PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] DMing for this group

Thurbane
2014-07-23, 12:29 AM
Hey all,

So, my new campaign is finally about to start.

So far, party composition is as follows (confirmed players):

Player 1: Human (?) Warblade
Player 2: Catfolk Rogue/Swashbuckler
Player 3: Illumian Duskblade

(Possible players):

Player 4: Human Warlock
Player 5: ??? ???

...player 4 and 5 are definite maybes at the moments, and if they are in, will probably be semi-NPCs due to the available of the players to make games.

So, my questions are: what are this parties obvious shortfallings? What would be the best class to suggest for Player 5, if he joins? And how as a DM should I tailor encounters so as not to hose this group?

My concerns are that, with no full casters, the group might have trouble with opponents with a lot of SLAs or resistances to melee attacks. Also, lack of a healing/buffing type would seem to hurt (although there will be enough UMD for Wands of CLW).

Relevant rules/houserules:

Starting at 1st level.

Character Generation is 4d6b3, with a single die re-roll (everyone rolled reasonably well, especially the Warlock).
Several classes are "NPC only", including all prepared casters (Sorcerer, Favored Soul, Bard, Dread Necro, Beguiler etc. are all OK, but Spirit Shaman is not). No psionic classes, and no Truenamers or Shadowcasters.
Most LA +0 races allowed, some LA +1 and LA +2 as well.
No Evil or CN alignments allowed.
Not that relevant, but there is Fighter change (4 skill points/level, from an expanded list); and Half-Orcs take -2 to Int OR Cha, not both.

All thoughts, suggestions, and feedback appreciated.

I want to make it a fun but challenging campaign for my players.

Cheers - T

Mountain
2014-07-23, 02:21 AM
So, my questions are: what are this parties obvious shortfallings? What would be the best class to suggest for Player 5, if he joins? And how as a DM should I tailor encounters so as not to hose this group?

Shortcomings? The ability to overcome Flesh to Stone or similar save-or-lose effects. As a DM, be conscious of what they can survive. Effects that cripple them temporarily (poison, disease, massive HP damage, etc.) could be an interesting challenge to overcome, however. Just realize that the party isn't going to have ready access to Break Enchantment or Stone to Flesh.

As for the fifth character, I definitely recommend a bard who focuses on inspire courage, and also takes the skills that the rogue/swashbuckler (daring outlaw?) didn't.

A melee-heavy party loves inspire courage.