PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class [WIP] The Spellshaper

spikeof2010
2014-07-23, 12:12 AM
Currently, reading up on Ars Magica. I am only up to virtues, but I know about the magic system in that game. I love me some freeform :p. I saw this (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=37) and I was really interested, so I plan to rework it.

Spellshaper
HD:d6
BAB:1/2

CSpellshaper

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+0

+0

+2
1st Level Arcana, Arcana

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+3

3rd

+1

+1

+1

+3
2nd Level Arcana

4th

+2

+1

+1

+4

5th

+2

+1

+1

+4
3rd Level Arcana

6th

+3

+2

+2

+5

7th

+3

+2

+2

+5
4th Level Arcana

8th

+4

+2

+2

+6

9th

+4

+3

+3

+6
5th Level Arcana

10th

+5

+3

+3

+7
Combined Arcana

11th

+5

+3

+3

+7
6th Level Arcana

12th

+6/+1

+4

+4

+8

13th

+6/+1

+4

+4

+8
7th Level Arcana

14th

+7/+2

+4

+4

+9

15th

+7/+2

+5

+5

+9
8th Level Arcana

16th

+8/+3

+5

+5

+10

17th

+8/+3

+5

+5

+10
9th Level Arcana

18th

+9/+4

+6

+6

+11

19th

+9/+4

+6

+6

+11
10th level Arcana

20th

+10/+5

+6

+6

+12

Arcana (Sp): A spellshaper has the ability to perform spell-like abilities known as arcana. Unless otherwise specified an arcana functions like a certain mundane action, except that he uses his Charisma score in place of his Strength score, and his Intelligence score in place of his Dexterity score. He has knowledge of a number of arcana equal to his class level, plus 2 more at first level, usable at will. He may change his known arcana whenever he gains a level.

Combined Arcana (Sp): At 10th level, the spellshaper may use two base effects.

Arcana Effects:
The spellshaper constructs arcana by combining effects with a total level equal to half his spellshaper level or less (minimum 1). Some effects are marked as Base effects - each arcana must possess exactly one base effect.

0th Level Arcana

Attack (Base): Perform a melee attack dealing damage as if you wielded a longsword in one hand. For every two spellshaper levels you gain a +1 bonus on the attack roll.
Carry (Base): One item floats alongside you. You may carry a total weight of items equal to your normal carrying capacity (determined using Charisma in place of Strength).
Skill, Active (Base): Select one skill. You make an active check in that skill as a standard action, with no penalty for rushing. You gain a +1 bonus on this check per two spellshaper levels.
Skill, Passive (Base): Select one skill. As a standard action you may grant yourself a +1 bonus on passive checks with that skill per two spellshaper levels for 24 hours.

1st Level Arcana
Acid (Elemental): All damage dealt by the action becomes acid damage. You deal +1 damage per spellshaper level. If you combine multiple elemental effects the damage is divided evenly between all types.
Close (Range) : An action which could normally be performed at touch range is instead performed at Close range (25ft +5ft per caster level).
Cold (Elemental): All damage dealt by the action becomes cold damage. You deal +1 damage per spellshaper level. If you combine multiple elemental effects the damage is divided evenly between all types.
Electric (Elemental): All damage dealt by the action becomes electric damage. You deal +1 damage per spellshaper level. If you combine multiple elemental effects the damage is divided evenly between all types.
Fire (Elemental): All damage dealt by the action becomes fire damage. You deal +1 damage per spellshaper level. If you combine multiple elemental effects the damage is divided evenly between all types.

2nd Level Arcana
Empower (Metamagic): All damage dealt by the action is increased by +50%.
Medium (Range): An action which could normally be performed at touch range is instead performed at Medium range (100ft +10ft per caster level).
Sonic (Elemental): All damage dealt by the action becomes sonic damage. You deal +1 damage per spellshaper level. If you combine multiple elemental effects the damage is divided evenly between all types.
Push (Base): You may push a target away from you, to a maximum of 5' per 2 Spellshaper levels. If the target hits an obstacle, they take 1d6 damage.

3rd Level Arcana
Dispel (Base): You may create a dispel magic effect. Use your ranks in Spellcraft in place of your caster level, with no cap.
Flight (Base): You gain a fly speed equal to half your land speed with good maneuverability.
Force (Elemental): All damage dealt by the action becomes force damage. You deal +1 damage per spellshaper level. If you combine multiple elemental effects the damage is divided evenly between all types.
Long (Range): An action which could normally be performed at touch range is instead performed at Long (400ft +40ft per caster level).

4th Level Arcana
Quicken (Casting): You may perform the action as a swift action.

5th Level Arcana
Area (Shape): Your spell effects everyone within 5' per 5 class levels.

Ilinoris
2014-07-23, 09:55 AM
I know you're not done posting it all, but it seems kind of, at risk of being broken.
My first concern is the ability to change Arcana at each level gained. I personally think that is too often. At odd, or even levels would work better.
The 1st Arcana called "Close" sounds dangerous. Does this mean you technically have 35ft range with your longsword (from 0th level Arcana) at level 1?

That's all for now:smallsmile:

spikeof2010
2014-07-23, 01:24 PM
I know you're not done posting it all, but it seems kind of, at risk of being broken.
My first concern is the ability to change Arcana at each level gained. I personally think that is too often. At odd, or even levels would work better.
The 1st Arcana called "Close" sounds dangerous. Does this mean you technically have 35ft range with your longsword (from 0th level Arcana) at level 1?

That's all for now:smallsmile:

Considering Warlock gets something similar to this, It's not exactly overpowered. And as for switching out arcana, I might consider changing it to switch at every other level.

Dyhmas
2014-07-23, 08:25 PM
I agree that switching out Arcanas every level seems too much but not because it is overpowered or anything...neither is said damage. Making longsword attacks from afar is pretty much the only thing this class can do at 1st level without being brutally murdered.

On the Arcanas (a few ideas/thoughts):

1-Will Arcanas have save DCs? If so, they'll be based on Charisma or Inteligence?
2-Arcanas that mimic grappling, disarming and such? Not necessarily you perform the manuever, only something similar. Like with pushing, have the target make a save or be blown away?
3-The Dragonfire Adept's list of breath effects may shed some ideas on new Arcanas. (fail save and be slowed for 1 round? Yes, please!) Homebrewed effects could be good too...
4-Perhaps Arcanas that can only be applied when another one is in effect? I.E. you can add the Force Push (see second point) arcana only if you're using the Force arcana....or you can only add the Ice Cage (blergh name, basically entangles the target) arcana when using the Cold arcana?

So far, I aprrove this endeavor, since I was already a fan of prime32's first attempt. Altough it may not fix spellcasting, it can add a very interesting alternative.
Fluff-wise, this seems like what you'd get from someone who learned magic on their own, never knowing how it worked or having ever seen it being performed. I mean, even sorcerers know that you shape magic in the form of spells...what if they didn't?

Anyway, carry on!

-Dyhmas