PDA

View Full Version : OT: Does anyone here play the iron kingdoms RPG?

kakita
2007-03-02, 12:03 PM
I ask this because I'm creating a homebrew world that draws heavily on the iron kingdoms d20 system, and I don't know if anyone will get the classes or rules that I mention.

And I'm pretty sure stating specific rules or classes is a no no on these boards, unless I'm mistaken?

Attilargh
2007-03-02, 12:43 PM
You can't post non-OGL stuff like full class stat blocks, no.

There's a few people (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34945&highlight=iron+kingdoms) who know a thing or two about IK around here somewhere.

Matthew
2007-03-03, 09:08 AM
Yeah, basically, just make a post or two and see where it leads you. There are a few folks familiar with Iron Kingdoms. Also, consider posting the same material on other forums for a more rounded view.

kakita
2007-03-03, 09:39 AM
Alrighty... thanks a bunch for that. I think I'll post on one or two forums then... once I get everything down

Sir Giacomo
2007-03-03, 12:57 PM
Hi Kakita,

I can well understand your fascination with the Iron Kingdoms setting. I can recommend in particular the witchfire campaign.
Last year I DMed a homebrew campagin based on it. Just added some kind of dwarf/human civilisation into it in the middle of a civil war like that in England in the 17th century, plus an Inquisition, plus Salem/witch elements (make sure you have a low magic campaign for maximum effect), and a lot more intrigue. The best part of it was to introduce several NPC girls of sorcerer level 1-3 who could be suspected of being behind the evil plot and the main witch using magic jar on the girls to confuse the PCs. Was fun!

- Giacomo

Attilargh
2007-03-03, 01:17 PM
Just added some kind of dwarf/human civilisation into it in the middle of a civil war like that in England in the 17th century, plus an Inquisition, plus Salem/witch elements (make sure you have a low magic campaign for maximum effect)
Oh, something like Cygnar during Vinter the Elder's reign?

Sir Giacomo
2007-03-03, 01:35 PM
Oh, something like Cygnar during Vinter the Elder's reign?

Hmm, don't know that one so can't tell. :smallsmile:

- Giacomo

Attilargh
2007-03-03, 02:14 PM
See, King Leto Raelthorne of Cygnar had enough of his brother's - Vinter Raelthorne IV, also known as the Elder - Inquisition-slash-secret-police, witch-hunts, madness and general evilry. Then, with the help of the Storm Knights and other personnel of the Cygnaran military, including the then-member of the Royal Guard, poster-boy-to-be Coleman Stryker, he fought his way to Vinter's throne room, engaged him in single combat and was about to get his ass back on a platter when a probably divine intervention switched the roles and Vinter found himself defeated.

So that's civil war, Inquisition and witch-hunts all in one. I love the setting.

Nahal
2007-03-04, 05:46 PM
Plus it has warjacks. Warjacks are awesome.

Sir Giacomo
2007-03-05, 11:00 AM
See, King Leto Raelthorne of Cygnar had enough of his brother's - Vinter Raelthorne IV, also known as the Elder - Inquisition-slash-secret-police, witch-hunts, madness and general evilry. Then, with the help of the Storm Knights and other personnel of the Cygnaran military, including the then-member of the Royal Guard, poster-boy-to-be Coleman Stryker, he fought his way to Vinter's throne room, engaged him in single combat and was about to get his ass back on a platter when a probably divine intervention switched the roles and Vinter found himself defeated.

So that's civil war, Inquisition and witch-hunts all in one. I love the setting.

Wow, awesome! I admit I only got the Witchfire trilogy and it did not occur to me the extent of the whole campaign setting's similarity of the stuff I came up with.
I guess what the witchfire campaign does best is: inspiration. You need not play the modules 1:1 (although they are also really good), but the whole setting, layout, ideas, dungeons etc. are highly atmospheric.
Maybe where my scenario deviated most was that the country was ruled by a strange golem-like creature which the party later found out had been already gone for 40 years, replaced by a demon prince twisting everything slowly to his desires in the once-flourising country. As the only one with true magic powers, the demon prince turned the inquisition order (which originally was there to research scientific and technical stuff from a lost, 20th-century like civilisation, including old metro stations below the city of Corvis) into an order bent on finding those few people left with a talent for magic (mostly witches).
Due to the actions of the demon, a civil war ensued between democracy-loving people suspicious of their ancient ruler gone mad on the one hand, and mornachist-like dwarves and humans on the other hand.

A, the campaign of ICK was really one of the best. I'd recommend it to everyone.

- Giacomo