PDA

View Full Version : DM Help from PF (summoner) to 3.5

Killer Angel
2014-07-23, 05:53 AM
The title said it all.
I'm going to run a 3.5 campaign, but one of the players would like to use a PF summoner (and i cannot say it will be the only one trying to use some PF's material).

Question(s): how can i deal with it? for example, concentration checks are very different from PF and 3.5. Should i give concentration as a skill to the summoner?
Is there a "conversion table" to use PF material with 3.5 rules?

Spore
2014-07-23, 06:29 AM
Most things are fine. Go from d8 to d6 HD, same basic progression as bards. Eidolons are basically mutated animal companions (again for the progression) but get outsider HD (d10 iirc). The evolutions are also fine but keep in mind that the diverse nature of eidolons can mean terrible abuse. Also look into any and all synthesist builds as you can do evil things with LA races and synthesists. To end it all off, I am not sure how badly the choice to pick class skills and the skilled evolution would screw over skill monkeys in 3.5.

Firest Kathon
2014-07-23, 08:50 AM
Paizo has created a guide (http://paizo.com/products/btpy89m6?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Conversion-Guide) to convert 3.5 to Pathfinder, so you could take the suggestions in this guide and reverse them.

Feint's End
2014-07-23, 09:59 AM
Most things are fine. Go from d8 to d6 HD, same basic progression as bards. Eidolons are basically mutated animal companions (again for the progression) but get outsider HD (d10 iirc). The evolutions are also fine but keep in mind that the diverse nature of eidolons can mean terrible abuse. Also look into any and all synthesist builds as you can do evil things with LA races and synthesists. To end it all off, I am not sure how badly the choice to pick class skills and the skilled evolution would screw over skill monkeys in 3.5.

Meh ... Summoner are fine as they are even in 3.5. Just change the skills and give them concentration and you are golden.

Sure they have a good melee but TOB classes are still on par so there should be no real problem.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-23, 10:44 AM
Meh ... Summoner are fine as they are even in 3.5. Just change the skills and give them concentration and you are golden.

Sure they have a good melee but TOB classes are still on par so there should be no real problem.

Pretty much this, the summoner is already a beast of a class so really keeping as it is won't hurt the balance.

Mainly because when it comes to PF summoner, there is no such thing as balance :p

Killer Angel
2014-07-23, 12:35 PM
Basically, I'll keep the adjustments at a minimum level, and roll with it. Seems legit. :smallwink:

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-23, 12:38 PM
Basically, I'll keep the adjustments at a minimum level, and roll with it. Seems legit. :smallwink:

Pretty much, I mean, if you are letting the players optimization or play whatever they want... Well I doubt it will be the most broken thing at your table.

Killer Angel
2014-07-24, 05:53 AM

I'm even thinking to remove at all the skill "concentration", and use the check mechanics of Pathfinder for all casters...

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-24, 08:31 AM
I'm even thinking to remove at all the skill "concentration", and use the check mechanics of Pathfinder for all casters...

Either way, by mid levels those checks are easily blown by that they are usually ignored.

Hell failing spellcasting concentration rolls in PF doesn't even provoke an AoO, you just fail to cast a spell.

One thing 5e has (that I've seen homebrewed similar in 3.P) is the advantage and disadvantage system to speed this process up.

Threatened? Disadvantage on attack roll (2d20 take worse result). No attacks of opportunity or skill checks. I've also seen DMs award advantage on a save when the caster is threatened and they cast a non-attack roll spell (target rolls 2d20 takes better result).

Really speeds up game play in 3.P and 4e.

I think the first time I saw this the DM called it " Distraction" back when 4e first came out. But it is nice to see 5e adopt a rule like this.