PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Clown

walfulninja
2014-07-22, 07:54 PM
So I have this idea floating around my head: why aren't there more heroic clowns? I've seen plenty of creepy/scary clowns before but no heroic clowns. So I'd like you guys/gals to help me build just that: a heroic clown. I have this picture in my head of him going into town, giving coins to beggers and entertaining children, but also laying the smack down on demons. So I want to see what you guys can come up with to help me.Good luck!

mr_odd
2014-07-22, 09:06 PM
I would assume some kind of bard build. Maybe you could possibly prestige into Master of Masks?

Sith_Happens
2014-07-22, 09:21 PM
Because clowns are creepy, that's why.

Rubik
2014-07-22, 09:26 PM
All the clowns you see are scary/creepy because clowns are scary/creepy.

Coulrophobia (fear of clowns) is actually extremely common, and it's likely because exposure to them as children is traumatizing.

Asking why there are no heroic clowns is like asking why there are no heroic psychopathic murderers in horror movies.

Slipperychicken
2014-07-22, 10:29 PM
Class: Bard, Rogue, and Factotum all make excellent clowns.

Skills:
Perform(Comedy)
Perform(Acting)
Craft(Balloon Animals)
Sleight of Hand (for "magic tricks")

Feats:
Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Fish)

Items:
Masterwork Tools (Perform (Comedy)) = 50gp for clown suit + other items like those water-squirters and balls. Also functions as masterwork tools for Intimidate.
Clown-Car of Holding (Tiny animated toy car, which is enchanted to function as a Bag of Holding. Also put a bottle of air inside. That gets it an 80ft land speed, and the ability to store an improbable number of creatures).
Stilts (they also function as 10ft poles in a pinch!)

Weapon:
Kife (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syM3DojPYns) or pencil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KX3OriDpgg).

Dawgmoah
2014-07-22, 10:34 PM
Why not? If Superman can be a mild-mannered reporter, why not dress up a hero as a clown that no one would ever expect as being that hero? Could be any class though a Bard or Rogue (or one of the derived PrCs) would work out well. Make them a Diplomancer.

Guards running up to where they were told people were fighting to find a group of people just standing around.

"What happened?"
"That guy with the glowing red eyes and scimitar and the Conan looking guy were getting ready to brawl when some clown talked them out of it."
"What did he look like?"
"Well, a clown."

Bullet06320
2014-07-23, 01:23 AM
Because clowns are creepy, that's why.

um, exactly

I have seen a clown assassin Prc, its 3rd party, but just adds to the creepiness that way

walfulninja
2014-07-23, 08:13 AM
I would assume some kind of bard build. Maybe you could possibly prestige into Master of Masks?

Which book is that class in?

walfulninja
2014-07-23, 08:22 AM
Hahaha wouldn't it be funny if the BBEG was afriad of clowns?

Mook : Sir, the murder hobos have breached the dungeon
BBEG: Fools, they will never beat me *evil laugh*
Mook: Um s-sir, their l-leader is a-a-a
BBEG: A what? Spit it out fool!
Mook : *swallows loudly* A clown sir
BBEG: Mother of god...

hamishspence
2014-07-23, 08:23 AM
Jester class from Paizo's Dragon Compendium might do.

2014-07-23, 11:30 AM
So, the current Iron Chef competition is based around making characters with 10 levels in the Spellsword PrC. Someone built Curly (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17753303&postcount=315), a CE jester who's taken his slapstick routine a little too far...

Clowns are rarely depicted as heroes because clowns are creepy. I thought Curly might be relevant to that.

Telonius
2014-07-23, 11:55 AM
The one example (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20050808#.U8_oK_lSauk) that comes to mind works because the original characters are probably a little bit creepier than the average clown.

Psyren
2014-07-23, 12:05 PM
Heroic Clown you say?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/AllenWalkerCrownedClown.jpg

(His class is probably cleric but still.)

ArqArturo
2014-07-23, 12:18 PM
Add exalted features, for extra 'WTF'. The idea of the Heavens endorsing clowns is creepier :p.

Zaq
2014-07-23, 12:19 PM
I think just a straight up Wizard could fit the bill. Plenty of effects can be taken as clown tricks turned up to 11.

Bard is the obvious choice, of course. It may or may not be the best choice, but it wouldn't be too hard to take Perform (Slapstick) and, once again, a lot of clownish spell effects. (Hell, a Bard can be justified in having Entrance of the Gladiators playing in the background pretty much constantly.)

ArqArturo
2014-07-23, 12:25 PM
I think just a straight up Wizard could fit the bill. Plenty of effects can be taken as clown tricks turned up to 11.

Bard is the obvious choice, of course. It may or may not be the best choice, but it wouldn't be too hard to take Perform (Slapstick) and, once again, a lot of clownish spell effects. (Hell, a Bard can be justified in having Entrance of the Gladiators playing in the background pretty much constantly.)

Sorcerers too (Personal experience).

XmonkTad
2014-07-23, 01:11 PM
You don't need to take perform to be a clown. Remember that tumble and slight of hand can both be used for performances. Thief Acrobat makes tumble better in combat, and the feat Cutpurse from Dragon Compendium and that quick draw skill trick make Slight of hand useful for applying sneak attack.

You could become a spymaster and have one of its cover identities be a clown.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-23, 02:22 PM
Which book is that class in?Complete Scoundrel, though Wizards threw it up on the web (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070105a&page=3), too.

I'm going to third Jester and be slightly disappointed that third isn't fifth or higher by now.

