PDA

View Full Version : Where's the staff?

Quild
2014-07-22, 04:56 PM
I'm surprised that we haven't seen Durkon's staff since #939 if I'm correct. Not even in #946.
So where it is now?

Did Durkon already learned protection from daylight and doesn't fancy that item despite the others spells it contains (I doubt it, I double-doubt it)?
Did Durkon kept it somewhere safe, not wanting it to fall from the ship? Despite the fact that if something happens, he may need it (sky is quite covered though)?
Is it not drawn unlike Elan's lute (since graphic update) or Roy's sword or his shield? Doubt it as well.

The second one seems the more plausible to me, somehow, I'm still surprised.

Could Durkon have transfered the staff magical powers to his shield or another item? Doesn't seem very likely to me.

Or do you have other ideas?

Keltest
2014-07-22, 04:58 PM
He probably keeps it below deck so he doesn't do something dumb and drop it overboard by mistake.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-22, 10:33 PM
He said he was going to work on it in 946, so it seems unlikely he doesn't need the staff yet. I think he is currently not using it because the sun is not out and he does not need it. In fact, when the sun does come out, I expect him to stay in the ship so as not to waste the staff's charges.

Kish
2014-07-22, 10:42 PM
The staff is in staffspace.

Most of the Order's weapons are not depicted when they're not in combat.

kgato503
2014-07-22, 11:07 PM
The staff is in staffspace.

Most of the Order's weapons are not depicted when they're not in combat.

I agree with this. After all, we don't see his hammer, or Haley's quiver. For that matter none of the team's packs/bags are shown, unless it is plot important. Therefore, I think that the staff is right next to his hammer, in hammer-space (let's face it, the hammer was there first, therefore the space is named after it. Similarly, Haley's storage space is arrow-space, and V's is familiarraven Blackwing-space)

Gift Jeraff
2014-07-22, 11:10 PM
The hammer was possibly left behind in the pyramid.

rodneyAnonymous
2014-07-23, 12:02 AM
Haley does pull arrows out of nowhere, but Durkon's hammer gets drawn a lot. (Not always, like his shield, but a lot.) Last time we saw it, it was on the floor beneath a pyramid, which exploded.

thereaper
2014-07-23, 02:24 AM
It is not shown for the same reason that Malack put the staff down when fighting Durkon.

It's one more thing for Rich to draw.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-23, 05:42 AM
I agree with this. After all, we don't see his hammer, or Haley's quiver. For that matter none of the team's packs/bags are shown, unless it is plot important. Therefore, I think that the staff is right next to his hammer, in hammer-space (let's face it, the hammer was there first, therefore the space is named after it. Similarly, Haley's storage space is arrow-space, and V's is familiarraven Blackwing-space)

We have actually seen Haley's storage, and it's pretty similar to hammer-space. It looks like she keeps quivers of arrows in her bags of holding.

dtilque
2014-07-24, 01:14 AM
We have actually seen Haley's storage, and it's pretty similar to hammer-space. It looks like she keeps quivers of arrows in her bags of holding.

Yes, but she must have at least one quiver not in the Bag of Holding. She can't be reaching in there in the middle of combat.

There's three items that are always shown: Roy's sword, Haley's bow and Durkon's shield. These are all large items and the staff is also a large item. So I expect it's always going to be shown when it's on-stage.

As for Durkon's hammer, I doubt Durkula picked it up after vampirization. If Durkon ever gets unvampirized, he'll no doubt get a fancy new and improved +3 or +4 hammer.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-24, 05:43 AM
Yes, but she must have at least one quiver not in the Bag of Holding. She can't be reaching in there in the middle of combat.

Oh, is that how it works? I thought she could just reach in when she needed to grab more arrows. My mistake.

dtilque
2014-07-24, 06:17 AM
Oh, is that how it works? I thought she could just reach in when she needed to grab more arrows. My mistake.

Well, she could, but it probably wouldn't be advisable. From d20srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofHolding)

Retrieving a specific item from a bag of holding is a move action—unless the bag contains more than an ordinary backpack would hold, in which case retrieving a specific item is a full-round action.

Her bag looks like it contains far more than a backpack, so she would have to use a full round just to get an arrow. I hope you don't think that's a good idea. I'd say it'd be much better to have one or two full quivers outside the BoH and just restock from the BoH after combat is over.

With a box
2014-07-24, 12:50 PM
Could Haley have triple H or Belt of Many Pockets?
lt' a move action like actual quiver
(are arrows too long to pit in?)

Keltest
2014-07-24, 01:05 PM
Obviously she has a bag of holding filled with nothing but arrows on her back, which also happens to be invisible.

Porthos
2014-07-24, 02:02 PM

It's been implied in the thread, but... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0904.html) :smalltongue:

:belkar:: Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all of the fiddly little details?
:haley:: I know, right? It's called, "Suspension of Disbelief," Roy!

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-24, 03:04 PM
Well, she could, but it probably wouldn't be advisable. From d20srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofHolding)

Her bag looks like it contains far more than a backpack, so she would have to use a full round just to get an arrow. I hope you don't think that's a good idea. I'd say it'd be much better to have one or two full quivers outside the BoH and just restock from the BoH after combat is over.

All right, thank you for informing me. That'll teach me to make assumptions about items without reading about then first.

Reathin
2014-07-24, 07:51 PM
It's probably currently in "abstract" mode, since they're not in combat.

As for whether he's learned the spell or not...Normally, I'd say no, but since he's on a direct mission from Hel and getting her attention enough to hold a full conversation (and she isn't exactly distracted with lots of clergy :smallbiggrin: ) she may have spent a few rounds learning the spell and teaching it to him in much the same way Malack taught Durkon the Mass Protection from Negative Energy But With a Twist.