014-07-23, 07:47 PM
Fantasy Craft has, as a core mechanic, Reputation; it's a currency that you earn from adventures that you can use to buy renown, (reputation levels with various factions) magic items, (They don't have a Silver price attached) a house, (or lodge, or permanent room at an inn, etc.) or Contacts. I think that a system like that would go well with the "build your rep to play bigger and better shows" and such. You can also spend Reputation to buy temporary training in skills or feats.
This sounds similar to what I want to do with reputation, points that you can collect and spend on story stuff.

So you're looking for ideas for cards in an "action point" deck, which have a musical theme? Here are some random ideas:

Just "beat" it: You and all allies may immediately take an extra move action.
Taking "notes": The DM will tell you one piece of information you're not aware of that helps your current situation, but that you could have been aware of if you had been looking/listening in the right manner.
"Band" together: You and all allies get a +4 awesomeness bonus to AC, for this turn only.
C Sharp: You gain true seeing for the remainder of the encounter.
Higher octave: Add 7 to a die roll of your choice. Natural 1 isn't a failure.
Satyr's pipes: One enemy has their relation to you improved by one step or to friendly (whichever is better) for this turn only.
One hit wonder: Select any other card of your choice in the deck, and use its effects.
The show must go on: You gain the effects of Delay Death and Beastland Ferocity for the encounter, and can't die or fall unconscious due to lack of hp.

These are pretty cool, I feel like they would be better served as bardic music abilities or something. Thanks though.

It doesn't have to be a card draw, that's for a different setting. It could even be something like hitting a note on a xylophone...