PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Two Questions, not much.

Doc_Maynot
2014-07-22, 09:38 AM
So, just some things that I was looking at and were thinking about.

1. How would Factotum's Arcane Dilettante class feature interact with Deceptive Illumination, Dazzling Fire, Radiant Illumination, Instinctive Darkness, Intensify Darkness, and Blend into Shadows?

2. What is the forums stance for allowing classes not listed by a ACF to gain that class feature as long as the traded out features are still traded out? Like, a Beguiler giving up their Trapfinding for Mimic. I know it's a bad trade, but I'm still curious. Or a Wildshape Ranger giving up Wildshape at level 1 and their Animal Companion at level 4 for Shapeshifter?

AMFV
2014-07-22, 09:58 AM
So, just some things that I was looking at and were thinking about.

1. How would Factotum's Arcane Dilettante class feature interact with Deceptive Illumination, Dazzling Fire, Radiant Illumination, Instinctive Darkness, Intensify Darkness, and Blend into Shadows?

Since you have those abilities as an SLA they should work fine as long as you prepare them, naturally if you don't you'd lose the use of the feat (for not qualifying and also because it uses the abiltiies)

2. What is the forums stance for allowing classes not listed by a ACF to gain that class feature as long as the traded out features are still traded out? Like, a Beguiler giving up their Trapfinding for Mimic. I know it's a bad trade, but I'm still curious. Or a Wildshape Ranger giving up Wildshape at level 1 and their Animal Companion at level 4 for Shapeshifter?

It depends on the trade they should be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Doc_Maynot
2014-07-22, 10:05 AM
Since you have those abilities as an SLA they should work fine as long as you prepare them, naturally if you don't you'd lose the use of the feat (for not qualifying and also because it uses the abiltiies)
So the fact that most of those feats grant en extra daily use of it wouldn't matter?

AMFV
2014-07-22, 10:11 AM
So the fact that most of those feats grant en extra daily use of it wouldn't matter?

Well you cease to qualify for the feat if you don't have it prepared. So you'd have to ask your DM if you burned the prepared one first (losing your extra use) or burned the other first (getting two spells basically). I'd say that since a spell slot is clearly worth a feat and it's a bad use of one still. I'd probably allow you to cast it twice if you prepared it. But that will vary from group to group.

Doc_Maynot
2014-07-22, 11:33 AM
Well you cease to qualify for the feat if you don't have it prepared. So you'd have to ask your DM if you burned the prepared one first (losing your extra use) or burned the other first (getting two spells basically). I'd say that since a spell slot is clearly worth a feat and it's a bad use of one still. I'd probably allow you to cast it twice if you prepared it. But that will vary from group to group.

Ah, thank you for the input and I totally see where you are coming from with that and it does make sense. I've just been looking at this stuff and been curious as to the playground's stance, and while I could have entered the first question to the RAW Q&A thread, the second I knew I could not.

nedz
2014-07-22, 04:19 PM
2. Is called ACF Chaining, and it's not RAW. Some DMs may allow it though, but they'd have to be a tad permissive.

I'll have Scribe Scroll instead of 1d6 sneak on my Spellthief please.
Wizard ACF Allows you to swap Scribe Scroll for a Fighter Feat, Fighter ACF allows you to swap a Fighter Feat for 1d6 Sneak.
Spellthieves only need 1d6 sneak to steal spells, stolen spells can then be scribed onto a scroll (This would also require a permissive DM who allows you to claim that you know a spell if you have stolen it, which I don't think is RAW).