PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mini Magic fix idea

Tanuki Tales
2014-07-22, 06:45 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I know that actually fixing magic would require an entire overhaul of the whole system and a re-write of every spell in the game. This idea is not meant to be that comprehensive:

So, the idea that just came up in another thread I'm in is that full casters only get up to 4th to 5th level spells (this can, of course, be scaled back as necessary), but still get up to 9th level spell slots. Spell slots above 4th/5th though can only be used for metamagicked spells or casting lower level spells.

It doesn't fix magic, as there are broken spells at every level and some spells can be even more so with metamagics, but it would remove some of the nastier "I win" buttons while still leaving options for higher level games.

caimbuel
2014-07-22, 09:26 PM
I know people have issues with vatican magic. Then there is martials vs magic. But to make changes that big I would suggest just looking for a game that does things closer to what you like. Changes that big will go on forever as more material is published.

Vhaidara
2014-07-22, 09:43 PM
You still have Polymorph, but otherwise you got rid of a lot of high power spells. Could be functional.

@caimbuel: Are you referring to the other systems? Because 3.5 hasn't had anything new in years, outside of homebrew.

Tanuki Tales
2014-07-22, 10:09 PM
I know people have issues with vatican magic. Then there is martials vs magic. But to make changes that big I would suggest just looking for a game that does things closer to what you like. Changes that big will go on forever as more material is published.

Yes, because it's crazy to want to homebrew or house rule things.

Vhaidara
2014-07-22, 10:14 PM
Hey, no need to be sarcastic. Many people do have issues with Vatican magic. I, personally, think it would be kind of awesome if the Pope could cast Create Water, and Heroes' Feast, and the like. However, I have more issues with Vancian casting. I mean Time Stop? Seriously?

Shinken
2014-07-22, 10:57 PM
@caimbuel: Are you referring to the other systems? Because 3.5 hasn't had anything new in years, outside of homebrew.
There is a Pathfinder tag in the title.
Also, there was an official 3.5 adventure released last year, Murder in Baldur's Gate.

Let me preface this by saying that I know that actually fixing magic would require an entire overhaul of the whole system and a re-write of every spell in the game. This idea is not meant to be that comprehensive:

So, the idea that just came up in another thread I'm in is that full casters only get up to 4th to 5th level spells (this can, of course, be scaled back as necessary), but still get up to 9th level spell slots. Spell slots above 4th/5th though can only be used for metamagicked spells or casting lower level spells.

It doesn't fix magic, as there are broken spells at every level and some spells can be even more so with metamagics, but it would remove some of the nastier "I win" buttons while still leaving options for higher level games.

I've been doing this in my games for years, though I cap it at level 6.