A Paladin of Freedom dedicated to Olidammara would be pretty on-theme too, though. Fighting evil and spreading the ideals of laughter and joy to all the people of the world. For when we laugh, we need not fear the dark.

nedz
2014-07-23, 03:24 PM
Jester Spellthief seems an obvious choice.

Jester Spellthief / Sha'ir / Spellwarp Sniper maybe ?
Just blast those people with your crazy Rays whilst your Gen cracks jokes before haring off to grab another spell.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-23, 03:30 PM
What level would you be looking at building for, walfulninja?

Troacctid
2014-07-23, 05:42 PM
There are plenty of non-creepy clowns. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NonIronicClown)

Rubik
2014-07-23, 06:03 PM
There are plenty of non-creepy clowns. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NonIronicClown)I haven't seen any yet. That entire tropes page is still filled with creeps and creepiness, like the one in the picture, whose entire purpose is to inflict obesity, heart disease, and diabetes on unsuspecting children.

Ronald McDonald is likely the demon lord of disgusting, greasy GMO foods and chronic artificial preservative-related health problems.

walfulninja
2014-07-23, 07:32 PM
What level would you be looking at building for, walfulninja?

If it wouldn't be too inconvenient,, I would like a 1-20 break down kind of thing

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-23, 08:50 PM
Hmm... rules constraints? Strictly 3.5, Pathfinder content available, thoughts on third party and/or homebrew?

walfulninja
2014-07-24, 11:49 AM
Hmm... rules constraints? Strictly 3.5, Pathfinder content available, thoughts on third party and/or homebrew?

Strictly 3.5e, no homebrew, third party allowed.

Dimers
2014-07-24, 01:45 PM
Clowns are rarely heroic because heroic and ridiculous rarely go together. How many characters can be (innocently) silly while still being good at facing all the world's ills, including the violent and monstrous ones? A few, perhaps, but a very small number compared to the total number of characters.

hamishspence
2014-07-24, 01:51 PM
40K Harlequins, when cast in a protagonist role, might fit.

atemu1234
2014-07-24, 01:54 PM
Maybe a jester with a level of battle dancer for the AC boost?

walfulninja
2014-07-24, 02:29 PM
Clowns are rarely heroic because heroic and ridiculous rarely go together. How many characters can be (innocently) silly while still being good at facing all the world's ills, including the violent and monstrous ones? A few, perhaps, but a very small number compared to the total number of characters.

"A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hasn't ended" -Batman

atemu1234
2014-07-24, 02:35 PM
"A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hasn't ended" -Batman

"And then pulling a quarter out of his ear and slapping him with a fish."

Zombulian
2014-07-24, 02:59 PM
Metal Focuses Wu Jen could work. Using things like Metal Scarf and Decapitating Scarf to turn your streamers into deadly weapons. Have all your fire and water effects come from the flower on your shirt.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-25, 05:29 AM
Strictly 3.5e, no homebrew, third party allowed.Well there goes one part (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?122824-%283-5%29-Discipline-Falling-Anvil-v-2-%28P-E-A-C-H-%29) of a pretty decent plan. :smalltongue:

I have other ideas, though. We'll see if I get around to putting them together or not.

"And then pulling a quarter out of his ear and slapping him with a fish.""The world said I could either cry or move on. The commissioner showed me a third option. He showed me that I could laugh. And I'm going to show the people of this city that they can do the same. Criminals rely on fear, Alfred. They rely on superstition and cowardice. But show the people what a joke they are, teach the people to laugh at the dark, and they'll never be afraid again."

atemu1234
2014-07-25, 12:51 PM
"The world said I could either cry or move on. The commissioner showed me a third option. He showed me that I could laugh. And I'm going to show the people of this city that they can do the same. Criminals rely on fear, Alfred. They rely on superstition and cowardice. But show the people what a joke they are, teach the people to laugh at the dark, and they'll never be afraid again."

I feel like you took my silly comment and turned into an origin story for Bruce Wayne becoming the Joker.

SoraWolf7
2014-07-25, 12:52 PM
Now that I've had some time to think about it, if you want to build a Heroic Clown, build Bugs Bunny or the Warner Brothers and their sister, Dot.

Hear me out. These characters are tricksters in their own right. They crack jokes, they pull gags, and they make themselves look either smart, crazy, or both while making others look like fools because they were outwitted.

This sounds like a Bard or Jester, both focusing on Perform (Comedy) as their main skill. And note that while Bugs and the Warners never really throw a punch, they are not above using comedic weaponry such as cannons or pies.

Rubik
2014-07-25, 06:40 PM
Now that I've had some time to think about it, if you want to build a Heroic Clown, build Bugs Bunny or the Warner Brothers and their sister, Dot.

Hear me out. These characters are tricksters in their own right. They crack jokes, they pull gags, and they make themselves look either smart, crazy, or both while making others look like fools because they were outwitted.

This sounds like a Bard or Jester, both focusing on Perform (Comedy) as their main skill. And note that while Bugs and the Warners never really throw a punch, they are not above using comedic weaponry such as cannons or pies.We've already got an amalgamation of these ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC6YPQY0_28

Xaktsaroth
2014-07-25, 06:46 PM
Heroic Clown, you say?

http://www.strangekidsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/freakazoid-flashlight.png

SoraWolf7
2014-07-25, 07:12 PM
Also, just because you're fighting schtick is clown-like, doesn't mean you have to be a clown all the time. Take Eddie Valiant for example.

http://youtu.be/c8iyYjvNgmo