PDA

View Full Version : Hazrond's Wonderful World of Weapons

Hazrond
2014-07-22, 12:47 PM
So i was wondering, what are some of the wackiest and most off the wall / useful weapons outside of the normal list from the PHB? ill add to the list as you guys suggest em but heres two of my favorites, Kusarigama, a light 1d6
1-handed exotic weapon from the DMG page 145, it has all the trip bonuses and such of the spiked chain and is additionally really cool, and the Swordcane, a 1d6 one handed martial weapon from the Cityscape Web Enhancement, it is a normal rapier but with a high DC active search to even realize its a weapon :smallbiggrin:

So ill make a list in a Spoiler here, give me whatever ya got,

Kusarigama, Exotic, Light, Medium 1d6, Small 1d4, bonuses to trip and disarm, can drop to avoid being tripped, Finesse-able.
Swordcane, Martial, One-Handed, Medium 1d6, Small 1d4, Finesse-able.
Sugliin, Exotic, Two-Handed, ? 2d8,

Zaq
2014-07-22, 01:01 PM
The harpoon, from Frostburn, isn't that great on its own, but if you build for it, it's damned effective. Specifically, you want to be an Incarnate (or a Totemist, but why's a Totemist using a manufactured weapon?) who poaches the Mauling Gauntlets from the Soulborn list. See, the harpoon lets you make an opposed Strength check to keep your opponent stuck on a leash. The Mauling Gauntlets give you a massive, massive bonus to Strength checks, so you can quite effectively limit where your opponent can and cannot go. It takes investment, but it's downright hilarious when it works.

The sugliin, also from Frostburn, also deserves some mention. It's not an effective weapon. At all. It takes not one but two feats to use it effectively, and then it's just 2d8, and we all know that weapon dice aren't where effective damage comes from. (Though it's worth mentioning that it's basically the only weapon where Monkey Grip even comes close to being worthwhile, not that it's generally a good idea to trade three whole feats for a high weapon die size.) But it's a tree. With antlers stuck to it. The picture is a thing of beauty. It's gotta be one of the silliest-looking weapons ever, and when you're outdoing the damned spiked chain in terms of how goofy your weapon looks, you've earned some measure of respect from me. I mean, who doesn't want to be whacking people with an antler-tree?

Deadline
2014-07-22, 01:31 PM
There are five weapons I can think of that come from the Monster Manuals:

Flindbar (from the Flind Entry in ... Monster Manual 2?)
Kuo-Toan Harpoon (from MMV)
Dragonsplit (from MMIV, pg. 151)
Greathammer (from MMIV, pg. 101)
Maquahuitl (from MMIV, pg. 89)

Darrin
2014-07-22, 03:01 PM
Bola Flail (5 GP, Ghostwalk). This is the Lamborghini of debuff weapons: make a ranged touch attack to throw it at your opponent, at which point they have to make a DC 15 Str or Dex check to avoid being tripped. Regardless of whether they were tripped, your target must then make a grapple check against your attack roll or they are considered grappled by the bola flail. They can extricate themselves from the grapple with a full-round action. Make it out of earthsilk rope and add the dwarvencraft template to make it harder to sunder/break: hardness 3, HP 20.