PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] dive attack +pounce

Catalysis
2014-07-22, 06:43 PM
Another quick question: a dive attack works like a charge so, can it combine with the pounce barbarian's class feature?

EDIT: the dive attack can be made with a peircing weapon as per the improved dragon wings feat, hence why I'm asking if I can full attack while diving.

(Second)EDIT: does the twisted charge skill tricks works with a dive attack?

Catalysis
2014-07-22, 08:07 PM
Sooo, I've made some search and apparently, a dive attack is a charge action, wich qualify it for all charge related effect... I guess.

OldTrees1
2014-07-22, 09:42 PM
Correct.

There is some debate as to whether RAW permits Dive Attacks without some special permission (ala Twisting Charge's 90 degree turn and Up the Hill's not slowed ascent)

Catalysis
2014-07-22, 10:32 PM
Correct.

There is some debate as to whether RAW permits Dive Attacks without some special permission (ala Twisting Charge's 90 degree turn and Up the Hill's not slowed ascent)

Whoa! thanks for the answer!

... using up the hill to move up at full speed, that's a bit cheesy... Would freedom of movement let you do that, though?(moving up at full speed regardless of your maneuverability)

OldTrees1
2014-07-22, 11:19 PM
Whoa! thanks for the answer!

... using up the hill to move up at full speed, that's a bit cheesy... Would freedom of movement let you do that, though?(moving up at full speed regardless of your maneuverability)

I would not consider the skill trick cheesy, especially since it is limited to 1-2* times per encounter.

Freedom of movement would not work (air is not a spell nor is it water).

*Uncanny Trickster

Andezzar
2014-07-23, 01:07 AM
Another quick question: a dive attack works like a charge so, can it combine with the pounce barbarian's class feature?While you do get the extra attacks from Pounce, (un)fortunately only the the first attack gets double damage.

Catalysis
2014-07-23, 07:10 AM
While you do get the extra attacks from Pounce, (un)fortunately only the the first attack gets double damage.

Really?:smallfrown:

I don't mind playing by the rules, but I need to be sure, can you cite your source please?

@OldTrees1: than I will definetly take this trick!

Thank you both for the infos!

Darrin
2014-07-23, 07:31 AM
While you do get the extra attacks from Pounce, (un)fortunately only the the first attack gets double damage.

It's ambiguous. The text from Improved Dragon Wings:

"You can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but you must fly a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. You can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage."

The text assumes you only have a single piercing attack. It says nothing about what happens if you add Pounce (Ex).

The text from the MM allows multiple attacks, but only if they are claws/talons:

"A creature that flies can make dive attacks. A dive attack works just like a charge, but the diving creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. It can make only claw or talon attacks, but these deal double damage."

Based on the MM text, I'd say the designer intent was most likely to double the damage on all piercing attacks. But it really boils down to a DM's Call.

Catalysis
2014-07-23, 07:58 AM
It's ambiguous. The text from Improved Dragon Wings:

"You can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but you must fly a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. You can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage."

The text assumes you only have a single piercing attack. It says nothing about what happens if you add Pounce (Ex).

The text from the MM allows multiple attacks, but only if they are claws/talons:

"A creature that flies can make dive attacks. A dive attack works just like a charge, but the diving creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. It can make only claw or talon attacks, but these deal double damage."

Based on the MM text, I'd say the designer intent was most likely to double the damage on all piercing attacks. But it really boils down to a DM's Call.

Understood! Thanks for answering!