PDA

View Full Version : Introducing players to the game in the middle of a campaign

NamelessNPC
2014-07-22, 01:12 PM
So, we are in the middle of Rise of the Runelords, lvl 8, and two new guys are joining the group. The thing is they are new to the game, and starting at lvl 8 may be too complicated for them. So, what would you recommend? I'd rather avoid abandoning RotRL, but I'm sure it will be too much for them

Ingus
2014-07-22, 01:19 PM
A good strategy is to put at hold your campaign and introducing them with a couple of one-shot adventures, just to get the idea.
Then, most of the rest depends on your level of optimization: if you've a really optimized party, it is advisable to help alot those two guys.
Otherwise, a good choice is to give them character both easy to play and difficult to screw (druid, I'm looking at you!)
Giving them a fighter or a rogue is usually a bad idea: without tactical knowledge and being already less good than the others, they are prone to go in the "I swing the sword" area, which is very unfun (me myself, I started with a very important cleric [unfortunately, Goldmoon of Que'shu - which is unfortunate largely because my master described me as the character and a lot of his friends came playing to see the gorgeous tall blonde :smallbiggrin:])